PDA

View Full Version : Tire war room

dReWpY
03-07-2008, 06:04 PM
we all know that Pilot powers pwn all for street duty, but here is a place to talk tread and throw your two cents in the ring...roast'em:slide:

i just got a flat at the dealer, and had to chose between dunlop qualifiers and metzler m3's, so i went ahead and put the m3's on, i got it for $135 whats ppl's opinion on the m3 i just know how the dunlops suck and anything would be better

Trip
03-07-2008, 06:27 PM
corsa IIIs FTW

dReWpY
03-07-2008, 06:33 PM
that tire would last one weekend on my bike, maybe less

and i went with the 180 series... see if i can tell a differance

NONE_too_SOFT
03-07-2008, 06:34 PM
heres what im using right now.

I'm pretty happy with the amount tread.

http://www.dhtire.com/images/tire.jpg

dReWpY
03-07-2008, 06:35 PM
fitting for the tractor of a bike you have

NONE_too_SOFT
03-07-2008, 06:38 PM
my john deere 600 will whoop your ass in the quater till.

dReWpY
03-07-2008, 06:38 PM
lies... and when did hell freeze over?

NONE_too_SOFT
03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
i'm just betting on you lowsiding after the bend around the silo's.

just kidding, i know youll kick my ass up and down the road, no matter if its straight or twisty

dReWpY
03-07-2008, 06:43 PM
gross abuse of power right there....

NONE_too_SOFT
03-07-2008, 06:44 PM
hahah

oh boy

trip you are a RIOT.

dReWpY
03-07-2008, 06:49 PM
what did trip have to do with it?

vabarber2
03-07-2008, 06:53 PM
heres what im using right now.

I'm pretty happy with the amount tread.

http://www.dhtire.com/images/tire.jpg
:lol:

Yup, you hit the nail on the head cause PP's are the way for me! And all my buddys have loved them!

dReWpY
03-07-2008, 06:57 PM
i was stuck in a pinch with no chance of getting my beloved pp

Trip
03-07-2008, 07:02 PM
What I do now?

Mule
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
the buell had pirelli diablos when i bought it.....never had any problems with those up until i had a nail wind up in the back tire...

i had those changed for conti road attacks and haven't had a problem with them yet

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 08:26 AM
The 2ct's have treated me very well so far... Pirelli Diablos that came on bike were solid... My next tire will probably Road 2's... Thinkin' about doing Road 2 in the back and PP in the front...

azoomm
03-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Huh... no Bridgestone lovers? That is all I will ever ride on... BT014 for the street. BT002 for the track.

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Huh... no Bridgestone lovers? That is all I will ever ride on... BT014 for the street. BT002 for the track.

IIRC OTB is a Bridgestone guy...

jtemple
03-08-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm planning on trying out some Pilot Road 2's once I need a new front/rear set. Roads out here aren't twisty enough to need Powers or the like.

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm planning on trying out some Pilot Road 2's once I need a new front/rear set. Roads out here aren't twisty enough to need Powers or the like.

Since rears always wear out faster than fronts, I was going to get a softer one in the front... You should get the PP in the front and do the Road 2 out back... Then let me know how it works so you can be my guinea pig.

Mr Lefty
03-08-2008, 10:39 AM
IIRC OTB is a Bridgestone guy...

I thought OTB was a Avon man... or was that no worries?

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I thought OTB was a Avon man... or was that no worries?

No Worries.

DLIT
03-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I've been a Michelin man ever since I bought the Pilot Powers. And the Pilot Races are sweet too. Instead of doing what I usually do and stick to one brand, I think I might try something else this season. Depends what kind of deals I can get.

Azoom, you got a hook-up on Bridgestones?

Trip
03-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Since rears always wear out faster than fronts, I was going to get a softer one in the front... You should get the PP in the front and do the Road 2 out back... Then let me know how it works so you can be my guinea pig.

Why? Road 2's are suppose to be as soft on the sides as regular powers are everywhere. So all you are doing is making the middle of the front wear faster that way.

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Why? Road 2's are suppose to be as soft on the sides as regular powers are everywhere. So all you are doing is making the middle of the front wear faster that way.

I don't use all of my front tire, so I figure it'll be an even race between the front and rear... Especially now that I'm in FL. I did think about running a 2ct in front and a Road in the rear... That combo may make more sense...

Amber Lamps
03-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Don't do it! All his guinea pigs end up his ass!!!:angel:

DLIT
03-08-2008, 12:48 PM
What do the road 2's look like?

Mr Lefty
03-08-2008, 09:34 PM
What do the road 2's look like?

http://www.varaderoforum.com/images/tyres/michelin_pilot_road2.jpg

azoomm
03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I've been a Michelin man ever since I bought the Pilot Powers. And the Pilot Races are sweet too. Instead of doing what I usually do and stick to one brand, I think I might try something else this season. Depends what kind of deals I can get.

Azoom, you got a hook-up on Bridgestones?

You've been round and white? :nee:

Yes, a hookup I have, indeed. The Bridgestone tire Gods are good to me, I'm now paying well below of $300 a set.

DLIT
03-08-2008, 11:05 PM
http://www.varaderoforum.com/images/tyres/michelin_pilot_road2.jpg

Those look cool. The profile's the same as the Powers? That's gonna come into play if whoever wanted to do the Road2/Power combo.

You've been round and white? :nee:

Yes, a hookup I have, indeed. The Bridgestone tire Gods are good to me, I'm now paying well below of $300 a set.

Care to hook me up with your hook-up? When the time comes?

Mr Lefty
03-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Those look cool. The profile's the same as the Powers? That's gonna come into play if whoever wanted to do the Road2/Power combo.

I think they are... it was OSP who wanted to do the combo...

I've been running these
http://fstg.motosport.com/motographics/images/products/Metric/07tires/PR_DiabloStradaPair.jpg

they're a HUGE improvement over the stock dunslick 20hates... but that's not saying much

I'll give a better impression after September. they're sport touring so I hope to get some decent miles out of them

Amber Lamps
03-09-2008, 08:59 AM
I think they are... it was OSP who wanted to do the combo...

I've been running these
http://fstg.motosport.com/motographics/images/products/Metric/07tires/PR_DiabloStradaPair.jpg

they're a HUGE improvement over the stock dunslick 20hates... but that's not saying much

I'll give a better impression after September. they're sport touring so I hope to get some decent miles out of them

I just got the Diablos after being a longtime Bridgestone guy and I must say that i like them alot! I quit Pirelli when the first Diablos came out (I was +1 for the Dragons). I felt they were too "V"d in the front and my bike "fell" into corners. Anyway,I have about 500 miles on them so far and am happy with the grip and the feel provided. Hopefully,mileage won't be a problem.

Mr Lefty
03-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I just got the Diablos after being a longtime Bridgestone guy and I must say that i like them alot! I quit Pirelli when the first Diablos came out (I was +1 for the Dragons). I felt they were too "V"d in the front and my bike "fell" into corners. Anyway,I have about 500 miles on them so far and am happy with the grip and the feel provided. Hopefully,mileage won't be a problem.

which ones you running? I'm running the Strada's... their sport touring tire

Amber Lamps
03-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeh sorry,I'm using the "normal" ones. I thought about the Stradas but was concerned about grip and the multi compound tires were more money and not in stock at my dealer. Besides,I got the tires installed for $345 which included a dyno run. Thought I'd checkout the situation since I'd moved from Mi to NC.

OneSickPsycho
03-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Yeah, I plan on making a couple calls to Michelin before running that combo...

azoomm
03-09-2008, 10:29 AM

Sure. I might need closer to a group buy - I have to order at least six sets at a time. Right now I'm building my garage at the track (actually just getting permits for it) and when it's done I'll have storage. But, now I don't. So, plan ahead and let me know.

DLIT
03-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Sure. I might need closer to a group buy - I have to order at least six sets at a time. Right now I'm building my garage at the track (actually just getting permits for it) and when it's done I'll have storage. But, now I don't. So, plan ahead and let me know.

:dthumb:

Phenix_Rider
03-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Here's a review on the Conti Road Attack (http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/road-attack.php). I'm having a really hard time choosing here... Road 2s, Road Attack, BT021, Diablo Strada...:bash:

dReWpY
03-10-2008, 12:22 AM
i just put 200 twisty miles on my m3's 2up and they were great

Rider
03-10-2008, 08:05 AM
I love my PP's. They haven't failed me yet..

Phenix_Rider
03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I love my PP's. They haven't failed me yet..

I've heard they get "nervous" and "skittish" unless you have really good pavement "racetrack smooth." Anyway, mileage on them sucks...

Rider
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I've heard they get "nervous" and "skittish" unless you have really good pavement "racetrack smooth." Anyway, mileage on them sucks...

I dont find that to be true.. And mileage on such a sticky tire is expected to suck. Show me a tire that performs just as well but gets better mileage.

marko138
03-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Pilot Power. Period.

azoomm
03-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm really curious how hard people are riding, and what comparisons you've made to come to the decision of which you see is the *best*. I mean, it's kind of like what brand of glove you wear... or what kind of bike you ride. :shrug:

Personally, I love the way the Dunlops get up to temp... STICKY and really great feel. That is, until they start to go. Once they go, they are booger and snot... GONE.

The Pirellis don't ever seem to get to a temp that makes me trust them. Or, maybe they get to temp, but don't ever seem sticky. Well, in comparison anyway.

Michelins have always been more expensive and difficult to get. And, the reviews at the track here have been sketchy... so I haven't personally tried them.

With the options in front of me, Avon and Conti are out.

So, do you have more of a reason for buying the tires that you do... other than "because"? :)

marko138
03-10-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm really curious how hard people are riding, and what comparisons you've made to come to the decision of which you see is the *best*. I mean, it's kind of like what brand of glove you wear... or what kind of bike you ride. :shrug:

Personally, I love the way the Dunlops get up to temp... STICKY and really great feel. That is, until they start to go. Once they go, they are booger and snot... GONE.

The Pirellis don't ever seem to get to a temp that makes me trust them. Or, maybe they get to temp, but don't ever seem sticky. Well, in comparison anyway.

Michelins have always been more expensive and difficult to get. And, the reviews at the track here have been sketchy... so I haven't personally tried them.

With the options in front of me, Avon and Conti are out.

So, do you have more of a reason for buying the tires that you do... other than "because"? :)

Great question. I originally bought the Pilot Powers because they were all the rage. I love them. My bike turned in quicker. They come up to temp quickly. They inspire confidence. I've never felt them slide on me. Even when cold.

Then again I'm not Valentino Rossi....so I the tires are capable of more than I will ever give them.

azoomm
03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Great question. I originally bought the Pilot Powers because they were all the rage. I love them. My bike turned in quicker. They come up to temp quickly. They inspire confidence. I've never felt them slide on me. Even when cold.

Then again I'm not Valentino Rossi....so I the tires are capable of more than I will ever give them.

True enough, on your last statement... none of us are REALLY testing tires. And, I'm not really one to argue with someone's beliefs. I mean, trusting your tires is HUGE... and I won't mess with that. I guess I'm just curious if people have actually tried other tires, or did they get one they liked and just stuck with it.

marko138
03-10-2008, 11:47 AM
True enough, on your last statement... none of us are REALLY testing tires. And, I'm not really one to argue with someone's beliefs. I mean, trusting your tires is HUGE... and I won't mess with that. I guess I'm just curious if people have actually tried other tires, or did they get one they liked and just stuck with it.

I came from Dunlop 208's before the Michelins. I really hated them. They slid all the time. I had very little confidence with them. Didn't trust them at all. The PP's where a night and day difference.

I'm just saying that there are probly alot of people on this board that are faster than I am....but for what I do the PP's work. Even on the track. As I get faster on the track I'll move up to PP 2CT's or Pilot Race. But thats a while off.

05svr650
03-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I came from Dunlop Qualifiers. Spending every weekend riding "the dragon" you learn a lot about your tires and how they handle different situations. Me riding my SV650, I would have never thought I could slide my tires...wrong. After 2 or 3 spirited runs thru the 11 mile stretch I would start pushing the limits, the harder I pushed the more my rear would slide. I got to the point where I could dial a slide on any corner that I chose. Then came the day when they gave all they could give. I went down 2 times in one day. When the dunlops were finished they were finished, no signs nothing, just gone.

I've since switched to PP. These definately are not "dial a slide" tires. No matter how hard I try I can only slide them when they are not up to temp. Even then I get 4 small hops before they break loose. At this point in my riding abilities I am not able to push the PP's to their limits.

just my .02

Trip
03-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I had the q's stock on my RR. They pretty much slid no matter if you wanted them to or not. I hated those tires.

dReWpY
03-10-2008, 12:39 PM
i had dunlops on the zx6r and i slid on me in a couple turns and i lost all confidence in them, i bought a set of pp and never had a problem on them either from the zx6r or the torquey rc51 they held up well enough, i run 32 psi and get ~4k miles, i had to chose between dunlops and metzlers, i put on some miles at a brisk pace 2 up and never felt a hiccup or wiggle, but ill wait till i put some harder solo miles on it before the jury comes in on them and see how long they last to see if they are a viable option

marko138
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
i had dunlops on the zx6r and i slid on me in a couple turns and i lost all confidence in them, i bought a set of pp and never had a problem on them either from the zx6r or the torquey rc51 they held up well enough, i run 32 psi and get ~4k miles, i had to chose between dunlops and metzlers, i put on some miles at a brisk pace 2 up and never felt a hiccup or wiggle, but ill wait till i put some harder solo miles on it before the jury comes in on them and see how long they last to see if they are a viable option

Why run so low? I run the Pilots at 37 front and rear with no slide issues.

dReWpY
03-10-2008, 01:42 PM
when i took the stt trackday they stated that was the perferred tire pressure for these tires, i tried it and it worked and i have experimented with other pressures and found 32 to be the magic number for me

Rider
03-10-2008, 01:44 PM
when i took the stt trackday they stated that was the perferred tire pressure for these tires, i tried it and it worked and i have experimented with other pressures and found 32 to be the magic number for me

32 in the PP's is perfect for my style of riding.

azoomm
03-10-2008, 01:44 PM

I run 32 on the track... but I wouldn't run that on the street...

dReWpY
03-10-2008, 01:45 PM
i do bump it up for my touring adventures though

marko138
03-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I ran my PP's at 28 for the track. They stuck like glue. 37 on the street and you're the golden goose.

Rider
03-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I ran my PP's at 28 for the track. They stuck like glue. 37 on the street and you're the golden goose.

32 works for me, but I ride real aggressive for the street. I know a track day will change that though.

marko138
03-10-2008, 02:31 PM
32 works for me, but I ride real aggressive for the street. I know a track day will change that though.

Ever run them higher?

Rider
03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Ever run them higher?

I ran them at 36 when I first got the bike. It seems to stiff for me(My forks are non adjustable) so less tire pressure gives me a better ride.

marko138
03-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I ran them at 36 when I first got the bike. It seems to stiff for me(My forks are non adjustable) so less tire pressure gives me a better ride.

I see. I ran them lower when I first got them. Then someone told me to increase the pressure. I get the same handling with slower wear.

Rider
03-10-2008, 02:38 PM
I see. I ran them lower when I first got them. Then someone told me to increase the pressure. I get the same handling with slower wear.

How many miles? I'm at 4500 and due for a new rear tire in less than 1000 miles, maybe even 500.

marko138
03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
How many miles? I'm at 4500 and due for a new rear tire in less than 1000 miles, maybe even 500.

I'm at about the same miles. But I dont need a new one yet. I can get this season out of it....but with a couple track days it'll probly be spent.

But no track days...this thing lasts until next season easy.

marko138
03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Here's how they looked after the track last year.

DLIT
03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I run mine at 34f/36r.

ceo012384
03-11-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't have any basis to compare, but I know that my dunlops that came with the bike are not very good compared to what I'm going to replace them with.

I've got 3 track days and 3500-4000 miles on these dunlops... they are toast.

I have a pair of diablo corsa III's ready to go, just gotta throw 'em on. I think I might stretch the dunlops out till a little closer to when I go to the track, don't wanna kill the profile at all.
I run mine at 34f/36r.

That's pretty high for the track, especially for PP's, no? I think someone told me a michelin rep told them to run like 26/29 or something like that.

DLIT
03-11-2008, 05:50 AM
I don't have any basis to compare, but I know that my dunlops that came with the bike are not very good compared to what I'm going to replace them with.

I've got 3 track days and 3500-4000 miles on these dunlops... they are toast.

I have a pair of diablo corsa III's ready to go, just gotta throw 'em on. I think I might stretch the dunlops out till a little closer to when I go to the track, don't wanna kill the profile at all.

That's pretty high for the track, especially for PP's, no? I think someone told me a michelin rep told them to run like 26/29 or something like that.

I think I went down to 32/34 at the track. I like the higher pressure better. There's more weight pushing on that tire than a 170lbs rider. The extra pressure is better for me. I run my Pilot Races lower though.

marko138
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I think I went down to 32/34 at the track. I like the higher pressure better. There's more weight pushing on that tire than a 170lbs rider. The extra pressure is better for me. I run my Pilot Races lower though.

What do you weigh?

dReWpY
03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
i know i hit the scales at a not so slim 212#

Amber Lamps
03-11-2008, 12:55 PM

Not that anyone cares for my 2 cents but,I also always ran higher pressure at the track. I felt that the bike turned in slower at lower pressure plus my fat ass needed all the corner speed I could get. Heck,on the street I run 42 rear/36 front and check it every time I ride to make sure it's right. I'm one of thse retards that can tell if my tires are off a couple lbs.

dReWpY
03-11-2008, 12:57 PM
nothing wrong with being in tune with your bike, the samething doesnt work for everyone esp when it comes to bike setup and tire pressures

Rider
03-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Not that anyone cares for my 2 cents but,I also always ran higher pressure at the track. I felt that the bike turned in slower at lower pressure plus my fat ass needed all the corner speed I could get. Heck,on the street I run 42 rear/36 front and check it every time I ride to make sure it's right. I'm one of thse retards that can tell if my tires are off a couple lbs.

That because of the big curb squirrels I've seen you have on the back. :lol:

Just fucking with you Lon :twfix:

Amber Lamps
03-11-2008, 01:06 PM
That because of the big curb squirrels I've seen you have on the back. :lol:

Just fucking with you Lon :twfix:

Oh yea? Well I don't have a snappy comeback to that right now except... I guess I'll go ride my bike since it's 60 degrees outside! So ...:gofurslf:

azoomm
03-11-2008, 01:11 PM

Wow, really? Am I to assume you don't use tire warmers?

I haven't gone back through this thread to see if you've already stated what tire you prefer... which make/model?

marko138
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM

I can tell a few pound difference as well...however, I didn't notice a slower turn in with the lower pressure. And I was 9 pounds lower front and rear.

Amber Lamps
03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I can tell a few pound difference as well...however, I didn't notice a slower turn in with the lower pressure. And I was 9 pounds lower front and rear.

Yea it's probably just me. It feels funny to me so I'm more tentative in the corners.:idk:

Oh AZ I'm a bit of a slut when it comes to tires. I've tried them all just about! I'll probaby stick with the Pirellis for now. They're cheap and handle plenty good enough for my current level of riding(read:old and slow).

azoomm
03-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Yea it's probably just me. It feels funny to me so I'm more tentative in the corners.:idk:

Oh AZ I'm a bit of a slut when it comes to tires. I've tried them all just about! I'll probaby stick with the Pirellis for now. They're cheap and handle plenty good enough for my current level of riding(read: old and slow).

Eh, being fast isn't all it's crapped up to be - I'd rather be slow and smoothe anyday.

You're at the top of the bracket for tire pressure that's even recommended by Pirelli (the chart is from their full line technical spec PDF). With the temps on the roads in your area, I can't help but think the pressure is MUCH greater as you ride through the day... if it works for you, then it works for you... but, it could present a safety issue.

Amber Lamps
03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Eh, being fast isn't all it's crapped up to be - I'd rather be slow and smoothe anyday.

You're at the top of the bracket for tire pressure that's even recommended by Pirelli (the chart is from their full line technical spec PDF). With the temps on the roads in your area, I can't help but think the pressure is MUCH greater as you ride through the day... if it works for you, then it works for you... but, it could present a safety issue.

interesting but the pressure I run is what was recommended by Suzuki in the manual so :idk:

marko138
03-11-2008, 03:49 PM
interesting but the pressure I run is what was recommended by Suzuki in the manual so :idk:

Yeah but that is OEM tire. Are you still running OEM?

Amber Lamps
03-11-2008, 03:54 PM

A very good point...:idk: NOW I'm used to it and happy so FUCK OFF!!! Just kidding! I'll look into but I definetly don't see a safety issue here over two lbs...I hope!

Rider

Plus I think that number is in case you want ride 2 up.

azoomm

Bridgestone are OEM ;)

Amber Lamps
03-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Bridgestone are OEM ;)

True but I was using the 001s and not the BT14s. Plus,Bridgestone makes a model specific tire for the GSXR, if you want to split hairs,so what if you don't want to spend the extra money for the OEM? I'm also thinking about going to the 200 series tire next time and see what happens. Hey that's what they run in WSB! (yea I know,I'm a "fanboy")

marko138
03-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Whatever works for you, guy.

azoomm
03-11-2008, 03:59 PM
True but I was using the 001s and not the BT14s. Plus,Bridgestone makes a model specific tire for the GSXR, if you want to split hairs,so what if you don't want to spend the extra money for the OEM? I'm also thinking about going to the 200 series tire next time and see what happens. Hey that's what they run in WSB! (yea I know,I'm a "fanboy")

No, the point is... it's a different tire.

Bridgestone has their recommendations. Pirelli has theirs. Since you are running the latter, I would say go with their recommendations on tire pressure over what Suzuki would say about a different brand tire.

ceo012384
03-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Plus I think that number is in case you want ride 2 up.
Yeah, the 42 in the rear sounds really high, and probably for 2up.

For example, my manual says 36/36 and 36/42 for 2up.

I run 30/30 at the track and 30-32 if I know I'll be hitting twisties. Normal street riding I use 36/36. I'll have to see what changes when I put on the corsa III's... can't wait.

Amber Lamps
03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
No, the point is... it's a different tire.

Bridgestone has their recommendations. Pirelli has theirs. Since you are running the latter, I would say go with their recommendations on tire pressure over what Suzuki would say about a different brand tire.

ok I'll look into but if you check Bridgestones site,I bet they don't recommend 42 lbs at the rear either. Unless you can pull a chart for my exact bike,my weight and height,and my riding style/conditions. I'm not sure what good it'll do BUT I honestly appreciate you input. It's just that this is the third GSXR1000 I've owned(since the '01) and I've always run my tires this way. It's what I'm used to. I set my suspension up for it,had to change alittle for the Pirellis,I don't know if I can change now.

azoomm
03-11-2008, 04:50 PM
ok I'll look into but if you check Bridgestones site,I bet they don't recommend 42 lbs at the rear either. Unless you can pull a chart for my exact bike,my weight and height,and my riding style/conditions. I'm not sure what good it'll do BUT I honestly appreciate you input. It's just that this is the third GSXR1000 I've owned(since the '01) and I've always run my tires this way. It's what I'm used to. I set my suspension up for it,had to change alittle for the Pirellis,I don't know if I can change now.

I bet I can find a chart... but NOW I don't have the time LOL

Here is what I DO know... recommendations are just that. Something that worked for a plethora of people, but might not work for every individual. They are powerful suggestions. That being said, I wouldn't venture too far out of that range as then it becomes a safety issue (exploding tires are BAAAD).

I was talking with my suspension guy. He tweaked my suspension for my weight and size... I HATED it. I have been used to riding bikes sprung for 200+ pound men, I'm obviously NOT that. But, I have adapted my riding style to fit the machine. Now, I'm re-learning how to ride with a bike fitted to ME. I'm giving it a shot, and if it is too much of teh suck I'll put it back the way it was. :shrug: So, I know exactly what you mean.

Phenix_Rider
08-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Interesting topic, tire pressure.

I'm slowing gaining experience- mostly from the Roads I just took off. I tried them at max pressure from the sidewall (42psi) and they didn't stick at all- but they didn't wear either. Tried them at 5psi above stock (37/41) and they felt like shit, tried them at stock and they still didn't feel right (32/36). Finally settled on 3psi below stock (29/33) and they felt ok, but wore fast.

Just put on a set of Pirellis (diablo front, rosso rear) and they feel great at 32/36. Which is what the shop put them at, and is stock pressure for the bike.

Trip
08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Interesting topic, tire pressure.

I'm slowing gaining experience- mostly from the Roads I just took off. I tried them at max pressure from the sidewall (42psi) and they didn't stick at all- but they didn't wear either. Tried them at 5psi above stock (37/41) and they felt like shit, tried them at stock and they still didn't feel right (32/36). Finally settled on 3psi below stock (29/33) and they felt ok, but wore fast.

Just put on a set of Pirellis (diablo front, rosso rear) and they feel great at 32/36. Which is what the shop put them at, and is stock pressure for the bike.

Run about 36-35 commuting

31-30 twisties

track can get off the wall I usually run around 26-21

dReWpY
08-14-2008, 05:15 PM

31-30 twisties

+_1

Smittie61984
08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
I have a PP2ct front an a PP rear I got at Deals Gap when my PP Race take off started showing bands. The PP probably has 3500 on it now and is just below the indicators but I'm going to squeeze another 1000 out of the tires. But I love how they hook up. Not that I'm pushing them to the limits but one thing I do like is knowing my tires won't be to blame if I screw up.

My next tire since I'll mainly be doing commuting (From home, to school, to work, and then home) will be Pilot Roads2 which are suppose to have Pilot Road centers with regular PP sidewalls. But once my PP2ct Front wears out I'll look into other tires.

On my old SecaII I got some Bridgestone Battlax tires (BT21 I believe) that were pretty nice and lasted a long time (Even after I sold it an they rarely saw sidewall action).

azoomm
08-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh shit... just tried the new Bridgestones, BT003R's. FUCKING AMAZING. I went with a medium front and hard rear, perfect combination.

t-homo
08-16-2008, 09:36 PM
I just ordered a set of Diablo Rossos yesterday. Hopefully I can have them on in a week or so, then tell my initial thoughts.

ceo012384
08-16-2008, 10:16 PM

31-30 twisties

I do something similar for commuting and twisties.

For the track I monitor my hot temps though, not cold... hot temps are more important.

For example pirelli vendor told me you want around 32-33 hot... I ended up needing to put them around 27 cold... this is obviously very dependent on ambient and track temps.

Phenix_Rider
08-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I just ordered a set of Diablo Rossos yesterday. Hopefully I can have them on in a week or so, then tell my initial thoughts.

I put on another 50 miles or so today. They seem to heat up fast, and grip really well. I'm wishing for more feedback from the front Diablo, but I'll bump the pressure 1-2 psi and see how it goes. Don't want them heating up too much either. Sooo much nicer than the Pilot Roads. Much more fun riding when I don't have to worry about the front disappearing on an easy corner.

Amber Lamps
08-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I put on another 50 miles or so today. They seem to heat up fast, and grip really well. I'm wishing for more feedback from the front Diablo, but I'll bump the pressure 1-2 psi and see how it goes. Don't want them heating up too much either. Sooo much nicer than the Pilot Roads. Much more fun riding when I don't have to worry about the front disappearing on an easy corner.

Pirelli FTW If I didn't already have two sets of Diablos, I'd be getting the Rossos myself (I still might!).

Amber Lamps
08-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Oh shit... just tried the new Bridgestones, BT003R's. FUCKING AMAZING. I went with a medium front and hard rear, perfect combination.

Yea things are really changing,which is actually normal for motorcycle tires! What was the shit yesterday,is shit today! I've heard nothing but good things about the new gen Bridgestones.

Phenix_Rider
08-17-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm thinking about a sporty set of Bridgestones next- 014s or 016s maybe, but def. not 021s. I've heard they have more front end feel because of a slightly stiffer carcass.

Trip
08-17-2008, 08:17 PM
I do something similar for commuting and twisties.

For the track I monitor my hot temps though, not cold... hot temps are more important.

For example pirelli vendor told me you want around 32-33 hot... I ended up needing to put them around 27 cold... this is obviously very dependent on ambient and track temps.

that's why my track pressure is such a huge range compared to the other two

marko138
08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I ran 38 front and rear on my PP's. I think I ran 30 or 32 at the track with them.

I run the Corsa III's at 38 as well.

Cutty72
09-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Just threw on PP's on the Buell. Set them at 36/36 for now, we'll see how it feels after a real ride.

Took it out down the road a couple miles. Just weaving back and forth in my lane at speed I can tell the difference between Corsa III's and the PP's. PP's have a much faster turn in, not the linear constant change like the corsa's.

Also, from just doing that, I almost got the rear tire edge to edge. :panic: Tire profiles make a big difference as to how they wear i guess.

Phenix_Rider
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Just ran the Diablo and Rosso at the track. Very nice at 30 front, 32 rear (hot). From the wear and balling, looks like they were at perfect temp and pressure. No slip at all, even in the mist we got. I need to work on a lot of things, but these tires are great. I love the linear turn in.

Amber Lamps
09-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Just ran the Diablo and Rosso at the track. Very nice at 30 front, 32 rear (hot). From the wear and balling, looks like they were at perfect temp and pressure. No slip at all, even in the mist we got. I need to work on a lot of things, but these tires are great. I love the linear turn in.

Pirelli Rosso's......:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::d rool::drool::drool::drool:

Phenix_Rider
09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Pirelli Rosso's......:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::d rool::drool::drool::drool:

:rockwoot: :lol:

The real test will be how long they last commuting.

t-homo
09-08-2008, 03:18 PM
:rockwoot: :lol:

The real test will be how long they last commuting.

Ebbs has a set on. Ask him once he and rae get done with whatever they and doing and get on here.

Mr Lefty
09-08-2008, 04:51 PM
no... I have the Diablo Strada's... the sport touring ones... and after 1500 miles of freeway... and 500 twistys... they're just very slightly flat spotted...

I'm very pleased with them so far...

t-homo
09-09-2008, 02:39 AM
no... I have the Diablo Strada's... the sport touring ones... and after 1500 miles of freeway... and 500 twistys... they're just very slightly flat spotted...

Ok nevermind. I read it wrong. I have Diablo Rossos. I only have like 20 miles on em so far.

Amber Lamps
09-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Ok nevermind. I read it wrong. I have Diablo Rossos. I only have like 20 miles on em so far.

If I hadn't gotten those sets of normal Diablos so cheap,I'd rockin' Rossos right now baby!!! Did I mention....:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::dro ol:

Phenix_Rider
09-09-2008, 08:03 AM

If I hadn't gotten those sets of normal Diablos so cheap,I'd rockin' Rossos right now baby!!! Did I mention....:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::dro ol:

It was a mistake on the distributor's part that led to the Diablo and Diablo Rosso going on mine. I wanted the Stradas, but they got a rear Strada and a front Diablo in. So I opted to go with the Rosso on the rear to match the softer compound.

Only about 500 miles total on them- with 100 or so being track. Not enough to see any flat spot.

azoomm
09-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Holy crap... I have to say, just put a new set of BT003R's on the bike for the trackday yesterday. Medium Front - Hard Rear. And... WOW!!! They are fantastic.

Phenix_Rider
09-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I saw a set of Conti Race Attacks shred themselves over the weekend. One of th local guys runs in NESBA A. He totaled his 636, and found a GSXR600 with the RAs. The right side of that rear looked horrible after a couple sessions. He fiddled the suspension and changed pressures, but it didn't help. Bought a set of Pirelli SuperCorsa Pros and they looked fantastic after a couple more sessions.

Cutty72
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Ok, finally got to go for a bit of a ride yesterday. It is ND, so no twisties, but a few corners and a couple on ramps :lol:

The PP's stick well, and turn in super quick, but feel almost twitchy when going straight.
I can see where they would be a great tire on most bikes, and depending on how they wear, I may try them again, but with the Buell's aggressive geometry, not the most stable tire at speed.

jtemple
09-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm really leaning toward Pilot Road 2's. I'm looking for a compromise between cornering ability and mileage. We don't have super tight twisties around here. Think 90+ mph in turns without really leaning all that far. Are there any other recommendations?

Dnyce
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
bikebandit has pp on sale, 155 for a 180mm rear, 120ish for a front

Cutty72
09-09-2008, 10:14 PM
bikebandit has pp on sale, 155 for a 180mm rear, 120ish for a front

sportbiketrackgear still cheaper. $256.95 for the pair, shipped.

JoJoYZF
09-09-2008, 11:34 PM
sportbiketrackgear still cheaper. $256.95 for the pair, shipped.

Derbycycles.com has them for 229 but with shipping itll be pretty close.

Dave
09-10-2008, 12:33 AM
im on the old pilot sports. really like em. never slip not even if i catch a bump mid corner. im looking forward to powers though.

i know in cars some guys air up with nitrogen. is that done in bikes too? some decent advantages

Dnyce
09-10-2008, 12:52 AM
im on the old pilot sports. really like em. never slip not even if i catch a bump mid corner. im looking forward to powers though.

i know in cars some guys air up with nitrogen. is that done in bikes too? some decent advantages

i hear of car guys doin it too, dont know any bikers doin it.

t-homo
09-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Got to have a decent ride on the Rossos tonight. Night and day difference between them and the old shinkos. They turn in very quick, and feel very comfortable going through twisties. I'll be able to tell you some about wear after this weekend.

Cutty72
09-11-2008, 03:15 AM

Depends on how often you change your tire pressure, and where you are doing it. Not many places (around here anyway) offer nitrogen.
Air is just so much more convenient.

No Worries
09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Air is 78 percent nitrogen. With two bikes, a car, a truck, and an RV, my air compressor gets a good workout.

CW AF 03
09-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I used Pilot Powers on my first track day in Oct 06. They felt good, but I wasn't pushing at all. When I started riding track a lot I moved to Power Race. They were good until I started getting faster. The carcass is somewhat soft so I didn't have as much front end feel as I like. I switched to Dunlop 209's and it was night and day! They heat up quick, stick very well, and a predictable when they start sliding. The 211 is just bonkers for a DOT race tire! Ridiculously good for something with tread! When I got my 1098 it came with Supercorsa Pro's that were ok but softer than the Michelins so the bike was very vague mid corner. Those lasted 2 trackdays... Since then, I moved to Dunlop slicks in a 125/75 front and 195/65 rear. Holy crap! They are tall enough that I've ground my toe sliders off, and it's actually hard to get them to break traction. Even on the 1098 the rear hardly ever spins and there is no front end drama no matter how hard I get on the brakes (assuming the rear tire is still on the ground...)