PDA

View Full Version : Victory Kingpin

Cruzergirl
11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I've been looking at the 2009 Kingpin-Low. Victory has only been around 10 years but they are proving to be reliable.

It's either that or a Yamaha Roadliner, or maybe a Harley Davidson Streetglide.

Thoughts on the Kingpin???

itgirl
11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
that's hawt!! do it! and it's different. not your usual harley (even though i ride a harley :D).

Ninjakel
11-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Do it. I like the looks of the Victory's.

I think they have one called the Vegas. One of my friends demo'ed it. She wants one now.

Ducati Diva
11-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Sweet! I like the lines. :rockout:

Dave
11-10-2008, 07:12 PM
just dont get a vision :barf:

Cruzergirl
11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
LOL... I think the vision is kinda goofy too.

My only worry about the Kingpin Low (not to be confused with the other Kingpin which doesn't have 2" pullbacks on the handlebars, doesn't have 25.2" seat height and doesn't have the foot controls pulled back 2.25") is resale. Of course, if I keep it 'till it falls apart that won't be an issue, right??? :D

Yeah, I likey a lot! :drool:

ETA: My SO is a Harley Davidson guy. No. Really. No other bike SHOULD exist. Crazy really. I'm going to enjoy rolling the Victory into the garage.

Particle Man
11-10-2008, 07:47 PM
looks pretty good...

Phenix_Rider
11-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Of any cruiser- except maybe a Triumph (that parallel twin is too freaking cool), Vic's look the best.

In the Dec. issue of Motorcyclist, they tested a Victory Kingpin 8-ball against an HD Cross Bones. Guess which won?

The Victory, with a more comfortable seat and bars, better suspension, better frame, better brakes, better handling, more torque, more horsepower, and a $3k lower price tag.

Or the HD, with over sprung, underdamped suspension, a tractor seat, pain in the ass ergoes, barely adequate brakes, and a shifty dead fish frame.

The Hardley of course, because it's ancient history "oozes coolness." :?::wtf: They been smokin' strong stuff. (all the descriptions are nearly direct quotes- I'm lazy)

Cruzergirl
11-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, my SO's bike "oozes coolness". LOL Every time I ride it something falls off. No. Really. First it was the Dipstick (not me, the thing that measures the oil :D ). The next ride it was some oil cooler cover or whatnot. Then, the best thing EVER, wait for it...

The clutch linkage came off. Yup. Couldn't shift AT ALL. That was a bit scary. So every time we ride now our friends all carry parts (rubber bands, tie wraps, hair ties, etc... )

I actually like the look of the Harley, the short wheelbase, etc. But it's more fun to make fun of 'em in front of my SO... LOL!

Back to topic... this is the first bike I sat on that I truly fell for...

... and I don't even like blue... :D

Gas Man
11-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Victory makes a nice bike. I have rode a few of them. The 100 CI is a nice motor.

However, if you are considering a Streetglide. you MUST check out the 2009 models. They did sweet mods to them this coming year. A new detachable sub frame, 180 rear tire, fender to bag fillers, bottom of rear fender marking light, ect... My bud just got one... nice bike. Further, you simply can't beat Harley dealerships and their frequency if ever on the road.

Dave
11-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Of any cruiser- except maybe a Triumph (that parallel twin is too freaking cool), Vic's look the best.

In the Dec. issue of Motorcyclist, they tested a Victory Kingpin 8-ball against an HD Cross Bones. Guess which won?

The Victory, with a more comfortable seat and bars, better suspension, better frame, better brakes, better handling, more torque, more horsepower, and a $3k lower price tag.

Or the HD, with over sprung, underdamped suspension, a tractor seat, pain in the ass ergoes, barely adequate brakes, and a shifty dead fish frame.

The Hardley of course, because it's ancient history "oozes coolness." :?::wtf: They been smokin' strong stuff. (all the descriptions are nearly direct quotes- I'm lazy)

triumph america is a sexy bitch. id love one for touring

Dnyce
11-11-2008, 02:49 AM
Yeah, my SO's bike "oozes coolness". LOL Every time I ride it something falls off. No. Really. First it was the Dipstick (not me, the thing that measures the oil :D ). The next ride it was some oil cooler cover or whatnot. Then, the best thing EVER, wait for it...

The clutch linkage came off. Yup. Couldn't shift AT ALL. That was a bit scary. So every time we ride now our friends all carry parts (rubber bands, tie wraps, hair ties, etc... )

Further, you simply can't beat Harley dealerships and their frequency if ever on the road.

hmmm :whistle:

not a hater, but that was too easy :lol:

Curb
11-11-2008, 07:06 AM
I say do it. I actually work for Triumph dealership that also owns a Victory dealership. Victory has made some great strides in their short existance the biggest one is teaming up with Arlen Ness. I've ridden almost all the bikes except the Hammer and they are friggen sweet. Plus like its been said they are reliable. I haven't met one Victory owner who has said that their bike has been in the shop for anything other than routine maintence.

triumph america is a sexy bitch. id love one for touringThe America is nice, the Speedmaster is nicer and the Rocket is King. I have the Rocket III Touring in my garage right now and its a sweet bike. 2.3 liter 3 cylinder...shit hauls, I think I hit like 110mph and I had more to go, oh yeah it weighs 788lbs not bad for tourer...stay on topic, just adding a side note

nhgunnut
11-11-2008, 07:32 AM
My wife and I each have a Victory. I have a 01, V92c aqnd the wife has 03 TC. My 01 has been punched to 101 with cams increased compression and hopped fuel delivery with 2 into 1 drag pipes and is as reliable as a tank. My wifes has the Freedom Big Bore Kit stage 1 pipes and a chip.
Both bikes are comfortable powerful and with great brakes. (Brembos). For a cruiser I can recomend them whole heartedly.
Should you get one and want to tweak it a bit, let me recomemnd Lloydz Motorworks in Pinebush NY Built both motors for us. One thing you should be aware that the 100 ci forward have very low compression (J&E makes a nice 10.5 to 1 and 12 to 1 kits). You will not go wrong with a Victory and if we dod not already have a set of Goldwings we would probably haveVisions.
As little as I like Push rod engines the only other Cruiser I would consider is the Star, good looking machines.

Cruzergirl
11-11-2008, 02:52 PM
the only other Cruiser I would consider is the Star, good looking machines.

V-star 1100 Silverado was my first bike. Sold it to pay off some bills and got debt free. :rockwoot:
I loved that bike ,had HK staggered straight pipes, stage 1 kit, oil filter mod, K&N air cleaner, Ulitmate seat (can't say enough good stuff about that seat), plus a few other little items that made it so sweet. It was bittersweet getting rid of it. For what its worth, it could take on a VTX 1300 without breaking a sweat (so to speak). It went from reliable little grandma bike to "HOLD ON TIGHT" LOL I miss it.

The more I look at Victory the more I like them. I need something versatile as it will be a daily driver and my transport for a solo trip to Sand Point Idaho and back next summer (I hope). With all the options for saddlebags and trunk it doesn't look like I could do much better anywhere else.

I can be "out the door" including the buttf**k costs, for about $18,500.

marko138
11-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Aside from the massively huge fenders it's a good looking bike.

Rider
11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't like those big ass fenders....... Or the color.

Cruzergirl
11-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Those big ass fenders are a big part of the reason that I LIKE the bike. :D

fnfalman
11-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I'd say check out the Triumph Rocket Three first. That's one hauling ass mutha. Then check out the Harley-Davidson V-Rod family.

But if you were to really want the geezer cruiser, then yes, the Victory is the better choice. Decent power and well sorted (for a cruiser) suspension. Isn't as floaty in the corners as a typical Hardly Ableson or a rice burner.

Cruzergirl
11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
I'd say check out the Triumph Rocket Three first. That's one hauling ass mutha. Then check out the Harley-Davidson V-Rod family.

But if you were to really want the geezer cruiser, then yes, the Victory is the better choice. Decent power and well sorted (for a cruiser) suspension. Isn't as floaty in the corners as a typical Hardly Ableson or a rice burner.

:lol: Triumph Rocket Three :lol: That is a bit much for me (5'3", 120lbs) although I did sit on one I would not want to own one.

V-Rod? Yup, that's a sweet bike alright. My goal is to be just as comfortable riding to Idaho as I would be going to bike night or work in the morning.

If I wanted a geezer bike I would go with a Venture, Gold Wing, Ultra Classic or maybe a Victory Vision.

My dream bike? BMW R1200 GS But that may be 'slightly' out of my reach. :shrug:

fnfalman
11-22-2008, 04:00 AM
If you're only 5ft3 then you really need to take those bikes out for a ride because most of these bikes may be low to the ground but their forward footpegs are way the hell out front. I'm 5ft6 and I'm not comfortable riding with most of these cruisers because my feet couldn't reach the controls and I have to do some sort of shrimp contortion and that puts my weight all on the small of the back. Hardly a riding position that is geared towards long hauls.

BTW, cruisers are automatically geezer bikes.:whistle:

JoshuaTree
11-22-2008, 04:39 AM
... My dream bike? BMW R1200 GS But that may be 'slightly' out of my reach. :shrug:

Unless most of your 5'3" height is leg, you'll probably find the R12GS to be a tad bit too tall. :idk: I have known riders of your 'stature' to handle R1100GS and R1150GS with low seats and lowered shocks, but they get "useless" as an adventure tourer that way. The new F800GS does have a low seat/suspension option that keeps most of the suspension travel in tact. You'll simply have to see if

Go ahead, drink the cool-aid that is BMW Motorrad. You'll like it (or so I've heard :whistle:)... :rockwoot:

Oh yeah, I'd definitely add my 'vote' for the Victory - I know the owner of the local dealership here in Austin. The bikes have proven to be very mechanically reliable. I do have a soft spot for the Triumph America and Speedmaster, and you can equip them for touring duty if you choose to.

Cruzergirl
11-22-2008, 08:47 AM
If you're only 5ft3 then you really need to take those bikes out for a ride because most of these bikes may be low to the ground but their forward footpegs are way the hell out front. I'm 5ft6 and I'm not comfortable riding with most of these cruisers because my feet couldn't reach the controls and I have to do some sort of shrimp contortion and that puts my weight all on the small of the back. Hardly a riding position that is geared towards long hauls.

BTW, cruisers are automatically geezer bikes.:whistle:

:lol: :dthumb: It is all clear to me now. ;)

What I've ridden:
Yamaha V-star 1100 (my only complaint [after mods] is the handlbars were too much of a reach for me.
Harley Screaming Eagle Fat Boy w/Corbin Seat (Corbin SUCKS :) ). That bike had power to spare and definitely the wow factor. Horrible for long trips over 1000 miles.
Harley Street Glide was the cadilac of motorcycles IMHO...
Yamaha VMax now that was a kick in the pants. I can't wait to try the new one. Wouldn't want to take that on a long trip either though.
Harley Heritage Deluxe. Most comfy bike to date. Incredibly sluggish. I couldn't get out of my own way.

For the most part all of these bikes were easy on the reach regarding the foot controls. The one bike I had trouble with was the Harley Custom Chopper. I felt like the letter V. Hard to stop a bike when you can't reach the rear brakes (actually, kinda saves on rear brake replacement costs... :lol: )

The BMW I chose because the SO used to have a PD model R1100 (I think). It was the ugliest most comfy bike (as a passenger) and handled great on the varied Alaska roads. Of course, my SO was 6'3".

I've put a lot of thought into this and I keep coming back to the Victory line. Since I won't be buying for a few months I get to keep looking just to make sure. For instance, I am really intrigued by the Ducati ST3...

fnfalman
11-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Unless most of your 5'3" height is leg, you'll probably find the R12GS to be a tad bit too tall. :idk: I have known riders of your 'stature' to handle R1100GS and R1150GS with low seats and lowered shocks, but they get "useless" as an adventure tourer that way. The new F800GS does have a low seat/suspension option that keeps most of the suspension travel in tact. You'll simply have to see if

Not only the R1200GS is tallish but it is also top heavy. Very hard to balance when you're short statured. The KTM Adventure however is aother story. Here's a bike that is properly designed for its mission. Like I said before, I'm 5ft6 with a measured inseam of 26" - I wear 29" inseam pants, but I have zero problem riding the KTM Adventure even though it's taller. It's all due to the proper engineering of the chassis. The bike's center of balance is low instead of high, the chassis is narrow (thanks to the V-twin engine) so that my legs go straight down instead of to the sides like on the Beemer.

I love my BMW but KTM makes adventure bikes. Everybody else make pretenders.

Anyway, the ST3 is a pretty sweet sport tourer albeit slightly high. But hey, if you can balance it on one foot, you're good to go. That's a much better bike than a silly ass cruiser.

And yes, I'm highly opinionated when it comes to cruisers. I'll never be old enough to own one. I made the mistake of owning a Harley when I was 25. Never again.

Cruzergirl
11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
... silly ass cruiser.....

:moon::bonk: I love them silly ass cruisers! :spank:

Racerboy
11-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I like it....if I was in the market for a cruiser, that would make the list!

Cruzergirl
11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I like it....if I was in the market for a cruiser, that would make the list!

That's what my "salesperson" said! :lol: His only bike is an R6 ... :lol: