View Full Version : Mystery meat has Framingham all abuzz

Librarian
11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
WTF????

Video link (http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1185143625/bctid2827495001)

FRAMINGHAM - The evidence: a 5-pound shoulder cut, a scrap cut, covered in gristle, a 10-pound roast, and a slice of liver.

The crime scene: the town green.

For five weeks, butcher-quality cuts of red meat - it appears to be beef - have been appearing regularly beneath a tree in the historic Town Centre Common, and the caper has perplexed just about everybody in town. Police and town health officials are investigating. Residents are bewildered, even worried.

"I hear the meat might be poisonous," said Taryn Fusco, who has spied the meat on recent walks through the park with her Shih Tzu-Yorkie-mix. "I feel unsafe bringing my dog to the park."

Authorities have inspected the meat and sent samples to the state public health lab in Boston to determine whether it's been tampered with. They are pursuing every lead they can find, though those have been in short supply.

"It's our mission to get to the bottom of why these pieces of meat are being left," said Lieutenant Paul Shastany of the Framingham Police Department. "Why? Who? And what is it? What kind of meat?"

The mystery began in early October, when dog walkers began finding slabs of raw meat, seemingly carefully arranged at the base of a large evergreen.

"I was just walking in the park with my dog, and I just saw a variety of meats and bones over near the tree," Fusco said. She said she guessed that the meat might have been thrown out after a function at the nearby Village Hall.

"But then it kept appearing week after week," she said. "You know when people make turkeys on Thanksgiving and you take the giblets out? That's what it looked like. And then it was more meaty and steak-looking, with bones, and it kept getting more meaty. It was gross."

Chris Walsh, an architect who works in an office near the green, spotted a 5-pound shoulder cut several weeks ago. The following week, he saw a "less appetizing" cut of gristly scrap meat, he said. Then it was a slice of liver and a "very good-looking" roast.

"It's not just like a hamburger-patty size," he said, underscoring his amazement. "This is like a shoulder of beef."

He called the town Board of Health, which sent officials to investigate.

So far, the evidence they recovered has not yielded much in the way of breakthroughs.

"The meat is large, it's raw, it weighs upward of 5 to 10 pounds," said Ethan Mascoop, town public health director. Unable to determine the origin of the meat, Mascoop called the police and shipped several cuts to the state lab.

"We want to make sure it's nothing nefarious, and we're taking all precautions and all actions, including testing and monitoring," Mascoop said. "But there's no evidence - absolutely, absolutely nothing - to suggest something untoward is going on." Still, rumors and theories are swirling in Framingham.

"I'll bet it's probably venison; there's a lot of guys out there hunting now," said James W. Egan, the town building director, who has spoken to Walsh about the meat and inspected a photo Walsh took of several of the cuts. "It looked like a nice piece of lean meat, so I'd like to smoke it in the smoker. I'll bet it would be good."

Dave Shulman, who was walking in the park yesterday, said the meat "could be seen as a gift" to the animals.

Walsh said he believed the meat might be at the crux of some sort of misunderstanding.

"It doesn't really seem like anybody's doing it to be vindictive," he said. "It's too regular. It's too much in the same spot. It's strange that way."

Julian Suso, the town manager, urged patience.

"We're teaming up to get to the bottom of things," he said. "But it could take a little time."

MikeSP1
11-21-2008, 01:54 PM
set up a camera, that simple. when someone/something drops off the meat, you all the evidence you need.

jgalt
11-21-2008, 02:34 PM
set up a camera, that simple. when someone/something drops off the meat, you all the evidence you need.

You need to mind yer own damn biznass city slicker! We gots our own way of doing thangs around here!

BobTheBiker
11-21-2008, 02:45 PM
thats just STRANGE to me. who in the hell wastes good meat like that?

KSGregman
11-21-2008, 02:46 PM
thats just STRANGE to me. who in the hell wastes good meat like that?

I'm surprised the Brazilians didn't make off with it as soon as it hit the ground. :idk:

pickle.of.doom
11-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Best quote in the whole thing: "The meat is large, it's raw, it weighs upward of 5 to 10 pounds," :lol:

jgalt
11-21-2008, 02:55 PM
No, the best quote was "...And then it was more meaty and steak-looking, with bones, and it kept getting more meaty. It was gross." :phat:

Biscuit
11-21-2008, 06:49 PM
hahaha awesome. that's so random.

Particle Man
11-22-2008, 01:08 PM
they're just looking to "meat" the person leaving it...

askmrjesus
11-22-2008, 03:20 PM
they're just looking to "meat" the person leaving it...

Well you certainly butchered THAT joke...

JC

cuttle
11-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Well you certainly butchered THAT joke...

JC

are you trying to roast Ptclman?

Mr Lefty
11-22-2008, 07:47 PM
anyone else imediatly think of someone ditch'n a body that way? :lol:

OneSickPsycho
11-22-2008, 10:06 PM
How can you have your pudding if you haven't eaten your meat?

marko138
11-22-2008, 10:30 PM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/markgraves138/9145705.gif

Particle Man
11-23-2008, 09:29 AM
are you trying to roast Ptclman?

it was just a joke on the SIDE...

cuttle
11-23-2008, 09:51 AM
it was just a joke on the SIDE...

let's CUT BACK to the topic... I don't understand what the BEEF is all about?

askmrjesus
11-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Those folks need to be very careful.

There's a lot at steak here.

JC

cuttle
11-23-2008, 10:11 AM

JC

on that grounds are you saying this?

LuvDog
11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
WTF... that's random and weird even for Framingham.

Librarian
11-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Massjuices gets even weirder as winter sets in......

Mystery piano in woods perplexes police (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/23/massachusetts.piano/index.html)

(CNN) -- Was it a theft? A prank? A roundabout effort to bring some holiday cheer to the police? Authorities in Harwich, Massachusetts, are probing the mysterious appearance of a piano, in good working condition, in the middle of the woods.
A police officer examines an oddly placed piano in the woods of Harwich, Massachusetts.

Discovered by a woman who was walking a trail, the Baldwin Acrosonic piano, model number 987, is intact -- and, apparently, in tune.

Sgt. Adam Hutton of the Harwich Police Department said information has been broadcast to all the other police departments in the Cape Cod area in hopes of drumming up a clue, however minor it may be.

But so far, the investigation is flat.

Also of note: Near the mystery piano -- serial number 733746 -- was a bench, positioned as though someone was about to play.

The piano was at the end of a dirt road, near a walking path to a footbridge in the middle of conservation land near the Cape.

It took a handful of police to move the piano into a vehicle to transport it to storage, so it would appear that putting it into the woods took more than one person.

Asked whether Harwich police will be holding a holiday party in the storage bay -- tickling the ivories, pouring eggnog -- while they await word of the piano's origin and fate, Hutton laughed. No such plans.

Harwich police have had some fun, though. Among the photos they sent to the news media is one of Officer Derek Dutra examining the piano in the woods. The police entitled the photo "Liberace."

Particle Man
11-25-2008, 01:50 PM

JC

all it needs is a SALT with a deadly weapon...

askmrjesus
11-25-2008, 02:01 PM
all it needs is a salt with a deadly weapon...

Boooooo!

JC

Particle Man
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Boooooo!

JC

:rockout: