PDA

View Full Version : Holy Sheet... Spec Tire In Motogp

Mr Lefty
09-24-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2008/September/22-28/sep2408-motogp-to-confirm-bridgestone-tyres-for-2009/

:jd:

One-make MotoGP tyre rule to be confirmed in Japan

By Matthew Birt
MotoGP
24 September 2008 09:52
MotoGP (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/?&N=343+391) will adopt a one-make tyre rule in 2009, with Bridgestone (http://shop.motorcyclenews.com/ProductList.aspx?catID=%28Tyres%29) the exclusive supplier.
The move to a mono brand, which will spell the end of Michelin’s long and successful MotoGP association, will be confirmed at a meeting of the Grand Prix Commission in Japan later this month.
Although it is believed that Michelin will bid for the contract, the overwhelming support for Bridgestone will tip the balance in the Japanese company’s favour. MCN understands that the tyres will be supplied to teams free of charge, but they will have to pay for tyres to test with, though final details will be thrashed out at the Twin Ring Motegi this weekend.
MCN also understands that despite reluctance to cease competition in MotoGP, Bridgestone has relented and finally told Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta that it will supply the grid in 2009.
Ezpeleta is understood to have got the assurance after meetings with Bridgestone senior management at the recent inaugural Valencia Formula One race.
Ezpeleta confirmed to MCN that his personal view was that a one-make tyre rule would help stop increasing concerns about the growth in corner speeds on the new generation 800cc machines.
“It seems that is the best option but we have to wait, “said Ezpeleta, who again refuted suggestions that he was using the safety angle to implement a one-make tyre rule purely to help the show, with MotoGP being branded boring too often.
“The promoters came to and told me of their concern about increase in the corner speeds. I don’t need an excuse to do anything or use safety as a reason. We kept competition for this season and in the my opinion the result has not been very good, “added the Spaniard.
One thing that definitely won’t be happening is a shock switch back to the old 990cc four-strokes, which were deemed too fast at the end of 2006 and scrapped.
Most riders prefer a switch back to 990s to help reduce corner speeds but Ezpeleta said: “This is completely impossible. Even the riders realise this is not possible.”
With Bridgestone hot favourites to be the one-make supplier, Rossi and Stoner will both be relieved, as they were reluctant to have to switch back to Michelin.
Rossi controversially engineered a switch from Michelin to Bridgestone last season because he was so angered with Michelin’s performance. And Aussie Stoner has never waned from criticising Michelin for his treatment during his rookie MotoGP campaign in 2006.
Rossi said: “If they decided to modify the rules, the question mark is which type of tyre? For sure Bridgestone and Michelin have more experience and it is a big risk to change with another tyre manufacturer who has no experience with MotoGP bikes, like for example Pirelli in World Superbikes. I hope its not Michelin because I don’t know which tyre they would give to me, “said Rossi, who said it was too risky to give Dunlop the contract after an expected bidding process.
“Dunlop for me is a big risk because it would be starting from zero and in two months they need a lot of development to build tyres for this type of bike. For me they have to decide between Bridgestone and Michelin.”
Stoner though did admit if Michelin won the contract to provide tyres, he would have no choice but to accept the decision.
“I’ve been happy with Bridgestone since the beginning. They have been very good to me.”

Trip
09-24-2008, 07:47 PM
good, then everyone can shut up about it being a tire thing when Rossi dominates the piss out of them.

Mr Lefty
09-24-2008, 09:46 PM
good, then everyone can shut up about it being a tire thing when Rossi dominates the piss out of them.

:lol: true... but they're also doing it to SLOW THE BIKES DOWN... they're apparently carrying too much corner speed... :wtf:

Amber Lamps
09-24-2008, 09:52 PM
:lol: true... but they're also doing it to SLOW THE BIKES DOWN... they're apparently carrying too much corner speed... :wtf:

They could make everyone race with Kaw and Suzy next year to slow the bikes down...:leaving:

JoJoYZF
09-24-2008, 09:55 PM
They could make everyone race with Kaw and Suzy next year to slow the bikes down...:leaving:

:lol: Truth

Mr Lefty
09-24-2008, 10:05 PM

shit suzy isn't THAT slow... fuck Rossi on a 990 I think could beat the Kawi 800's

PiZdETS
09-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Good. The one make tire rules in F1 helped the competition tremendously though if one team is head and shoulder above the rest they will dominate, obviously.
I understand they wont switch back to 990cc but it would be great if they decreased the size of the tires. Motogp bike + 170 series tire = crazy amounts of backing it in/drifting. :drool: That's what the 800's have been missing.

Mr Lefty
09-24-2008, 10:18 PM
if the 800's are too fast through the corners... then why did they go from 990 to the 800? wasn't it because the 990's were too fast in the straights?

what size tire do they run now? 190's?

PiZdETS
09-24-2008, 10:31 PM
if the 800's are too fast through the corners... then why did they go from 990 to the 800? wasn't it because the 990's were too fast in the straights?

what size tire do they run now? 190's?
I believe you're right on all counts.
Switching to 800's completely backfired on the governing body. Going fast straight is easy and relatively safe, going around turns fast is hard and pretty dangerous (look at jorge lorenzo's crash reel from this season. Highsides, highsides and more highsides). Durr, any street rider could've told them that.

Mr Lefty
09-24-2008, 11:10 PM
wonder what their reasoning for not going back to the 990's is then.

not that I'm complaining... though it's just gonna feed the street bikes with ways of getting more power...

but it's also gonna cause more R&D into electronics... and that really tames down the races IMO... I don't wanna see anyone hurt... but the spectacular high sides are fun to watch...

too bad they won't put more R&D into safety such as that air bag apparatus in the other thread...

Rider
09-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I think a spec tire will be good for MotoGP. Now I can sot back and watch Rossi pwn everyone. :dthumb:

Mr Lefty
09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
I think a spec tire will be good for MotoGP. Now I can sot back and watch Rossi pwn everyone. :dthumb:

yeah no shit. wonder if we'll see a Dovitisoso, DeAngelis, and some of the other mich riders up front more :idk:

pickle.of.doom
09-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I think MCN is jumping the gun on this story, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too much yet.

And 0 competition for a tire company is not a good thing... Spec tires may be a good thing in WSBK just for something different... but MotoGP is about the best of the best of everything, going to a spec tire is a total step in the wrong direction. Why not spec engines then? Or spec bikes? How about make it so they are all on the same bike with the rider/weight combo all the same like in the rookies cup?

Mr Lefty
09-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I think MCN is jumping the gun on this story, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too much yet.

And 0 competition for a tire company is not a good thing... Spec tires may be a good thing in WSBK just for something different... but MotoGP is about the best of the best of everything, going to a spec tire is a total step in the wrong direction. Why not spec engines then? Or spec bikes? How about make it so they are all on the same bike with the rider/weight combo all the same like in the rookies cup?

that's why I wanted to see a policy where each race in practice they take what ever tire posted the fastest times... and use that make for that race... could vary between each track... but it'd prevent a cluster fuck like Bruno was, while still keeping competition alive between the tire manufactures...

PiZdETS
09-25-2008, 03:59 PM
that's why I wanted to see a policy where each race in practice they take what ever tire posted the fastest times... and use that make for that race... could vary between each track... but it'd prevent a cluster fuck like Bruno was, while still keeping competition alive between the tire manufactures...
Nah cant do that, some bikes like the Ducati will favor a certain compound over the Honda and then each rider may like a different construction from everyone else. A supersoft compound may work perfectly for DeAngelis while his teammate can't get the hang of it at all.
Hopefully Bridgestone will continue coming up with different makes for each team but when they become the only maker they really don't have to try hard at all. They're the spec tire maker in F1 though and aside from lots of punctures they do pretty well.

For sure when the one make tire rule comes into effect you will see less of a tumbling times effect where the lap records are reset at every track, every year by quite a margin.
Hopefully it will bring the racers all closer together as it was designed to do.

Mr Lefty
09-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Nah cant do that, some bikes like the Ducati will favor a certain compound over the Honda and then each rider may like a different construction from everyone else. A supersoft compound may work perfectly for DeAngelis while his teammate can't get the hang of it at all.
Hopefully Bridgestone will continue coming up with different makes for each team but when they become the only maker they really don't have to try hard at all. They're the spec tire maker in F1 though and aside from lots of punctures they do pretty well.

For sure when the one make tire rule comes into effect you will see less of a tumbling times effect where the lap records are reset at every track, every year by quite a margin.
Hopefully it will bring the racers all closer together as it was designed to do.

well I just meant make... not compound... the teams would still have a choice of compound... but they'd have to chose only from the manufacture who had the best time... so tire choice by teams still comes into play... but you don't have a "bruno" again

smileyman
09-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Bottom line is the team with the best electronic package to take advantage of whichever rubber was present would be fastest. It is a wonderful idea to try and balance the field but in the end teh team that has the technical advantages, like in Formula One, will find their way to the front again.

Now in WSBK the spec tire closed the ranks a good bit but primarily because even though tractioon control and electronic aids are present they are not at the level of the MotoGP systems...

Mr Lefty
09-25-2008, 05:44 PM
looks as though everything is going Honda's way... where it'll be the bike not the rider who wins... all this traction control bs... I say bring back the 500cc two strokes and call it good!

Mr Lefty
09-27-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/september/22-28/sep2708-ducati-in-michelin-talks/

if it doesn't go... Stoner could be on Mich next year... bet that makes him happy! :lol:

Mr Lefty
09-28-2008, 02:19 AM
confirmed!!!
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/Grand+Prix+Commission+decides+on+single+tyre+rule+ for+2009

In a meeting at the Motegi circuit on Sunday morning the Grand Prix Commission decided unanimously that there will be a single tyre supplier in the MotoGP class as of 2009.

http://resources.motogp.com/files/images/xx/2008/MotoGP/Misc/non/232537_MotoGP+group+in+action-1280x960-sep28.jpg.preview.jpg (http://www.motogp.com/en/photos/2008/MotoGP+group+in+action+23) For safety and cost reasons, the Grand Prix Commission, composed of Messrs. Carmelo Ezpeleta (Dorna, Chairman), Claude Danis (FIM), Herve Poncharal (IRTA) and Takanao Tsubouchi (MSMA), in the presence of Mr. Paul Butler (Secretary of the meeting), in a meeting held today at the circuit of Motegi, unanimously decided to introduce the following change to the FIM Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix Regulations:
The Grand Prix Commission has decided unanimously that there will be a single tyre supplier for the MotoGP class from 2009. Proposals to supply the tyres must be handed to the FIM and Dorna by 3rd October at the latest. The final decision will be announced by the GP Commission by 18th October at the latest.
Mr. Ezpeleta commented, `We postponed the decision until today so that we could get more ideas and opinions about it. Finally we decided, the Grand Prix Commission, unanimously, for safety reasons and to reduce costs that we would go to a one tyre rule. Now the FIM ask for a tender, which means that the tyre manufacturers who are interested in competing for the tender must send their offers before next Saturday. From there we will study the different offers and then no later than 18th October the Grand Prix Commission will decide who will supply the tyres.´

pickle.of.doom
09-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I bet it ends up on Michelins, I don't think Bridgestone will prove they are capable of supplying an entire series of riders for a full season as well as Michelin will.

Mr Lefty
09-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I bet it ends up on Michelins, I don't think Bridgestone will prove they are capable of supplying an entire series of riders for a full season as well as Michelin will.

means a shitty race in Bruno then :lol:

Mr Lefty
10-06-2008, 06:20 AM
damn pickle... your shoot'n blanks for this one

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2008/October/1-7/oct0408michelin-explain-motogp-quit-decision/

:lol: for the record I agreed with ya

Michelin explains MotoGP quit decision

By Matthew Birt

MotoGP

04 October 2008 09:59

Michelin has explained why it didn’t try and win the tyre supply deal for the 2009 MotoGP world championship.

The French factory let a deadline pass without submitting a bid to win the contract, with MotoGP switching to a one-make tyre rule for next season.

Although a tender was put out by the FIM at last weekend’s Japanese GP at the Twin Ring Motegi, it was already common knowledge that Bridgestone was the favoured supplier.

Michelin’s refusal to bid confirmed what MCN revealed earlier this month that Bridgestone would supply tyres for the single tyre rule, which was introduced on safety grounds because of concerns about the increased corner speeds of the new generation 800cc machines.

A statement released by Michelin ahead of tomorrow’s Australian GP, read: “Michelin has decided not to submit a bid to the governing body of the MotoGP world championship. At the same time, Michelin regrets not being able to contribute to the organisers’ important discussions to improve rider safety and reduce costs.

"The spirit of competition has always been central to Michelin. Motor sports at the highest level are useful because competition among several tyre manufacturers is a valuable stimulus for developing increasingly high-performance tyres that will one day equip customer vehicles. Tyres play a key role in a vehicle's performance and can make a considerable difference.

"This competition among manufacturers helps to make racing exciting. The radial tyre, which was invented by Michelin, has been improved through racing, and the improvements have since been passed on to consumers. Michelin’s dual compound technology for motorcycle tyres was first tested in MotoGP racing and is today integrated into premium products for the brand’s customers.

"The MotoGP world championship organisers have decided to use a single tyre supplier for the coming seasons, which effectively eliminates the competitive environment that has led to so much progress. The R&D resources allocated for MotoGP racing will be redeployed to support innovation, which is at the heart of Michelin’s customer-focused strategy."