PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Delay?

Quick281
10-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Decided to start a new topic to keep this subject seperate from the HID conversation in case anyone else every searches for it.

A while back when I looked into HIDs I saw a product that helped delay the headlights by about 15 seconds or so. I believe this was to allow the battery to use full power to start the bike and allow the lights to come on after the bike was running.

I want to say I saw this product on one of the GSXR forums but my job won't allow me to access any sites officially listed as a forum. (Thank god I can get on here!)

Any ways, does anyone know of such products and if they are needed or offer any long term benefits?

I suppose the downside to such a product would be if the bike stalled at a stop light at night. The bike would then be driving for x-amount of time without a head light after the stall. Something to be considered I suppose.

Mr Lefty
10-04-2008, 12:59 AM
I bought one... didn't end up using it and gave it to Cutty...

when you turn the key to on... do your headlights come on? or do they wait until after you have tried to start? if the later... I'd say don't worry about it...

mine delayed themselves a bit so that the bulb wasn't sucking power durring start up... so since the HID kit got it's signal from the headlight plug... it was delayed as well...

I'll have to look up where i got that delay though...

found it

http://www.tripageled.com/main.html

Quick281
10-04-2008, 01:02 AM
They come on with the ignition, so I suppose it may be something to look into. However the light does shut off for the split second that I am on the starter.

Thanks for the link Ebbs. Maybe you should get your own forum, your on point tonight. :D

Mr Lefty
10-04-2008, 01:08 AM
then I'd get the delay... better safe than sorry when you go to start your bike one night... ya know?

marko138
10-04-2008, 01:12 AM
How much power do they draw? Is it really a concern?

Mr Lefty
10-04-2008, 01:14 AM
durring fire up of the ballist they pull alot of power... but once that's done... it's less than a halogen bulb... but it's just a huge tax on your charging system when your trying to start the bike and you've got the ballists sucking power too...

marko138
10-04-2008, 01:17 AM
So it's significant to say the least. Is there a noticable loss of starting power?

Trip
10-04-2008, 01:20 AM
yes there is, the ballasts suck a lot of amps. If I was starting with more than one ballast I would have invested in a delay relay.

marko138
10-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Interesting. I thought about HID's...but I've got a new set of headlights being installed on Tuesday...free of charge...courtesy of Erik Buell.

Gas Man
10-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Ebbs... where is the delay module? I might have another use for it....

No Worries
10-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Delay switch? Why not just put in a switch that shuts off the lights? Just gotta remember to turn them back on.

Trip
10-04-2008, 05:31 PM

tripageled.com, I know if you look in the 07-08 600rr accessories it's under HID delay relay

Mr Lefty
10-04-2008, 05:42 PM

tripageled.com, I know if you look in the 07-08 600rr accessories it's under HID delay relay

yeah they use some sort of mini window that doesn't change the address so I can't link you to the actual product...

but if you go to Tripageled.com and click products, any bike... you'll see HID delay listed...

I never hooked mine up... didn't need to... as my ZZR's lights delayed a couple seconds after starting the bike.

t-homo
10-04-2008, 06:32 PM
On mine, I got the high beam only kit, so when I start, I normally just turn the lights off.

Sixxxxer
10-05-2008, 02:45 AM
I'm eventually Getting HID''s and My lights dont turn on until I hit the starter Button...So your saying I wouldnt need the Delay Module??

Mr Lefty
10-05-2008, 02:58 AM
I didn't run one on my Kawi and never had an issue with starting... enven when I left my hid's on for 20mins.. :panic: after my bike was off...

Cutty72
10-05-2008, 03:17 AM

He gave it to me. HID's are in my winter project list, and my lights come on with key on.

I thought about going just HID brights, but the delay would suck...
and I think I'm gonna put wig wags on my bike, so that will be in the highs...

Mr Lefty
10-05-2008, 03:33 AM
just put the PIAA's in the brights

jeeps84
10-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Delay switch? Why not just put in a switch that shuts off the lights? Just gotta remember to turn them back on.

:iagree: Its a simple fix.

Mr Lefty
10-05-2008, 04:04 PM
the delay is a simple fix too... just as easy as the switch... though you don't have to remember to switch the lights back on...

Gas Man
10-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Sweet!