PDA

View Full Version : wet vs dry clutch whats the difference?

BobTheBiker
10-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I know the wet clutch is basically soaked in oil all its life, where the dry clutch isnt, but other than that, whats the difference/advantage of one over the other?

PiZdETS
10-07-2008, 12:19 AM
A dry clutch allows you to be arrogant about your italian exotica to people who innocently ask why your bike sounds like the engine is shattering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebgJJRWLzMI

marko138
10-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Loud clutches save lives.

Rider
10-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Loud clutches are expensive....

the chi
10-07-2008, 11:31 AM
A dry clutch allows you to be arrogant about your italian exotica to people who innocently ask why your bike sounds like the engine is shattering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebgJJRWLzMI

:rofl:

the rattle and whir are completely enthralling...

Gunther1000
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I would have to think that the loss of friction and HP of spinning an oil bathed clutch has something to do with it. But with there TQ numbers this can't be the main reason for the switch. Maybe oil contaminatin also?:idk:

PhiSig1071
10-07-2008, 01:16 PM
"Wet" Clutches are more consistent in operation and have a longer service life due to a more consistent operating temperature, however they have more tendency to slip due to the fluid they are in, thus they require more friction plates. This causes a greater parasitic loss through the clutch due to the resistence of the fluid and the increased mass of more plates. Dry clutches are pretty much the opposite, they are not as consistent and they don't last as long, but they cause less parasitic loss because of fewer plates and less rotating resistence.

Rider
10-07-2008, 01:22 PM
"Wet" Clutches are more consistent in operation and have a longer service life due to a more consistent operating temperature, however they have more tendency to slip due to the fluid they are in, thus they require more friction plates. This causes a greater parasitic loss through the clutch due to the resistence of the fluid and the increased mass of more plates. Dry clutches are pretty much the opposite, they are not as consistent and they don't last as long, but they cause less parasitic loss because of fewer plates and less rotating resistence.

There you have it... the man has spoken. :dthumb:

PhiSig1071
10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh, I also forgot, dry clutches shed heat more effectively (into air rather than into hot oil) which causes less plate expansion. As wet clutch plates expand they shed material due to friction which will get into the oil and can cause premature wear to bearings and other parts in the engine. Also, due to the oncreased number of plates necessary a wet clutch requires a harder "pull" in order to engage and disengage.

Rider
10-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh, I also forgot, dry clutches shed heat more effectively (into air rather than into hot oil) which causes less plate expansion. As wet clutch plates expand they shed material due to friction which will get into the oil and can cause premature wear to bearings and other parts in the engine. Also, due to the oncreased number of plates necessary a wet clutch requires a harder "pull" in order to engage and disengage.

I assume that with the extra plates and oil, wet clutches add more weight as well right?

PhiSig1071
10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I assume that with the extra plates and oil, wet clutches add more weight as well right?

"Wet" Clutches are more consistent in operation and have a longer service life due to a more consistent operating temperature, however they have more tendency to slip due to the fluid they are in, thus they require more friction plates. This causes a greater parasitic loss through the clutch due to the resistance of the fluid and the increased mass of more plates. Dry clutches are pretty much the opposite, they are not as consistent and they don't last as long, but they cause less parasitic loss because of fewer plates and less rotating resistence.

Yep, sure do. Although the oil difference is minimal, and the weight doesn't have as much of an effect on handling as it does the parasitic loss in the drivetrain. Total weight difference is no more than a few lbs, if that.

BobTheBiker
10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
this is what I was wondering pretty much. thanks.

PhiSig1071
10-07-2008, 02:13 PM
No Problem! :dthumb:

fnfalman
10-07-2008, 02:45 PM
The problem with dry clutch is that they drag badly when they heat up. The advantage is that they engage positively.

So, for a race bike, dry clutch doesn't hurt, but for a street bike, dry clutch bites the big one.

marko138
10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Good insight, Phi.

PhiSig1071
10-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Good insight, Phi.

Thanks!

I have to have some use for some of this knowledge! Otherwise I'm just a dork and a weirdo. :lol:

ceo012384
10-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Dry clutches sound like shit, but elitist folks with italian bikes like to think they sound nice.

I for one do not like a bike that idles with the sound of a can of nuts and bolts being shaken vigorously. Sounds retarded.

PhiSig1071
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Dry clutches sound like shit, but elitist folks with italian bikes like to think they sound nice.

I for one do not like a bike that idles with the sound of a can of nuts and bolts being shaken vigorously. Sounds retarded.

:lol:

You should hear an OLD harley! They have open chain primaries, holy hell, it sounds like $50 worth of bolts in a paint-shaker!

BobTheBiker
10-07-2008, 11:32 PM
oh god I cant stand that dry clutch sound. I'd be tearing my bike apart for no reason at all thinking the motor is gonna throw rods or something every 5 mins.

Mr Lefty
10-08-2008, 02:28 AM
the funny thing is, the first time I ever heard a dry clutch was at Indy walk'n in with NtS and everyone... and I remember turning to NtS and being like... fuck... that bike sounds like SHIT... :lol:

Gas Man
10-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Loud clutches are expensive....

Yes, I have $3k into my open belt system and going to add on to it here soon.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/day10-4.jpg

:rofl:

the rattle and whir are completely enthralling...

I love the rattle and the whine!!!

There you have it... the man has spoken. :dthumb:

I haven't said anything yet... :idk: WIERD!

The problem with dry clutch is that they drag badly when they heat up. The advantage is that they engage positively.

So, for a race bike, dry clutch doesn't hurt, but for a street bike, dry clutch bites the big one.

I agree, it engages so much better than the wet clutch. Its INSTANT!

I disagree, I love my dry clutch on the street.

Now mine sounds nothing like the Ducs but is still quite noisy. But the whine above 3k is amazing!! if you can hear it over the 2" open pipes aiming to my right!!!

:lol:

You should hear an OLD harley! They have open chain primaries, holy hell, it sounds like $50 worth of bolts in a paint-shaker!

That could be true.

As far as less plates... hmmm... are you sure? Got a hefty stack here!!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/ClutchFreeplay004.jpg

I ride many different bikes, still ride other BDM wet clutch setups (made by Baker for BDM), as well as some Honda's, Yams, and HDs on a regular basis. Besides the fact that my 2 shimmed gold springed clutch is like squeezing one of those hand excersise things all the time and theirs is 1 or 2 finger. I love the way mine feels and engages... WICKED AWESOME!

Further, I believe with mine, the belt itself being less spun weight from the old wet chain setup has decreased my drive train loss. Combine that with better engagement and smoother shifting and less maintance... I'm all about the dry clutches.

Dnyce
10-08-2008, 03:26 AM
sportbike dry clutches look the best and sound the worse.

marko138
10-08-2008, 08:43 AM
I saw an old beat up Ducati back in June. This thing was ridden HARD. The sound of that clutch was unbelievable. Insanely loud. Loudest clutch I've ever heard. I was in love.

Gas Man
10-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I saw an old beat up Ducati back in June. This thing was ridden HARD. The sound of that clutch was unbelievable. Insanely loud. Loudest clutch I've ever heard. I was in love.
:lol: exactly!!

marko138
10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
:lol: exactly!!
We're on the same page around here lately.

the chi
10-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm with you guys. I dont know what it is, but the sound of a dry clutch, well, to be perfectly honest, it turns me on. Figuratively speaking of course. (So do race engines, track days and properly used tires. So there. :wink:)

First time I heard one, I thought it was horrible, but it has a distinct sound and resonance that just speaks to my soul! Yes, im waxing poetic here, but then riding a bike with one, even for a short moment of time, theres just something about it!! For those that havent found the beauty in it or ridden one, just wait, truly, one day u too will see the light!

Not saying I dont like my wet clutch, but really, apples and oranges almost, dont knock something you dont know!

Gunther1000
10-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Dry clutches sound like crap! Nothing NOTHING that is ment to slide should be DRY:whistle:.

Gas Man
10-10-2008, 11:52 PM
We're on the same page around here lately.

Yes we have... scary isn't it!

I'm with you guys. I dont know what it is, but the sound of a dry clutch, well, to be perfectly honest, it turns me on. Figuratively speaking of course. (So do race engines, track days and properly used tires. So there. :wink:)

First time I heard one, I thought it was horrible, but it has a distinct sound and resonance that just speaks to my soul! Yes, im waxing poetic here, but then riding a bike with one, even for a short moment of time, theres just something about it!! For those that havent found the beauty in it or ridden one, just wait, truly, one day u too will see the light!

Not saying I dont like my wet clutch, but really, apples and oranges almost, dont knock something you dont know!

Really... then you'll love mine and you'll be very excited.

jeeps84
10-11-2008, 12:03 AM

Did you see my Duc? :lol:

JoshuaTree
11-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Not all dry clutches make noise, nor do they wear quickly, yada yada yada ...

:sorry:

:D

marko138
11-06-2008, 07:19 PM

The loud ones sure do sound cool though!

azoomm
11-06-2008, 09:26 PM

Truth.

(hi by the way)

The louder they are, usually the plates are more worn, and usually mushrooming. At least, that's what I've found with the various Ducs I've worked on. The dry slippers have more of a jingle bell ring and rattle than normal dry clutch nutandbolt rattle.

PhiSig1071
11-06-2008, 10:52 PM

They all make noise, some you just can't hear! :lol:

Ducati Diva
11-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I love the sound of my duc

Cutty72
11-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I love the sound of my buell...
oh wait, i don't have a dry clutch...

PiZdETS
11-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I had a dry clutch once.

Then I added oil and it was wet again.

http://h.photos.cx/1223998348573-391.jpg

Ducati Diva
11-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I love the sound of my buell...
oh wait, i don't have a dry clutch...

That's Ok u can still love how it sounds

Archren
11-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Truth.

(hi by the way)

The louder they are, usually the plates are more worn, and usually mushrooming. At least, that's what I've found with the various Ducs I've worked on. The dry slippers have more of a jingle bell ring and rattle than normal dry clutch nutandbolt rattle.

:dthumb:

marko138
11-07-2008, 11:47 AM
:lol: @ Piz.

Particle Man
11-10-2008, 05:38 PM
a wet clutch is a dry clutch that someone got "excited" :lol"

Digifox
11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Gunther1000 & Particle Man

LOL! ! !

But, seriously my bike made a noise like that when i bought it. . .i tore it apart and it was something wrong with it! ! ! !

Rules of an engine. . .if it clatters something is usually broken or nor working. . .
if you have a clattering clutch how do you know when its actually something clattering that chouldnt be?

Archren
11-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Gunther1000 & Particle Man

LOL! ! !

But, seriously my bike made a noise like that when i bought it. . .i tore it apart and it was something wrong with it! ! ! !

Rules of an engine. . .if it clatters something is usually broken or nor working. . .
if you have a clattering clutch how do you know when its actually something clattering that chouldnt be?

Falls under the "knowing your bike" thing... you *know* how it's supposed to sound and feel (even if it rattles "normally").. if that sound changes, you know something is up.

azoomm
11-11-2008, 11:36 PM

But, it doesn't *clatter* or *clunk*. A dry clutch has a ring to it...

Believe me, when something is wrong, she will let you know.

squidward
11-13-2008, 01:43 PM
It's also nice to be able to change plates out without draining oil to do it.

anthonyk
11-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Dry clutch and full floating rotors... Jingle, jingle!

was92v
11-13-2008, 08:22 PM
When racing a bike with no low end torque the clutch takes a beating when the green flag is waved, especially on a ported two stroke. Fairly often when you come in after a race you may need a new clutch before the next race or practice session.
Six screws out, fresh plates in, 6 screws back in..done, between rounds. No oil, gaskets, covers, levers or pedals to deal with and a lot less chance of an leak developing. Then you have time to rebuild the top end of the engine too. I love those smoky (2-stroke) bastards but they sure do have to be worked on a lot.
I like the sound of a dry clutch. When you hear it all the time you can hear the difference between a happy and unhappy clutch pretty easy.

ceo012384
11-15-2008, 09:30 PM
The dry clutch sound is the tabs on the clutch plates slamming around against the tangs on the clutch basket because there is no oil in between to protect the surfaces...

... and it sounds like shit.

Archren
11-17-2008, 07:49 AM
The dry clutch sound is the tabs on the clutch plates slamming around against the tangs on the clutch basket because there is no oil in between to protect the surfaces...

... and it sounds like shit.

Different strokes for different folks. :idk: No one said you HAD to like it.. and no one said I COULDN'T like it. redflip

marko138
11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Different strokes for different folks. :idk: No one said you HAD to like it.. and no one said I COULDN'T like it. redflip
Thats CEO's nature...if you don't race a R6 exactly like he does and do everything concerning motorcycles exactly the way he does then you suck. He's right. We are all wrong. Period.

ceo012384
11-17-2008, 01:09 PM
He's right. We are all wrong. Period.
You're learning, son. You're learning.

marko138
11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
You're learning, son. You're learning.
I catch on quick.

101lifts2
11-19-2008, 12:15 AM

Clutches only create heat when they are slipping.

PhiSig1071
11-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Clutches only create heat when they are slipping.

:scratch: Um, no.

Friction creates heat. Whenever the clutch engages and disengages it creates friction between two surfaces being slowly (or occasionally rapidly, eh Ebbs?) moved together or apart. That generates heat. Not as much heat as if the plates are worn out and they slip, but it still generates heat.

anthonyk
11-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Also, due to the oncreased number of plates necessary a wet clutch requires a harder "pull" in order to engage and disengage.

Interesting... I'd expect the opposite. More plates = more friction (though maybe the oil negates that) and so less squeezing force is required by the springs to get the same amount of total friction out of the thing.

PhiSig1071
11-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Interesting... I'd expect the opposite. More plates = more friction (though maybe the oil negates that) and so less squeezing force is required by the springs to get the same amount of total friction out of the thing.

:scratch:

The squeezing force is separating the clutch plates, so other than that you're right. The "squeeze" separates the clutch plates, and more clutch plates means more effort.