PDA

View Full Version : Just Me

Porkchop
10-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Hey all!!! I've been a member for a few months, but have never gotten around to introducing myself. (Except maybe to OSP who i believe used to live in Columbus) Some of you might have also been in the select few who dissuaded me from buying a used 08 6R as my first bike.

But anyway. My name is Adam or AJ. I'm 20, soon to be 21. YAY BEER! I was born in Columbus, Ohio, and reside in Grove City. I graduated from Bishop Ready HS and am currently a junior at THE Ohio State University. :rockwoot: I hope to go into business and entrepreneurship. I thrive in all forms of competition that include the combination of a ball/stick/net/field. I play hockey competitively and play golf/tennis in my free time. I am a fan of all professional Cleveland/Columbus teams. I also play guitar in my free time.(note try) I am a big fan of racing simulators including FIA GT, and of course Moto GP!! I like to travel, and would like to travel more on a motorcycle. My favorite places are Phoenix and Port Clinton...

I was the first of all of my friends that was "into" motorcycles when we were young. Now I am pretty much obsessed. And yet here I sit, the only one of my friends that doesnt have a bike.(controlling parents) My favorite bikes include the 05/06 Kawasaki zx-6r 636, 07/08 Yamaha R1, 07/08 Kawasaki zx-6r, 03/08 Kawasaki Z1000, 2002+ Buell Xb9R Firebolt, and 2002+ Honda VFR800. Looking at those bikes its easy to assume that I'm a Kawi fan, and that may be true if I was living in the past, but I absolutely detest the direction Kawi has gone in the last 2 years. I hope they go back the direction they were before..

But anyway, since all of those bikes are not fit to be a beginner bike, I am looking at getting a Ninja 500 or older YZF600R in the spring. Anything else just ask.... Lata :twfix:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/BRbaseball52/Me.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/BRbaseball52/blue2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/BRbaseball52/IMG_0429.jpg

Trip
10-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Hey, welcome to posting on the madhouse. Good luck on your bike search, looks like you got a good head on your shoulders.

Mr Lefty
10-19-2008, 12:59 AM
glad you were open to the advice... hope you can get on two wheels quick... but take your time... your young... you don't have to rush into the first opportunity that comes... wait for a good deal and you'll be much better of...

:welcome: officially! :wink:

BobTheBiker
10-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Welcome. I WOULD like kawi, IF they could improve the quality of their bikes. the EX500 is just such a poorly designed bike, I wont ever have another. go with the YZF600. its honestly a better bike in every aspect POSSIBLE, and you can grow into it more. the EX is a bored and stroked 454LTD engine which was a polished turd that was 20 years old when kawasaki released the EX500 with that technology.

Mrs. Colleen
10-19-2008, 01:27 AM
:welcome: :beers:

Don't forget about the FZR! :D :lol:

DIMford
10-19-2008, 09:15 AM
:welcome:

JoJoYZF
10-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Welcome. I started on and still ride a 2000 yzf600r and I love it. Very forgiving yet fun and relatively quick.

NONE_too_SOFT
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
if your looking to buy dont wait for spring. people can jack the price up when demand starts to go up. start looking mid dec-january.

I'll be sure to stop down and go for a ride with you if you pick something up. i'm always headed down south, specially near zanesville, cambridge, etc.

azoomm
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome!

jeeps84
10-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey, welcome to posting on the madhouse. Good luck on your bike search, looks like you got a good head on your shoulders.

:withstupid:

marko138
10-19-2008, 09:49 PM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/markgraves138/chappelle-rickjames.jpg

:welcome:

smileyman
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Howdie!:twfix: I second the YZF600R. Find a good low mile model they'll treat you right...Ninja 650 would be my next choice before the although if you find a real good buy on a new 500 that might give me pause...Anyway find what really lights your fire and have fun!

Rider
10-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Welcome. :twfix:

fnfalman
10-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the site!!!

Don't let parents hold you back. Find yourself a sugar mama.

Sixxxxer
10-21-2008, 01:09 AM
So I'd be an Asshole For Posting This Eh??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/Braindamaged0386/DSC_0093-Copy.jpg

Lol.

Welcome to TWFix...Good to have another Kawi Nut On Board!!

BobTheBiker
10-21-2008, 02:12 AM
those larger kawi's are nice. I wouldnt touch the entry level EX stuff again. way too much necessary if you want to keep any of em for a long time in terms of upgrades compared to the 600 class.

the EX series needs better tires, suspension, a carb tuning before it leaves the dealer, and WAY too many more things to really be ideal honestly. the suspension part on the 250 and 500 ninjas ends up being either A. really tricky to do(if you go the cheap route) or B. rather expensive, and still a pain in the ass. I still vote Yamaha YZF600. an 03-05 R6 wouldnt be a bad choice either if you've got control of your ego, and right hand.

Mr Lefty
10-21-2008, 02:44 AM
I loved my 05 ZZR600... but it can be had cheaper in it's former name the 02 ZX6R

it's got all day comfort... more than enough power IMO... and fucking bright ass headlights! :lol: never had an issue with it... though I did have some issues with finding neutral on my Indy Trip... but I had the same oil in that I had stored it with (changed when I put it in storage) but it was due again when these problems started...

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 03:53 PM
So I'd be an Asshole For Posting This Eh??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/Braindamaged0386/DSC_0093-Copy.jpg

Lol.

Welcome to TWFix...Good to have another Kawi Nut On Board!!

Oh, no.... with some coaching from the many fine members on this forum, I have actually been able to tell myself the world won't end next week and I will have time in my life to upgrade to a faster/sexier bike down the road!!! But what and absolute beaut she is. Can I ask how much you got her for?? I sat on a blue one at a dealer last week! I love the chrome lettering they use with the blue tho...:drool::drool::drool:

those larger kawi's are nice. I wouldnt touch the entry level EX stuff again. way too much necessary if you want to keep any of em for a long time in terms of upgrades compared to the 600 class.

the EX series needs better tires, suspension, a carb tuning before it leaves the dealer, and WAY too many more things to really be ideal honestly. the suspension part on the 250 and 500 ninjas ends up being either A. really tricky to do(if you go the cheap route) or B. rather expensive, and still a pain in the ass. I still vote Yamaha YZF600. an 03-05 R6 wouldnt be a bad choice either if you've got control of your ego, and right hand.

My best friend started on an 05 R6 about 4 months ago and he has done rather fine... except for one incident involving a dog and the subsequent drive into a neighbors yard... it cost him a new windshield. He has a good head on his shoulders and is mature enought to handle a midsized bike. The one thing that scared me about him is he only weighs about 110 soaking wet. Honest to god it would take 3 of him to equal what i weigh.

I loved my 05 ZZR600... but it can be had cheaper in it's former name the 02 ZX6R

it's got all day comfort... more than enough power IMO... and fucking bright ass headlights! :lol: never had an issue with it... though I did have some issues with finding neutral on my Indy Trip... but I had the same oil in that I had stored it with (changed when I put it in storage) but it was due again when these problems started...

Love the ZZR/zx-6r. Those big cat eyes, duck bill intake, and relatively comfortable seat. My other friend had one before a bout with some gravel in a turn. Bugs me it doesnt have a gas guage tho... Now I know the older zx-6r can be had for cheaper, but isnt that still classefied under the sport insurance, whereas the ZZR is under the S/T category??

Mr Lefty
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Love the ZZR/zx-6r. Those big cat eyes, duck bill intake, and relatively comfortable seat. My other friend had one before a bout with some gravel in a turn. Bugs me it doesnt have a gas guage tho... Now I know the older zx-6r can be had for cheaper, but isnt that still classefied under the sport insurance, whereas the ZZR is under the S/T category??

no... for me (I'm with State farm) they go by cc's... so my insurance for a 08 600RR (my next bike) is $20 more a year... bringing it to a total of $48... for full coverage... but I'm 28... and there was a NICE drop in my insurance after 25.

as for the gas gauge... it bugged me too for about 2 months... after that you get used to it... you learn when it starts sputtering, switch to reserve and find a gas station... you usually had about 20 miles to play with. Besides any time I threw my leg over I looked at my trip meter... I could go 150-170 on it with stock gearing per tank... before reserve. so if it was above 120 I would fill up if it was anything more than just a quick run to the store, ect.

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
fffffffffffffffffourty eight???????

I was quoted with no accidents/violations through Geico at........ hold on let me stable myself for this one...... $2,500 on a newer 600! :panic: F-ing sportbikes and their squidly riders...!!!

marko138
10-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I've never rode a bike with a gas guage. Who needs it?

Sixxxxer
10-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Two Things...One

I started on a ZX7R...I'm Still Alive. You could buy a Busa and Learn how to ride...It's called Self Control. I think a 600 Is just as good a bike to learn on as a 250/500...You'll learn to ride it then Get Really Bored Really Quick....I have ridden my Six all of this season and Am Still not Tired of it or the Power it has. But Hey You Just Do you and be happy thats all that matters.

Second...

9,999 Out the Door with Gap Insurance and an Extended Warranty and New Lid. And I'm 22 Full Coverage is 500 a Year for me and I'm Also with State Farm...Stray Away from geico and Progressive...There Ass Rapings Waiting to Happen.

Sixxxxer
10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
fffffffffffffffffourty eight???????

I was quoted with no accidents/violations through Geico at........ hold on let me stable myself for this one...... $2,500 on a newer 600! :panic: F-ing sportbikes and their squidly riders...!!!

Thats Fourty Eight a Month...Not For the Whole Year...But Yes State Farm is Actually The Best I've seen as far as Motorcycle Insurance goes.

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Shhhh dont tell anyone.... :whistle:

But I found a brand new, 0 mile, silver 2007 zx-6r up in northern ohio for... 6,499!!!

If they wouldnt rape me in t/t/t and prep fees I'd think about it!

Mr Lefty
10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah the $48 is per month... so it doubled my annual premium... but shit that's still less than $600 a year.

and even if it was $6000 if I was gonna own a bike state farm would get my buisness... they've earned my buisness many MANY times over... and the office I go through, busts their ass to take care of me.

Sixxxxer
10-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Shhhh dont tell anyone.... :whistle:

But I found a brand new, 0 mile, silver 2007 zx-6r up in northern ohio for... 6,499!!!

If they wouldnt rape me in t/t/t and prep fees I'd think about it!

Tax Title Tags isnt that Much...I'd be on that like White On Rice...I Love my Zix.

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 06:22 PM
If I wasnt in school, and had a job that was currently giving me more than 15 hours a week I would no questions asked. Stupid work... It looks like this...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/BRbaseball52/092306_6r_bottom.jpg

But other than that i see i can pick up an OLD zx6r for relatively cheap. Like this one... Its kinda cyclopish, but atleast it has a split seat...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/BRbaseball52/20055C125C225Cbikepics-487209-full.jpg

dReWpY
10-21-2008, 06:58 PM
no... for me (I'm with State farm) they go by cc's... so my insurance for a 08 600RR (my next bike) is $20 more a year... bringing it to a total of $48... for full coverage... but I'm 28... and there was a NICE drop in my insurance after 25.

as for the gas gauge... it bugged me too for about 2 months... after that you get used to it... you learn when it starts sputtering, switch to reserve and find a gas station... you usually had about 20 miles to play with. Besides any time I threw my leg over I looked at my trip meter... I could go 150-170 on it with stock gearing per tank... before reserve. so if it was above 120 I would fill up if it was anything more than just a quick run to the store, ect.

just wait till you try and switch to reserve on the new rr...

Mr Lefty
10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
it has a gas guage ;)

marko138
10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Save yourself some cash, anguish and heartache...get an old used bike. You're gonna wreck the first one. Minimize the collateral damage and buy used.

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
yea I know... Its basically down to these couple bikes...

Older YZF600R
99 or older zx6r (pictured)
FZ6??

marko138
10-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Out of that list I'd go with the ZX personally.

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Out of that list I'd go with the ZX personally.

Why would you say that??? THX

marko138
10-21-2008, 07:55 PM
IMO...it's gonna be the best looking.

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
:dvrofl:

Works for me... lol. The looks of the newer FZ dont fancy ya???

Shift
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM
didn't read the entire thread but what kinda price range are you looking at?

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
NOT ALOT!!!! haha

No really, like I said i'm a college student whos work hours have been cut to almost 15 a week.... for some unknown reason.

I'm going to be selling some very expensive audio equiptment soon. I hope to have between 2000 and 2500 for a bike by dec/jan. I know it wont get me much. But i want something cheap so i can save and get a 636 after i get out of school...

Shift
10-21-2008, 08:27 PM
yeah 2500 really limits you. If you could get to the $3500 price range it would really open things up for you as far as selection goes.

I'd still try to get the newest thing you could get though. I rode my friends 02 zx7 and it was the least fun I've ever heard. Too heavy and it just handled like absolute ass compared to modern bikes. So I def would not be happy dropping 2 grand on a ten year old machine that has beat through hell during its life span (and don't kid yourself it has been if its for sale in that price range). I guess I would say get a newer used 500 so at least then it's something that will be reliable.

Mr Lefty
10-21-2008, 09:07 PM
yeah I'd try to save as much as ya can and get up into the $3500 range... and go with an 03 or older ZX6R :2cents:

Shift
10-21-2008, 09:18 PM
yeah I'd try to save as much as ya can and get up into the $3500 range... and go with an 03 or older ZX6R :2cents:

Nah the zx6 sucked monkey balls up until the 636 came out in 03-04. If he had around 3200 I'd say shop for a 99-04 F4 or F4i. Reliable, cheap, and not a bad bike to learn on.

Mr Lefty
10-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Nah the zx6 sucked monkey balls up until the 636 came out in 03-04. If he had around 3200 I'd say shop for a 99-04 F4 or F4i. Reliable, cheap, and not a bad bike to learn on.

uh... my ZZR600 was the reincarnated 02 ZX6... it was the best 600 that year.

Shift
10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
uh... my ZZR600 was the reincarnated 02 ZX6... it was the best 600 that year.

Maybe in the mags when it first came out, but it still holds nothing to an 03 636 if he could round up a few more bucks. And even though its essentially the same bike as your new ZZR I highly doubt most older kawis are a match for honda's reliability, which is something very important to consider considering his funds.

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Maybe in the mags when it first came out, but it still holds nothing to an 03 636 if he could round up a few more bucks. And even though its essentially the same bike as your new ZZR I highly doubt most older kawis are a match for honda's reliability, which is something very important to consider considering his funds.

Your getting away from the fact that i'm an inexperienced rider tho (ridden before, never owned). i think some people here would say that the 636 is too much for a person's first bike. I mean I 100% for sure want an 05/06 636 as my second bike. But the thing i think you also are weighing into the matter is the ability of a bike over the ability of me. Me never owning a bike before... how would I know an older zx6r is heavy and sucks? All im gonna think is that its faster and can turn sharper than any sports car ive ever driven. Plus I wont have any past bikes to judge it against like most ppl here.

I like the F4. But the zx6r beat it bad in 2000....
I definatly dont like the F4i which beat the zx in 2001...

But if we talk 2000 F4, what is the difference betwee that and the YZF600R I've had in my list? Both are carbed, both have banana seat, both have bars above the triple tree, both have single headlight. The thundercat is mostly cheaper too....

Shift
10-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Your getting away from the fact that i'm an inexperienced rider tho (ridden before, never owned). i think some people here would say that the 636 is too much for a person's first bike. I mean I 100% for sure want an 05/06 636 as my second bike. But the thing i think you also are weighing into the matter is the ability of a bike over the ability of me. Me never owning a bike before... how would I know an older zx6r is heavy and sucks? All im gonna think is that its faster and can turn sharper than any sports car ive ever driven. Plus I wont have any past bikes to judge it against like most ppl here.

I can tell by your post you should be fine no matter what you get. I still say get an older honda just for reliability sakes. I'm not saying a properly taken care of old yzf or zx6 wont last a long time but I've seen a lot more F3 and F4's last 100k+ miles with less then spectacular maint. over the years.

Porkchop
10-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I still say get an older honda just for reliability sakes...

And that from a Kawasaki owner!!! Thanks for all the help tho!!!

JoJoYZF
10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
And that from a Kawasaki owner!!! Thanks for all the help tho!!!

Honda definitely makes some great machines that are very durable, but the yzf600r can last just as long with mediocre maintenance. Theres a couple on my other forum that are at 100k miles and quite a few that are well over 50k with no major issues.

Mr Lefty
10-21-2008, 11:46 PM

I like the F4. But the zx6r beat it bad in 2000....
I definatly dont like the F4i which beat the zx in 2001...

But if we talk 2000 F4, what is the difference betwee that and the YZF600R I've had in my list? Both are carbed, both have banana seat, both have bars above the triple tree, both have single headlight. The thundercat is mostly cheaper too....

not really... anyone who's ever ridden the 636 knows it offers more grunt than the 599... but it's not enough to say that a noob who can start on the 599 wouldn't be ok on the 636.

Shift
10-21-2008, 11:59 PM
anyone who's ever ridden the 636 knows it offers more grunt than the 599... .

Tis so true. Can only wish I had that motor, minus the trans of course, in my 08. Ah would life be fun then.