PDA

View Full Version : The gold

MikeSP1
11-01-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm curious, does anyone know how much a new set of Ohlins forks costs?

marko138
11-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I can get a set for my Buell for 2800 bucks.

OTB
11-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Their top-of-the-line forks retail for $13,700, the Rt series (heavier, less adjustment and valved differently) are $2900 or so. You can buy Ohlins cartidge kits for about $480, and valve kits for about $300 or there abouts.

MikeSP1
11-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm definitely not looking for top-o'-the-line race forks. I might be replacing the Showa's that got damaged when my bike was shipped out here. I'm assuming a touch over $2000 for the fgr800 then?

PiZdETS
11-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm definitely not looking for top-o'-the-line race forks. I might be replacing the Showa's that got damaged when my bike was shipped out here. I'm assuming a touch over $2000 for the fgr800 then?
If you read Japanese, these guys (http://www.carrozzeriajapan.co.jp/ohlins/2w/index.html) in Japan are a distributor for ohlins.

jeeps84
11-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Damaged as in bent or just leaking? If just leaking. Rebuild! If you think the are bent. make sure its not just a bent bar from shipping or even pulled out of align. Ive crashed a few bikes and thought fork damage at first. After closer inspection. I found the front was just out of alignment. :luck:

MikeSP1
11-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Damaged as in bent or just leaking? If just leaking. Rebuild! If you think the are bent. make sure its not just a bent bar from shipping or even pulled out of align. Ive crashed a few bikes and thought fork damage at first. After closer inspection. I found the front was just out of alignment. :luck:

Just after I bought the bike I took the Showa's apart because of blown fork seals and noticed that there's a "spot" about 2" diameter on the inside of both outer tubes. Looks to me like the inner tube rubbed at some point in time (possibly during the wheelies that blew out the fork seals).

But now the front end is making a noise I've never heard before. Hold the front brake and work the suspension and it makes a squeaking/groaning noise. I know that when it was shipped, the front end was severely compressed for about 6 weeks :(

r!der
11-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Does it have to be ohlins? If no, I got a place I can recommend for a fraction of the price.

MikeSP1
11-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Does it have to be ohlins? If no, I got a place I can recommend for a fraction of the price.

Doesn't need to be O. I may just pull 'em and ship 'em to Dan Kyle when I buy the rear link, have him work his magic on 'em.

jeeps84
11-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Suspension being compressed for prolonged periods of time is the worst drawback for transporting a bike.

You will probably need to replace the inner tubes at minimum if there is any visible oddities.

I dont know your riding ability or tuning skills. Personally, I know just enough about it to get myself in trouble. IMHO I would not spend the money on the top of the line goodies unless you can pull lap times with Ben Spies. Just get some good springs and valves. Have somebody that knows how to set you up help with the initial tuning. Keep in mind that there are way to many variables on normal road surfaces to tune a street bike. You have to start with the sag and find that happy medium. Every track requires different tunning too depending on track temp, surface and tires being used. :luck:

MikeSP1
11-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I can set the suspension myself if it's adjustable. If it's not adjustable, I've gotta get the right cartridges/valving/springs/fluid, but I can still do it. I know that the internals weren't in bad shape the last time I had them apart, but there were aspects about them that weren't perfect, and with the recent amount of damage that my front end has taken, I may be looking at getting a new set of forks and using my current ones for spare parts, or sending these off to get rebuilt/refurbished with internals set up for my weight.

But whatever I do, the next time I need to ship my bike, I will be the one to put my bike on the pallet that I built with the restrain system that bought. To hell with the "professionals."

marko138
11-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I can set the suspension myself if it's adjustable. If it's not adjustable, I've gotta get the right cartridges/valving/springs/fluid, but I can still do it. I know that the internals weren't in bad shape the last time I had them apart, but there were aspects about them that weren't perfect, and with the recent amount of damage that my front end has taken, I may be looking at getting a new set of forks and using my current ones for spare parts, or sending these off to get rebuilt/refurbished with internals set up for my weight.

But whatever I do, the next time I need to ship my bike, I will be the one to put my bike on the pallet that I built with the restrain system that bought. To hell with the "professionals."
Professionals rarely do things the way they should be done....as far as that goes.