PDA

View Full Version : Back Protector Talk

t-homo
11-23-2008, 07:27 PM
From personal experience, which back protector do you think the best. With Christmas coming up, I figured I would try to get my parents to get me one. Probably limited to about 200 bucks.

OneSickPsycho
11-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Drewpy and I have the Technic one that Iron Pony has had on closeout for two years... It's nice and dirt fucking cheap.

t-homo
11-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Doesn't look like they have it anymore. All they are showing for Teknic gear is armor to put in a jacket or suit.

Mr Lefty
11-23-2008, 07:45 PM
definatly go with one that you attach to your body over one you slip in a jacket...

I have an A* one in my jacket... it's really thick and imoblizing... but it has to be incase it moves around... where as if you have one strapped to you it's more likely to stay in place so it can be less restricting and offer better protection.

t-homo
11-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Definitely looking at one that straps to your back. So far I am looking mostly at the Knox ones. The ricochet 9 plate race model. Looking mostly because I am going to try to make it to the track in the spring.

DIMford
11-23-2008, 07:54 PM
I wear my A* bionic on the track and on the street.

Phenix_Rider
11-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I have a Velocity Gear that I got for $75. It has shoulder straps, and a pivot to allow better side to side movement. I like it a lot better than the A* Tech. The A* made me feel like Quasimodo because it stuck into the collar of my jacket and scrunched all up any time I moved. The Velocity Gear is also CE level 2 certified.

NONE_too_SOFT
11-23-2008, 08:58 PM
dont wear one. never hurt my back in an accident.

Your neck is much more likely to be damaged as a result of an impact than your back, even with a back protector you can still be paralyzed throughout your cervical region of your spine.

PhiSig1071
11-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I wear an A-Stars Bionic Vest, it's a combination back and chest protector that's built into a mesh vest that zips on. I love it, and it works great. Sportbike Track Time and NESBA both talked about making chest protectors mandatory for Int and Adv, and I think STT did it. I did a NESBA day earlier this year and they recommended back and chest protectors, I did an STT day about a year and a half ago and they had a fatality about a week before that would have been prevented with a chest protector. You can pick them up for about $150 anywhere. I seem to remember Azoom having the women's specific Alpinestars Bionic gear too.

NtS, um, yeah, just because I can be injured in the neck doesn't mean I shouldn't protect my back too.

JARVIS518
11-23-2008, 09:09 PM
doesnt hurt to wear one though and have the extra sense of security

shmike
11-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Definitely looking at one that straps to your back. So far I am looking mostly at the Knox ones. The ricochet 9 plate race model. Looking mostly because I am going to try to make it to the track in the spring.

Knox is the tits.

I use the Contour model when racing. I got it from my friends at www.racinglinez.com

Megan is incredibly knowledgeable about all of their products and how they stack up against others.

Tell her I sent you and she'll help you out.

If she instantly doubles the price, I apologize. :sorry:

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-67067184189715_2029_414743

NONE_too_SOFT
11-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I wear an A-Stars Bionic Vest, it's a combination back and chest protector that's built into a mesh vest that zips on. I love it, and it works great. Sportbike Track Time and NESBA both talked about making chest protectors mandatory for Int and Adv, and I think STT did it. I did a NESBA day earlier this year and they recommended back and chest protectors, I did an STT day about a year and a half ago and they had a fatality about a week before that would have been prevented with a chest protector. You can pick them up for about $150 anywhere. I seem to remember Azoom having the women's specific Alpinestars Bionic gear too.

NtS, um, yeah, just because I can be injured in the neck doesn't mean I shouldn't protect my back too.

whoa im not saying dont get one. I've been in some wrecks and have never scathed my back, but i'll still buy one for the track. as far as street riding go I think most of em do as much harm as they do good. Lots of them constrict movement, which if you ride a lot on the interstate and need to look back is mucho importante.

PhiSig1071
11-23-2008, 09:19 PM
whoa im not saying dont get one. I've been in some wrecks and have never scathed my back, but i'll still buy one for the track. as far as street riding go I think most of em do as much harm as they do good. Lots of them constrict movement, which if you ride a lot on the interstate and need to look back is mucho importante.

I'll agree to that, I only wear mine if I'm on the track, or doing a hard ride. Normal day to day stuff I don't wear it.

shmike
11-23-2008, 09:21 PM

If it is restricting movement then something (probably fit) is not right.

That said, I went with the shorter version of the Contuor than pictured above to not have to sit on it if used for street riding. I've not once used it on the street and regret not going with the full race model.

When getting fit for gear (suits, helmets, BP's) IMO, it is well worth dealing with someone that knows about the product and how it is intended to work rather than your typical dealership or cycle gear employee.

YMMV.

Dnyce
11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
anyone wear the full bionic? i was lookin at the 1 with the chest and back, just trying to find a gd deal, but never considered the one with the sleeves too. seems like it would be too much....

Mrs. Colleen
11-23-2008, 09:23 PM
http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1934

About $125. :dthumb:

FT BSTRD
11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Studies are showing that more letal injuries occur as a result of blunt force trauma to the chest than originally thought. I would be looking at a chest and back protector combined.

Bohn has some REALLY good stuff and offer discounts for combination chest and back protectors:

http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=KC40%2FKC40CP

http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/prodimages/eurorrback.jpghttp://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/prodimages/eurorrchest.jpg

Knox has some really good protectors as well.

I wear a Dianese BAP1 protector. I like it but I have a short torso, so I'm always having to pull it back down or it's crowding my neck.

I HIGHLY recommend a back protector any time you are going to be doing "spirited" riding, and one with a chest protector is even better. Rolling back first into a sign post or rock outcropping could leave you rolling four wheels permanently instead of walking.

Most protectors are plated with the plates bending in only one direction. Upon impact the force will tend to bend the plates backward. When this happens, they plates interlock and become rigid.

They aren't that expensive, and you may never be in a crash where your back is exposed to impact, but it only takes one instance for your life to be irreparable altered.

Catheters and colostomy bags suck.

PhiSig1071
11-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Yep, I had a relatively mundane 50-60mph highside and ended up with two broken ribs. Had I been wearing my A-Stars vest I would have probably rode home without a scratch.

t-homo
11-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I already have a bad back from football (2 fractured vertebrae and a few pinched nerves) and I am planning on going to the track in the Spring, so I figure I need one. I am looking at some of the things like the full shirt type protectors with front/back both.

shmike
11-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Studies are showing that more letal injuries occur as a result of blunt force trauma to the chest than originally thought. I would be looking at a chest and back protector combined.

CCS has had a number of injuries to racers getting hit after going down.

A buddy of ours had a minor low-side result in a hospital stay and punctured lungs because of it.

Henry DeGouw, the promoter for the Florida series has been actively persuading racers to consider running a chest protector in addition to back protector.

A very good idea indeed. :dthumb:

FT BSTRD
11-23-2008, 10:05 PM
One factor not noted in the YTARN database
was the clothing being worn by motorcyclists and
their pillion passengers at the time of the accident.
We have shown that injuries to the abdomen and to
the chest have as great an effect on mortality rates
as head injuries ; it may be prudent to look at protective
clothing in future studies. Compulsory helmet
use is known to have reduced the incidence of
head injury (4). Can appropriate clothing, e.g.
‘leathers’ or body armor, have a similar effect on
chest and abdominal injuries ?

http://www.actaorthopaedica.be/acta/download/2002-4/03-collighan-bellamy-.pdf

ceo012384
11-23-2008, 11:36 PM
From personal experience, which back protector do you think the best. With Christmas coming up, I figured I would try to get my parents to get me one. Probably limited to about 200 bucks.
Knox contour. Make sure you get the race version and not the touring version.

The race version is what I have. It is one of the few units on the market that offers ample tailbone protection.
dont wear one. never hurt my back in an accident.
You're an idiot.
Knox is the tits.

I use the Contour model when racing.
This man knows where it's at.

OneSickPsycho
11-24-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm a moron... I have a Knox Ricochet.... There's something to be said about any gear that makes you think of a pinball...

marko138
11-24-2008, 09:52 AM
I've got a Dainese Shield Race. Got a great deal on it...no shoulder straps but it does it's job.

I wear it at the track and twisty riding. It stays in place just fine and can't even tell I'm wearing it. Had it on when I low sided. No issues.

Here's a link: http://www.tenn2cycles.com/armor.html

azoomm
11-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I seem to remember Azoom having the women's specific Alpinestars Bionic gear too.

I looked at it - but the Dainese version has removable armor and the back piece zips off for easy washer cleaning. I now won't wear any other back armor other than the full one with front and back protection. Especially after having an instructor take his bars to the chest and breaking six ribs. I don't know that the chest protection would have saved him completely... but maybe less breakage :idk:

DLIT
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I tried the top of the line Astars and I now have the top of the line Dainese, the one with the metal honeycomb shit in it and like it much better because it's much thinner than the Astars and offers as much, if not more protection.

Amber Lamps
11-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I tried the top of the line Astars and I now have the top of the line Dainese, the one with the metal honeycomb shit in it and like it much better because it's much thinner than the Astars and offers as much, if not more protection.

Yea,I have the Dainese Safety Jacket II (I think),it came free with Dainese 2-piece I bought years ago. I think I've worn it twice...it's kinda hot. Oh they also sent the armored "pants" too...anyway,the Dainese equipment will ALWAYS be the pinnacle all others will be judged from IMHO.

here's the jacket and the underarmor bottoms,the pants and gloves were FUBAR and I can't find the safety jacket. Anyway,this is what I was wearing when I got totally fucked at well over 100 mph on the track and it definitely did it's job!

Trip
11-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Get something with over the shoulders straps along with around the chest straps, stay away from the ones that don't go over the shoulders, they move around and don't offer very good protection.

ceo012384
11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
stay away from the ones that don't go over the shoulders, they move around and don't offer very good protection.

There are exceptions. A company called impact armor makes back and chest protectors that go around with a single strap. They form them to your body custom made and they stay in place very well. The prices are reasonable too. I have seen a lot of folks running them up at the track.