PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Mods for motorcycles

logan1
03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
What in you opinion are the top five performance modifications for a motorcycle that are well worth the time and money that goes into doing em?

These are mods that are irrespective for make/model of motorcycle.

For EXAMPLE:

(1) Rider Training/ Trackdays
(2) Tires
(3) Suspension
(4) Gearing
(5) Brake Pads/Lines

NONE_too_SOFT
03-01-2008, 04:37 PM
training is a given, and the bar none BEST thing to improve a ride.

but strictly performance upgrades to the machine.

Tires
Brakes
Suspension
Exaust/Mapping
Filters

Trip
03-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Honestly, your list is my list as well.

(2) Tires
(3) Suspension
(4) Gearing
(5) Brake Pads/Lines

vabarber2
03-01-2008, 06:16 PM
1 Training & Practice (ie track days)
2 Tires
3 Suspension (but I personaly just tune the stock)
4 Gearing
5 Full Pipe & Filter w/ map of course! (Breath in and blow out have to go together!)

jtemple
03-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Practice
Tires
Stomp Grip
Tank Pad
Battery Tender (for those of us that park it in the winter)

That's all I did to mine. :dthumb:

NONE_too_SOFT
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM
1 Stretched swingarm
2 crash cage
3 neons
4 chrome
5 huge rear tire

You've gotta be kidding me

OneSickPsycho
03-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Money is no object?

1) Tires
2) CF wheels
3) Stainless lines (unless you ride a Buell which comes with them stock ::eatatthey:)
4) Suspension
5) Exhaust

Money is an object?

1) No Fear stickers
2) Tire paint pen
3) Sparkly Gixxer hand grips
4) Hand polished frame
5) Fur

Mr Lefty
03-01-2008, 11:51 PM
You've gotta be kidding me

wadda expect from a renowned busa lover

OTB
03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
1. Diet I lost 50 lbs since July; the bike rides, handles, accelerates and stops so much better without the extra avoirdupois. Looked in the mirror one day and asked myself "Self, what good is an ultralight bike if it's being ridden by a manatee?" :idk: Cost: saved me money on groceries.....

NeonspeedRT
03-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Honestly, your list is my list as well.

(2) Tires
(3) Suspension
(4) Gearing
(5) Brake Pads/Lines

Thats about the ideal list for top 5 right there.

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 04:56 PM
1. Diet I lost 50 lbs since July; the bike rides, handles, accelerates and stops so much better without the extra avoirdupois. Looked in the mirror one day and asked myself "Self, what good is an ultralight bike if it's being ridden by a manatee?" :idk: Cost: saved me money on groceries.....

Good word! :lol:

azoomm
03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Thats about the ideal list for top 5 right there.

Except I'd change the order...

Training / MSF / Trackdays
Brakes (because even when you blow a tire, you have to stop)
Tires (because you only have two...)
Suspension (better handling = better handling)
Gearing

logan1
03-02-2008, 09:46 PM

Best post on this forum so far.....:rockout::pat:

jtemple
03-02-2008, 10:04 PM
1. Diet I lost 50 lbs since July; the bike rides, handles, accelerates and stops so much better without the extra avoirdupois. Looked in the mirror one day and asked myself "Self, what good is an ultralight bike if it's being ridden by a manatee?" :idk: Cost: saved me money on groceries.....That's a good one. I lost 110+ lbs a while back and am loving every minute of it!

Trip
03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
That's a good one. I lost 110+ lbs a while back and am loving every minute of it!

damn man, good job on that one.

DLIT
03-03-2008, 06:53 AM
With seat time as a given...

Tires next. Once you have good tires, you have a solid base to work with everything else.

Suspension. Try getting it tuned to your weight first. You might be surprised.

Brake pads/lines. It's amazing how good adding good pads and lines helps. No more brake fade.

Exhaust/power commander. Have your bike dyno-tuned once you get the full system and power commander combo.

Gearing. This one last because it takes time to learn your bike. Gearing gives you the advantage of quicker acceleration, but you go through gears faster and less top end. It all depends on what tracks you ride. If they have short straights, gearing should help you out. Long straights, you'll get passed by all the guys you may have passed before the beginning of the straight. I'm still content with stock gearing on my bike.

05svr650
03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Training
Suspension
Tires
Brakes
Power Management

Most important should be learn what you ride and where you ride. I rode the hell outta my stock SV and put a lot of guys to shame on "real" sport bikes up at the Dragon. That's because I know what my bike is capable of and I know how far I can push it. I also have the rode memorized to where I can replay each run back in my head. Sometimes I'll spend all day just riding back and forth on a 2 mile section of rode, just so I can maximize my bikes potential in that section.

It's not what you ride, but how you ride it.

fnfalman
03-04-2008, 08:58 PM
1. Training/Track Days
2. Wheels
3. Tires
4. Suspension
5. Exhaust/fuel mapping

I think that brakes can only be slightly improved because most factory brakes on sport bikes are awesome.

The wheels make for marked performance in acceleration, deceleration and maneuverability.

Tires...they speak for themselves.

Suspension set-up and/or replacement parts are a great way to aid overall performance of the bike.

Exhaust and fuel mapping makes for a smooth throttle response that's critical for fast riding. Not to mention great for lane splitting too. A herky-jerky throttle makes for some interesting rides during lane splitting.:panic:

And yes, losing lots of weights really help!!! I'm looking to drop another twenty pounds. I've lost 17-pounds and that really made a big difference. It's like dropping another set of stock exhaust and catalytic converter.:whistle:

NONE_too_SOFT
03-04-2008, 08:59 PM
wheels really that much a factor in performance? whats your logic?

OneSickPsycho
03-04-2008, 10:18 PM
wheels really that much a factor in performance? whats your logic?

Reduction in rotational mass and unsprung weight... improves braking and accelleration due to the brakes and engine not having to work as hard... (sorta like if you put 20's on your car and don't change the brakes your car is harder to get going and harder to stop)... Not having all that weight rotating also greatly reduces gyroscopic forces improving turn-in and general manuverability... Unsprung weight allows the suspension to work better...

ceo012384
03-05-2008, 01:04 AM
1. Rider training / track days
2. Tires
3. Suspension
4. Rider fitness
5. Brakes

Mr Lefty
03-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Reduction in rotational mass and unsprung weight... improves braking and accelleration due to the brakes and engine not having to work as hard... (sorta like if you put 20's on your car and don't change the brakes your car is harder to get going and harder to stop)... Not having all that weight rotating also greatly reduces gyroscopic forces improving turn-in and general manuverability... Unsprung weight allows the suspension to work better...

true... but the diffrence between the stock and light weight wheels gonna be that big a diffrence? there's no doubt that there is a diffrence... but to rank it #2 seems kinda high IMO...

I think that's what NtS was trying to say too...

DLIT
03-05-2008, 03:52 AM
true... but the diffrence between the stock and light weight wheels gonna be that big a diffrence? there's no doubt that there is a diffrence... but to rank it #2 seems kinda high IMO...

Good point. To add $1200 a peice wheels isn't that high of a priority. Maybe if you have the extra cash and maybe if you're a competitive racer that needs any edge they can get. But not for your everyday track day rider. I don't think I'll ever buy aftermarket wheels.

OneSickPsycho
03-05-2008, 07:56 AM

Everything I've read... Yes, it will make a big difference...

DLIT
03-05-2008, 08:00 AM

I think it would too.

dReWpY
03-05-2008, 09:43 AM
but a 1200 dollar differance? once the basics of exhuast, engine maps, wheels suspenstion, rider training, and the creature comforts are done then i would consider it

DLIT
03-05-2008, 09:45 AM
but a 1200 dollar differance? once the basics of exhuast, engine maps, wheels suspenstion, rider training, and the creature comforts are done then i would consider it

Exactly. Unless I'm running at the head of the pack during RACES, I might consider it, but won't because I'm just a track day whore.

Mr Lefty
03-05-2008, 05:58 PM
see below

exactly... I don't doubt it's a noticeable diffrence but I meant it's kinda steep price for what you get when you can do so much other stuff first that combined will make just as much difference if not more for less $

shit Suspension to me would be #1 and far above wheels interms of value... just setting a stock suspension right will make a HUGE difference

OneSickPsycho
03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
From what I've read it's a VERY noticeable and dramatic difference... I'd like someone who's actually rocked some CF's to chime in...

Mr Lefty
03-05-2008, 09:23 PM
From what I've read it's a VERY noticeable and dramatic difference... I'd like someone who's actually rocked some CF's to chime in...

where's azoomm? didn't she say she had them in her mod list?

OneSickPsycho
03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
where's azoomm? didn't she say she had them in her mod list?

I dunno, but I'd definitely bury her in my back yard...

http://www.motorcycle-articles.com/Article/Lightweight-Wheels-Why-They-Make-Such-A-Big-Difference/150

Mr Lefty
03-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I dunno, but I'd definitely bury her in my back yard...

http://www.motorcycle-articles.com/Article/Lightweight-Wheels-Why-They-Make-Such-A-Big-Difference/150

I still think suspension should be above it... :2cents:

but yeah... I looked into them a while back when I had an extra $2200 laying around... but 1. they don't make them for my bike... and 2. not worth it when I can't ride the bike more than 30% of it's ability :lol:

OneSickPsycho
03-05-2008, 09:32 PM
I still think suspension should be above it... :2cents:

but yeah... I looked into them a while back when I had an extra $2200 laying around... but 1. they don't make them for my bike... and 2. not worth it when I can't ride the bike more than 30% of it's ability :lol:

Possibly, but the fact that the lighter wheels allow your suspension to work better... you may get more than one bird with a single stone if you switch wheels...

Mr Lefty
03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Possibly, but the fact that the lighter wheels allow your suspension to work better... you may get more than one bird with a single stone if you switch wheels...

humm... I smell what your step'n in...

humm... azoomm? we're waiting! :lol:

marko138
03-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Holy shit. A motorcycle related post from the sick one.

Mr Lefty
03-08-2008, 01:43 AM

yeah I looked... the planets were aligned last night...

I wonder if Hell froze over too:idk:

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 07:31 AM
yeah I looked... the planets were aligned last night...
I wonder if Hell froze over too:idk:

Most of the time all I have to add is +1 cause everyone's already answered the question... Glad I could participate.

Mr Lefty
03-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Most of the time all I have to add is +1 cause everyone's already answered the question... Glad I could participate.

yeah it's nice for once to not here you say your gay... :lol:

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 07:36 AM
yeah it's nice for once to not here you say your gay... :lol:

I thought that was pretty funny myself.

Mr Lefty
03-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I thought that was pretty funny myself.
:lol: yeah unfortunately not as many people fall for it as I'd hoped... guess not many + 1 guys here

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 07:55 AM
:lol: yeah unfortunately not as many people fall for it as I'd hoped... guess not many + 1 guys here

I do it on purpose.

Mr Lefty
03-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I do it on purpose.

yeah I know... I just got done watch'n the 07 MotoGP review so figured I'd give ya some shit...

LaFemmes
03-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Breaks, exhaust, sprockets, suspension and power commander.
Just my 2 cents.

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 08:27 AM
And spell check FTW!

ceo012384
03-09-2008, 11:22 PM

I've head similar about light wheels. Since so much of the mass that is lost is near the circumference of the wheel, the effect of that drop is a huge drop in angular momentum since the relationship scales with radius... End effect: it's easier to get the wheel rolling and easier to stop it. Makes sense.

There was a dude with CF wheels on his duc last time I was at the track.... fucking siiiiiiiiick.