PDA

View Full Version : Sport/tourers vs Sportbikes

No Worries
10-20-2008, 12:57 AM
I found an old Motorcyclist magazine (Jan. 2002) where the front headline was "Sport-tourers vs. Sportbikes (it's closer than you think)." They compared Italian bikes. The Ducati 996 vs Ducati ST4s, and the Aprilia Mille R vs Aprilia Futura.

On the road, the ST's have higher handlebars, so the rider is more upright. Also, the bars are wider which make them easier to steer. The ST's "gave a much greater feeling of being in complete control."

The ST's have the same basic engine, but are retuned by different mapping, cams, gearing, etc. to deliver power at lower road speeds. The 996 and Mille were geared to the moon for top speeds over 160. The ST's also had lighter suspension damping. On all but the fastest roads, the ST's hung with the sporties.

What about the track? They had two racetrack veterans and one novice racer, and ran the Streets Of Willow. They yanked the centerstands off the ST's, but kept the saddlebags on. The expert went fastest on the sportbikes. Five full seconds faster on the Mille than the Futura. But less than 2 seconds faster on the 996 than the ST4s.

The other racer ran half a second faster on the Mille than the ST4s. But the ST4s beat the 996 by two tenths. The novice ran the two sport bikes faster than the ST's, but was faster on the Furura by a second over the ST4s.

Here's my theory. I feel that with an upright seating position, I can lean wayyyy off the bike. When I rode an Aprilia, my face was almost on the tank and it was difficult to lean my upper body. Try it from the chair you're sitting on now. Sit up straight and lean to either side. The put your face by the keyboard and see how far you can lean. Your center of gravity moves much more when you are sitting upright.

jeeps84
10-20-2008, 01:10 AM
I think its more what your are use to riding. With that said, I knock out quicker lap times at CMP on my 96 M900 than I did on my 04 998 or 05 GSXR1000. Granted CMP is a short tight track The big bike have no room to eat.

A track friend wanted to make a few laps on the Monster to try it out. He was use to an F3. I think they are very smilier in seating position except for higher pegs on Monster. He came back not liking it but checked times and was actually quicker.

He rode another friends R6 and went slower.

marko138
10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Interesting. All things equal I'd take the sportbike on looks alone.

jeeps84
10-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Interesting. All things equal I'd take the sportbike on looks alone.

But if you want comfort too, hard to go wrong with a good sport tour. Especially if you pick one that uses a true SS as the platform.

marko138
10-20-2008, 10:11 AM
But if you want comfort too, hard to go wrong with a good sport tour. Especially if you pick one that uses a true SS as the platform.
True.

smileyman
10-20-2008, 11:49 AM
I have ridden with everything, cruisers, gold wingers, sport bikes, exotics, motards, sport tourers, hyperbikes, race replicas...You can go and have fun on any of them and the highway acts as it's own equalizer. I have easily kept up with literbikes, gotten schooled by ancient FJR's, been in dogfight maneuvers with Triumph Tigers, Even had one BMW tourer show me a tail light. It is all in fun and within the imposed limits of hiway safety so get whatever you enjoy riding the most...

sfarson
10-20-2008, 11:15 PM
I found an old Motorcyclist magazine (Jan. 2002) where the front headline was "Sport-tourers vs. Sportbikes (it's closer than you think)." They compared Italian bikes. The Ducati 996 vs Ducati ST4s, and the Aprilia Mille R vs Aprilia Futura.

On the road, the ST's have higher handlebars, so the rider is more upright. Also, the bars are wider which make them easier to steer. The ST's "gave a much greater feeling of being in complete control."

The ST's have the same basic engine, but are retuned by different mapping, cams, gearing, etc. to deliver power at lower road speeds. The 996 and Mille were geared to the moon for top speeds over 160. The ST's also had lighter suspension damping. On all but the fastest roads, the ST's hung with the sporties.

What about the track? They had two racetrack veterans and one novice racer, and ran the Streets Of Willow. They yanked the centerstands off the ST's, but kept the saddlebags on. The expert went fastest on the sportbikes. Five full seconds faster on the Mille than the Futura. But less than 2 seconds faster on the 996 than the ST4s.

The other racer ran half a second faster on the Mille than the ST4s. But the ST4s beat the 996 by two tenths. The novice ran the two sport bikes faster than the ST's, but was faster on the Furura by a second over the ST4s.

Here's my theory. I feel that with an upright seating position, I can lean wayyyy off the bike. When I rode an Aprilia, my face was almost on the tank and it was difficult to lean my upper body. Try it from the chair you're sitting on now. Sit up straight and lean to either side. The put your face by the keyboard and see how far you can lean. Your center of gravity moves much more when you are sitting upright.

Tend to agree with much of this p-o-v. For the majority of riding mortals, the comfort and confidence of a bike with more relaxed ergos (ST like) will pay dividends if getting from A to B as fast as possible is the aim. On the other side of the coin is the experience in getting from A to B, with appearance, sounds, thrust, light weight, etc. all coming into play. Here sportbikes tend to offer that extra pizzazz. As Peter Egan notes... need to have both!

FWIW, have read reports of riders owning a BMW K1200S and Ducati 1098, going faster on the big beemer.

BobTheBiker
10-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Personally, I'd prefer to own the sport tourer nowadays. right now I'm looking into an FJR 1300, or maybe a busa set up with higher bars and taller windscreen for sporty touring/longer rides.

DIMford
10-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I have looked into getting a Honda Interceptor for when I move out west so I have something that is comfortable for taking on long road trips and also has some hard bags for baggage for said trips.