PDA

View Full Version : Getting My Mojo Back.

Amber Lamps
10-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Well as everyone knows,I hit another deer a few months ago and had to totally rebuild my bike. I having trouble reacquainting myself with the old dog. First,when I had the suspension done the first time,I weighed 210 lbs (it was just after my cancer surgery). I got used to it and kept it the same even tho' I've gotten back up to 245 lbs. Now that I've had the suspension redone at my new fat ass girth,I'm having trouble coming to grips with my new "stiffer" suspension set-up. I almost broke down and did a track day with a buddy to help but came to my senses at the last minute.(lol)

On a positive note,thru air pressure manipilation and lowering the front another 2 mm I think that I'm getting back into the zone. I felt really,really good yesterday. I've considered removing a link from my chain to shorten my wheel base but am concerned about jacking up my rake and trail.

Dnyce
10-18-2008, 05:26 PM
based on your "fatass girth" statement lol, how bout u lose a few pounds?

or if thats your reg weight-just ride the thing, u been off for awhile, maybe u got the jitters or something. completly normal. ride that bitch some more, stop fuckin with it

Amber Lamps
10-18-2008, 06:12 PM
yeah,I've hung around the 240 area for a while now except when I was sick. I know you are right. I just need to get used to it again and feel comfortable with the springs/settings that Race Tech sent my suspension back with.

FT BSTRD
10-18-2008, 07:58 PM
You'll get the hang of it. I slid off the road on Hwy 116 because of some limestone marbles. It took me the better part of the year to trust tire traction again.

Take your time and ease into it. I don't think your suspension has as much to do with it as your mind does.

You'll be seeing ditch rats everywhere for a long time.

Amber Lamps
10-18-2008, 08:21 PM
You'll get the hang of it. I slid off the road on Hwy 116 because of some limestone marbles. It took me the better part of the year to trust tire traction again.

Take your time and ease into it. I don't think your suspension has as much to do with it as your mind does.

You'll be seeing ditch rats everywhere for a long time.

Boy you are right about that bro! Every mailbox,garbage can,etc is a deer! Not to mention those FUCKING deer statues motherfuckers like to put in their yards! JESUS!!!! I have so many pucker moments these days that my poop looks like brown spaghetti noodles!!!

No Worries
10-18-2008, 08:50 PM
...I've considered removing a link from my chain to shorten my wheel base but am concerned about jacking up my rake and trail.

You've lowered the front 2mm (raised the fork legs 2mm) and want quicker handling? Best to raise the rear with shims or whatever Suzuki uses. Your extra weight may be lowering the rear which decreases handling. Removing a link will shorten the swingarm and perhaps worsen handling.

Somewhere, there's a tutorial on how to check the sag of the bike and the sag with the rider. Especially since you have an adjustable suspension, I would get the sag set correctly before I did anything else.

Ducati Diva
10-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Fight it man!!! Don't let this be you!! :rofl:
Sorry couldn't resist! This pic just to funny not to use.

Amber Lamps
10-18-2008, 09:15 PM
You've lowered the front 2mm (raised the fork legs 2mm) and want quicker handling? Best to raise the rear with shims or whatever Suzuki uses. Your extra weight may be lowering the rear which decreases handling. Removing a link will shorten the swingarm and perhaps worsen handling.

Somewhere, there's a tutorial on how to check the sag of the bike and the sag with the rider. Especially since you have an adjustable suspension, I would get the sag set correctly before I did anything else.

Yeah thanks,I have sag set correctly (besides,I had my new forks and shock sprung and valved by Race Tech) and I have the rear raised 5mm (two shims) and the front lowered 6mm. Bottom line is I've just lost some of my nerve. These guys are right. I just need to ride,forget about deer,relax and have a good time on my bike again.

Oh and a little plug for Race Tech here...they are great! For about 1/4 (or less) the cost of Ohlins they will re valve,re spring and replace your fork oil and seals. I've had Race Tech internals on my last 3 bikes and the difference is phenomenal! Of course,I've only ridden one bike with Ohlins and those were "production" pieces and not race forks but I honestly feel that this is comparable.

marko138
10-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Boy you are right about that bro! Every mailbox,garbage can,etc is a deer! Not to mention those FUCKING deer statues motherfuckers like to put in their yards! JESUS!!!! I have so many pucker moments these days that my poop looks like brown spaghetti noodles!!!

You aren't kidding. I jammed up the brakes the other day when I saw one of those goddamn statues. Fuck those things.

FT BSTRD
10-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Came ripping around a blind right hander and there was a Holstein standing in my lane that I almost t-boned.

I try not to ride when deer movement is likely. Ignorant bastards.

My balls shrivel to raisins when it's deer:30. I ride like a total puss with my head on a swivel.

Amber Lamps
10-19-2008, 03:23 AM
Came ripping around a blind right hander and there was a Holstein standing in my lane that I almost t-boned.

I try not to ride when deer movement is likely. Ignorant bastards.

My balls shrivel to raisins when it's deer:30. I ride like a total puss with my head on a swivel.

Wow! One of my old best friends,Gary from Fast Bikes(Rider might know him) hit a black angus one night when we were out riding in the country. I was 3rd in line and we were fucking hauling! Suddenly his bike went flying towards me. I was like,"FUCK" and went sideways but managed to recover. I literally walked into the cow looking for Gary,that's how dark it was and how black the cow was.

Gas Man
10-19-2008, 08:44 AM
YOu can simply search a rake and trail calculator... input your data and find out whats what.

Example
http://www.goldammercycle.com/hispeed/rakeandtrail.php

Amber Lamps
10-19-2008, 12:27 PM
YOu can simply search a rake and trail calculator... input your data and find out whats what.

Example
http://www.goldammercycle.com/hispeed/rakeandtrail.php

Thanks!

FT BSTRD
10-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Wow! One of my old best friends,Gary from Fast Bikes(Rider might know him) hit a black angus one night when we were out riding in the country. I was 3rd in line and we were fucking hauling! Suddenly his bike went flying towards me. I was like,"FUCK" and went sideways but managed to recover. I literally walked into the cow looking for Gary,that's how dark it was and how black the cow was.

That's like hitting a black furry bus.

My mom's cousin hit a black angus in a car. It snapped the legs off of it and it rolled through the passenger compartment killing him instantly.

Gruesome shit.

I've killed three birds and two squirrels and kicked a dog in the mouth.

jeeps84
10-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Get your sag set and ride that bitch. It'll come back too you. Then you will know what you need to do if any thing at all.

Amber Lamps
10-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Ok I put about 200 miles on and I feel pretty good! Saw 2 dead deer on the side of the road tho' grrrrrrr!!!

Anyway,I took some pics,enjoy!

"Oh I wish I were in the land of cotton......."
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/DSC00323.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/DSC00325.jpg

Down by the coast
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/DSC00337.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/DSC00342.jpg

jeeps84
10-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Great shots!

Carolina
10-19-2008, 07:20 PM
damn the bike looks good, as stated several times already that white tank set that hoe off. you have a good camera or that bike is clean as hell or a lil of both.

Amber Lamps
10-19-2008, 07:29 PM
damn the bike looks good, as stated several times already that white tank set that hoe off. you have a good camera or that bike is clean as hell or a lil of both.

Decent camera. I took some advice from CEO and got the Sony.

Great shots!

Thanks!

Amber Lamps
10-19-2008, 07:34 PM
oh and thanks to whom ever reminded me about the cf Suzuki "S"s!

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/DSC00329.jpg

Windscreen shot.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/DSC00328.jpg

Cutty72
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
shit looks clean bro, great work!

JoJoYZF
10-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Thats gotta be my favorite lookin gsxr. That thing turned out fuckin great

Amber Lamps
10-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Thats gotta be my favorite lookin gsxr. That thing turned out fuckin great