PDA

View Full Version : I hate that I'm responsible...

Captain Morgan
03-07-2008, 09:05 PM
If I weren't responsible, I could cash in my retirement savings and my emergency fund, pay off all my debt, and have enough left over for a down payment on a bike. Granted, my interest rate on my debt is probably lower than I'd get on a bike, so I'd just buy the bike outright.

But my point is that I'd still be in debt, not have any emergency fund and not have a retirement fund of any kind. I know what I WANT to do because I really want a bike, but I'm too damn practical so I know what I'm GOING to do, which is keep grinding away at this debt until it's gone, while still building up my retirement and emergency funds. Once all of the debt is gone, I will look at buying a bike. Ugh, responsibility sucks donkey dick! Wait a minute. Scratch that, cause I said I'm responsible. I DON'T suck donkey dick! :lol:

vabarber2
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
But being responsible will pay off for you in the long run!! Just hang in there bro! Good Job & Good Luck!!

NONE_too_SOFT
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
yep, and when you look back what are you going to think? obviously your answer will be "im glad i prepared for the future"... and thats not a bad response.

dont beat yourself up over it, your priorities arent wack.

Mr Lefty
03-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I hear ya Cap... I try to keep that fund out of my mind... but once a quarter I get a statement... fuck what I could do with 15G's... (decent considering I've only been saving for 6 years)

but naw... no matter how you put it... motorcycles are luxuries and not necessities in my mind... so they're no reason to jeopardize my future...

:luck: on getting one of those jobs your looking at though!!!

Captain Morgan
03-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I hear ya Cap... I try to keep that fund out of my mind... but once a quarter I get a statement... fuck what I could do with 15G's... (decent considering I've only been saving for 6 years)

but naw... no matter how you put it... motorcycles are luxuries and not necessities in my mind... so they're no reason to jeopardize my future...

Well, i have almost 14 between retirement and emergency fund, but just over 11 in debt. Stupid attempt at being an insurance agent and spending everything I had and more, but only earning commission. The difference is you have a bike. I'd say you're in a better position than I am.

Mr Lefty
03-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Well, i have almost 14 between retirement and emergency fund, but just over 11 in debt. Stupid attempt at being an insurance agent and spending everything I had and more, but only earning commission. The difference is you have a bike. I'd say you're in a better position than I am.

true... I won't argue with ya there... but you will too.. I'm gonna say with in the next 2 years... :dthumb: and I'm almost always right... cept when I'm wrong

fatburg
03-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Don't forget to take out the 20% penalty and taxes...that makes your 14 about 7...suck.

I've done the math several times, I can cash one of my retirement accounts out and pay off everything but my house. Of course if I hold on a little longer, I can open my gym and borrow against my retirement penalty free.

Mr Lefty
03-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Don't forget to take out the 20% penalty and taxes...that makes your 14 about 7...suck.

I've done the math several times, I can cash one of my retirement accounts out and pay off everything but my house. Of course if I hold on a little longer, I can open my gym and borrow against my retirement penalty free.

for me yes... but if his "emergency fund" and retirement are not in 401K's then he doesn't have that penalty...

Dave
03-07-2008, 11:32 PM
i'll admit all the times ive stayed in to save cash while my friends were out partying sucked! but its a fucking fantastic feeling being a homeowner at 26. really seems to blow peoples minds too, especially girls lol

Captain Morgan
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM

for me yes... but if his "emergency fund" and retirement are not in 401K's then he doesn't have that penalty...Well, only 5 is in a 401K, the rest is in a Roth IRA, so I'd be looking at more like 11 or 12 if I had to take it out.

I HOPE to never dip into the e-fund, so I put it in a Roth account to let it build up tax free. If I ever have to pull from it, I can do so without penalty, as long as I only take out my contributions. If I were to get into the earnings portion, then i'd have the penalty and taxes, but since I have other investments in there besides the cash portion for the e-fund, I don't see any reason why I'd get into earnings. That and the fact the market has taken a huge hit, so I really have no "earnings" to speak of right now. :lol:

Mr Lefty
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
i'll admit all the times ive stayed in to save cash while my friends were out partying sucked! but its a fucking fantastic feeling being a homeowner at 26. really seems to blow peoples minds too, especially girls lol

yeah my little bro has a house already... fucker is 25... bought it just after his birthday... I'm almost 28 and haven't bought one yet... then again... I'm in Korea :lol:

I will buy on when I get to CO though... can't wait!

Crazy
03-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I hear ya man... I know Im not one to talk, I don't even pay my own bills yet. but i'm taking the advice u gave me way back when and putting some of the money I have ($2K) towards a Roth IRA. 2k for a nicer bike or just mods is a lot but... I just wouldnt feel right about blowing it all on a bike.

Dave
03-08-2008, 12:14 AM
yeah my little bro has a house already... fucker is 25... bought it just after his birthday... I'm almost 28 and haven't bought one yet... then again... I'm in Korea :lol:

I will buy on when I get to CO though... can't wait!

yeah i pulled the trigger at 25 as well

ZukLady
03-08-2008, 12:20 AM
I plan on living with my mom forever....ive got the good life here, a huge house, yard, good area, plus i dont have to pay rent right now! Why on earth would i want to leave?!?!?

Mr Lefty
03-08-2008, 01:19 AM
I plan on living with my mom forever....ive got the good life here, a huge house, yard, good area, plus i dont have to pay rent right now! Why on earth would i want to leave?!?!?

:lol: ehhh I said that but my 'rents started try'n to put the kabosh on my sex life... :lol:

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Roles are reversed for me... My dad and step-mom are planning on living with me three months out of the year and will be payin' me rent. :nana:

Cap, you're pretty smart about money, but I can't help wondering... Have you done the math to see if it would make sense to use that money to pay off your debt, then combine what you are paying onto the debt and what you are contributing to your retirement to rebuild the IRA's? I'd have to imagine you are paying more in interest on your debt than you are making through the IRA's...

azoomm
03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Cap, you're pretty smart about money, but I can't help wondering... Have you done the math to see if it would make sense to use that money to pay off your debt, then combine what you are paying onto the debt and what you are contributing to your retirement to rebuild the IRA's? I'd have to imagine you are paying more in interest on your debt than you are making through the IRA's...

That's what I was thinking. Depending what kind of debt it is. I'm assuming it's credit card... anything over 10% and it should get paid down rather than putting that money away. That's what I did a few years ago, and the only debt my husband and I have are our house, car and truck. The house is at 4.75% - car and truck at .04%

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 09:14 AM
That's what I was thinking. Depending what kind of debt it is. I'm assuming it's credit card... anything over 10% and it should get paid down rather than putting that money away. That's what I did a few years ago, and the only debt my husband and I have are our house, car and truck. The house is at 4.75% - car and truck at .04%

.04%? :skep:

azoomm
03-08-2008, 09:24 AM
.04%? :skep:

Toyota... it was a 0% offering, but it's actually .04% It ROCKS. Though, you just about have to give them a blood sample to qualify.

OneSickPsycho
03-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Toyota... it was a 0% offering, but it's actually .04% It ROCKS. Though, you just about have to give them a blood sample to qualify.

That's INSANE.

DLIT
03-08-2008, 10:12 AM

They're a necessity in my mind. I'm banking on winning the lottery for the rest.

Captain Morgan
03-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Roles are reversed for me... My dad and step-mom are planning on living with me three months out of the year and will be payin' me rent. :nana:

Yes. I've considered it, but I have low interest debt. $3K is at 6% until paid off, the rest is at 0% (4K till October, the rest until it's paid off, which means minimum payments forever. :lol: ). If I don't get the opportunity for 0% again by October to transfer what's remaining of the 4K, I'll consider using most of the emergency fund to get rid of it cause it will go up to 10%.

I had been earning very close to the 6% on my e-fund, but then the fed stepped in and stopped that by lowering rates. I have recently been considering taking that money out to pay off the 3K, but I got into this debt situation to begin with because I didn't have an emergency fund. Right now, I'm of the mindset that I'd rather pay 3% to have the e-fund in place than get myself in the situation I was in a couple years ago and have been struggling to get out of ever since.

I've considered selling off the investment portion of my Roth account and paying off some of the debt, but now is the time to be investing since the market is in a slow cycle. Granted, everything I had put in during 2007 isn't doing squat, but I can decrease my average cost by investing now, thus making my gains greater when the market finally turns around. As much as I hate to say it, I'd be willing to bet the market gets down to the low 11's before it turns around again. Yeah, it sucks to invest in the 12's if it's going to the 11's, but there is no way to time it, so I just keep putting in a hundred every paycheck (2x per month). Eventually, it will turn around and with a lower average cost, I'll stand to make more in the long run.

But you guys are definitely thinking along the right lines. I'd pay off the debt if the interest rates were higher on it. I will have my e-fund where I want it very soon (3 months expenses), so I'll take the money that's going to that and put it toward some of my debt.

marko138
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Tapping into the retirement should be an absolute last resort for emergencies. The fact that you don't want to tap into it to buy a bike is both responsible and smart. Fuck that.