PDA

View Full Version : Desmo eats dirt

Shift
10-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Stole from another forum:

So I just saw this on a local forum and is probably spreading like wildfire. A borrowed desmo for someones first trackday and of course lays it down. Read it here hopefully no repost )

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395175

Might not look like to much damage, but to be replaced with OEM brand new parts, it'll cost more then my bike did new.

Rider
10-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Douchebags,.... both the owner AND the borrower.

Shift
10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Look a couple pages in and see a 1098R got layed down as well.

http://skwidd.smugmug.com/photos/261880074_NRVJp-M.jpg

PiZdETS
10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Douchebags,.... both the owner AND the borrower.
Yep.
I wouldn't WANT to ride anything over a 600 on my first trackday.

Shift
10-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Damn sure wish I was at Jennings this past Sat to see this in person.

Rider
10-14-2008, 03:04 PM
The best thing about that thread is this picture: :rockout::rockout::rockout:
Fuck you Stoner!

http://skwidd.smugmug.com/photos/338077617_EdsFf-M.jpg

PhiSig1071
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
I did a trackday at Barber and there was a guy with a brand new 1098R there for his first trackday. He at least went VERY slow, I guess if you've got the money, spend it.

My only question is this, that bodywork is all Carbon Fibre, WHY in the hell wouldn't you buy some track skins for it?

CW AF 03
10-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't think anyone makes fiberglass fairings for it yet. Maybe DP, but I didn't see anything in their Desmo accessories catalog...

PhiSig1071
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Motowheels has a set for $1599. They're currently out of stock though.

JK
10-14-2008, 10:48 PM
i wrecked my desmo too, so i just drive my Lambo till it gets fixed.

azoomm
10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
i wrecked my desmo too, so i just drive my Lambo till it gets fixed.

Wassamadder, the enzo getting cleaned?

dReWpY
10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
if you read the thread till the end, some duc owner was putting pics of his trailor that has a expresso machine and jager tap.... yes, azoom, im sorry, but i hate all duc riders now...

jermey
10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I rode down to Ocala with a group from Jax this Sunday to the Duc dealership because they were doing Hypermotard demos. I was talking to the owner of the dealership and he said that they did an estimate on the Desmo that was wrecked and it has close to $35k of damage. Cause like PhiSig said, the bodywork is all CF. Not sure if the exhaust was damaged in any way, but the Titanium system of the bike is $8k.

PiZdETS
10-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Just read on page 9 that it wasn't insured and the repairs are going to be 30 grand.
if you read the thread till the end, some duc owner was putting pics of his trailor that has a expresso machine and jager tap.... yes, azoom, im sorry, but i hate all duc riders now...
You weren't kidding
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg209/motogpfan1/IMG_3012.jpg

PhiSig1071
10-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Hey, I don't know about the espresso machine, but if I had the $$$ I'd have a jeager machine AND a mini-keggerator in my trailer! :lol:

Trip
10-15-2008, 01:17 PM
this thread makes me cry

Captain Morgan
10-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Bet the two of them aren't friends anymore...

Mr Lefty
10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
fuck $35000 of damage... you just bought yourself a bike... I'll take another BRAND NEW ONE with a clean history... thank YOU!

Dave
10-15-2008, 09:36 PM
what a bunch of toolboxes

you know theres a nice 996 chilling at the local used shop. oughta snag it and ride the piss out of it. try and take the brand back for folks that actually ride :dthumb:

azoomm
10-15-2008, 11:27 PM
what a bunch of toolboxes

you know theres a nice 996 chilling at the local used shop. oughta snag it and ride the piss out of it. try and take the brand back for folks that actually ride :dthumb:

You make it sound like we don't.... I know many more that ride than pose.:idk:

Hell, at least that desmo died at the track rather than getting backed over by a soccer mom while the owner was on an espresso run.

Dave
10-15-2008, 11:33 PM
You make it sound like we don't.... I know many more that ride than pose.:idk:

Hell, at least that desmo died at the track rather than getting backed over by a soccer mom while the owner was on an espresso run.

sorry zoom but around here i easily see a 10:1 ratio of ducs parked to ducs ridden. speaking of which i need to go visit the local dealer again and drool over the salesgirls uh er i mean uh bikes. uh yeaaaaah bikes lol :whistle:

azoomm
10-16-2008, 07:20 AM
sorry zoom but around here i easily see a 10:1 ratio of ducs parked to ducs ridden. speaking of which i need to go visit the local dealer again and drool over the salesgirls uh er i mean uh bikes. uh yeaaaaah bikes lol :whistle:

OK, fair enough. But, do you have eight road courses around you within a few hour's drive? Oak Hill, Texas World Speedway, MotorSport Ranch, Eagles Canyon, Harris Hill Road, Mercedes Sugarland Ranch, GrandSport Speedway, Driveway Austin...

I won't argue that the Italian market certainly has it's poseurs and squids. There are enough out there to make the stereotype stick. I can think of two in Austin that have chicken strips on their Desmo and 1098R's that make me cry.

But, I wouldn't think that ratio is even close around here.

Dave
10-16-2008, 07:55 AM
well we have thunderbolt/lightning, pocono and vir. might be more...not sure

jeeps84
10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
fuck $35000 of damage... you just bought yourself a bike... I'll take another BRAND NEW ONE with a clean history... thank YOU!

:withstupid: Shit like this make me wanna cry.

JK
10-16-2008, 07:09 PM
its being used for what it was designed for -no not crashing- but track duty. im sure whoever ownes it cant be too put out if he can loan it so easy.

Hey its getting used! Im sure anyone here given the chance would track it too. i would!

Captain Morgan
10-16-2008, 07:30 PM
its being used for what it was designed for -no not crashing- but track duty. im sure whoever ownes it cant be too put out if he can loan it so easy.

Hey its getting used! Im sure anyone here given the chance would track it too. i would!

I can honestly say that I would turn it down, with little to no track experience. I'd be too scared to ride a 70k bike right and would end up looking like a complete pansy on the bike.

Shift
10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I can honestly say that I would turn it down, with little to no track experience. I'd be too scared to ride a 70k bike right and would end up looking like a complete pansy on the bike.

ha not me. Normally I don't ride my friends bikes and they don't ride mine, its jsut the way it goes. But if some friend offered me the chance to track his Desmo and he lent it to me without a legal contract holding me responsible for damages at the track then you better believe I'd take a chance at losing a friend and riding the hell out of that thing.

Does that make me a bad person? :lol:

Captain Morgan
10-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Meh. I'd rather have a good friend than a ride on a sweet ass bike. I'd just be too damn worried about wadding it up and I wouldn't enjoy it that much anyway from all the fear of crashing it. Contract or not, I'd feel downright horrible. If I could afford the bike, you better damn well believe I'd track. Because it was mine. If I want to blow my money on a 70k bike and wreck on the track, that's my choice. But I just wouldn't be able to do that to a friend.

Mr Lefty
10-16-2008, 09:25 PM

I'm right there with ya... I wouldn't ride it... I'd be too scared of fuck'n both the bike and myself up to have any fun...

but hell.. I just wanna ride on the track! :lol:

marko138
10-19-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure what I'd do. Depends on who it is...how good I am...etc. At the end of the day I'd probly turn him down.

jeeps84
10-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I would ride it if offered. I wouldn't ride it near my full ability but would ride.

Carolina
10-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I would ride it if offered. I wouldn't ride it near my full ability but would ride.

yup

PhiSig1071
10-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Are you kidding? If it was offered I'd do it in a heartbeat!