PDA

View Full Version : Sounds that make you Cringe

Phenix_Rider
03-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Thinking about my snowboard trip last weekend gave me this idea. After I was done, I sat down on a picnic table at the lodge. Hear the most horrible noise and turn around to see some kid dragging their board across the paving bricks :bash: So what noises make you cringe?

I'll start off with snowboard on brick- ouch. And church organs played beyond the old organists hearing :willy:

NONE_too_SOFT
03-06-2008, 09:40 AM
great way to ruin your edges, kid prolly had a rental.

Rider
03-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Somebody chewing food or gum.... Thats just gross.

azoomm
03-06-2008, 09:45 AM

That's number one on my list. Especially when someone walks up really close to you... smack smack smack UGH

neebelung
03-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Ick.... Yeah big ol + 1 on the sonunds of someone chewing. :no:

Fingernails on a chalkboard is a given.....

Fork tines scraping a plate.....

dReWpY
03-06-2008, 09:48 AM
any unknown tick or rattle in any internal combustion engine, can be the car next to me or a weed eater, it just drives me nuts

Rider
03-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Or knife, spoon...etc.

Audiomechanic
03-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Babies crying and dogs barking. Both of those sounds want to send me into a murderous blind rage. Especially when the baby crying is at a restaurant and the parent's think it's cute or tune it out. SHUT THAT BRAT UP!

Phenix_Rider
03-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Fingernails on a chalkboard is a given.....
Nails on a chalkboard doesn't do it for me:idk:

great way to ruin your edges, kid prolly had a rental.
...and the base- brat still had one foot strapped in. Wanted to go smack him around, or better yet the parents. Kid was probably 10 or something with no parents to be seen.

neebelung
03-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Babies crying and dogs barking. Both of those sounds want to send me into a murderous blind rage. Especially when the baby crying is at a restaurant and the parent's think it's cute or tune it out. SHUT THAT BRAT UP!

OH JEEBUS... that just pisses me off.

Rider
03-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Motherfuckers who talk shit behind your back....

Audiomechanic
03-06-2008, 01:00 PM
OH JEEBUS... that just pisses me off.

It's like their kid is THE freaking GIFT to humanity! Just cause THEY think their precious little brat is soooo cute, does NOT mean others do. Since there's smoking sections in restaurants, I think there aught to be sound proof "kid" sections so the rest of us can eat in peace.

t-homo
03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Fork or knife on a glass plate is the worst for me. chalkboard never really bothered me.

Ooh when your teeth scrape together the wrong way is terrible.

JoJoYZF
03-06-2008, 01:46 PM
For some reason I hate when people squeak balloons or styrofoam.

Audiomechanic
03-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Fork or knife on a glass plate is the worst for me. chalkboard never really bothered me.

The TEETH! I didn't think of that one cause it doesn't happen much but YES! When it does happen, instant cringe up the spine.

ZukLady
03-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Nails on a chalkboard
When 2 pans scrape against each other
The dishwasher...i dont know why, i just hate the sound
People "slurping" soup/cereal...ewwwwww
And pretty much any toy my daughter has that makes noise

Captain Morgan
03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Cardboard rubbing together. :panic: Cringing just thinking about it!!!

Trip
03-06-2008, 03:02 PM
The sound of a bike crunch.

Rider
03-06-2008, 03:08 PM
The metal blade of a grass edger hitting concrete.

Fran Dresher when she opens her mouth. God damn shrill shrieking shrew.

The squeak of a loose fan belt on a car.

Brakes that are worm past their usefulness.

the chi
03-06-2008, 03:14 PM
sucking on a straw when the damn glass is empty

cracking of knuckles

crashes

itgirl
03-06-2008, 03:34 PM

It's like their kid is THE freaking GIFT to humanity! Just cause THEY think their precious little brat is soooo cute, does NOT mean others do. Since there's smoking sections in restaurants, I think there aught to be sound proof "kid" sections so the rest of us can eat in peace.

so i take it you have no kids. as a parent, lemme tell ya i find it hard to believe that any parent thinks a crying baby is cute. i know i don't, i find it embarrassing if it is my child. but what if you ordered food? what do you do then? it's one of those situations that you can only relate to once you've been in it.

however, i do believe if it gets out of hand you should excuse yourself and try to calm the child. but that isn't always possible. those of us with kids shouldn't need to be holed up at home like prisoners for 18 years just because your ears are sensitive.

neebelung
03-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Cardboard rubbing together. :panic: Cringing just thinking about it!!!

CARDBOARD? :dvrofl: Really????

neebelung
03-06-2008, 03:39 PM
...those of us with kids shouldn't need to be holed up at home like prisoners for 18 years just because your ears are sensitive.

Very true, BUT... there are places that are infant/small child appropriate, and there are places that are not.

itgirl
03-06-2008, 03:39 PM
it's not a sound, but i can't stand the feel of cotton balls rubbed btween my finger tips. ugh, i shudder just thinking of the sensation.

Rider
03-06-2008, 03:41 PM
it's not a sound, but i can't stand the feel of cotton balls rubbed btween my finger tips. ugh, i shudder just thinking of the sensation.

How about harry balls? :lol:

Phenix_Rider
03-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Ooohhh- ow. Hate that.
The sound of a bike crunch.
crashes

Wondered when that would come up...

neebelung
03-06-2008, 03:45 PM

I never thought about it, but I know whatcha mean... it's a weird, fiber-y feeling (not as extreme as fiberglass insulation, but similar)

itgirl
03-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Very true, BUT... there are places that are infant/small child appropriate, and there are places that are not.

i do agree, but i doubt he was referring to high-class establishments. i don't always wanna eat at mcdonalds. i like TGIFridays and red lobster, and it isn't always easy to get a sitter so i can dine peacefully. we do what we gotta do. but i know my boundaries of where i can and can't go w/the kids. it's just the fact that people think we are oblivious to our children's actions that always gets a rise outta me. like i said, (speaking generally here) you will never know until you're in that situation. it is very stressful dining with children. but we either do it or never leave the house. :)

* itgirl steps down off soapbox now *

itgirl
03-06-2008, 03:52 PM
How about harry balls? :lol:

i dunno, i make my man shave 'em. ;)

r!der
03-06-2008, 03:56 PM
My ex-girlfriend after a couple of drinks. Sometimes I wish that biotch came with a remote control and a mute button.

neebelung
i do agree, but i doubt he was referring to high-class establishments. i don't always wanna eat at mcdonalds. i like TGIFridays and red lobster, and it isn't always easy to get a sitter so i can dine peacefully. we do what we gotta do. but i know my boundaries of where i can and can't go w/the kids. it's just the fact that people think we are oblivious to our children's actions that always gets a rise outta me. like i said, (speaking generally here) you will never know until you're in that situation. it is very stressful dining with children. but we either do it or never leave the house. :)

I totally see what you're saying, but I think we've ALL seen parents who just sit idly by and allow their kid to scream. No, not ALL, but the ones who DO do that are the ones we're talkin' about. :lol:

(not to mention the parents who take screamers into NICER restaurants... or the movies... THAT totally kills me... yeah let's take a toddler or an infant in a carrier to "Saw 3" why don't we... )

neebelung
My ex-girlfriend after a couple of drinks. Sometimes I wish that biotch came with a remote control and a mute button.

:dvrofl:

Rider
03-06-2008, 04:01 PM

They do, it's called :ps:

Audiomechanic
03-06-2008, 04:22 PM

You're right in that I don't have kids. Don't want 'em either. Yes, at least around here, there are a LOT of parents that couldn't care less what their kids do at the dinner table. If your kid starts crying, and you make an effort to shut him/her up, we're straight. It's the parents that let the kid sit there and wail for 30 minutes (which happens a LOT around here).

I understand the stress and I wasn't meaning to pick on anyone in particular or induce anger. Like I said, if you make the effort to put a cork in the kid, all good as long as that cork actually works. if not, take the kid somewhere else or we have a problem.

azoomm
03-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Someone biting a fork. My ex-husband used to do that all the time... *shiver*

Audiomechanic
03-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Biting a fork? Did he think there was food at the end of it?

azoomm
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Biting a fork? Did he think there was food at the end of it?

He would do that to remove whatever food was on it.... bite and scccrrraapppppeeeee.

Audiomechanic
03-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Oh! I got it now. Yea, that would get annoying real quick.

Mr Lefty
03-06-2008, 05:14 PM
there aren't really any sounds that do that to me...

but the feel of velcro... the hook side... fucking sends shivers up my spine... wierd as hell I know... just does though...

Captain Morgan
03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
so i take it you have no kids. as a parent, lemme tell ya i find it hard to believe that any parent thinks a crying baby is cute. i know i don't, i find it embarrassing if it is my child. but what if you ordered food? what do you do then? it's one of those situations that you can only relate to once you've been in it.

however, i do believe if it gets out of hand you should excuse yourself and try to calm the child. but that isn't always possible. those of us with kids shouldn't need to be holed up at home like prisoners for 18 years just because your ears are sensitive.

Not sure if you meant to literally wait until it gets out of hand or not, but to me, any crying or whining is out of hand at a restaurant. My little girl started to cry but I didn't let it get out of hand. Picked her up immediately and took her outside. Sat her down and had a talk with her and let her know that the next time we step outside, she's getting her butt whipped. Went back inside and she apologized to everyone at the table and sat there and ate the rest of her food. She was two when that happened. She still starts to cry/throw fits, but I stop her immediately, even at the house. IF my talk doesn't work at the house, she goes to her room and stays there till she's done. 9 times out of 10, a stern look from me accompanied by a "knock it off" stops the fit in it's tracks. I'll also just keep saying "stop" and then when she's down to sniffling, I'll ask what's wrong. She'll tell me, and I'll ask, "is that any reason to cry?" followed by, "all you have to say is..." She'll usually say okay and then tell me what upset her, I take care of it, and she's happy. She's only allowed to cry when she's hurt. No fits allowed in my presence. Period.

Mr Lefty
03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Not sure if you meant to literally wait until it gets out of hand or not, but to me, any crying or whining is out of hand at a restaurant. My little girl started to cry but I didn't let it get out of hand. Picked her up immediately and took her outside. Sat her down and had a talk with her and let her know that the next time we step outside, she's getting her butt whipped. Went back inside and she apologized to everyone at the table and sat there and ate the rest of her food. She was two when that happened. She still starts to cry/throw fits, but I stop her immediately, even at the house. IF my talk doesn't work at the house, she goes to her room and stays there till she's done. 9 times out of 10, a stern look from me accompanied by a "knock it off" stops the fit in it's tracks. She's only allowed to cry when she's hurt. No fits allowed in my presence. Period.

wish more parents would have that approach

the chi
03-06-2008, 06:45 PM
parenting looks like it may be along the lines of politics...everyone has their own ideas of what is and isnt right or acceptable...lets make sure we all agree to disagree if needed k? I know that no one is trying to hurt anyone elses feelings here...

My .02 on the whole thing: I cant stand misbehaved children at all. And that would be on my list as well. Theres nothing worse to me than a small child running amuk in a food joint or a shopping place unsupervised by parents sitting and bs'ing, one because its just dangerous and two, because for some reason I am always the one they bounce off of...

I would make a horrible mother because I am the "point and frown" type person. I was a nazi when it came to my furry babies, but after their first year or so, I never had to do more than point and clear my throat and they would knock off whatever they were doing. I dont like loud noises and with all 6 of mine, they didnt even bark if that tells you anything.

Mr Lefty
03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
parenting looks like it may be along the lines of politics...everyone has their own ideas of what is and isnt right or acceptable...lets make sure we all agree to disagree if needed k? I know that no one is trying to hurt anyone elses feelings here...

My .02 on the whole thing: I cant stand misbehaved children at all. And that would be on my list as well. Theres nothing worse to me than a small child running amuk in a food joint or a shopping place unsupervised by parents sitting and bs'ing, one because its just dangerous and two, because for some reason I am always the one they bounce off of...

I would make a horrible mother because I am the "point and frown" type person. I was a nazi when it came to my furry babies, but after their first year or so, I never had to do more than point and clear my throat and they would knock off whatever they were doing. I dont like loud noises and with all 6 of mine, they didnt even bark if that tells you anything.

that's cause they think your one of them... midget

Cutty72
03-06-2008, 07:09 PM

burn....

:overkill:

OneSickPsycho
03-06-2008, 08:55 PM

I used to bang this chick that would have been my girlfriend if I could stand to eat a meal with her... She chewed with her mouth open.. that's a deal breaker for me...

Not sure if you meant to literally wait until it gets out of hand or not, but to me, any crying or whining is out of hand at a restaurant. My little girl started to cry but I didn't let it get out of hand. Picked her up immediately and took her outside. Sat her down and had a talk with her and let her know that the next time we step outside, she's getting her butt whipped. Went back inside and she apologized to everyone at the table and sat there and ate the rest of her food. She was two when that happened. She still starts to cry/throw fits, but I stop her immediately, even at the house. IF my talk doesn't work at the house, she goes to her room and stays there till she's done. 9 times out of 10, a stern look from me accompanied by a "knock it off" stops the fit in it's tracks. I'll also just keep saying "stop" and then when she's down to sniffling, I'll ask what's wrong. She'll tell me, and I'll ask, "is that any reason to cry?" followed by, "all you have to say is..." She'll usually say okay and then tell me what upset her, I take care of it, and she's happy. She's only allowed to cry when she's hurt. No fits allowed in my presence. Period.

I'm a firm believer that if your kid is out of control in public, it's your fault. My sis and bro-in-law are AMAZING when it comes to this... Much like you, they nip it in the bud IMMEDIATELY. I've been out to eat dozens of times an almost every time my sis is out in the parking lot with my niece... first talkin', then spankin'. They'd pay for a meal and leave a restruant prior to eating before they'd let my neice/nephew get out of control.

As hard as it is to believe I was an out of control kid... Anytime my neice gets out of line and my sis takes care of it, my mom is always like, "if I would have just been proactive instead of reactive with you." I always tell her, then I wouldn't have my award winning personality.

Other things that bother me...

Grinding teeth... one of my ex's had TMJ and the sound of her griding her teeth would wake me up at night...

The sound of my cat hacking up a hairball from some mysterious location... the unknown factor is the worst... it's NEVER on the tile floor... always on the carpet, or the bed, or on some furniture....

the chi
03-07-2008, 09:51 AM

you think your funny dontcha??!! :skep:

Mr Lefty
03-07-2008, 09:54 AM
you think your funny dontcha??!! :skep:

yup... and so do you :lol:

vabarber2
03-07-2008, 10:20 AM
The sound of explosions used to!! But now ive become accustomed to them!! So the new guys who just got here crack me up whenm they hear them and go running for the bunkers! :lol:

Audiomechanic
03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
wish more parents would have that approach

:iagree:

See where I live, there is a very high hispanic culture here (illegal or not.....mostly illegal) and they DO NOT give a CRAP what their kids do! They somehow just tune it out and let their kid wail in a restaurant for an HOUR! You think I'm exaggerating!!! I'M NOT! So yes, kids crying in restaurants or any public place that's not outside for that matter sends chills up my spine and makes me want to start breaking things. To those parents like Cap and OSP's siblings, kudos. Y'all are the few around here unfortunately.

Another thing that gets me (it's not a sound but gives me the creeping willies anyway) is anything having to do with the eye. Someone putting in a contact, someone touching their eye or removing an eyelash, or even hearing about my co worker's Lasik surgery sends me into a creeped out fit! I can't handle the eyeball.

vabarber2
03-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I cring at the sound of a kid getting a beating, but then again I get hype about kids acting bad in public and deserving beating but not getting any punishment!

Mrs. Colleen
03-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Three year olds whining! :willy::willy:

Bassplayer
brother after chili night.... :panic: :sorry:

vabarber2
Three year olds whining! :willy::willy:
Yup! Exactly!!

LaFemmes
03-07-2008, 07:56 PM
sportbikegurls.comBad speakers!

Mule
03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
i don't like the movie sound effects for slashing skin with a blade....

silverware on a plate....nasty....

gnashing or gritting teeth....

Audiomechanic
03-07-2008, 08:39 PM

AMEN!!! I hate that too.

vabarber2
03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Yup! Like walmart subwofers! I hate it! Especialy when its someone paying me more to install them than he should have spent on the whole set up!

Mr Lefty
03-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Yup! Like walmart subwofers! I hate it! Especialy when its someone paying me more to install them than he should have spent on the whole set up!

:lol: I can't stand that either... then again I used to sell car audio for 6 years...

I thought she meant like public speakers....

in which case I also ... uh... uhm... well... I... uh... mnnnn... uh... agggg... aggg... agggrreee... agree!

Dave
03-07-2008, 11:34 PM
spun bearings

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 08:05 AM
A fart that turns into something else... waddling to the bathroom SUCKS!

:iagree:

See where I live, there is a very high hispanic culture here (illegal or not.....mostly illegal) and they DO NOT give a CRAP what their kids do! They somehow just tune it out and let their kid wail in a restaurant for an HOUR! You think I'm exaggerating!!! I'M NOT! So yes, kids crying in restaurants or any public place that's not outside for that matter sends chills up my spine and makes me want to start breaking things. To those parents like Cap and OSP's siblings, kudos. Y'all are the few around here unfortunately.

Another thing that gets me (it's not a sound but gives me the creeping willies anyway) is anything having to do with the eye. Someone putting in a contact, someone touching their eye or removing an eyelash, or even hearing about my co worker's Lasik surgery sends me into a creeped out fit! I can't handle the eyeball.

Same here... The other day at the bank there was this latina chick with her 3 kids... the one girl who looked to be about 8 was tying the pens on the little cords together... I was giving the mom a wild eye and looking at her kid and she just smiled at me... :wtf: lady, don't make me have to kill your retard kid!

azoomm
03-08-2008, 09:08 AM

in which case I also ... uh... uhm... well... I... uh... mnnnn... uh... agggg... aggg... agggrreee... agree!

You mean like Nicky.... :skep:

Audiomechanic
03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
A fart that turns into something else... waddling to the bathroom SUCKS!

Same here... The other day at the bank there was this latina chick with her 3 kids... the one girl who looked to be about 8 was tying the pens on the little cords together... I was giving the mom a wild eye and looking at her kid and she just smiled at me... :wtf: lady, don't make me have to kill your retard kid!

:no:

DLIT
03-08-2008, 11:23 AM
It's been a while since I heard it, but whenever I heard it and I was talking, it would fuck my speach up. I forget exactly what it was. Something like dragging something against concrete. I forget but it fucked with my speach.

vabarber2
03-08-2008, 01:46 PM
:lol: I can't stand that either... then again I used to sell car audio for 6 years...

Yeah! Ether Way!

dscort
03-08-2008, 02:12 PM
i cant stand the sound of that damn alarm clock! there is some stupid tv commercial w/ a alarm clock goin off and it drives me up a wall...

vabarber2
03-08-2008, 02:16 PM
i cant stand the sound of that damn alarm clock! there is some stupid tv commercial w/ a alarm clock goin off and it drives me up a wall...
:lol: I dont hear the alarm clock! I've gotten into plenty of trouble with the army because it never wakes me up!