PDA

View Full Version : Weatherproof connectors

TommyHotWheel
11-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Anyone have any tips how to make good re-useable weatherproof connectors? I am looking to upgrade the wiring on my TL and I want to run a good connector instead of cutting and soldering everytime I change out something, like lights. I have a kit of Caspers Weatherpack in mind, the kind used on most OEM cars and trucks, but am open to ideas. Thanks.

Mr Lefty
11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
a friend of mine had some that he got at AIH (Alaska Industrial Hardware) wished I'd seen what they were called... cool little things though... basicly you strip the wire... strip it... plug it in and it grabs the wire and secures it tight. do the same for the other end... you had to really YANK on the wire to get it out... but you could use the connector over and over again... 100% waterproof too... I'll see if I can find a pic when I get home... don't think I have one... but maybe I can get ahold of him.

Trip
11-17-2008, 07:33 PM
you can get some at pepboys. Totally buildable where you can buy each individual piece, if you know how to crimp the connections that is. It's costly, but anything weatherproof is going to be costly.

HRCNICK11
11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Any good connector and some dielectric grease. I used to use a lot of dielectric grease on my RC51, it solved a ton of electrical gremlins in that bike.

TommyHotWheel
11-17-2008, 07:47 PM
you can get some at pepboys. Totally buildable where you can buy each individual piece, if you know how to crimp the connections that is. It's costly, but anything weatherproof is going to be costly.

I found a few 240+ piece kits for around $80 that I could do my entire bike with. I dont really want to slather a bunch of grease on my bike, it seems like a band-aid to me. Ebbs, if you find what they are post up...I'll check them out. Thanks guys.

Gas Man
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Try calling WirePlus in Florida. They do allot of stuff like this. They may eb able to have a harness or at least point you in a decent direction.

Further, you can always take any decent plug and shrink wrap the connections. I have done this on my bike and many many other big dogs. Added security for waterproofing.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Shrink%20Wrap/Wires019.jpg

azoomm
11-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Weatherproof, you mean like... Can handle a bit of water like product? You know, my best luck in that department has been in a West Marine or similar boat shop.

HRCNICK11
11-17-2008, 10:08 PM
For the record you don't need much grease its kind of like a coat of wax on a car. It displaces the moisture so it does not want to be in the plug.

Also under normal conditions water is not a problem to electronics with out some thing like salt or sugar in the water. The water can aid in the corrosion process and tat will cause problems.

Also how is shrink wrap water proof?

The water will get into most plugs and thats why they make dielectric grease. You don't slather it on you put a small dab in the contact area.

Mr Lefty
11-17-2008, 10:35 PM
For the record you don't need much grease its kind of like a coat of wax on a car. It displaces the moisture so it does not want to be in the plug.

Also under normal conditions water is not a problem to electronics with out some thing like salt or sugar in the water. The water can aid in the corrosion process and tat will cause problems.

Also how is shrink wrap water proof?

The water will get into most plugs and thats why they make dielectric grease. You don't slather it on you put a small dab in the contact area.

as long as your using the correct size for the guage wire your using it should seal around the wire... just as water proof as the shielding on the wire itself.

TommyHotWheel
11-17-2008, 11:42 PM
The weatherpack is a rebuildable, re-useable and temperature resistant plug. Moira, the boat place I checked has the connectors I am looking at, but I really didnt think of that...shame on me, thank you for the help. The area that I am in is surrounded by salt water, so my electrical connections are succeptible to the salt air. I want a connection that I can plug and unplug so I can replace or work on parts often if needed. I was hoping to get away from the bullet connectors and shrink wrap and go with a little more professional...finished look. I should have posted more in the first post, but I am at work, so I dont have much time. Thanks everyone.

Gas Man
11-17-2008, 11:58 PM
as long as your using the correct size for the guage wire your using it should seal around the wire... just as water proof as the shielding on the wire itself.
Exactly... and yes... di-electric grease like this?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Shrink%20Wrap/Wires006.jpg

JoshuaTree
11-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Dielectric grease will definitely help. If you're just having 'issues' with wire/terminal crimp corrosion, try using shrink tubing on the wire-side of the connector, but pre-fill the tube with the dielectric grease prior to shrinking it (marine wiring trick). As for the connectors themselves, cheap one, two, and three pin connector sets are available at any auto parts store.

YMMV... :)

Mr Lefty
11-18-2008, 02:42 AM
these are cool too http://www.onlineelec.com/brands/bulgin/bulgin_waterproof_connectors.htm

but not what I was talking about earlier. can't find a pic... damn it.

azoomm
11-18-2008, 08:52 AM
The weatherpack is a rebuildable, re-useable and temperature resistant plug. Moira, the boat place I checked has the connectors I am looking at, but I really didnt think of that...shame on me, thank you for the help.

I am married to a sailor that rides motorcycles... without him I don't know that I would think of it either :lol:

ceo012384
11-18-2008, 12:48 PM
edit: nevermind

OTB
11-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Touratech (touratech.com) makes "panzerized" fused blocks and connectors for use on Beemers (part # 044-045) that are pricy but will hold up forever. Their stuff is about as rugged and weatherproof as anything you will find......

Rider
11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
If you are going the heat shrink route, there is some available that has an adhesive on the inside of the tube giving greater water resistance than the non adhesive shrink tubing.