PDA

View Full Version : Carpet, the non-munchable kind.

Bcb871810
11-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Anybody have any tricks or tips to make carpet smell better? I just Febreezed the fuck outta it but I don't think it's going to work all that great.

Idears?

neebelung
11-18-2008, 04:27 PM
What made it smell bad to begin with? Animal urine, smoke, etc...?

Trip
11-18-2008, 04:29 PM
steam cleaning?

Mr Lefty
11-18-2008, 04:29 PM
there's that powder you sprinkle down and vacume up.... but all that shit just covers a sent...

I'd say steam clean... or replace if it's really bad.

jgalt
11-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Quit inviting Sean over! :piss:

smileyman
11-18-2008, 04:44 PM
9 times of 10 it is the pad that is molded or harboring unwanted scents, no way to remove it at that point, but like the munchable variety, you could take it off and leave it bare!:drool:

Ducati Diva
11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Agree with SM on the probable problem but you could try sprinkling baking powder on the rug, let it stay on it for at least an hour, then vacuum. It may help.

shmike
11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Quit inviting Sean over! :piss:

Last time I was over there, I happened to take a little extra sniff as I walked in the front door.

Candace turned glaringly: "Did you just smell our house!?" in her most offended tone.

Place stinks.

Not my fault.

True story.

:scared:

bmblebee
11-19-2008, 07:59 AM
There are enzyme products available that will solve the problem. If your carpet is jute-backed the odors are trapped in the material.

PM me and I will give you specific details on how to solve the problem.

Rider
11-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Replace it.

Dave
11-19-2008, 08:11 AM
steam cleaner rocks

Leon
11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Why don't you get the management company to replace it?

R6Chick
11-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Visibly the carpet is good.

It was steam cleaned when we moved in (Late September).

There was a slight smell of smoke upon move in that was covered up by the most orange cleaner one person can buy at one time (done by apt management). Dog/Cat hair has been found in the apt, from last tenant based on unforwarded mail.

The smell, it doesn't smell like smoke or animal, just dingy, like the place hasn't been ventilated in months. After leaving windows open on several occasions, the smell stays. I have tolerated the smell, but I also have a cold.

Sean helped us move in, I blame him.

jgalt
11-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Visibly the carpet is good.

It was steam cleaned when we moved in (Late September).

There was a slight smell of smoke upon move in that was covered up by the most orange cleaner one person can buy at one time (done by apt management). Dog/Cat hair has been found in the apt, from last tenant based on unforwarded mail.

The smell, it doesn't smell like smoke or animal, just dingy, like the place hasn't been ventilated in months. After leaving windows open on several occasions, the smell stays. I have tolerated the smell, but I also have a cold.

Sean helped us move in, I blame him.

Have you had sinus issues since you moved in to that place? I would start taking a look at the vents and such just to make sure it wasn't a mold issue!

R6Chick
11-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Have you had sinus issues since you moved in to that place? I would start taking a look at the vents and such just to make sure it wasn't a mold issue!

Definately not a mold issue. I had problems with that in college and had a sinus infection every 3 weeks. Plus with Ben's allergies, we've been living there 2 months without any health issues. Just common colds.

I think it's just from previous tenents, and since we don't smoke or have a doggie (yet, bwahaha!), I think we're a little more sensitive to any smells.

OTB
11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Check the refrigerator drippan under the front of the refer....these can get quite full and usually both water and dripping food gets into them and they stay quite warm so lots of stuff grows in 'em.....and if they overflow, they can leak nastiness everywhere.

Oftimes the only way to get rid a a dank smell from deteriorated padding is to yank it up and get rid of it.