PDA

View Full Version : Help! I think I bought a turd!

firstcherokeekid
09-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I have had my new to me 06 gsxr 750 for about a month now. I bought it from a local dealer. Here is the issue. There is a very very loud whine in first and second gear on decel and down shifts. I had my friend take it up and down the street to see what he thought. You could here the whine over the exhaust and normal engine noise while riding. So loud in-fact that was all you could hear as the bike went by. The other issue is sometimes it will get hung up between first and neutral. If sitting at a dead stop in neutral and you pull in the clutch to shift into first the gear indicator goes blank and the neutral light will be off but yet the bike is still in neutral. But if I shift straight from second down to first it goes right into gear with no problem. I have to let out the clutch just a little and then the bike will go into gear. It does this very same thing over and over. I have changed the oil. Checked the chain. Adjusted the clutch cable. Any ideas as to what it could be. I have no idea what was done to this bike prior to me buying it. The shop I bought it from keeps telling me nothing is wrong with it. Just to prove to myself that I was not crazy I went and test rode another 06 750 with about the same mileage and nothing close to how my bike sounds. I have used the search function as well and did not find anything close to what issues I have. If anyone has any prior exp with this problem please help me out before I pull my hair out.
Thanks in advance
Jessica

BobTheBiker
09-15-2008, 12:38 AM
check my response over on JGP forums. although it IS a zuki, and I'm partial to Hondas myself, but it could just be a piece of junk. you never know on those freakin things. but how many miles are on it?

firstcherokeekid
09-15-2008, 12:40 AM
check my response over on JGP forums. although it IS a zuki, and I'm partial to Hondas myself, but it could just be a piece of junk. you never know on those freakin things. but how many miles are on it?

I am a Honda fan at heart as well. I also have an RC51. The gsxr has about 8,500 miles. I hope it is not a p.o.s. I was hoping to make this the new track bike.

OTB
09-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Check your chain tension...if it is too tight, you will get that whine....otherwise, sounds like you are about to blow a tranny bearing.

OTB
09-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I see you checked the chain.....I don't know haw many miles you put on when you changed the oil, but it is always a good idea when you think you have issues to put a fine strainer over your catch pan when you drain the oil to check for metal shavings. Also, check the magnet on the drain plug for chunks and chips....that'll let you know if things are starting to chew themselves up....

Amber Lamps
09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Check your chain tension...if it is too tight, you will get that whine....otherwise, sounds like you are about to blow a tranny bearing.

I thought chain at first too... I imagine you didn't pony up for the warranty huh?

PhiSig1071
09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Wait, you have an RC51 and just bought a 750 as a track bike?

MARRY ME!

:drool:

jk

It does sound like your chain tension may be a little too tight, on decel the weight shift forward would stretch the chain more, which is why you wouldn't hear it on acceleration. As for the bike not clicking into gear, that's actualy not uncommon, the shift dogs are slightly overbuilt to withstand wear better, and sometimes they will aling and prevent the bike from clicking into gear, all it takes is slipping the clutch very slightly to get them to mesh. I would be much more concerned about the transmission if it jumps out of gear. I hope this helps, now about that marriage proposal.... :lol:

No Worries
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
My first guess would be a broken clutch spring. But if it was mine, I would put it up on wheel stands and listen to where the noise is coming from. If the noise is from the clutch area, it could be several things, and you would have to take the clutch apart.

firstcherokeekid
09-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Wait, you have an RC51 and just bought a 750 as a track bike?

MARRY ME!

:drool:

jk

It does sound like your chain tension may be a little too tight, on decel the weight shift forward would stretch the chain more, which is why you wouldn't hear it on acceleration. As for the bike not clicking into gear, that's actualy not uncommon, the shift dogs are slightly overbuilt to withstand wear better, and sometimes they will aling and prevent the bike from clicking into gear, all it takes is slipping the clutch very slightly to get them to mesh. I would be much more concerned about the transmission if it jumps out of gear. I hope this helps, now about that marriage proposal.... :lol:

I am not signing shit.......hahaha. Not the chain or the tensioner. I am afraid it is something internal either tranny or somewhere along those lines. But god forbid I have to split the cases on a bike I have not even had a month yet.....So pissed right now.

firstcherokeekid
09-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks for all the help. Screw it. I am taking it to the track this weekend. Maybe I just end up blowing up the damn thing and that will give me an excuse to drop a whole new motor in it that I know has not been abused by anyone but me....hahaha.

JoJoYZF
09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for all the help. Screw it. I am taking it to the track this weekend. Maybe I just end up blowing up the damn thing and that will give me an excuse to drop a whole new motor in it that I know has not been abused by anyone but me....hahaha.

Now thats a great attitude. I like it

BobTheBiker
09-16-2008, 03:46 AM
heh, thats how I'd do it. wtf do I care? if I had two bikes I wouldnt give a damn as long as ONE of them ran well. it blows up, its just something to do this weekend other than tv.

papapoi
09-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Jess sounds Like the RC gods are pissed at ya. hope ya get it figured out.

PhiSig1071
09-16-2008, 10:49 AM

:lol:

That's awesome! Good luck with it! If it does blow up and you need a hand doing a motor swap let me know.

Captain Morgan
09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I wish I had that much money to just blow on a bike, then say hell with it if it's not running right and go out and try to blow up the motor just so I can spend money on putting a new one in.

firstcherokeekid
09-17-2008, 12:31 AM
I wish I had that much money to just blow on a bike, then say hell with it if it's not running right and go out and try to blow up the motor just so I can spend money on putting a new one in.

You can when you eat potted meat and crackers like I do.....hahaha. Dont ever go shopping for clothes or save pennies and coupons because you know it means more trackdays and bike parts......woohoo. :rockout:

BobTheBiker
09-17-2008, 12:44 AM
You can when you eat potted meat and crackers like I do.....hahaha. Dont ever go shopping for clothes or save pennies and coupons because you know it means more trackdays and bike parts......woohoo. :rockout:

jesus christ, I dont even give a damn if you're male or female, MARRY ME! I can fab up bike parts in my room, and often do out of sheer curiousity to see if I really can.

firstcherokeekid
09-17-2008, 12:52 AM
:lol:

That's awesome! Good luck with it! If it does blow up and you need a hand doing a motor swap let me know.

Hope you are serious cause I dont know a damn thing about tearing into a motor. Looks like lots of beer and busted knuckle time......hahaha.

jesus christ, I dont even give a damn if you're male or female, MARRY ME! I can fab up bike parts in my room, and often do out of sheer curiousity to see if I really can.

Damn free bike parts..... Hell yea. I got a list.....hahaha. What type of parts do you make? Can you copy parts as well?

BobTheBiker
09-17-2008, 02:21 AM
provided they're not precision type things, but stuff like bodywork and simple-ish stuff I can do here. unfortunately, I dont have a CNC machine, nor a machine shop in my bedroom(much as I'd enjoy it)

PhiSig1071
09-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Hope you are serious cause I dont know a damn thing about tearing into a motor. Looks like lots of beer and busted knuckle time......hahaha.

Sure, why not? Where are you located? I'm only a little more mechanically inclined than you are, but doing a motor swap is something I can figure out.

No Worries
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Parts and bikes can always be replaced. But if the rear wheel locks up at speed or when in a corner, the results can be horrific. Take PhiSig's offer of help.

OneSickPsycho
09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Where did my video go?