PDA

View Full Version : SV on its way to touring/commuter mode

SteveP
11-13-2008, 01:25 AM
I've been commuting on my SV for the last 3 years and finally started to make some modifications to improve the ride.

First on the agenda.

Givi A760 windscreen.

Pros - takes the wind off your chest on the interstate. I don't feel like I'm doing a constant pull up anymore.

Cons - a little bit of wind buffeting and extra noise. I wear ear plugs anyway so it's a non-issue for me.

The goods out weigh the bads.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/HotRodedXXX/IMG_0546.jpg

My next mod is on order and I am anxiously waiting for its arrival! I have a SW Mototech detachable rack with a set of Givi E21 hard bags in route. The rack is coming in from Germany so I have to wait about 2 months :td: Hopefully these will add the MUCH needed storage for my daily commute. I've been using a set of Givi soft bags for the last 2 years. While they are good bags, I am ready for something more! I'll post up a few pics when they get in and are installed. :rockwoot:

Cutty72
11-13-2008, 04:37 AM
V twin FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Lefty
11-13-2008, 06:33 AM
well I'm definatly not a fan of the looks... but hey more power to ya! intresting make'n it into a tourer... you gonna look into lower fairings? something to take the wind off your legs :idk:

unknownroad
11-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Huh, so that's what one of those looks like when it's clean! :idk:

The E21s are a great choice. I've got over 30k on my SV as a commuter/tourer and have driven it across the country, and no other mod has given me nearly as much utility for the money. Plus, they make a great cooler :dthumb:

Mr Lefty
11-13-2008, 04:05 PM
what do you guys get for range and milage when go'n cross country on those?

speedylocksmith
11-13-2008, 04:24 PM
no windscreen on long distances would suck. On a side note............that weather sucks!! South Florida FTW!

Mr Lefty
11-13-2008, 04:32 PM
no windscreen on long distances would suck. On a side note............that weather sucks!! South Florida FTW!
Blah... bad weather ADDS to the experience of a road trip...

what fun would it be to have nothing but 70 and clear the whole way! come on... LIVE A LITTLE! gives ya stories to tell the little ones!

unknownroad
11-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I got fookin' CREAMED on mileage on that trip... all those bags, windscreen, my fat ass, and right around 100lb of junk for a 2-week trip, running 80+ most of the time... I ended up getting around 35mpg, barely 120 miles before reserve. Put a major crimp in my average miles per day. Day-to-day commuting with just the windscreen, E21s, and fat ass, I get about 45.

I plan on replacing the screen... got that one used on the cheap, needed it on short notice and short money, but it's a poor fit.

As far as the weather... that sucked bigtime, it was somewhere in the mountains east of Tucson in the middle of February. My local weather (and roads) are a lot more like FL.

Mr Lefty
11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
I got fookin' CREAMED on mileage on that trip... all those bags, windscreen, my fat ass, and right around 100lb of junk for a 2-week trip, running 80+ most of the time... I ended up getting around 35mpg, barely 120 miles before reserve. Put a major crimp in my average miles per day. Day-to-day commuting with just the windscreen, E21s, and fat ass, I get about 45.

I plan on replacing the screen... got that one used on the cheap, needed it on short notice and short money, but it's a poor fit.

As far as the weather... that sucked bigtime, it was somewhere in the mountains east of Tucson in the middle of February. My local weather (and roads) are a lot more like FL.

I hear ya... my trip from ND to FL I was doing 80+ on the freeway and KILLED my average MPG...

i rode through Ike... got fuck'n SOAKED... but I was fuck'n laughing the whole time in my helmet... well... cept for when I passed other cars and was blinded for about 15 seconds... :panic:

unknownroad
11-13-2008, 04:51 PM
While we're talking about touring SVs and crappy weather... side view!

("While you're in LA you should ride the Angeles Crest Highway", he says :lol)

anthonyk
11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Nice! I really miss the hard bags I had on a previous bike.

Man, 35mpg is my usual commute mileage. I was getting almost 50 running 80mph across Texas last summer.

Particle Man
11-13-2008, 09:13 PM
very nice :D:D:D

gahdzila
11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Nice. I've also got the SW Motech setup with e21 side bags. The e21's are not huge, but they're quite durable, are top-opening (a HUGE plus), and a GREAT value for the price, IMO. SW Motech racks are well worth the price premium over givi mounts IF you plan to keep the bags/racks off of the bike at least some of the time. I bought the Motech's with the idea that I would leave them off most of the time...but I find the bags so useful in everyday riding, I ended up just leaving them on all the time.

SteveP
12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
So I got huge box from Twisted Throttle today. Sweet!

My racks, locks, and bags came in right when the said they would. I'm really happy with the customer service from Twisted Throttle.

So the install for the racks was interesting because the directions were all in German. Other then the taillights fitting a bit weird, the install went off without a hitch. Took about 3 hours total. That was taking my time and enjoying some German lager.

I'm really happy with the fit and finish of the racks, they look like they will hold up nicely against the elements.

Blah, blah,blah.... pics

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/HotRodedXXX/IMG_0678.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/HotRodedXXX/IMG_0679.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/HotRodedXXX/IMG_0681.jpg

rogue
12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Nice. I've also got the SW Motech setup with e21 side bags. The e21's are not huge, but they're quite durable, are top-opening (a HUGE plus), and a GREAT value for the price, IMO. SW Motech racks are well worth the price premium over givi mounts IF you plan to keep the bags/racks off of the bike at least some of the time. I bought the Motech's with the idea that I would leave them off most of the time...but I find the bags so useful in everyday riding, I ended up just leaving them on all the time.

Bah! It's because you're lazy! redflip

Steve, cool set up! :dthumb:

unknownroad
12-13-2008, 10:57 AM
And it's still CLEAN! Gah! :panic:

Looks like the SW Moto racks are a step up from the Givi tube racks... at least they give you a reasonable place to put your turn signals.