PDA

View Full Version : What GPS do you have?

OneSickPsycho
03-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Lookin' to get one... What's everybody rocking out there?

Gas Man
03-02-2008, 11:19 AM
you mean like Garmin?

OneSickPsycho
03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
you mean like Garmin?

Yeah, what brand/model? Does it work well?

I figured this would be a fitting place to start in this sub-forum... Plus I'm looking to buy one in the near future and want to hear other people's experiences.

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I'll be going with thishttps://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=&pID=8582

and this mount
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/attachments/zzr-600/147011d1199496988-gadgets-pictures-1155.jpg
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/attachments/zzr-600/147012d1199496988t-gadgets-pictures-1157.jpg

it's called the ram mount and plugs into your steering head opening
http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/

Amber Lamps
03-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I have a Mio can't remember the model but it's the largest one and I got it at Radio Shack for $200. t doesn't have all the features of the more expensive units but it has a very large screen,redirect,poi,it's updatable from their website,it charges from either usb or the supplied car charger,mp3 player...and a bunch of other crap that I'll never use. I liked the large color display and the price.

OneSickPsycho
03-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I'll be going with thishttps://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=&pID=8582

and this mount
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/attachments/zzr-600/147011d1199496988-gadgets-pictures-1155.jpg
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/attachments/zzr-600/147012d1199496988t-gadgets-pictures-1157.jpg

it's called the ram mount and plugs into your steering head opening
http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/

Probably not for me... I was thinking sub-$300...

I have a Mio can't remember the model but it's the largest one and I got it at Radio Shack for $200. t doesn't have all the features of the more expensive units but it has a very large screen,redirect,poi,it's updatable from their website,it charges from either usb or the supplied car charger,mp3 player...and a bunch of other crap that I'll never use. I liked the large color display and the price.

I am thinking about just getting the cheapest one I can find... Text to speech, MP3 player, all that other shit... I just need to be able to map my rides, find my way around if I get lost, and track goofy stats for my enjoyment (average MPH, etc)...

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I have the Garmin Ledgend CX it was around 200 I think... little hand held one... I used it when I got back from my deployment to drive down from AK to Oregon over to Fargo and back up to AK... it wasn't bad... though the read out was kinda small... and you need to buy extra maps for it to be of any real use in the cities... but it was nice to see what speed I was actually going and get my true milage (my 33" tires throw my spedo off)

OneSickPsycho
03-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I have the Garmin Ledgend CX it was around 200 I think... little hand held one... I used it when I got back from my deployment to drive down from AK to Oregon over to Fargo and back up to AK... it wasn't bad... though the read out was kinda small... and you need to buy extra maps for it to be of any real use in the cities... but it was nice to see what speed I was actually going and get my true milage (my 33" tires throw my spedo off)

The ones that are specific to your car come with better maps from what I hear... Plus I like the bigger displays... I will have to halfass some sort of mount for the bike though...

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 10:55 PM
The ones that are specific to your car come with better maps from what I hear... Plus I like the bigger displays... I will have to halfass some sort of mount for the bike though...

look at the link I posted for the ram mounts... they have several for "car" gps systems..

OneSickPsycho
03-02-2008, 11:04 PM
look at the link I posted for the ram mounts... they have several for "car" gps systems..

I am going to make my own... or just use the clear window on a tank bag... Part of my purpose is to use it for the Cali trip... I want easy access to my GPS, iPod, and digital camera when riding... Digicam will be getting a polycarbonate, waterproof shell and will be mounted somehow to allow me to take pics quickly, easily, and safely while riding.

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 11:05 PM
I am going to make my own... or just use the clear window on a tank bag... Part of my purpose is to use it for the Cali trip... I want easy access to my GPS, iPod, and digital camera when riding... Digicam will be getting a polycarbonate, waterproof shell and will be mounted somehow to allow me to take pics quickly, easily, and safely while riding.

take pics of your setup when your done!

OneSickPsycho
03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
take pics of your setup when your done!

And the build process no doubt.

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 11:10 PM
And the build process no doubt.

so you confirmed for Indy yet?!

OneSickPsycho
03-02-2008, 11:11 PM
so you confirmed for Indy yet?!

Negative... I'll have to wait until it gets much closer to figure it out...

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Negative... I'll have to wait until it gets much closer to figure it out...

cool cool... well let me know... I'll be riding down to meetup with Rae... we could meet you and ride up to Trip's together.

OneSickPsycho
03-02-2008, 11:15 PM
cool cool... well let me know... I'll be riding down to meetup with Rae... we could meet you and ride up to Trip's together.

For real? Where will you be coming from?

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 11:19 PM
For real? Where will you be coming from?

Fargo...

Fargo to Omaha (my bro's) to St Louis to Trips, to Rae, to Trips, To indy, Then from Indy to Columbus, to GasMans, to Omaha, to Colorado Springs , to Omaha, back to Fargo... :lol:

OneSickPsycho
03-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Fargo...

Fargo to Omaha (my bro's) to St Louis to Trips, to Rae, to Trips, To indy, Then from Indy to Columbus, to GasMans, to Omaha, to Colorado Springs , to Omaha, back to Fargo... :lol:

Why would you do Trip's to Rae's and then back? That seems backasswards... And the rest of the trip... You need a better trip planner. :lol:

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Why would you do Trip's to Rae's and then back? That seems backasswards... And the rest of the trip... You need a better trip planner. :lol:

let me explain it better

coming from my parents in fargo

staying a couple days in Omaha at my bro's

from there headed to FL but stop'n for 1 night in St Louis and the next night i'll be close to Trip so I figured I'd try bum'n his couch for the night... (oh Trip do ya mind :lol:)

Then Down to Rae... back up with Rae to Trips.. to meet him and Drewpy.

Then to Indy. from Indy I figured I'd ride with NtS to Cbus to Iron Pony... then head up to Gasmans.

From there head back to spend a little time with my bro's in Omaha again (my other brother will be there by then)

Then over to Colorado Springs to do some house hunting for my next base

then back to Omaha for a free nights stay at my bro's again... and back to ND.

:lol: yeah I'm all the fuck over the place!

t-homo
03-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Depending on what weekend it is if i'm home from school, as opposed to spending money to stay in St. Louis, you could stay at my place in Mexico, MO, about an hour west of St.L on I-70.

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Depending on what weekend it is if i'm home from school, as opposed to spending money to stay in St. Louis, you could stay at my place in Mexico, MO, about an hour west of St.L on I-70.

it'd be like september 8th or 9th I think... which are weekdays

DLIT
03-03-2008, 03:30 AM
GPS's are plug and play, right? You just have to enter the coordinates and you're good, right? Don't have to pay a fee or anything?

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 03:32 AM
GPS's are plug and play, right? You just have to enter the coordinates and you're good, right? Don't have to pay a fee or anything?
no no fee... but you may have to buy maps... err you WILL have to buy maps eventually... so you stay up to date... but like my little E-trex Legend you may need maps to see anything other than a freeway

DLIT
03-03-2008, 03:37 AM
I won't waste my money on one then. Don't do enough long trips or anything.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 03:40 AM
I won't waste my money on one then. Don't do enough long trips or anything.

yeah really I don't even need one... a map in the tank bag is all I'd need... or even just a note with the roads to watch for... (I always carry a map though) but I got it for wheeling... and I can upload my routes and post them... so i'll use it for the blog comp.

Amber Lamps
03-03-2008, 02:39 PM
I used my gps just today,it's a Mio C320 btw and I put it in my tankbag. Plus,I have an earbud I got at radio shack so I can hear the directions. A good mount system is made by Saeng/Ta. They make one for every bike and mine will take two items,ie; radar and phone,radar and gps,gps and camera, etc. Btw2 didn't I mention that the gps I have has an sd port so you can download mp3s and leave your Ipod at home. It interupts the music to give you the next direction. Pretty cool display that's 2 1/4" X 4" which you can toggle between direction,poi,song title/list,etc. My biggest problem with it is the lack of batt. life but you can wire a cigarette lighter style recepticle to your batt and use the car charger on your bike. I hope this helps.

Cutty72
03-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Just got a new model in, haven't done a lot of research on it yet.
Garmin Nuvi 760
I can offer it to anyone for $599 shipped.
comes with a 110v adapter, and leather case.

dReWpY
03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
my gps:

my env phone, does directions,distance traveled, routes and mp3

Cutty72
03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
my gps:

my env phone, does directions,distance traveled, routes and mp3

ya... i will probalby get VZ Navigator on my phone this summer.

Switch
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Navigon.

Got me to Tally and back...

100 bux.

marko138
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 200W in my car. Works well. Widescreen is Niiiiiiiiice.

Mule
03-03-2008, 05:58 PM
GPS for a fucking motorcycle....let's think about this for a second.....

when i'm on the bike, i want to get lost so that i can ride longer.....only thing i'd want a gps for is to map out gas stations, since my range is only about 120 miles per tank.....

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
GPS for a fucking motorcycle....let's think about this for a second.....

when i'm on the bike, i want to get lost so that i can ride longer.....only thing i'd want a gps for is to map out gas stations, since my range is only about 120 miles per tank.....

ehh I used it to give me a more realistic spedo reading as I haven't gotten my spedo healer hookedup

when riding long distances and heading through cities... it's nice to have in case you miss a turn or something ya know?

but really the main purpose I'd use it for is to log my trip.

Mule
03-03-2008, 06:07 PM
ehh I used it to give me a more realistic spedo reading as I haven't gotten my spedo healer hookedup

when riding long distances and heading through cities... it's nice to have in case you miss a turn or something ya know?

but really the main purpose I'd use it for is to log my trip.

i suppose there's nothing wrong with knowing your way around....There aren't too many places that i'll get lost in Florida, been here all my life....and those few times i get lost, i won't care as long as I have the iPod blaring and and a nice wide open stretch of asphalt to batter

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 06:12 PM
i suppose there's nothing wrong with knowing your way around....There aren't too many places that i'll get lost in Florida, been here all my life....and those few times i get lost, i won't care as long as I have the iPod blaring and and a nice wide open stretch of asphalt to batter

yeah... well I wouldn't be using the GPS for "round home" runs... just long multi state trips...

My favorite thing to do in my Truck (next to wheeling it) is just go get lost and find my way back... I tried that on my bike but in AK... you can't really get lost... there's not to many roads :lol:

but when I get back to the states... that'll be the majority of my riding... getting lost... finding my way back... and getting lost again...

Amber Lamps
03-03-2008, 06:31 PM
yeah... well I wouldn't be using the GPS for "round home" runs... just long multi state trips...

My favorite thing to do in my Truck (next to wheeling it) is just go get lost and find my way back... I tried that on my bike but in AK... you can't really get lost... there's not to many roads :lol:

but when I get back to the states... that'll be the majority of my riding... getting lost... finding my way back... and getting lost again...

I agree,it's great getting lost but eventually you might want to get home again! Btw my experience with phone based gps isn't very good. You have to have to be in your carriers "premium service" area or it doesn't work and the lag time is terrible! Like Ebbs, if you carry a map anyway and are using your phone as a suppliment,you should be fine. Note;some of the gps companies let you download maps from their websites for free.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I agree,it's great getting lost but eventually you might want to get home again! Btw my experience with phone based gps isn't very good. You have to have to be in your carriers "premium service" area or it doesn't work and the lag time is terrible! Like Ebbs, if you carry a map anyway and are using your phone as a suppliment,you should be fine. Note;some of the gps companies let you download maps from their websites for free.
yeah I work in progressions... start with just near by back roads... then work my way out... so the further out i get... the more roads i'll recognize when i'm on my way back. but a map is MANDATORY in every vehicle I have :2cents:

Amber Lamps
03-03-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah I work in progressions... start with just near by back roads... then work my way out... so the further out i get... the more roads i'll recognize when i'm on my way back. but a map is MANDATORY in every vehicle I have :2cents:

Do you carry your L-compass and a terrain map too? Ah,good ol' military training!:pat:

Mr Lefty
03-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Do you carry your L-compass and a terrain map too? Ah,good ol' military training!:pat:

I don't make it a point but I always seem to have a compass on me... terrain map... ehh not so much... I can survive in a vehicle with out a terrain map... but yeah if I'm going hiking... they'er a madatory item too... (but they're backup to my hand held GPS)

Gas Man
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I got the wife a Garmin Nuvi 260W

The key in the Garmins is the remoded versions that don't have the folding ant. Further the widescreen is nice.

I will speak about things that matter for normal people in cars.

Speaking road names
many POI with phone numbers

Now they do offer a line for motorcycles (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135)...

t-homo
03-04-2008, 04:16 AM
it'd be like september 8th or 9th I think... which are weekdays

Sorry man, wont be able to help you out there, unless you want to put an extra hour on your trip on each sde of the night. I will show you how an engineering school in a town of 15k can drink though.

Becca_007
03-04-2008, 07:51 AM
I have the Garmin 60csx.

I had wanted a GPS for a while and as soon as I discovered geocaching I had to have one. The 60csx is a handheld so you can take it in the car, on the motorcycle, on the mountain bike, or simply walking around. When in the car you can hook it up to the laptop (via USB) and it works with DeLorme for excellent mapping. Otherwise it uses MicroSD cards to store maps and information (it really holds quite a lot).

On the motorcycle I love using the speed/odometer screen to see what my actual travel distance is. Took it skiing a few weekends ago and looking at where I'd been was pretty sweet. 20 miles overall; with 14 of it being going down the hills at a maximum speed of 33.3mph. I forget what the max and min elevation were. They are fun to have in airplanes too!

I also have a ram mount for mine. In the car it isn't a big deal since there are usually two of us and a laptop, but on the motorcycle and mountain bike I mount it on the handlebars.

OneSickPsycho
03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
I have the Garmin 60csx.

I had wanted a GPS for a while and as soon as I discovered geocaching I had to have one. The 60csx is a handheld so you can take it in the car, on the motorcycle, on the mountain bike, or simply walking around. When in the car you can hook it up to the laptop (via USB) and it works with DeLorme for excellent mapping. Otherwise it uses MicroSD cards to store maps and information (it really holds quite a lot).

On the motorcycle I love using the speed/odometer screen to see what my actual travel distance is. Took it skiing a few weekends ago and looking at where I'd been was pretty sweet. 20 miles overall; with 14 of it being going down the hills at a maximum speed of 33.3mph. I forget what the max and min elevation were. They are fun to have in airplanes too!

I also have a ram mount for mine. In the car it isn't a big deal since there are usually two of us and a laptop, but on the motorcycle and mountain bike I mount it on the handlebars.

WTF is geocaching?

Becca_007
03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Geocaching is treasure hunting of a sort. People hide "caches" all over the world. Somtimes the container is an ammo box, sometimes a film canister, sometimes a small tuperware container, and various others. The coordinates are posted are you can enter them into your GPS then go find it. I just started in August of 2007. You can find some really cool areas you didn't know about bu looking for these things. Unfortunately a 4 wheel vehicle is often the best way to search cause it's just too hot to tromp around the woods in full cycle gear.

Amber Lamps
03-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Note to OSP...the Mio C320 is still on sale at radio Shack for $200. I was there pursueing my ever prescent goal of making all of my electonics on my bike work perfectly together. Phone,gps and radar detector all coonected to my helmet without purchasing one of those way overpriced communications routers for bikes.

OneSickPsycho
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Note to OSP...the Mio C320 is still on sale at radio Shack for $200. I was there pursueing my ever prescent goal of making all of my electonics on my bike work perfectly together. Phone,gps and radar detector all coonected to my helmet without purchasing one of those way overpriced communications routers for bikes.

I still don't know what to get... I want something brainless, but decently accurate. I figure I'll probably just buy something cheap and be lovely about it.

GearGrabinGuy
03-05-2008, 01:10 AM
MINE FTW (http://www.radioshack.com/sm-buy-the-mio-digiwalker-c320-gps-receiver-on-wwwradioshackcom--pi-2862025.html)

I got this guy for X-mas and I LOVE IT, and its got all the bells and toys the $600 garmins have. Its BA

OneSickPsycho
03-05-2008, 07:20 AM
MINE FTW (http://www.radioshack.com/sm-buy-the-mio-digiwalker-c320-gps-receiver-on-wwwradioshackcom--pi-2862025.html)

I got this guy for X-mas and I LOVE IT, and its got all the bells and toys the $600 garmins have. Its BA

I do like the widescreen too... Others in that price range don't have that... I might be sold on this thing...

GearGrabinGuy
03-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Dude the huge screen is AWESOME! The thing that fails on the garmans for me, is to get your speed, or travel data (it does give you like time but doesnt give your speed) you have to switch screens, which is dangerous. this one all has that info on the side without ever leaving the map screen, which for garman you have to do. Its cheap and its nice. I seriously cant tell you how happy I am with it. The only thing it doesnt have is voice recognition. But I think that would be a lil odd anywho.

Amber Lamps
03-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey that's the one I've been talking about! In fact I uploaded music to it last night for fun. Heck the speaker is quite loud but it has a headphone jack. It doesn't come with headphones or a sd card,oh did we mention it's touchscreen? Like I said before,I'd wire power to your bike,that big screen kills the battery kinda fast but other than that I like it.

Amber Lamps
03-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Note,did you notice the refurb Tom Tom? Not to muddy the water but they make a nice unit also.

OneSickPsycho
03-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey that's the one I've been talking about! In fact I uploaded music to it last night for fun. Heck the speaker is quite loud but it has a headphone jack. It doesn't come with headphones or a sd card,oh did we mention it's touchscreen? Like I said before,I'd wire power to your bike,that big screen kills the battery kinda fast but other than that I like it.

Auxillary power is in the works on my rig...

Note,did you notice the refurb Tom Tom? Not to muddy the water but they make a nice unit also.

Yeah, I was checking out the Tom Tom One 3rd edition the other day online... It's about the same price range... Honestly, I'm pretty sold on that Mio now...

Amber Lamps
03-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Auxillary power is in the works on my rig...

Yeah, I was checking out the Tom Tom One 3rd edition the other day online... It's about the same price range... Honestly, I'm pretty sold on that Mio now...

Cool I'm sure that it will enhance your ride!

Hey,on another subject,our favorite one,did you know that you can pull demo videos off of porn sites and download them to your PS3? Ah you probably did but it caught me by surprise. Lucky I bought the 160G ext hard drive (on sale for $29.99 at Best Buy) Imagine the free porn possibilities! EVERY site has clips on it! Ok so you guys have been doing this forever but remember I'm NO techno-geek by any means! In fact I'm using my PS3 to post right now. I wonder if I can use the clips as attachments...

OneSickPsycho
03-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Cool I'm sure that it will enhance your ride!

Hey,on another subject,our favorite one,did you know that you can pull demo videos off of porn sites and download them to your PS3? Ah you probably did but it caught me by surprise. Lucky I bought the 160G ext hard drive (on sale for $29.99 at Best Buy) Imagine the free porn possibilities! EVERY site has clips on it! Ok so you guys have been doing this forever but remember I'm NO techno-geek by any means! In fact I'm using my PS3 to post right now. I wonder if I can use the clips as attachments...

Clips? Use torrents and download the entire videos... How do you think I've accumulated over 400GB of porn...

Amber Lamps
03-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Clips? Use torrents and download the entire videos... How do you think I've accumulated over 400GB of porn...

don't you have to sign up as a member to see the entire video? Do you have a way to pull the video off the site without paying to be a member? Oh porn sensei,fill me with your wisdom so I too can go thru gallons lotion and cases of tissue a week! I too wish to have the arms of Popeye and the belly of Buda!:dthumb:

OneSickPsycho
03-06-2008, 09:21 PM
don't you have to sign up as a member to see the entire video? Do you have a way to pull the video off the site without paying to be a member? Oh porn sensei,fill me with your wisdom so I too can go thru gallons lotion and cases of tissue a week! I too wish to have the arms of Popeye and the belly of Buda!:dthumb:

Nope... Download the program from www.utorrent.com, then get my PM, then click on the link, find all the porn you want... Start downloading it and it will open uTorrent and you can select what parts of the file you want... then you just sit back and wait...

Mr Lefty
03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Nope... Download the program from www.utorrent.com, then get my PM, then click on the link, find all the porn you want... Start downloading it and it will open uTorrent and you can select what parts of the file you want... then you just sit back and wait...

still waiting on pm... :lol:

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Bought the Mio 320 tonight... It's sweet... I can't wait till I have to go somewhere now... :D

Mr Lefty
03-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Bought the Mio 320 tonight... It's sweet... I can't wait till I have to go somewhere now... :D

how you gonna mount it?

OneSickPsycho
03-09-2008, 04:05 AM
how you gonna mount it?

I dunno yet... It comes with a suction cup base, that would probably stick pretty well to my airbox cover... then again... that doesn't sound secure enough... I'll finagle something... maybe just let it ride in a tank bag...:idk:

Captain Morgan
03-09-2008, 05:28 AM
None, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas later.

Mr Lefty
03-09-2008, 05:41 AM
I dunno yet... It comes with a suction cup base, that would probably stick pretty well to my airbox cover... then again... that doesn't sound secure enough... I'll finagle something... maybe just let it ride in a tank bag...:idk:

dude... seriously check the ram mounts I linked above... the mount for PDA's should work

here... http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=RAM-PD2

Amber Lamps
03-09-2008, 08:36 AM

This might sound stupid but the windshield mount is in two pieces you could take the part that actually mounts to the unit and velcro it to your tach. Then the unit would be in plain sight and shielded from the sun,which was my biggest problem using the unit in a tankbag. Remember,even if this blocks your speedo,the unit displays mph so you'd be ok. Ofcourse,when your trip is over you can just peel the velcro away or you could always drop $60 or so and buy a mc mount..... I'm glad you like the unit btw!

OneSickPsycho
03-09-2008, 09:52 AM
This might sound stupid but the windshield mount is in two pieces you could take the part that actually mounts to the unit and velcro it to your tach. Then the unit would be in plain sight and shielded from the sun,which was my biggest problem using the unit in a tankbag. Remember,even if this blocks your speedo,the unit displays mph so you'd be ok. Ofcourse,when your trip is over you can just peel the velcro away or you could always drop $60 or so and buy a mc mount..... I'm glad you like the unit btw!

Sheilded from the sun? Yeah, not on my bike... no windyscreeny...

And Ebbs, those Ram Mounts are nice, but I think I can make something that will work just as well, if not better...

None, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas later.

Mio 320. Seriously, it's very basic, but has a lot of the features the higher dollar ones have... $200 beans ain't bad either... If you don't have a Radio Shack card you can get another 10% off when you open one...

Amber Lamps
03-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Sheilded from the sun? Yeah, not on my bike... no windyscreeny...

And Ebbs, those Ram Mounts are nice, but I think I can make something that will work just as well, if not better...

Mio 320. Seriously, it's very basic, but has a lot of the features the higher dollar ones have... $200 beans ain't bad either... If you don't have a Radio Shack card you can get another 10% off when you open one...

Plus they offer a replacement warranty....just in case you bounce it or it gets wet,etc..

Lamnidae
03-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Think i'm gonna pick up the Quest 2 for the bike

Have a SP 2610 in the truck and a Su...whatever... 530 in her car.

t-homo
03-16-2008, 11:36 PM
I really want to get one for my car at some point. Why don't you just use the same GPS and have mounts on both? Just for plugging in, because I'm sure you could rig up an auxilary to plug it into instead of hardwiring.

Lamnidae
03-16-2008, 11:48 PM
I really want to get one for my car at some point. Why don't you just use the same GPS and have mounts on both? Just for plugging in, because I'm sure you could rig up an auxilary to plug it into instead of hardwiring.

you can do that.

my $0.02 get something that's available for use on motorcycles and just get a beanbag/suction cup mount for your cager.

Saves ya $$$ in the longrun on hardware and software upgrades.

nyricanf15`
04-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 260 and it works great, but I only use it in the cage. I don't see me ever putting it on my bike.

fatburg
06-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I have the Nuvi 700 series, just took a weekend trip on the scoot and it worked great. I have a trickle charger connection hooked up to the battery, so I got an sae to cigar adapter to power the Nuvi mounted in my RAM mount. No vibrtion issues, had a ziplock baggie and some zipties in case it rained. However RAM now has a nice waterproof box for the Nuvi's that work with the touch screen.

I had no problem with using the touch screen with my gloves. A little issues with shading it, but because I had it hardwired, I could turn the back light up.

I have it mounted off my bars just below my speedo so I can still see my tach. It was great for unriden back roads and knowing when tight corners were approaching.

The 700 series is nice cause you can store several trips to it in memory.

t-homo
06-17-2008, 01:52 AM
One of my friends had a good idea of how to fasten a gps to your bike as long as the screen was good enough that the sun doesn't make it impossible to see. Get that new plastic velcro type stuff and put it on the front part of your tank and on the back of the gps, then leave a hole for where the mount fits into the back to easily change it to your car. He uses the stuff for his tank cam and has had is bike up to 140 with the tank cam on and it didn't move a bit. I think he said it pulled his camera off of the mount before the velcro came apart the first time.

VFR Rider
11-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Garmin Zumo 550. Use it for my GPS, MP3 player, bluetooth connection to my phone, and all wired into my Starcom comm system. It's an all in one device.

Dnyce
11-23-2008, 05:07 PM
what do you guys think of this one?AlpinePND-K3 Portable Navigation System. (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PND-K3)

t-homo
11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
what do you guys think of this one?AlpinePND-K3 Portable Navigation System. (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PND-K3)

Thanks. I was getting ready to start searching for this thread when I saw you posted in it and brought it up. Looks nice but pricey.

OSP, what are your thoughts on the mio after the trip west? have any pics of how it was mounted?

Dnyce
11-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks. I was getting ready to start searching for this thread when I saw you posted in it and brought it up. Looks nice but pricey.

OSP, what are your thoughts on the mio after the trip west? have any pics of how it was mounted?

i can get it for 250.

Rider
12-02-2008, 09:28 AM
After doing lots of research I finally bought one. I got a Magellan Maestro 4350. MSRP is $499, I picked one up on Black Friday for $199 with a free mount and a free carrying case.

OneTouch menu let's you create shortcuts to your favorite destinations and points of interest

4.3" color touch screen provides clear, crisp on-screen graphics

3D landmarks provide easy-to-spot visual cues

Announces street names and directions at each turn

Bluetooth® compatibility enables hands-free calling with enabled phones, see phone compatibility chart

Lane guidance for confident highway driving

Live Traffic capability provides you with real-time incident reports to the screen with alerts for slow downs, accidents, road closures, severe weather, and more. Should you come up on an incident, the Maestro 4350 will automatically prompt you to reroute when a quicker way is available.

Hear voice guidance through your car's FM stereo with the built-in FM transmitter function

http://www.magellangps.com/products/getProdImage.asp?PRODID=2093&ATTR=ProductImageLarge

Corey
12-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks to the help of everyone on this forum, I purchased my mother a Garmin Nuvi 650 that she'll be getting for Christmas. Luckily, it's on sale at yugster.com today for a fucking great price, so I got it for $150.

bigjoe87865
01-09-2009, 08:38 PM
well... I use my phone... ATT tilt... or HTC kaiser... and use TOMTOM 7 , GARMIN xx and google maps...

the mount I used is simple velcro.. had it for about 3-4 months... never fell off or anything... even at triple digit speeds....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/bigjoe87865/DSCN2422.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/bigjoe87865/DSCN2424.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/bigjoe87865/DSCN2425.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/bigjoe87865/DSCN2428.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/bigjoe87865/DSCN2426.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/bigjoe87865/DSCN2427.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/bigjoe87865/DSCN2429.jpg

OneSickPsycho
01-18-2009, 09:08 PM

Didn't use it. Didn't have a place to mount it, didn't mount it... No means to charge it... So it sucked ass on the trip.

Mr Lefty
01-18-2009, 09:13 PM
check out powerlet.com it's what I used to charge my phone and gps on the trip

OneSickPsycho
01-18-2009, 09:26 PM
check out powerlet.com it's what I used to charge my phone and gps on the trip

I have the shit to make my own... just didn't have time to do it.

Mr Lefty
01-18-2009, 09:29 PM
ahh ok...

marko138
01-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Didn't use it. Didn't have a place to mount it, didn't mount it... No means to charge it... So it sucked ass on the trip.

You shoulda bought a Uly...shit has a power plug built right in.

Trip
01-19-2009, 04:19 PM
You shoulda bought a Uly...shit has a power plug built right in.

yes, because a $10 addition to your bike is worth buying a buell. :lol:

Cutty72
01-19-2009, 04:22 PM
yes, because a $10 addition to your bike is worth buying a buell. :lol:

he already had a buell.

and yes... yes it is.

Trip
01-19-2009, 04:23 PM
he already had a buell.

and yes... yes it is.

yes and look what happened to it. :zowned:

Cutty72
01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
yes and look what happened to it. :zowned:

A dumbass tore it apart and didn't put it back together correctly?

Mr Lefty
01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
:lol:

Trip
01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
buell fanboys....they are the new apple fanboy equivalent

Cutty72
01-19-2009, 04:28 PM

You're just jealous.

Trip
01-19-2009, 04:34 PM
You're just jealous.

no, I am jealous of ducati and ktm motard owners, definitely not jealous of buells. I've made a loop on a buell before. Wasn't impressed.

Cutty72
01-19-2009, 04:34 PM
no, I am jealous of ducati and ktm motard owners, definitely not jealous of buells. I've made a loop on a buell before. Wasn't impressed.

Me loves my buell :D

Mr Lefty
01-19-2009, 04:40 PM

oh lord... now you're gonna have all of bad web over here:lol:

Trip
01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
oh lord... now you're gonna have all of bad web over here:lol:

:lol: I will just go hide the aleeve so they are in too much back pain to sit at desk long enough to come after me.

Cutty72
01-19-2009, 04:54 PM
:lol: I will just go hide the aleeve so they are in too much back pain to sit at desk long enough to come after me.

Back pain? the 1125 is the most comfortable sportbike i've ridden.

Trip
01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Back pain? the 1125 is the most comfortable sportbike i've ridden.

It's a joke about the age group normally associated with the buell.

Cutty72
01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Idk, seems most of the guys on badweb are late 20's early 30's :idk:
Mature sportbike riders i'd say.

Trip
01-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Idk, seems most of the guys on badweb are late 20's early 30's :idk:
Mature sportbike riders i'd say.

mature riders is correct, just a lot of the ones I know are a lot more mature.

Rangerscott
03-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I rock a Lowrance 500c

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/rangerscott/GPS006Small.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/rangerscott/GPS005Small.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/rangerscott/GPS002Small.jpg

Tsunami
05-11-2009, 05:04 PM
how much do maps cost?

Rangerscott
06-29-2009, 12:47 AM
how much do maps cost?

Who was that directed at?

jetskifast
07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Used to use Garmin Quest.
Since getting Palm Treo pro smart phone. Google has great maps, GPS to download for free. Google has directions and such, but if you want real gps with dash board speed ect. Purchase Tracky www.trackthisout.com for your smart phone, under $50 from online providers.

OneSickPsycho
07-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah, fuck buying a GPS... I never use mine and when I do it's fucked up half the time. I got Google Maps software on my phone and it's way better...

Rangerscott
07-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I have a HTC Touch Pro and it has google maps and can turn on gps. The only problem is the small screen so using it while riding is a "not gonna happen" thing.

I'm happy with my giant 500c. It can also be used as a big ass boulder to throw at thieves.

Trip
07-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I have Garmin Maps for my phone when I am in the cage. When I am on my bike I got an awesome deal on a waterproof Garmin Zumo 550 branded by BMW. It has bluetooth and MP3 capabilities so I can use it as an anchor point for my communication setup when I get it.

marko138
07-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Still rocking my Garmin Nuvi. Still love it when I need it.

Particle Man
10-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Magellan Maestro 3225

it's not the greatest GPS in the world but it serves me well and it pretty durable.

Amber Lamps
10-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I got a new phone a few days ago and must say that I am very happy with the built in GPS! It uses Telenav and so far it has been flawless. The only problem whatsoever is that it is slow to initially boot up but after that, very, very good. Oh and the fact that I can't get it to talk to me through a blue tooth headset... My phone has an almost 4'' screen so it pretty easy to see. Not bad for FREE!!! I was going to buy a new GPS but I think that between my old GPS and my phone, I should be alright!

Rangerscott
10-29-2009, 12:29 AM
I got a new phone a few days ago and must say that I am very happy with the built in GPS! It uses Telenav and so far it has been flawless. The only problem whatsoever is that it is slow to initially boot up but after that, very, very good. Oh and the fact that I can't get it to talk to me through a blue tooth headset... My phone has an almost 4'' screen so it pretty easy to see. Not bad for FREE!!! I was going to buy a new GPS but I think that between my old GPS and my phone, I should be alright!

My HTC touch pro has a program called "QuickGPS". What it does, is every 6 days you start it up and hit one button. It downloads satellite info and stores it for 6 days. Makes google maps find your position within seconds.

Particle Man
10-29-2009, 12:45 PM

I had the Telnav software on my Samsung blackjack (which required the bluetooth GPS receiver). It worked fairly well with the exception of out in Colorado where it was convinced that the highway I was on was supposed to be several hundred feet to my right (which was a field IIRC) and kept recalculating the route.

I'm hoping they fixed that :lol:

Thumper996
01-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Garmin Quest designed for motorcycles and i mount it with RAM mount.

Much better than the new fangled 3D GPS stuff out now. The Quest and Quest II shows the route just like it looks on a map from above.

Amber Lamps
02-24-2010, 02:53 AM
Garmin nuvi 855 and I mount with a ram mount.

racedoll
02-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Droid

Rangerscott
02-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Newegg.co has the garmin 205w for $99 and the 285w for $120.

Rangerscott
04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Ordered a garmin 885t and ram mount. I hope it works out.

Mr Lefty
04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
strongly considering a new GPS... mine works fine... but I cannot connect it to my computer... which is where I do all my routing... and if I plan a route on the unit itself... and it's got more than 10 way points... it "calculates" forever.

Rangerscott
04-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Well the garmin 885t seems to be good. I'll test the routing tomorrow. The mp3 player works nicely and I can enter in waypoints by selecting a spot on the map, address, or by coordinates.

z06boy
04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I just have the Garmin 205W that I use in the car and can throw it in my pocket or tankbag on the bike. I don't have a mount on the bike for it but would like to get one.

I also have whatever GPS came with my Blackberry Curve.

So far so good with these.

Captain Morgan
05-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I just have the Garmin 205W that I use in the car and can throw it in my pocket or tankbag on the bike. I don't have a mount on the bike for it but would like to get one.

I also have whatever GPS came with my Blackberry Curve.

So far so good with these.

Work will be issuing us the 205W. I plan on getting a mount for the V-strom for it. Too bad they won't get issued until late June/early July. Knowing the gov't, that translates to "sometime in December."

was92v
05-02-2010, 01:42 PM
m2

Cutty72
05-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Work will be issuing us the 205W. I plan on getting a mount for the V-strom for it. Too bad they won't get issued until late June/early July. Knowing the gov't, that translates to "sometime in December."

of 2012. :lol:

Full Throttle
06-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Im buying a TomTom Rider 1 from a friend. Anyone got it? is it good?

marko138
06-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Im buying a TomTom Rider 1 from a friend. Anyone got it? is it good?
You can get the Darth Vader voice.

caveman
06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
When I recently purchased my HD Ultra it had a Garmin Zumo 550. very nice but there is a little quirk with it; I can't seem to tell it the gas tank is full. I click on the gas pump icon, go to a gas station, fill up, and then click the reset fuel guage button. still just comes back up that I need to fill up. any ideas let me know. but other than that I really like it.

It also acts as an MP3 player, XM satalite radio(need to buy antenna and subscription) and has bluetooth capability to pipe into a Bluetooth ready headset or tuner.