PDA

View Full Version : question about boots

JARVIS518
11-23-2008, 07:30 PM
whats the difference between motorcycle, motocross and supermoto boots?
would someone be comfortable wearing dirt boots on street or vise versa?

NONE_too_SOFT
11-23-2008, 07:33 PM
abraison resistance.

Dirt boots are made to prevent your feet/ankles/lower legs from harm, while offering support.

street boots, in the same respect, pretty much offer the same thing except they are geared toward high speed vs asphalt abrasian rather than dirt. usually built with more support for high speed get off's, where as dirt boots allow for more mobility considering you may need to put your foot out.

you can wear whatever you want on the street, but motocross boots would just look silly.

OneSickPsycho
11-23-2008, 07:39 PM
abraison resistance.

Dirt boots are made to prevent your feet/ankles/lower legs from harm, while offering support.

street boots, in the same respect, pretty much offer the same thing except they are geared toward high speed vs asphalt abrasian rather than dirt. usually built with more support for high speed get off's, where as dirt boots allow for more mobility considering you may need to put your foot out.

you can wear whatever you want on the street, but motocross boots would just look silly.

Or badass if you're into the Road Warrior thing...

SM boots, from what I've seen in pictures, look like they have really thick soles... I assume that's cause you're draggin' them pretty often...

PhiSig1071
11-23-2008, 09:17 PM
:scratch:

OK, actually MX boots move MUCH less and are much stiffer than road race boots. Road Race boots are designed to stay on the pegs and articulate when the rider moves around. MX boots are designed to be stiff enough that the rider doesn't brake every bone is his foot and ankle when he puts it into the dirt in a corner. Supermoto boots are a lot like road race boots except they usually do have thicker soles (like OSP mentioned) and the sole of the boot is usually easily replacable.

You move your foot around a lot more when road racing, and you use your feet to move your body so a road racing boot will give more controlled flex and range of motion. In MX you put a lot of force onto your legs and feet so MX boots are designed to be stiff and offer support.

I have worn MX boots on the street on my SuMo, but not on my sportbike, they're fine on the 'tard but they're much too stiff to be worn on the GSXR.

JARVIS518
11-23-2008, 09:21 PM

OK, actually MX boots move MUCH less and are much stiffer than road race boots. Road Race boots are designed to stay on the pegs and articulate when the rider moves around. MX boots are designed to be stiff enough that the rider doesn't brake every bone is his foot and ankle when he puts it into the dirt in a corner. Supermoto boots are a lot like road race boots except they usually do have thicker soles (like OSP mentioned) and the sole of the boot is usually easily replacable.

You move your foot around a lot more when road racing, and you use your feet to move your body so a road racing boot will give more controlled flex and range of motion. In MX you put a lot of force onto your legs and feet so MX boots are designed to be stiff and offer support.

I have worn MX boots on the street on my SuMo, but not on my sportbike, they're fine on the 'tard but they're much too stiff to be worn on the GSXR.

thats what i was looking for thanks

NONE_too_SOFT
11-23-2008, 09:31 PM

True. i didnt really clarify much. I was refering more to the versatility of MX boots as far as the function they need to provide.

neebelung
11-24-2008, 07:54 AM
would someone be comfortable wearing dirt boots on street or vise versa?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motocross boots are much bigger, bulkier and come up higher on the leg, typically. I also doubt they'd have the oil resistant sole that street boots have (since putting your foot down on a slick spot isn't a great concern when you're out playin in the dirt). They also have less flexibility than a street boot (street boots/race boots can be very rigid, especially at the ankle, but they'll still have some range of motion).

Street boots/race boots (as stated above) will typically have an oil resistant sole, reinforcement in the ankle, and will be more comfortable for all-day wear.

xx CURVE xx
11-24-2008, 08:19 AM
abraison resistance.

How is wearing RIDING boots silly?... :idk: ....maybe i should wear flip flops instead?

neebelung
11-24-2008, 08:20 AM
How is wearing RIDING boots silly?... :idk: ....maybe i should wear flip flops instead?

:rofl: You have a valid point.

askmrjesus
11-24-2008, 09:02 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motocross boots are much bigger, bulkier and come up higher on the leg, typically. I also doubt they'd have the oil resistant sole that street boots have

Truth be told, "Oil and Gas resistant soles" just means that the soles won't react (melt) when they come in contact with gas and oil. They're not necessarily going to give you more grip in an oil puddle.

The soles on my race boots, are every bit as hard as those on my MX boots, and neither are worth a shit when it comes to slipping around on slippery stuff, though both are "oil resistant".

There are some touring boots that have a softer rubber compound than your average sport boots. The upside is greater flexibility, and comfort when walking. The down side is that they are less resistant to abrasion, and easier to melt on hot pipes. Softer compounds will offer a little bit better grip on oily surfaces, but oil is oil after all.

JC

neebelung
11-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Truth be told, "Oil and Gas resistant soles" just means that the soles won't react (melt) when they come in contact with gas and oil. They're not necessarily going to give you more grip in an oil puddle.

The soles on my race boots, are every bit as hard as those on my MX boots, and neither are worth a shit when it comes to slipping around on slippery stuff, though both are "oil resistant".

There are some touring boots that have a softer rubber compound than your average sport boots. The upside is greater flexibility, and comfort when walking. The down side is that they are less resistant to abrasion, and easier to melt on hot pipes. Softer compounds will offer a little bit better grip on oily surfaces, but oil is oil after all.

JC

Ahhhhhhhhh, okay, good to know!! I wasn't aware that's all that meant! :panic: