PDA

View Full Version : Buell 1125CR

Phenix_Rider
11-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Went to the dealer yesterday, and the CR isn't as bad as the pics show. Looks almost identical to the 1125R except for the handlebar and dopey headlight. The headlight moves with the bars- unfortunately, that's the wrong way in a turn. The fairing on the R hides the size of the rad scoops- they're actually the same size or very close. Same instrument cluster, same engine- not detuned at all. Didn't get a chance to sit on it, since it was under a shelf and I had to climb over piles of chrome to see it, but the bars look to put the rider in the same position as the clipons. So it's not just another dumbed down naked. Can't say about the mirrors usefulness, but I'm sure there as horrible as any other bar mount I've seen.
http://www.buell.com/_media/images/bikes/street/1125cr/gallery/regular/wallpaper_1125CR_14.jpg
http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/167436-2/2009_Buell_1125CR_09_1125CR_C2.jpg

DLIT
11-09-2008, 09:55 AM
The front end on the regular one is fucking huge and it's good to see they got smart about it. But now the little one makes the intakes look gigantic.

Corey
11-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Those massive intakes just ruin the bike for me. If there were a way to remove or replace those with something more aesthetically balanced, I think I would love that bike. But with those monster goofy intakes, I just can't get into the bike. The proportions are just wrong to me, much like the 1125R.

Dave
11-09-2008, 10:32 AM
if you didnt even sit on it, much less ride it how is it a review? how would YOU know if the power was dumbed down or not? this space is for things you've actually used not conjecture about them

Corey
11-09-2008, 10:44 AM
if you didnt even sit on it, much less ride it how is it a review? how would YOU know if the power was dumbed down or not? this space is for things you've actually used not conjecture about them

Yes, I've sat on it, and the air intakes are still distracting, even from the drivers seat. I'm not bashing the brand, I happen to find the designs of the current Buells to be very strong, and the handling on the XB's to be excellent from the few test rides I've been able to take. I'm just pointing out a piece of the puzzle that stands out. Is the aesthetics of a bike not part of a review, especially when it comes time to purchase?

marko138
11-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Surprised you didn't tell us how your 650 was superior in every way to the CR.

Corey
11-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Surprised you didn't tell us how your 650 was superior in every way to the CR.

Well, there's the way it... hey, wait a minute. I never owned a 650. I'm confused now.

Dave
11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Yes, I've sat on it, and the air intakes are still distracting, even from the drivers seat. I'm not bashing the brand, I happen to find the designs of the current Buells to be very strong, and the handling on the XB's to be excellent from the few test rides I've been able to take. I'm just pointing out a piece of the puzzle that stands out. Is the aesthetics of a bike not part of a review, especially when it comes time to purchase?

i was talking to the op, not you. now go sit in the corner and think about what you have done

Phenix_Rider
11-09-2008, 06:04 PM
I got the brochure too :whistle: Same HP/torque numbers. And anyway- I didn't really say it was a review. The mods have enough to do with all the noobs.
Well, there's the way it... hey, wait a minute. I never owned a 650. I'm confused now.
Don't worry, so's he- he rides a Harley engine :screwy:

Dave
11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
eh its in the reviews section so i lept to conclusions

OneSickPsycho
11-09-2008, 10:09 PM
I think these things look absolutely SICK in person... almost as good as the XB Lightnings...

FT BSTRD
11-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Like many bikes, it's a take it or leave it design. It doesn't look like ANYTHING else out there. That appeals to some and doesn't appeal to others.

I think I remeber seeing an entire thread here blasting the new Ninja styling or something or other in that they had homoginized the line with something else and that they hated the looks of it. To tell you the truth, not being an IL4 guy, I can't tell the difference between an R1, a 10R, and a GSXR most of the time. There ain't much difference between the plastics from bike to bike or for bike layout. They are all basically the same like stock cars.

I probably wouldn't EVER buy one, at least for anything but a disposable track whore, for that very reason.

The engine is unchanged from the 1125R, but the final gearing is 11% lower to give as much bias toward hooliganistic behaviors as possible.

I have sat on it. I will test ride it next weekend.

There are those who will always be Buell people or Ducati people or RC51 people or TLR people, and then there are IL4 folks. There ain't a lot of cross over. I'm addicted to low end grunt rather than top end scream.

The CR, looks and all, is on my short list. I WILL have one. I've even got my SR71 paint scheme worked out.

Cutty72
11-13-2008, 05:26 AM
I'll stick to my R... I like wind protection. But I will ride one next year. :rockout:

Mr Lefty
11-13-2008, 06:06 AM
I think these things look absolutely SICK in person... almost as good as the XB Lightnings...
a replacement for the honda maybe?

101lifts2
11-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Wasn't the old one supposed to have great wind protection?

I guess they figured because of lackluster sales they decided to make it look more Japanese.

Mr Lefty
11-15-2008, 02:20 AM

I guess they figured because of lackluster sales they decided to make it look more Japanese.

the old one? you mean the 1125R? :idk: there's no way it doesn't have amazing wind protection.

I think the 1125CR was created just as they had the lightning and firebolts... ya know?

FT BSTRD
11-15-2008, 02:35 AM

Yep. Cause Honda is really knocking it out of the park these days.

OneSickPsycho
11-15-2008, 09:16 AM
a replacement for the honda maybe?

If you're buying.

Mr Lefty
11-15-2008, 09:28 AM
bro if I had the money to spare you'd have one sitting in your driveway

OneSickPsycho
11-15-2008, 09:51 AM
bro if I had the money to spare you'd have one sitting in your driveway

All black please.

Mr Lefty
11-15-2008, 09:56 AM
All black please.

you hook me up with the extra cash... and I'll even strap a dead hooker to the rear for ya

OneSickPsycho
11-15-2008, 10:15 AM
you hook me up with the extra cash... and I'll even strap a dead hooker to the rear for ya

I already have the hooker... now I just need the cash.

FT BSTRD
11-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I already have the hooker... now I just need the cash.

http://titebeat.com/images/slap.gif

Put the hooker to work and the cash will come.

OneSickPsycho
11-15-2008, 04:36 PM
http://titebeat.com/images/slap.gif

Put the hooker to work and the cash will come.

What's a dead hooker get these days anyway?

FT BSTRD
11-15-2008, 04:48 PM
What's a dead hooker get these days anyway?

Don't know. Depends on how close are you to the State Penn.

OneSickPsycho
11-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Don't know. Depends on how close are you to the State Penn.

I need cash, not Marlboros...

Dave
12-07-2008, 11:40 AM
i was kinda surprised to see on in fast bikes this month, this is what they had to say:

words by: alistair fagan

lets be honest, the 1125r is never going to cut it as a hardcore sportsbike. the rotax powered yank-mobile has some sweet manners, mainly the lump and the chassis itself, but is let down by suspension and the rim mounted disc. will binning the fairings, sticking on some mx bars and putting a c before the r produce the vinegar stroke? the cr is eric buell's vision of a contemporary cafe racer. it certainly gives our vision a better time, even though the big elephant ears for induction pods still boss the front end, along with the b-king style headlight. looks slightly badass, though. the cr comes with ace bars for that cafe racer attitude, similar to those found on an FS1E,but mx-style bars are available as an aftermarket option. they really should roll off the production line with the flat bars. buell claim rivals like the super duke and tuono - a bold statement - so it should be dubbed as a naked sportsbike. the clubman-style bars make it too similar to the 1125r and give a riding position similar to taht of taking a dump and holding a snooker pool cue out with your arms stretched. the mx bars lend a whole different attitude to the cr, giving it more leverage, better ergonomics and generally better control. the cr retains the grunty rotax lump, but with shorter gearing to liven things up. we were flat out on the autobahn and the clocks read 155 mph, so its aint too short. the fuelling has also had some tinkering, and the result is a smoother delivery, and no more glitches. the throttle responce from closed is still shady though. handling is enhanced through the flat bars, due to the balance and different weight transfer they offer. suspension is still very harsh on the road. but it laps up the smoother stuff. the chassis itself is correct, and it steers beautifully, especially with the extra leverage. but standard steup lacks bump management although mechanical grip is decent when settled. it's midcorner where the 1125cr lacks talent, especially in the tighter stuff. at decent pace, holding a line is tricky and there isint enough weight on the front to induce confidence. ground clearance is poor too. corner entry has improved though, thanks to the option of a race spec brake pad. there's less lever travel, more braking power and no brake judder from pad residue left on the disc. the 1125cr will get annihilated by a super duke, but its going to be an interesting 2009 naked twins test with the addition of the new buell. its cheap compared to its rivals, wicked fun, stunts like a trooper and, although flawed in some aspects, it's a new viable option to a european v-twin, once you get over the unique looks and other buell idiosyncrasies.

verdict:

+ engine, fuelling, chassis, brakes
- ground clearance, throttle response
7/10

track 4, fast road 3, hooligan 4, new rider 3, desirability 2

fnfalman
12-08-2008, 03:13 PM
The 1125CR may not set the world on fire, but it's definitely a positive step forward. I just test rode one at the Cycle World motorcycle show in Long Beach. The demo ride was pathetic because it was conducted at grandma's pace. If this is Buell's idea of wowing the public, then it's a big FAIL!!! I barely got out of 2nd gear and went to 3rd just to see how the engine performs at very low RPM.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Brakes = suck! Sorry, but you can take your ZTL and shove it up where the sun don't shine. For god's sake, put a decent set of brakes on it already, Erik!!! Not enough feel and not too great for modulation. And the slack before the engagement is annoying as hell.

2. Lovely engine. Rough and very characterful, makes all sorts of mechanical ticking which I like but the Brit mags don't. Very torque and pulls cleanly. More oomph than the Aprilia liter V-twin for sure but then it does have a bigger engine. Revs quickly. Quicker than the tach needle shows, that's for sure.

3. OK chassis and suspension, I suppose, since that we barely even got over 60-MPH.

4. Red paint job is :rockwoot:

5. Need MX handlebar for proper hooliganism instead of that crouched over Clubman handlebar.

6. Heat was not an issue at all even though the frame was warm.

7. How the heck do you get in and change the preload on that rear shock?:panic:

8. Pretty comfortable rearset position. No complains there.

9. Seems to be better made than the XB series.

In conclusion, assuming that reliability is decent, I'd recommend a buy.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/IMS%202008/MotorcycleShow2008020.jpg

marko138
12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Those bikes are bad ass. Might be my next rig.

Cutty72
12-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Rear shock preload is changed by removing the seat.

FT BSTRD
12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
The stock pads suck. ZTL2 with Lyndall's or EBC HH's and I think you'd at least be able to tolerate them.

marko138
12-08-2008, 04:28 PM
The stock pads suck. ZTL2 with Lyndall's or EBC HH's and I think you'd at least be able to tolerate them.
Thats the truth. The stock pads are pretty bad. I'm running Lyndall gold + right now. They feel pretty good.

Cutty72
12-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Thats the truth. The stock pads are pretty bad. I'm running Lyndall gold + right now. They feel pretty good.

I didn't think the brakes were that bad. :idk:

Mr Lefty
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM

thats cause you have no corners to slow down for.

t-homo
12-08-2008, 08:23 PM

I don't think ebbs liked ND very much.

Mr Lefty
12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't think ebbs liked ND very much.

dude that state SUCKS... seriously... especially where he is... the western half has some rolling hills... but the eastern is flat as fuck. it drives me insane anytime I'm there...

I gotta give Cutty and Comonboys props though... no way in hell I'd own a bike there (if for some god forsaken reason I lived there) it'd be such a complete waste for me... it'd be like having a hot ass wife who loves to fuck but you only get to see her once or twice a year.

OneSickPsycho
12-08-2008, 10:30 PM

I had those too... made a big difference...

Cutty72
12-14-2008, 05:29 PM

Truth, but i was refering to my track day.

And thanks... I love my bike, even with the lack of corners around here.

Homeslice
12-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Air intakes look like a chicken's folded wings.

Tmall
12-15-2008, 05:32 PM

The ZTL sucks compared to a conventional brake. It's bonus is weight reduction.

I'm far from impressed with it's stopping power. But, I'll settle because it turns in so well.

Cutty72
12-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Air intakes look like a chicken's folded wings.

:panic: seems no one actually knows what the pods purpose is...

They are NOT air intakes. The ram air duct is centered between the forks and goes up through the airbox (which is where the gas tank is on a Jap bike) and it is ineffective at speeds under 80 mph. Mine is never effective, as I removed my inner airbox cover, so it will never pressurize at any speed.

The pods have 2 purposes.
1. direct air over the parallel mounted radiators (one on each side)
2. Act as frame sliders. They will take the hit when the bike drops, saving the frame. and they are cheap to replace at ~$55/each.

here is a pic of what is under the pod.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Cutty72/1125R/pod.jpg

marko138
12-16-2008, 09:42 AM
The ZTL sucks compared to a conventional brake. It's bonus is weight reduction.

I'm far from impressed with it's stopping power. But, I'll settle because it turns in so well.

Do you still have stock pads on? Switch them out to something a little better and I bet your complaints go away. I'm currently running Lyndall Gold pads. They are nice...but not up to track duty from what I hear.

They are NOT air intakes. The ram air duct is centered between the forks and goes up through the airbox (which is where the gas tank is on a Jap bike) and it is ineffective at speeds under 80 mph. Mine is never effective, as I removed my inner airbox cover, so it will never pressurize at any speed.

2. Act as frame sliders. They will take the hit when the bike drops, saving the frame. and they are cheap to replace at ~$55/each.

:ty: People don't know whats under them b/c they just wanna talk shit about its looks and not actually find out any hard facts on the bike....or Buell in general.

Cutty72
12-16-2008, 06:40 PM
:ty: People don't know whats under them b/c they just wanna talk shit about its looks and not actually find out any hard facts on the bike....or Buell in general.

No prob, it pisses me off too.

As for the pads, I'll switch when these are shot, not sure what too yet, we'll see. Something that can handle track duty as well though.

Phenix_Rider
12-16-2008, 09:45 PM
That would be sexy without the freaking overflow bottle. Seeing the open rads would be hot, but the cooling capability would probably suck then.

DLIT
12-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Buell 1125: We finally got the engine performance, when the fuck will we get the looks down?

DLIT
12-17-2008, 05:43 AM

Acts as frame sliders. Hahahahaha. As if that's why they put them there. Hahahahaha.

Cutty72
12-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Buell 1125: We finally got the engine performance, when the fuck will we get the looks down?

:idk: I like the looks. keeps fags like you off 'em so not every squid on the street is riding one.

Acts as frame sliders. Hahahahaha. As if that's why they put them there. Hahahahaha.

Was that their original design? Probably not. BUT, Erik was smart enough to see, hey, we need these pods on there, might as well make them dual purpose. makes sense to me.

That would be sexy without the freaking overflow bottle. Seeing the open rads would be hot, but the cooling capability would probably suck then.

Left side doesn't have the overflow bottle. but you have to have it somewhere.

And with out them, the rad's are exposed and vulnerable :idk:

DLIT
12-17-2008, 05:13 PM
It seems more like the designer(s) forgot to think about that stuff when they were designing it and were like "Fuck it,we'll just put two HUGE intake-looking things on each side."

Trip
12-17-2008, 05:24 PM
It looks like fatburg was allowed to design the sides of the bike and he decided they needed grills.

DLIT
12-17-2008, 05:45 PM
He called me a squid. hahahahaha.

Cutty72
12-17-2008, 05:49 PM
It seems more like the designer(s) forgot to think about that stuff when they were designing it and were like "Fuck it,we'll just put two HUGE intake-looking things on each side."

Suppose that is worse than the streetlight size turn signals, the huge hole in the front fairing, and the erector set mudflap on the R6. :idk:

It's all a personal preferance. You buy what you like. I like a functional motorcycle. The 1125R is functional straight out of the box. Nothing needed to add (except an exhaust just cause it's too quiet)
It's got all the power I need, it's comfortable, it catches people's eye, and it's flat fun to ride. That's all I want, so I bought it.

You have dreams of being Rossi, so you got a new R6.

Cutty72
12-17-2008, 05:50 PM
He called me a squid. hahahahaha.

Didn't call you a squid. Just said that because it doesn't look like every other replica racer bike out there, all the squids won't be flocking toward it.

DLIT
12-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Suppose that is worse than the streetlight size turn signals, the huge hole in the front fairing, and the erector set mudflap on the R6. :idk:

Yes, yes it worse than my blinkers, the rear fender and the huge hole in my front fairing to let air come screaming in. You ever seen a GP bike? And I may have a huge hole in my upper, but your upper itself is HUUUGE.

Cutty72
12-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Yes, yes it worse than my blinkers, the rear fender and the huge hole in my front fairing to let air come screaming in. You ever seen a GP bike? And I may have a huge hole in my upper, but your upper itself is HUUUGE.

Yup, and it makes the ride great flying down the highway.

Tmall
12-17-2008, 05:59 PM

And again, it's huge for a reason. It's extremely quiet and next to no wind was hitting me. It was designed that way to flow the air around you.

DLIT
Nothing against you, Cutty. I just think the bike is ugly as fuck. And you think mine is whack. So we're even.

Mr Lefty
And again, it's huge for a reason. It's extremely quiet and next to no wind was hitting me. It was designed that way to flow the air around you.

and the semi behind you :lol:

DLIT
12-17-2008, 06:01 PM

I'm sure it was designed that way for that reason, but looks were out of the picture when they were designing it. I actually waited until I saw one in person before I started attacking the looks. They don't look any better in person.

Ha, sick burn.

Tmall
12-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm not denying that any Buell is an acquired taste. I think my XB is hideous from straight on and beautiful from the side and rear.

DLIT
12-17-2008, 06:11 PM
The XB is a decent looking bike. It's proportional in all areas, while the 1125 is far from it. I usually sit and stare at a bike from all angles and then cast my opinion. I'm OCD like that. For example, I'm waiting to see the new R1 in person.

Mr Lefty
12-17-2008, 06:12 PM
The XB is a decent looking bike. It's proportional in all areas, while the 1125 is far from it. I usually sit and stare at a bike from all angles and then cast my opinion. I'm OCD like that. For example, I'm waiting to see the new R1 in person.

it's worse.... much worse IMO

DLIT
12-17-2008, 06:17 PM
it's worse.... much worse IMO

That's what I'm fearing. It'll be hard to get past the front end. Not that I plan on buying a R1 ever, but Yamaha usually puts out a solid looking bike.

Trip
12-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Unfortunately they must of hired some kawasaki designers, because the new R1 is hideous. It use to be the best looking 1000 too. I think the gixxer may be the best looking now and that's really sad.

Mr Lefty
12-17-2008, 06:24 PM
That's what I'm fearing. It'll be hard to get past the front end. Not that I plan on buying a R1 ever, but Yamaha usually puts out a solid looking bike.

yeah they fucked up this time though... even from the side... the bike looks like crap...

the front actually looks decent in track clothes from the pic I saw of Spies' 09 WSBK bike...

Cutty72
12-17-2008, 07:16 PM

Ain't that the truth.

I just saw the 09 CBR600RR in the Green. Actually really sharp looking. If I were looking for a new 600, that would be it.

Mr Lefty
12-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Ain't that the truth.

I just saw the 09 CBR600RR in the Green. Actually really sharp looking. If I were looking for a new 600, that would be it.

fuck the green. needs to be orange.

Cutty72
12-17-2008, 07:52 PM
fuck the green. needs to be orange.

Have you seen the green in person? It actually looks really good.

Mr Lefty
12-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Have you seen the green in person? It actually looks really good.

no... I'm in Korea.

Homeslice
12-17-2008, 09:21 PM

Get a grip, I already knew they were for the side radiators. The only reason I called them "air intakes" was because I couldn't think of another name.

Dnyce
12-18-2008, 01:42 AM
the ztl brake looks sweet, but id like to see a dif style wheel attached to it, and one on each side. the all cf 1125r, and the tracked out one were tolerable to look at-barely-but the firebolt still owns all in buell's stable history to date.

the cr reminds me of a transformer-the light is the head, the pods are the shoulders...

Phenix_Rider
12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
TWO ZTL rotors?! :panic:

marko138
12-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Insanity.

Cutty72
12-18-2008, 05:03 PM

That would totaly defeat the purpose while giving unbelievable stopping power and braking area!

marko138
12-19-2008, 08:51 AM
That would totaly defeat the purpose while giving unbelievable stopping power and braking area!
Yep.

Dnyce
12-19-2008, 09:15 AM
i know, but it would look sweet. and one finger braking...

or great brakes without the need to upgrade pads, like many of u mentioned...

FT BSTRD
12-19-2008, 11:31 AM
i know, but it would look sweet. and one finger braking...

or great brakes without the need to upgrade pads, like many of u mentioned...

Pad upgrades are no big deal. They are a consumable. The stock brake pads suck. You are only providing what comes on other bikes stock with an upgrade.

Then what you get are brakes that function as well as two rotor designs plus the 8lbs per wheel of unsprung weight savings.

Dnyce
12-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Pad upgrades are no big deal. They are a consumable. The stock brake pads suck. You are only providing what comes on other bikes stock with an upgrade.

Then what you get are brakes that function as well as two rotor designs plus the 8lbs per wheel of unsprung weight savings.

it appeared by the posts that the stock brakes sucked compared to stock standard 2rotors-i understand they are a consumable, but if u immediatly need to change the pads because they suck, then u arent consuming the first set. which sucks. but thats just the way i read it, coulda misinterpreted it. it happens.
dont think its 8lbs..maybe more like 4-5, that caliper looks waaaay bigger than the 1st version. when the 1st version first came out i think they claimed 6 or 7lbs dif

it seems most of the weight is saved from the rim, so couldnt u possibly have two ztl rotors, and two smaller calipers and come out with slightly better brakes with out changing the weight much if any?

Cutty72
12-20-2008, 08:14 PM
it appeared by the posts that the stock brakes sucked compared to stock standard 2rotors-i understand they are a consumable, but if u immediatly need to change the pads because they suck, then u arent consuming the first set. which sucks. but thats just the way i read it, coulda misinterpreted it. it happens.
dont think its 8lbs..maybe more like 4-5, that caliper looks waaaay bigger than the 1st version. when the 1st version first came out i think they claimed 6 or 7lbs dif

it seems most of the weight is saved from the rim, so couldnt u possibly have two ztl rotors, and two smaller calipers and come out with slightly better brakes with out changing the weight much if any?

Stock brakes are fine for street riding. Bit lacking for race purpose.
The weight savings is from one less rotor, one less caliper, and all the fasteners involved for said items.

Dnyce
12-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Stock brakes are fine for street riding. Bit lacking for race purpose.
The weight savings is from one less rotor, one less caliper, and all the fasteners involved for said items.

and the wheel.

the guys complaining arent racers as far as i know :idk:
doesnt matter, id never get a 1125. dont hurt to analyze innovation tho

marko138
12-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Wheel is correct. Just look how thin the spokes are...the braking forces aren't being transfered to the hub with the ZTL.

The stock pads...and I dont know about the 1125...as I've had limited riding time on them...but on the Firebolt they are too soft. They leave deposits on the rotors that make it feel warped. The Lyndall Gold's took care of all of that. They have great feel and great power.

Buell wheel:
http://www.buellxb.com/shop/images/uploads/Buell_villain_black_wheels.jpg

http://www.ifmracing.com/ruffryder/Pics/Craigslist/DSC06709.JPG

Cutty72
12-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Wheel is correct. Just look how thin the spokes are...the braking forces aren't being transfered to the hub with the ZTL.

The stock pads...and I dont know about the 1125...as I've had limited riding time on them...but on the Firebolt they are too soft. They leave deposits on the rotors that make it feel warped. The Lyndall Gold's took care of all of that. They have great feel and great power.

:idk: how soft they are. Still well over 50% with over 7K on 'em.
The "deposits" can be taken care of with some aggressive braking too :whistle:

Dnyce
12-21-2008, 03:45 PM
and the 1125 has the second gen ztl system-bigger caliper, four pads-probably work better than the firebolt stock vs stock

its a retrofit to the other models i think too....

FT BSTRD
12-21-2008, 03:50 PM
The weight savings is 6.6lbs per Buell's documents. In addition, Buell spec'd special tires that also had approximately 1-1.5 lbs less overall weight (this is part of the reason that the tires were changed in later years from the stock Dunlops that tended to stand up in cornering).

The Diablo T were supposed to be lighter than the stock Diablo tires. I know they spec'd the D616 to specific weight characteristics.

For most folks who ride "normally", the stock brakes are fine. Those who ride more "spiritedly" would want upgraded brake pads. They are $50. It ain't like it's a big expense. Remember, there is only ONE set.

Because the rotor is mounted directly to the rim, there is no need to have thicker spokes in order to transfer the braking force from the hub to the rim.

The system works and works very well. Changing the brake pad composition improves initial bite and overall feel.

There has never been a situation street or track where I lacked for braking. You'd be hard pressed to out brake me with a conventional system.

The new ZTL2 system with four pot caliper has the same surface area and braking force as a twin four pot system.

It's different, and that scares people.

marko138
12-21-2008, 11:00 PM
:idk: how soft they are. Still well over 50% with over 7K on 'em.
The "deposits" can be taken care of with some aggressive braking too :whistle:
Maybe the stockers are different on the 1125's. Mine where damn near shot when I bought the bike with 5300 miles on it.

FT BSTRD
12-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Maybe the stockers are different on the 1125's. Mine where damn near shot when I bought the bike with 5300 miles on it.

Yep. Mine were blasted at 4500 miles with really bad deposits on the rotors.

They replaced the rotors under warranty and I immediately got Lyndall's Golds.

They stop like stink, give much better feedback, and last much longer.

I don't know who sources the stockers, but they suck. I think they provide the wrong impression for testers. I would recommend that all test bikes be fitted with Lyndall's or EBC HH pads.

marko138
12-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Yep. Mine were blasted at 4500 miles with really bad deposits on the rotors.

They replaced the rotors under warranty and I immediately got Lyndall's Golds.

They stop like stink, give much better feedback, and last much longer.

I don't know who sources the stockers, but they suck. I think they provide the wrong impression for testers. I would recommend that all test bikes be fitted with Lyndall's or EBC HH pads.
You ride track at all? If so, do you keep the Lyndalls on for track duty? I've read, on badweb I believe, that the Lyndalls are the greatest for track duty.

I was thinking about getting a set of EBC's for the track.

FT BSTRD
12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
You ride track at all? If so, do you keep the Lyndalls on for track duty? I've read, on badweb I believe, that the Lyndalls are the greatest for track duty.

I was thinking about getting a set of EBC's for the track.

I've ridden with both the Lyndall's and the EBC's. I prefer the Lyndall's for street. They have a much more linear feel. They provide a much more flexible initial bite. If you put on the brakes a little, you get a little. If you grab a handfull, you get a strong initial bite.

The EBC's provide much less linear feel. They have an initial bite that is strong like new rope. You can overpower your tire traction with the brake force if you grabbed a handfull in a panic. This is great for track use because you can delay your brake point longer and then put the binders on hard.

For the street, though, I prefer the linear feel. I don't switch out for track days. I've only ridden one track so far that really needed it, and that was Nashville Super Speedway. Coming off the front straight, I wouldn't have minded a little additional brake force. Otherwise, I'm working to keep the entry speed as high as possible. Otherwise, I'm taking bird strikes in the rear from 600's and 1000's.

marko138
12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Hmm...maybe I'll give the Lyndalls a try at the track once. I dont want to throw the EBC's on there and be used to the characteristics of the Lyndalls and get surprised.

Cutty72
12-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Good to know. Not sure what to pick up when these do go to hell.

I know Buell does offer a "race pad" for the 1125, but I've heard they suck on the street cause they don't heat up fast and have NO feel when cold.

FT BSTRD
12-23-2008, 02:05 AM
Good to know. Not sure what to pick up when these do go to hell.

I know Buell does offer a "race pad" for the 1125, but I've heard they suck on the street cause they don't heat up fast and have NO feel when cold.

EBCs are that way as well. It takes a couple of really good heat cycles for them to feel "right". That's also part of the reason I like the Lyndall's.

dReWpY
12-23-2008, 01:12 PM
For the street, though, I prefer the linear feel. I don't switch out for track days. I've only ridden one track so far that really needed it, and that was Nashville Super Speedway. Coming off the front straight, I wouldn't have minded a little additional brake force. Otherwise, I'm working to keep the entry speed as high as possible. Otherwise, I'm taking bird strikes in the rear from 600's and 1000's.

:whistle:

FT BSTRD
12-23-2008, 06:56 PM
:whistle:

Big words coming from someone who got passed at NSS by someone with 35% less HP. :whistle:

marko138
12-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Big words coming from someone who got passed at NSS by someone with 35% less HP. :whistle:
Rut row.

FT BSTRD
12-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Rut row.

In his defense, it only happened once.

marko138
12-26-2008, 11:57 AM
In his defense, it only happened once.
Thats all it takes. :lol:

TrackRider54
01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Don't dismiss Buells in the handling department. I've tracked my Ulysses and passed many a hard core, full bore, race replica sportbike.

Now, when the track goes straight, you need to get the hell out of the way because that pissed off guy on the Gixxer you just passed is going to show you what a "real" bike is like. LOL! :)

My track bike is a Gixxer 600, and I got abused by a couple of Buells my last track day. I swear, those bikes handle like they are stuck to the track.

As for the brakes.....you guys slow down???? Why? :)

FT BSTRD
01-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Thats all it takes. :lol:

Tee hee hee! :D

Now what REALLY sucks is that I couldn't pass Barker on his 9R. I was carrying a 60lb weight disadvantage and more aerodynamic drag, but I should STILL have been able to pass him on the straight.

Sucked.

marko138
01-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Tee hee hee! :D

Now what REALLY sucks is that I couldn't pass Barker on his 9R. I was carrying a 60lb weight disadvantage and more aerodynamic drag, but I should STILL have been able to pass him on the straight.

Sucked.
No kidding...you couldn't get past the 9 on the straight? Impressive 9r.

FT BSTRD
01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
No kidding...you couldn't get past the 9 on the straight? Impressive 9r.

There's not that much difference in peak HP.

Mr Lefty
01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
no kidding...you couldn't get past the 9 on the straight? Impressive 9r.

there's not that much difference in peak hp.

zx9r?

FT BSTRD
01-08-2009, 09:03 PM
zx9r?

XB9R

HP for 12: 103
Torque for 12: 84

HP for 9: 92
Torque for 9: 70

I don't know what the weight/hp impact is, but I'd bet that you'd lose more than 11 HP with a 60 lb difference in combined rider and bike weight.

Add to that the impact of aerodynamic drag of my galloot ass compared to his and I'm not surprised.

Mr Lefty
01-08-2009, 09:13 PM
oh ok... I was like... you expected to pass a ZX9R on the STRAIGHTS? :lol:

Cutty72
01-08-2009, 09:14 PM
oh ok... I was like... you expected to pass a ZX9R on the STRAIGHTS? :lol:

:lol: stock xb12 can have issues passing a ZX6R in the straight... much less a 9

Mr Lefty
01-08-2009, 09:35 PM
that's why I was like :wtf:

marko138
01-09-2009, 08:26 AM
zx9r?

FUCK YOU. This is a thread about BUELLS motherfucker. Of course we mean the XB9R. :rockout: The only 9R worth riding.

Tmall
01-09-2009, 08:37 AM
:lol: stock xb12 can have issues passing a ZX6R in the straight... much less a 9

Issues? How about if he's not carrying a lot more corner speed, then it's not going to happen. :whistle:

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 08:45 AM
FUCK YOU. This is a thread about BUELLS motherfucker. Of course we mean the XB9R. :rockout: The only 9R worth riding.

blah I've always been told the 9's are not worth buy'n when the 12's aren't much more:idk:

thought it was one of you guys actually

marko138
01-09-2009, 08:50 AM
blah I've always been told the 9's are not worth buy'n when the 12's aren't much more:idk:

The 9's have their benefits. They rev quicker than the 12's, higher redline, etc. But I prefer the massive torque off idle of the 12.

FT BSTRD
01-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Not true. They are VERY different motorcycles with characteristics that are unique to each.

Both have the same bore with different strokes. The short stroke of the 9 makes it spin up more like a 600. The torque curve is more like a 600. It's also smoother because of the shorter stroke.

I have ridden both and really like both. I had to get used to riding one after coming off the 12. XB12 riders ride the torque curve rather than the HP curve like an IL4. The torque on the 12 comes on at idle and stays pretty consistent through out the RPM range. If you try to ride a 9 like that, it'll be more like a 600.

One of the best mods for the 9 is to get larger bore cylinders with the shorter stroke. You get more peak HP and keep the nice characteristics of the 9.

marko138
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I've also ridden both, back to back. I loved the 12. Fell in love with that bad boy. 3 years later...I bought one. :lol:

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
ahh ok... well then who the fuck told me that... :wtf:

FT BSTRD
01-09-2009, 09:35 AM
ahh ok... well then who the fuck told me that... :wtf:

OSP probably. Then again, he's a little unstable. :D

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
:lol:

TrackRider54
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I've enjoyed this thread.

One of the things I've noticed on just about every forum I'm on (including Buell specific ones) is how polarizing Buell design and engineering is.

I've always been a big "function over form" guy. I don't care what it looks like. Give me a bike that's bright pink with deer antlers for handle bars and as long as it's somewhat comfortable, goes like hell, handles like it's on rails, and is reliable....then I'm a happy guy. I'm not into butt jewelry. I don't ride to show off. I ride for enjoyment. When I'm out riding, I can't see the bike anyway. :)

Cutty72
03-04-2009, 05:29 PM

One of the things I've noticed on just about every forum I'm on (including Buell specific ones) is how polarizing Buell design and engineering is.

I've always been a big "function over form" guy. I don't care what it looks like. Give me a bike that's bright pink with deer antlers for handle bars and as long as it's somewhat comfortable, goes like hell, handles like it's on rails, and is reliable....then I'm a happy guy. I'm not into butt jewelry. I don't ride to show off. I ride for enjoyment. When I'm out riding, I can't see the bike anyway. :)

truth

FT BSTRD
03-13-2009, 01:22 AM

I want a bike that works, but I also want a bike that ignites the soul. If you don't have the urge to look back at your bike as you are walking away, I don't want it.

Phenix_Rider
03-13-2009, 06:32 AM
I want a bike that works, but I also want a bike that ignites the soul. If you don't have the urge to look back at your bike as you are walking away, I don't want it.

My thoughts exactly on the new ZX6R. I see "high chairs" and 12 o'clock bars every time I see the tank. Not an image I care to be associated with. If there were a low-buck, bolt on alternative tank (or the pods on the 1125R) it would sell better. Maybe an earlier tank would drop onto the '09 zixxer?