PDA

View Full Version : Where to find oil drain plug size?

Mrs. Colleen
09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I need to know the thread size and pitch for the oil drain plug on my bike but I cannot find the info anywhere. :idk: I want to eventually put on a plug that is pre drilled for safety wire. Mark asked the guys at the bike shop to look it up in the catalogs but there are no pre drilled ones made specifically for my bike. I need to find the size so I can find out if there is another bike's that would fit.

...unless anyone knows if the bike shop would be able to drill it for me? :idk:

Dnyce
09-07-2008, 04:52 PM
is it allen head and flush with the pan, or a hex head? im assuming the head is stripped, not the threads rite?

Mrs. Colleen
09-07-2008, 04:59 PM
is it allen head and flush with the pan, or a hex head? im assuming the head is stripped, not the threads rite?

Sorry...I just reread what I wrote and realized it was a bit confusing...I wrote up two posts for two different forums and left out some stuff on this one. :lol: :willy:

I want to eventually replace my current oil drain plug with one that is pre drilled for safety wire. Nothing is wrong with the one I have and I don't want to drain the oil just to find out the size.

Mrs. Colleen
09-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I edited my origional post...sorry. :willy:

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Ummm...why not just either take it off and drill it or take it off and run it to an auto parts store,your stealership or an oil change place? For the record my Yamaha was the same as a Honda car. A 10mm fine thread I think... that was 10 years ago...:hangman: I'M OLD!!!

DLIT
09-07-2008, 08:02 PM
A friend or a bike shop will safety wire it for you. I need to get mine done by the 13th.

Mrs. Colleen
09-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Ummm...why not just either take it off and drill it or take it off and run it to an auto parts store,your stealership or an oil change place? For the record my Yamaha was the same as a Honda car. A 10mm fine thread I think... that was 10 years ago...:hangman: I'M OLD!!!

I have only put about 250 miles on since my last oil change so I am trying to figure this out without having to drain the oil. I probably wont end up doing a track day until the spring so I guess I will just put it all off until my next oil change and then take it in.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

Gas Man
09-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Normally you can look it up for your bike...

But if that's not available for your older bike, I don't think you have much choice but to pull it and check. Just wait till this winter, pull it, check it, get/order the new one.

Amber Lamps
09-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Normally you can look it up for your bike...

But if that's not available for your older bike, I don't think you have much choice but to pull it and check. Just wait till this winter, pull it, check it, get/order the new one.

Besides,getting one at an oil change place will be cheap. If you bring it in while you're getting your car oil done they'll probably give it to you. In any case,it'll be cheaper than from a dealer.

marko138
09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Most track organizations don't require Novice's to safety wire....so if thats your concern you can probly get by w/o for a while.

PiZdETS
09-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Just use gum as an oil drain plug. Most tracks are cool with it.

azoomm
09-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Most track organizations don't require Novice's to safety wire....so if thats your concern you can probly get by w/o for a while.

Yup

Unless you have plans on getting into racing this late in the season...

Dnyce
09-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Yup

Unless you have plans on getting into racing this late in the season...

a few places out here have started to ask that u safety wire the drain plug and filter, novices too

Mrs. Colleen
09-10-2008, 12:36 AM
a few places out here have started to ask that u safety wire the drain plug and filter, novices too

:yes: One of the organizations that I may end up going with already require it for everyone. :cheers:

Dnyce
09-10-2008, 12:50 AM
:yes: One of the organizations that I may end up going with already require it for everyone. :cheers:

trackxperience?

Mrs. Colleen
09-10-2008, 12:58 AM
trackxperience?

Not sure about them...Fastrack Riders was who I was thinking about.

Dnyce
09-10-2008, 01:05 AM
Not sure about them...Fastrack Riders was who I was thinking about.

ah-still gonna do buttonwillow?
when i was looking into trackxperience, they were telling me they want u to have it done as well, and they will start requiring it for all riders real soon. that was like a month ago. makes sense to have it done regardless tho. when ya goin?

Mrs. Colleen
09-10-2008, 01:12 AM
ah-still gonna do buttonwillow?
when i was looking into trackxperience, they were telling me they want u to have it done as well, and they will start requiring it for all riders real soon. that was like a month ago. makes sense to have it done regardless tho. when ya goin?

I was hoping to go this fall but my husband's friend that has the truck and the trailer just sold his R1 last month...and wont be getting another until he can get an 09. So it looks like we will not be going until spring.

Kinda sucks because one of the groups (cannot think of which one) had REALLY cheap days this fall...but if we rent a truck and pay for the hotel and gas (without splitting it with a third person) our price goes way up. :td:

But we are looking into taking the Miata out to the Streets once or twice this fall. :D :cheers:

Dnyce
09-10-2008, 01:21 AM
cool.

how far are u guys from the track?

azoomm
09-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Interesting.

*knock on wood*

That is one thing that I haven't had issue with yet. Granted, in this business it isn't always about the issues that are created on the track surface... but, sometimes about the customer base you wish to attract.

You know, if you require bellypans and safetywire - you will attract those with more of a race interest. ;) Or, even those that are not true novice level.

Mrs. Colleen
09-10-2008, 10:37 AM
cool.

how far are u guys from the track?

We are 140 miles (about 2 hours) from Willow Springs and about 180 miles from California Speedway and Button Willow. Not sure about miles but we are about 3 hours from Laguna Seca. :cheers:

pickle.of.doom
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Interesting.

*knock on wood*

That is one thing that I haven't had issue with yet. Granted, in this business it isn't always about the issues that are created on the track surface... but, sometimes about the customer base you wish to attract.

You know, if you require bellypans and safetywire - you will attract those with more of a race interest. ;) Or, even those that are not true novice level.

Not true... there are far too many people with way too much money on their hands... I see people show up for their first track day on bikes that look like they are prepped for an AMA race... sponsor logo's and all...

JoJoYZF
09-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Not true... there are far too many people with way too much money on their hands... I see people show up for their first track day on bikes that look like they are prepped for an AMA race... sponsor logo's and all...

This way they can look fast even if theyre not. Besides it makes em look awesome while sitting on the bike in the pits...

Dnyce
09-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Interesting.

*knock on wood*

its only the oil pan and filter, not the whole bike. filters come pre drilled. u gotta tape up the lights, remove a few fuses, swap coolant probably, so realistically i would think a novice rider isnt really a bike novice, and it wouldnt be a big deal to require that 1 extra step i would think.

but u own a track, so u would know better than i lol, but no1 seems to be complaining about it out here

We are 140 miles (about 2 hours) from Willow Springs and about 180 miles from California Speedway and Button Willow. Not sure about miles but we are about 3 hours from Laguna Seca. :cheers:

im the same distance from willow springs, but only 45mins from cali speedway if traffics not bad. i got to watch some qualifying for a ama race there once when i was there racing at the dragstrip, way better than tv, and that was just qualifying.

Cutty72
09-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Trackaddix doesn't require anything until you start actually racing.

wondering though, on the Buell, how I would go about safety wiring stuff.
the drain plug is a recessed allen head, and the filter is a cartridge type, with 4 bolts holding on the cover/casing.
so... safety wire those 4 bolts, but, how to go about covering the plug??

Dnyce
09-11-2008, 02:50 AM

the drain plug is a recessed allen head, and the filter is a cartridge type, with 4 bolts holding on the cover/casing.

dont think u have to wire the flush ones, they cant get ripped off

Cutty72
09-11-2008, 02:51 AM
dont think u have to wire the flush ones, they cant get ripped off

oh, ok. guess i figured it was more for them possibly coming loose rather than getting ripped off/out in a wreck.

Dnyce
09-11-2008, 06:48 AM
thats what safety wiring is for really, but it cant be loosened by anything if its safety wired, and theres nothin to loosen it if its flush. idk.

ripped out was a bad explanation i guess.

lookin at mine, it can be done but i need pics to explain it

marko138
09-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Really? My oil plug is a standard deal. 3/8" plug I believe. The filter is a standard screw on...which is a K&N...which has a nut on the end pre-drilled for safety wire.

Mrs. Colleen
09-11-2008, 10:58 AM
im the same distance from willow springs, but only 45mins from cali speedway if traffics not bad. i got to watch some qualifying for a ama race there once when i was there racing at the dragstrip, way better than tv, and that was just qualifying.

We went to the races there a couple years ago. It was a lot of fun...it was a great place to watch because you can get around a lot of the track.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/AFIDrummerGirl/AMA%20Race/Lap1.jpg

AMA in two weeks at Laguna! We will be there! :rockout:

'73 H1 Triple
09-12-2008, 08:23 PM
...unless anyone knows if the bike shop would be able to drill it for me? :idk:

PM sent :dthumb:

Jeff

Cutty72
09-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Really? My oil plug is a standard deal. 3/8" plug I believe. The filter is a standard screw on...which is a K&N...which has a nut on the end pre-drilled for safety wire.

Firebolt = HD engine
1125 = Rotax engine

the Drainplug on the left side by the filter is flush mounted. the one on the right is a standard plug, but metric sized.