PDA

View Full Version : GP Shifting

Antwanny
10-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Anyone tried it? Just curious
________
CANNABIS COLLECTIVE (http://dispensaries.org/)
________
CHEAP AIRSOFT PELLETS (http://airsoft-shop.info/categories/pellets/)

Mrs. Colleen
10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Seems pointless unless you are a pro. :idk:

Captain Morgan
10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Seems pointless unless you are a pro. :idk:

It might seem that way, but a lot of guys try it and like it. However, it's difficult to go back to a "regular" bike after you've been riding one with GP shift for a long time. Just ask DLIT.

Mr Lefty
10-09-2008, 09:27 PM
and it keeps people from riding off with your bike... just ask Trip... though they do end up hiding it in the bushes... :lol:

Mrs. Colleen
10-09-2008, 09:36 PM
It might seem that way, but a lot of guys try it and like it. However, it's difficult to go back to a "regular" bike after you've been riding one with GP shift for a long time. Just ask DLIT.

Like it as a preference or like it because there is some advantage? :idk:

If there is something I am missing please let me know.........:idk:

Trip
10-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I use it, I like it. It's good for track because when you are upshifting out of a corner it is much easier to press down than reach under and pull up. Especially in a left turn where you might not have the clearance to reach under.

Mr Lefty
10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
to be honest... it always seemed GP shift was the comon sense way of shifting... :idk: just me...

infact when first learning how to shift i had to remember to pull up to go fast (next gear)

jtemple
10-09-2008, 09:46 PM
So how is the learning curve switching from regular to GP?

Trip
10-09-2008, 09:48 PM

annoying

PhiSig1071
10-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Kevin Schwantz used standard shift.

If he uses it it's good enough for me.

Mr Lefty
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
ehh I think it's all personal preference... just like tires... one suits one person better than the other

JoJoYZF
10-09-2008, 10:42 PM
ehh I think it's all personal preference... just like tires... one suits one person better than the other

That seems to cover it.

ceo012384
10-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I run GP and will never go back. It's fucking awesome.
It took me a day of street riding to get used to it. I never miss shifts.

Then at my last track day I took my buddy's motard out, which is standard shift, and didn't have any problems. I think I made one mistaken upshift, not a big deal.

By the middle of next year I will have a few bikes of varying shift configurations; I don't anticipate having any problems.

DLIT
10-09-2008, 11:14 PM
I love it. I was riding my new bike home from the dealer and I had to think before I shifted because I'm so use to it now. It's great for the track and it's fun on the streets. I got use to it on the streets and then took it to the track.

I think if it doesn't cost anything to convert it, everyone should try it. You might like it.

Antwanny
10-09-2008, 11:23 PM
lol its like 2 bolts for me so i just may : )
________
Ford ikon history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Ikon)
________
Granny Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/granny/)

Mr Lefty
10-09-2008, 11:26 PM
I'd have swapped but the damn motor was in the way... so I just totaled my bike and i'm buying the 600rr just so I can do GP shift.

DLIT
10-09-2008, 11:28 PM
lol its like 2 bolts for me so i just may : )

Do it then.

Trip
10-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I'd have swapped but the damn motor was in the way... so I just totaled my bike and i'm buying the 600rr just so I can do GP shift.

if 09 is anything like the 07-08, you need rearsets to do it unless you want to ziptie some tubes out of the way in an awkward spot. I didn't switch til I got my rearsets.

Mr Lefty
10-09-2008, 11:41 PM
ahh... well if the stock pegs are anything like the Kawi's... they'll be gone quick. didn't realize how much I hated those till i got my Vortex... felt much more stable.. and I never even went through proper twisty's with the stock ones...

Trip
10-09-2008, 11:42 PM
ahh... well if the stock pegs are anything like the Kawi's... they'll be gone quick. didn't realize how much I hated those till i got my Vortex... felt much more stable.. and I never even went through proper twisty's with the stock ones...

stock ones were fine with me, I didn't replace until my little barber slide.

Mr Lefty
10-09-2008, 11:49 PM
fair enough... I really don't care about the GP thing... I need to focus on leaving stop lights :lol:

Cutty72
10-10-2008, 02:02 AM
I switched to GP on the SV and really liked it. Took a couple of hours riding to truely get used to it.. The most common mis shift for me was first.

I'd do it on the Buell, but waiting for the kit to come out for those w/o a racing license, as I haven't gotten mine yet.

Mr Lefty
10-10-2008, 02:08 AM
are you serious? they require a racing license to buy the kit? :wtf:

Cutty72
10-10-2008, 02:20 AM
are you serious? they require a racing license to buy the kit? :wtf:

most all the "racing" accessories for the 1125 require a racing license, or you to know the right people. all the people at my dealership are dumbasses and not able to figure shit out.. so yeah, I'd need a license and to get it direct from the source, for now at least.

Thinking that will change as the model grows and gets out more.

Mr Lefty
10-10-2008, 02:42 AM
that is hugely homosexual... almost on the Drewpy level...

the chi
10-10-2008, 11:53 AM
It is a thing of personal preference. After riding with it, i wont go back, and it is also a good anti theft deterrent. The learning curve isnt hard, but every so often, when switching back and forth on different bikes it gets me. Now I have to think about shifting when I ride a regular shift bike!

Shift
10-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I might try it.

Has anyone actually posted faster lap times directly from just making the change or is it just more convenient to not have to slip your foot under the shifter coming hard of the corner?

DLIT
10-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I might try it.

Has anyone actually posted faster lap times directly from just making the change or is it just more convenient to not have to slip your foot under the shifter coming hard of the corner?

Haven't been on the track with regular shift, but it's way more convinient to just step down to shift. And under braking is when you usually downshift and your body is upright anyway, allowing you to easily get your foot underneath to shift up to downshift.

If it's free or costs little money to convert it, try it out!

Shift
10-10-2008, 01:58 PM
If it's free or costs little money to convert it, try it out!

Yea just looked it up for my bike. It's free just gotta take off a few bolts and rotate some things around. Ill play with it tonight and see how I like it.

r!der
10-10-2008, 02:43 PM
It really is just preference. I don't ever shift while at or near full lean, so I don't really see an advantage there. I personally prefer to be able to grab my downshifts quick while on the brakes and just pressing down is obviously easier. Going up a gear is usually a less "stressing" situation, so having to go under and clicking up doesn't seem like too much trouble.

DLIT
10-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Turn 4 at LVMS. Not 100% full lean, but it's an increasing radius turn and you can get on it pretty early. Most people have to shift while at a decent lean...it definitely helps me having GP shift for it.

No Worries
10-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Aftermarket kits for Harleys, that convert forward controls to rear sets, use GP shift pattern. Plus, most older Brit bikes used GP shift pattern on the right side.

Cutty72
10-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Aftermarket kits for Harleys, that convert forward controls to rear sets, use GP shift pattern. Plus, most older Brit bikes used GP shift pattern on the right side.

right side shift would definalty take some getting used to.

i liked GP on the SV...
I'll probably convert the 1125 when it becomes easier to do.

Shift
10-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Just switched to GP a few hours ago. So far its pretty cool I like it.

jeeps84
10-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Doesn't matter witch shift pattern a bike has to me. Ive converted back to standard shift for the past few years.

t-homo
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I think I am going to try this out if I can figure out a way.

Trip
04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Doesn't matter witch shift pattern a bike has to me. Ive converted back to standard shift for the past few years.

I am considering going back with the CBARRR. I have standard on the DRZ and CRF. I might just go full back because I don't plan to race and it's annoying to try to remember which bike I am on.

Rider
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
If I remember right the first dirt bike I ever rode(a friends trail bike when I was 10) was motoGP shift. I had to learn how to "standard" shift when I got a dirt bike of my own.

Amber Lamps
04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Kevin Schwantz used standard shift.

If he uses it it's good enough for me.

Mat Mlladin too.

PhiSig1071
04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I think I am going to try this out if I can figure out a way.

It should be easy, just flip the output shaft linkage over, post a pic of where your shaft comes out of your transmission and I'll tell you how to do it.

Mat Mlladin too.

Yep, very true.

Amber Lamps
04-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Oh in the 90s EVERYBODY had to switch to GP Shift! I ran it on my 95 FZR1000 and my '97 YZF1000. Of course, everyone also rushed their gears to Falicon for undercutting, bought the shift kit from Factory and bought clutch plates and springs from Barnett, back then too. My bike's tranny is all stock and it shifts better than my YZF did, even with all the mods. On the older bikes it helps with missed shifts but the newer bikes (at least mine) don't have as many problems in that area so... Heck, I can't remember the last time I missed a shift.

t-homo
04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
It should be easy, just flip the output shaft linkage over, post a pic of where your shaft comes out of your transmission and I'll tell you how to do it.

That's where the problem arises. My shift rod goes through a hole cut for it in the frame, and I'm not sure if there is enough room above where it comes out. I'll post a pic later today.

BobTheBiker
04-20-2009, 01:58 PM
That's where the problem arises. My shift rod goes through a hole cut for it in the frame, and I'm not sure if there is enough room above where it comes out. I'll post a pic later today.

You're lucky, the R1 isnt bad, the 86 1000R, you have to replace te shift lever to get GP shift because theres no room at the shift shaft going into the transmission to flip it between the frame.

Now, I ran GP shift on my 87 Hurricane, and it wasnt half bad honestly, I enjoyed running it for the simple reason that it was different, but it kept toying with me, and I always forgot which way to shift, so I had to go back to normal shifting.

Amber Lamps
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Hey you can't do it.

PhiSig1071
04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey you can't do it.

Yep, woodcraft makes a special shift linkage for $25 that you can use.

Personally? I don't see any real reason to do it. I've never had a shifting problem on the track because of standard shift. I think people like to do it "just because" and that's fine, go for it.

Dave
04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
You're lucky, the R1 isnt bad, the 86 1000R, you have to replace te shift lever to get GP shift because theres no room at the shift shaft going into the transmission to flip it between the frame.

Now, I ran GP shift on my 87 Hurricane, and it wasnt half bad honestly, I enjoyed running it for the simple reason that it was different, but it kept toying with me, and I always forgot which way to shift, so I had to go back to normal shifting.

wish id tried that on mine. I used to drag toe constantly on that thing

was92v
04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
I prefer standard and used it on race bikes too. I just didn't want to remember which bike I was on.
However right side shift always messes me up because I keep locking the rear wheel up as I "down shift" and then have to get the F'ing thing back in first after I'm going too slow for it to work right.

Antwanny
04-21-2009, 12:31 AM
I prefer standard and used it on race bikes too. I just didn't want to remember which bike I was on.
However right side shift always messes me up because I keep locking the rear wheel up as I "down shift" and then have to get the F'ing thing back in first after I'm going too slow for it to work right.

my dad did that on an old bultaco or somethin went to brake and downshifted into the back of a chrysler