PDA

View Full Version : IMS Show Long Beach test ride review - KTM 690 SMC supermotard

fnfalman
12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
After the Aprilia, pretty much everything else paled in comparison.

The 690 SMC is very tall, of course, as per all proper motards. Riding it right after riding the 690 Duke really brought out the differences in the bike despite the engine configuration and displacement.

The SMC seems "slower" in comparison to the Duke, and rougher around the edge too. Not polished but more of a race bike. And the soft motard suspension pogos back and forth on acceleration and braking. I had some fun taking some corners with my feet sticking out.

Amazingly enough, it was more stable at top end than the Duke just because of the motard/dirt seat that allows me to sit practically on the gas tank and put all of my considerable heft on the front end. Brake is also less sensitive and more forgiving. Still shed speed quickly but with better control. Gear shift has longer throw than the Duke but gives more positive feedback. I can actually tell whether or not I changed gear.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/IMS%202008/MotorcycleShow2008014.jpg

Homeslice
12-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Rode one at the KTM demo 2-3 months ago, thought it sucked.....But then I'm not a motard guy.