PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk tires.....

NeonspeedRT
10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Ok,
So i'm in the market for some new tires for my R1 in the next few weeks. In the past I have always stayed with Pirelli or Metzler (same company). My last set of "sport" tires was the Metzler M3's, which I absolutly loved. They lasted over 4000 miles, did great in the straights, and gripped awseome on the corners/sweepers.

My R1 had a fairly new set of Avon tires on it when I bought it. I have about 7500 on them now and they are about ready to be replaced. The Avon's were great on straight roads and in the rain, but not exactly confidence inspiring in the corners. For normal streets, they were fine, but I wouldn't take them to the gap or anything like that.

So i'm thinking about trying one of the newer "dual compound" tires. Specifically the Michelin piliot 2CT's. Anyone have any feedback about them? I would say about 70% of my riding is commuting back and forth to work almost ever day and then some playing and group rides on the weekend.

If not the 2CT's, then what does everyone reccomend? Thanks in advance.

Rider
10-14-2008, 02:40 PM
If you are looking to get some milage out of a set of tires go with the Pilot Road 2's (dual compound). The Bridgestone BT016's are nice tires as well(triple compound in the rear, dual in the front), but you will only get 4-5K miles out of them.

PhiSig1071
10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Pilot Road 2cts!

JoJoYZF
10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
^^^Goin on my bike next.

Carolina
10-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Goodyear 190R17

:dthumb::whistle:

Phenix_Rider
10-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Diablo Rosso. I have nearly 3,000 on mine, and they're in good shape still. I won't be going back to a sport-touring tire.

Cutty72
10-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Loved the Corsa III's for a mere 3K, nothing more.

DLIT
10-14-2008, 10:00 PM
2Cts or Qualifyers. They may just have you on more spirited rides more often.

PhiSig1071
10-14-2008, 10:56 PM
I had very mixed feelings about the Qualifiers. They stuck good, heat up quick, and the wear was very good, but the rear tire is WIDE. It's on the KTM and it rubs the chain and changed the handling noticably. I probably wont be using them again.

Mr Lefty
10-14-2008, 11:03 PM
I loved my Strada's... I've only had Dunlop 208's (worst tire in history) and the Diablo Strada's... I put 4500 miles on them, through twisties and super slab... (prob 3k of superslab) and they were only slightly flattened out. I rode the gap and northern AR with no issues... never brought them selves into my mind... which is IMO what a tire should do... stay out of my mind. I rode in torential down pours and never felt even a slight slip...

I'm gonna try out some powers when I get my new bike... to see the difference... but I was really impressed with the Strada's...

Cutty72
10-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Got powers on the buell now. They made it a bit "twitchy" but I put that to their extreme profile mixed with the buell's extreme geometry.
After about 600 miles of mostly highway (read non-twisty, non-agressive) riding, now they have mellowed out.

I'm just hoping for 5-6K from this rear tire... if not, I'm trying something else.

Mr Lefty
10-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Got powers on the buell now. They made it a bit "twitchy" but I put that to their extreme profile mixed with the buell's extreme geometry.
After about 600 miles of mostly highway (read non-twisty, non-agressive) riding, now they have mellowed out.

I'm just hoping for 5-6K from this rear tire... if not, I'm trying something else.

I still think you need to check out a sport touring tire... you go through tires way to fuck'n quick...

Cutty72
10-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I still think you need to check out a sport touring tire... you go through tires way to fuck'n quick...

and I'm pretty sure I have too heavy of a hand and too much torque to safely ride with most sport touring tires safely.

If PP's don't pan out (and even if they do) I'll probably try Conti Road Attacks next.

Mr Lefty
10-14-2008, 11:42 PM
and I'm pretty sure I have too heavy of a hand and too much torque to safely ride with most sport touring tires safely.

If PP's don't pan out (and even if they do) I'll probably try Conti Road Attacks next.

I'd be supprised if your exceeding the grip of a sport touring tire that much

Cutty72
10-14-2008, 11:45 PM
I'd be supprised if your exceeding the grip of a sport touring tire that much

prob not, just have to start riding smarter.

Though I won't trust a sport touring tire on the track with that bike. and I really don't want to buy another set of wheels, or get rubber switched out every time.

That's why I said i'd be happy with 6K out of a rear tire... I that should be doable with a sport tire IMO.

marko138
10-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Diablo Corsa III.

Trip
10-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Diablo Corsa III.

That's a really bad tire for commuting, it wears too fast.

dReWpY
10-15-2008, 09:47 AM
2ct's get my vote for spirited rides on the gap and trackdays, pp for canyon rides and weekend trips through the mountains, i tried the m3, liked them alot but perfer the michlien tires...

of and a set of super corsa super dragons for the track if you ever want to spoil yourself

my next set will prolly be a set of pilot road 2's

Gunther1000
10-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Im in love with the Brigestone BT0-16's having come off M3's my self had having had several stes of 2ct's. For the cost and grip these will be around my bike for at least a few sets.

I would go with the 190/55 rear for sure on that R1. If you havn't raised the rear I would look into that also. Depending on your year they are in need of some serious changes to turn properly.

$.02

:idk:

jermey
10-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Pilot Road 2 :rockout:

I've got them on the Duc and have over 7k miles on the rear tire and will probably get another 2-3 out of them.

Trip
10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
2ct's get my vote for spirited rides on the gap and trackdays, pp for canyon rides and weekend trips through the mountains, i tried the m3, liked them alot but perfer the michlien tires...

of and a set of super corsa super dragons for the track if you ever want to spoil yourself

my next set will prolly be a set of pilot road 2's

Get a pr2 rear and a pp front, I hear the pr2 front is not the best combination for twisties.

JoJoYZF
10-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Get a pr2 rear and a pp front, I hear the pr2 front is not the best combination for twisties.

Thats what Ive heard from a bunch of people on my other forum. The pr2/pp is supposed to work very well though.

jeeps84
10-16-2008, 12:58 PM
PPR's front and rear for me. Medium rear and soft front.

No Worries
10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Got some new Metzeler Lasertec's for my GS1000. These are bias-ply and use a tube. With the stock wheels, I can't fit a radial or tube-less tires. The front is a 100/90 V19 and the rear is a 130/90 V17. Just 10mm wider than most front tires on modern bikes. And the 90 percent height gives the tire a very rounded profile.

The bike came stock with IRC tires, but I have used Continental, Michelin, Pirelli, and Metzeler. I've been using the Laser model from Metzeler for about 20 years now. Many of you have probably never seen a block-pattern like that used on the front tire, but it works very well. On the rear, I've used the ME99 and ME55 models. I believe the Lasertec is the same as the ME55. The Metzeler ads say they use a new formula for these tires.

The old Suzuki handles very neutral with the Metzeler's. I like that. I don't go crazy into corners, but I like to power out of them. The GS only makes around 80hp, but has a ton of torque down low. The Metzelers work very well with the gas on and leaned over. Only got 6K out of them and like on my CBR, the front wore out before the rear. Actually, I should have replaced them at 5K. I ride mostly streets and backroads, and rarely take the highway, but I recommend the Lasertecs for older bikes that use bias-ply tires.
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/5448/newtirespj4.jpg (http://img397.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newtirespj4.jpg)

jeeps84
11-01-2008, 03:36 PM
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/5448/newtirespj4.jpg (http://img397.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newtirespj4.jpg)

I think you needed them along time ago.

No Worries
11-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I think you needed them along time ago.

I did. Luckily it hardly ever rains here. I had them mounted on Friday afternoon and put the wheels on Saturday. Took me two hours, but I measure the chain sag and wheel alignment very carefully, and torque every bolt.

It's like having a new bike with power steering. I always say I'm not going to wait so long to replace my tires, but I always do. At least the tires wore evenly and the cords weren't showing.

jeeps84
11-02-2008, 08:37 PM
You got your moneys worth out of them. :dthumb:

ceo012384
11-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Find a buddy who races or does a shitload of trackdays and get his DOT takeoffs (i.e. diablo supercorsa, pilot race, etc) for free/cheap.

They will have tons of meat left in the center and be very cost effective, not to mention great grip for twisties.

PhiSig1071
11-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Find a buddy who races or does a shitload of trackdays and get his DOT takeoffs (i.e. diablo supercorsa, pilot race, etc) for free/cheap.

They will have tons of meat left in the center and be very cost effective, not to mention great grip for twisties.

Honestly, the grip isn't all that great. I haven't run anything but take-offs on my bikes for a couple years now, and I can get the back end to spin up pretty easy on the street. Track specific rubber doesn't get hot enough on the street.

the chi
11-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Honestly, the grip isn't all that great. I haven't run anything but take-offs on my bikes for a couple years now, and I can get the back end to spin up pretty easy on the street. Track specific rubber doesn't get hot enough on the street.

I gotta go with Phi on this one, after running a set of take offs on the street, I wouldnt recommend it. They dont heat up, and with this cooler weather, you apply the brakes even a tad harder than a slow stop and may have to deal with skid city (been there, done that). A hard brake will leave with consequences you dont want to even think about! Now a set of PP's that was run on the track only is a different matter, thats what I used on the Indy trip and they worked great. 2k miles and I saw little wear, still good for many more miles!

DIMford
11-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I gotta go with Phi on this one, after running a set of take offs on the street, I wouldnt recommend it. They dont heat up, and with this cooler weather, you apply the brakes even a tad harder than a slow stop and may have to deal with skid city (been there, done that). A hard brake will leave with consequences you dont want to even think about! Now a set of PP's that was run on the track only is a different matter, thats what I used on the Indy trip and they worked great. 2k miles and I saw little wear, still good for many more miles!

I agree with Brian and Rae to an extent. If someone is running really soft takeoffs then you don't want to go with those. But if they are running race/street tires at trackdays then you can use those takeoffs.

For example, I am still slow as molasses on the track so I won't spend loads of money on the race slicks for a trackday. I run the Pirelli Corsa IIIs and will use those for maybe 3 days on the track. My first set is still on my bike after a couple grand miles and still going strong. So, I would see if you can find someone running a street/race tire but does too many track days to use all their takeoffs. I gave one of my sets to jimmy already.
BTW here's a review on the Corsa IIIs...
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/122_0701_pirelli_diable_corsa_3/index.html