PDA

View Full Version : Rossi vs Bayliss

xx CURVE xx
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Carter: Rossi to challenge Bayliss?

Eurosport - Tue, 02 Dec 14:15:00 2008

Tony Carter wonders whether Valentino Rossi would really take on Troy Bayliss in a one-off World Superbike race.

How clever is Valentino Rossi?

He certainly is shrewd. Over the last couple of weeks the eight time World Champ has been out in action at a rally event, stirred up press speculation about his future with the odd quip about his remaining two years with Yamaha and taken to the track for some early 2009 testing.

And now, in an almost unreported on section of the Italian press, Valentino's gone and dropped probably his biggest bombshell to date.

Because, according to some race watchers over here, it's now been reported in Italian sporting publication Corriere dello Sport that Vale wants to race none other than Troy Bayliss in a one-off World Superbike scrap.

Blimey.

Here's what the publication has apparently run as direct quotes from Rossi himself: "If there was an opportunity and the right date then I would race there tomorrow. I like World Superbikes to be mad, I like to watch it and I'd love to ride in it, the problem is the dates.

"I do not know when, but I hope that I can make a race in WSB. I am sad that I would not be able to race against Bayliss on track now because I would like to challenge him on a superbike. Maybe, if I ask him he might even come back for one race for the challenge."

The magazine also goes on to quote Ducati Xerox Team Boss David Tardozzi as saying: "We like this idea, but will Rossi really race in Superbike? Bayliss is ready."

I think David's reticence about the idea is pretty spot on. Would Rossi really come to WSB for a one-off race against Bayliss? Vale on the R1 versus Troy on the 1098?

Let's not lose sight of the fact that it would be a thing of legend in terms of motorcycle racing. One of those events and races that every race fan around the world would talk about forever.

But, like David said, would Valentino really go and race in WSB?

Surely he doesn't feel the need to. He can't honestly think he has anything left to prove on two wheels, does he?

Let's assume that he's not mulling over the idea to prove anything to anyone then, let's take a look at the bigger picture.

Why would Rossi say these things? What could he hope to achieve? Has he been so starved of good, manic, close-quarter racing in recent MotoGP years that the elbows-out nature of WSB is starting to pull him towards the series?

Is there another motive for saying these things at all?

Maybe. It's still early days yet as far as the 2009 MotoGP season goes, but we're already out of the new season's starter blocks as far as rider's mind games go.

And maybe this is just a really nice bluff put up by the king to just knock his rivals off their stride a little bit. Every time they think they have a handle on him and can adjust and tighten up their own attacks accordingly, Rossi the master throws them a curve ball.

Good tactic to use.

Mind you, if it's not mind games and he really does want to race Bayliss at a WSB round soon then do what you have to so that you can get trackside because that one race will be amazing.
Tony Carter / Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02122008/58/carter-rossi-challenge-bayliss.html

marko138
12-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Interesting.

Rider
12-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Rossi is my favorite rider but lets not forget that Bayless smoked his ass at Valencia in the final round of MotoGP in 2006. Of course Rossi crashed out on lap 3 or something like that but by that time Bayless was waaaaaay the fuck out front. Not bad for a guy doing a 1 off race.

xx CURVE xx
12-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Rossi is my favorite rider but lets not forget that Bayless smoked his ass at Valencia in the final round of MotoGP in 2006. Of course Rossi crashed out on lap 3 or something like that but by that time Bayless was waaaaaay the fuck out front. Not bad for a guy doing a 1 off race.

Yeah Rossi has done nothing pre or post 06 :lol:

I love Bayliss...he's a machine....but Rossi would hand him his ass...I've been saying for years....he's not gonna go to F1 or WRC...he's gonna do WSBK ;)

Rider
12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah Rossi has done nothing pre or post 06 :lol:

I love Bayliss...he's a machine....but Rossi would hand him his ass...I've been saying for years....he's not gonna go to F1 or WRC...he's gonna do WSBK ;)

I'd love to see Rossi, Bayless, and Spies battle it out in WSBK.

cuttle
12-02-2008, 03:28 PM
I'd love to see Rossi, Bayless, and Spies battle it out in WSBK.

I don't think Bayliss would come out of retirement and return to WSBK.

But I'd love to see a "shoot-out" between the two champions :drool:

Mr Lefty
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I think rossi is a better rider... he doesn't make mistakes near as often as bayless does... Bayless is outstanding to be sure... but theres a reason why Rossi is the G.O.A.T.

like everyone else... I'd love to see this race... I mean you see what rossi does when he's got a full season of races a head of him... now imagine the passes he'll make if it's ONE RACE with nothing left after?! :drool:

I'd love to see rossi in WSBK... but he'd spank the field... shit Biaggi is usually in the top 5... when he doesn't wreck... and Rossi was smoke'n him 4 years ago!

DLIT
12-02-2008, 04:28 PM

You're forgetting how horrible the M1 and Michelin was that year.

marko138
12-03-2008, 09:00 AM
I think rossi is a better rider... he doesn't make mistakes near as often as bayless does... Bayless is outstanding to be sure... but theres a reason why Rossi is the G.O.A.T.

like everyone else... I'd love to see this race... I mean you see what rossi does when he's got a full season of races a head of him... now imagine the passes he'll make if it's ONE RACE with nothing left after?! :drool:

I'd love to see rossi in WSBK... but he'd spank the field... shit Biaggi is usually in the top 5... when he doesn't wreck... and Rossi was smoke'n him 4 years ago!
I'm not sure who this Bayless guy is...we are talking about Bayliss.

Rider
12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
You're forgetting how horrible the M1 and Michelin was that year.

Oh I didn't forget, the M1 seemed like it was blowing goats...er, I mean motors every other race.

azoomm
12-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Why would you bring Biaggi into a conversation of the greats??

I'd LOVE to see Bayliss and Rossi battle. I think they would have fun with it.

smileyman
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Pay per view must see!!! Maybe Rossi needs some dough to cover his tax evasion nonsense?

I think on 2 wheels Rossi has no equal, Bayliss is a great rider but in a one on one duel on like equipment, would come up short. However if they got drunk and went for some fisticuffs after, Bayliss would surely whip his scrawny Italian ass!:zowned:

Yamerhaw
12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
i think rossi would spank him, then have sex with bayliss wife and spank his kids for no good reason, just to prove a point

Amber Lamps
12-11-2008, 04:52 PM
i think rossi would spank him, then have sex with bayliss wife and spank his kids for no good reason, just to prove a point

Oh for sure! Ummm... didn't Baylis "race" in MotoGp for a couple years? How many times did he "spank" Rossi heads up?

smileyman
12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Well Rossi still has all his fingers so he must be the better crasher at least!

Rsv1000R
12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Rossi is my favorite rider but lets not forget that Bayless smoked his ass at Valencia in the final round of MotoGP in 2006.

That was a great race for Bayliss, But don't forget he spent what 2 years in GP? And he was never much of a threat to well, anyone.

Now I think Troy is one of the best riders in the world, and I like him a lot. But he couldn't ride those GP bikes, except for one time.

Now on WSB's particularly Troy on the Ducati, and Rossi on the R1, I'm not Rossi's good enough to overcome the disadvantages.

Amber Lamps
12-13-2008, 09:05 PM
That was a great race for Bayliss, But don't forget he spent what 2 years in GP? And he was never much of a threat to well, anyone.

Now I think Troy is one of the best riders in the world, and I like him a lot. But he couldn't ride those GP bikes, except for one time.

Now on WSB's particularly Troy on the Ducati, and Rossi on the R1, I'm not Rossi's good enough to overcome the disadvantages.

Well it's not as if Troy won every race and I believe that Haga gave him a run for his money a couple of times this year! besides,Yamaha has a new bike out that they belive will be competative next year. It can't happen but really,I'd like to see them both on the same bike,perhaps even bikes that are set up the same way or even stock! To me,that's the only real way to measure compatative skill between the riders!

Mr Lefty
12-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Well it's not as if Troy won every race and I believe that Haga gave him a run for his money a couple of times this year! besides,Yamaha has a new bike out that they belive will be competative next year. It can't happen but really,I'd like to see them both on the same bike,perhaps even bikes that are set up the same way or even stock! To me,that's the only real way to measure compatative skill between the riders!

exactly Corser finished 2nd in the championship with Haga 3rd... they both beat Bayliss on more than one occasion. I think Rossi would be just fine on any of the WSBK factory bikes :2cents:

and yeah I'd like to see them both on same bike...

DLIT
12-22-2008, 09:20 PM
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/news/172800-0/ducati__rossi,_bayliss_duel_unlikely.html

Dnyce
12-22-2008, 09:50 PM
isnt this like a massive repost?