PDA

View Full Version : cold weather pants

'73 H1 Triple
10-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Thinking about purchasing a pair of cold weather pants ( overall/bib type) so I can keep riding to work.

It was 42* this morning and after the 18 mile ride, I was glad to stop. :dthumb:

Any suggestions? :idk:

Thanks
Jeff

JoJoYZF
10-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Thinking about purchasing a pair of cold weather pants ( overall/bib type) so I can keep riding to work.

It was 42* this morning and after the 18 mile ride, I was glad to stop. :dthumb:

Any suggestions? :idk:

Thanks
Jeff

You could always try under armour cold gear leggings for under your pants. Theyll help a little bit. Only problem is theyd be a bitch to take on and off when you get there. Or you could leave em on and just be a little warm.

fnfalman
10-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Just get a commuter suit like the Field Sheer Highlander II. It's pretty cheap and convenient.

Gas Man
10-17-2008, 08:35 PM
I have been known to show up to a sportbike outing like this...
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/mixed_008a-1.jpg

Get in line ladies...
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/mixed_019-1.jpg

'73 H1 Triple
10-17-2008, 09:12 PM
You could always try under armour cold gear leggings for under your pants. Theyll help a little bit. Only problem is theyd be a bitch to take on and off when you get there. Or you could leave em on and just be a little warm.

A little bit won't be good enough plus as a machinist, I'd hate to get coolant on them. :rant:

Just get a commuter suit like the Field Sheer Highlander II. It's pretty cheap and convenient.
Thanks, I'll check them out but it may be more than my budget right now.

I have been known to show up to a sportbike outing like this...
Get in line ladies...

I'll check out chaps too. Never thought about them.

JoJoYZF
10-18-2008, 01:22 AM
A little bit won't be good enough plus as a machinist, I'd hate to get coolant on them. :rant:

From when I used to use em for sports in HS they were great so Im guessing theyd help cut down how cold the wind can get, but yeah the coolant would suck.

nhgunnut
10-18-2008, 08:00 AM
While the not the Bib type, for cold weather riding I use the First Gear Touring pants. They have Armor a removable lining and are water proof. I usually wear the First Gear ” Kilimanjaro” Touring Jacket although they and work fine with my Olympus jacket as well. I have been very happy with them. I did a 1500 miler through mixed weather in late October early November last year and was dry and warm all the way.

jeeps84
10-18-2008, 08:55 AM
I wore ski bibs for years. Easier to find living beside a ski town.

'73 H1 Triple
10-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Stopped at a few local places to check things out. Underground Biker ( www.undergroundbiker.com ) had insulated chaps but none in stock in my size ( their order is due in mid week). I purchased an 8" Schampa neck warmer for $15 from them.

Went to the local Triumph dealer who share remain nameless due to me being ignored by the "not busy" sales people. Prices seemed a bit high.

I then rode to Blackmans Cycle (www.blackmanscycle.com ) and was approached by a salesman after about 5 minutes who said " just let me know if you need help with anything". :dthumb:

I got a pair of Tourmaster Venture insulated pants in size XL. These fit over my regular jeans ( waist size 36 ) ( I was wearing my Sliders today) including around my buck knife in it's sheath on my belt. I had to let the velcro straps out a bit but there is still some room left. They're armored in the knees & hips and also have reflective piping.

Very comfortable and warm. I tried them on and decided to purchase them. They were priced at $109.99. I took them off, took them to the counter and paid for them. I had the girl cut the tags and took them back into the changing room where I put them on to wear home.

I really like these and an added plus is they're waterproof. I think I'll be wearing these with the zip out liner removed once it warms up in the spring.

Thanks for the replys everyone :dthumb:
Jeff

Gas Man
10-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Sweet!! Let us know after a few runs with them if you still like em.

'73 H1 Triple
10-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Sweet!! Let us know after a few runs with them if you still like em.

I wore them yesterday for about 30 miles and did 80 miles this morning. It was about 45* when I left. I was nice and comfy warm.

Tomorrow morning will be the real test when I leave for work at 5:50 am. The weather idiots are calling for 31* :panic:

Jeff

jeeps84
10-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Sounds great. You should have a real knowledge on if they work or not. Hope you have good gloves too.

'73 H1 Triple
10-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Sounds great. You should have a real knowledge on if they work or not. Hope you have good gloves too.

I have decent gloves, they're exactly like these only I paid $20 at Underground Biker right down from my house.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WINTER-MOTORCYCLE-GAUNTLET-LEATHER-GLOVES-2X-Large_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c39Q3a 1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2 ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem320301393575QQitemZ32030139357 5

The waterproof cover is stored in the zippered pocket in the gaunlet of each glove. Since I have a windscreen, they seem to be OK so far.

If my hands get cold, I'll spend the coin on better gloves.

Jeff

marko138
10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
I wore them yesterday for about 30 miles and did 80 miles this morning. It was about 45* when I left. I was nice and comfy warm.

Tomorrow morning will be the real test when I leave for work at 5:50 am. The weather idiots are calling for 31* :panic:

Jeff
It's officially cold now.

Carolina
10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
nice

they have a nice lil used v star 1100 with low mile for about 6 g's hmmm. I can't wait to get back on two

jermey
10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
I wore ski bibs for years. Easier to find living beside a ski town.

I use my snowboarding pants if it's cold, but I live in FL, so that only happens twice a year.

'73 H1 Triple
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM

Jeff

It's officially cold now.

:iagree: Marko speaks the truth.

The weather idiots blew it again as it was 25* when I left for work this morning. The good news is the pants worked great. No bad drafts or cool spots. I highly recommend these :dthumb:

The bad news is my winter gloves suck. About 14 miles into the 18+ mile ride my hands were real cold. I was actually happy to get stuck at the red light that my bike won't trip so I could get a little warmth into my hands.

I'll be getting some better gloves this weekend.

Jeff

jeeps84
10-20-2008, 09:39 PM
:iagree: Marko speaks the truth.

The weather idiots blew it again as it was 25* when I left for work this morning. The good news is the pants worked great. No bad drafts or cool spots. I highly recommend these :dthumb:

The bad news is my winter gloves suck. About 14 miles into the 18+ mile ride my hands were real cold. I was actually happy to get stuck at the red light that my bike won't trip so I could get a little warmth into my hands.

I'll be getting some better gloves this weekend.

Jeff

You could invest in some grip heaters. Cheap, easy to install and work.

Gas Man
10-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah HOLY FUCK its cold!! 30 outside this morning!!!

jeeps84
10-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah HOLY FUCK its cold!! 30 outside this morning!!!

Not much better here.

Particle Man
11-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I have a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants that I've ridden in down to 22 degrees... I also had long johns under them.

They worked pretty well.