PDA

View Full Version : Wiki Helmets

Lamnidae
12-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Okay.

I guess it's about damn time I wrote up a good-n-proper review of the Wiki Wave 100.

http://www.wikidesigns.com/images/Wave-200x200.jpghttp://www.wikidesigns.com/images/Wave-Blk-web.jpg

I have the black one. If it wasn't for the flowers on the other (c'mon, man design, please?) I'd be totally rocking it... I love plumerias and other tropical flowers, but c'mon, this is not something I want to wear to work on Hawaiian Shirt Fridays....

But less I digest..... First off, what sold me on this helmet was the fact that it has a photochromatic shield....

"WTF Ambly, why do you use such big words?"

"Well it's simple my douche-nozzle, I do simply because I can."

Photochromatics / Photochromic.... capable of changing color on exposure to radiant energy (as light). Think of those nice nifty transition lenses, and you'll get the picture. This resolves the issue of having to carry around your eye-sight saving tinted shield during the day and a clear/yellow shield for night time riding.

Overall build quality - I'd have to give this one an A. The helmet isn't too heavy so it doesn't feel like a brick on your head. Vents open/close quite firmly. Foam does'nt break down too fast (btw, real f'king tight the first while you wear it to break it in, almost like one size too small tight)... Finish is nice and solid. Slight issue w/ the first shield though, which I'll bring up in a moment.

Sound - B- Okay, so it's my own fault I ride a Hayabusa... I guess they're not used to this thing having wind wrap around it at 150MPH+ so there's a lil' more wind nose than I had w/ my old Shoei... but granted, I didn't pay Shoei prices for this little treasure, either. Engine noise.... well, yeah you can still hear it, but that's what earphones/earplugs are for, right?

Comfort - A fits real well... foam padding is good and stays so for a while. Hell they even give you *extra* foam in the package to help adjust your fit

The shield.... A+ Definately A+ There's got to be something said about having a photochromatic ability that's not applied thru a stickie. This damn thing works.... I head out to the bike at the end of my work day... by the time I get to my bike it's mostly already shift, by the time I have the bike started, helmet on, gloves on, it's done and I'm ready to ride. Okay, first off, I did have a small problem with my first shield.... After a couple of months, it didnt' seem to "shift" anymore and just had this yellow tint to it.... Not quite right, expecially after just a couple of months.... So, onto my next bullet..

Here's a nifty as hell chart on some of the shifting properties and a comparison of the Wiki Shift shield and one of the tape photocromatic stickies (i think that's right).

http://www.wikidesigns.com/images/PS-graph.gifhttp://www.wikidesigns.com/images/Suz-at-LSGP07.jpg

Customer Service - If there was something higher than A+, the company would get it... They're pretty quick with emails and typically got back to me within 12 hours, though I did have to wait a day and a half once... However their staff is more than friendly and definately bring the Aloha spirit (god I miss the tropics) to customer service.... I wrote them and explained what was happening with the shield. They said they hadn't heard really of anything like that before (and well they might not have) but they immediately shipped me out a replacement medium smoke lense (dark smoke was on backorder). No questions asked, no issue w/ return shipment, whatever... Oh, guess what showed up today. My replacement dark smoke lense. Those guys and gals are on the ball and definately know that keeping a customer happy and doing the right thing (rather than some of the horror stories I've heard) is the way a business needs to be ran. TY Guys @ Wiki for the service.

So, overall:

Would I buy another/again? Definately
Would I recommend this product? Definately
Can you go wrong with a hot polynesian chick as your mascot? Definately NOT!

Price - Solid black $200.00
Purchased in Jan/Feb 2008
http://www.wikidesigns.com

It's definately a hell of a lot better deal than Tatter's ex wife....

Dnyce
12-30-2008, 10:14 PM
are they snell rated yet? i remember when they first came out(mainly for the shield) -wanted one, but no snell. no snell, i cant use.

i even liked the hawaiian tropical graphics lol

OneSickPsycho
12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
They need a new model... That bitch is fuckin' old and sick.

Dave
12-30-2008, 10:24 PM

you'd still put her in a hole, shush

Lamnidae
12-31-2008, 07:15 AM
are they snell rated yet? i remember when they first came out(mainly for the shield) -wanted one, but no snell. no snell, i cant use.

i even liked the hawaiian tropical graphics lol

Why if no Snell you can't use?

They're DOT and ECE....

I've read over and over the differences between the ECE and Snell tests.... Here, read up a lil' yourself. I dig the ECE rules for testing, Snell testing IMHO doesn't quite make sense.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

This better OSP?http://www.wikidesigns.com/images/Vortex-3.jpg

Dave
12-31-2008, 09:14 AM
mine!

Amber Lamps
12-31-2008, 09:16 AM
SURPRISE!!! I considered WiKi last year for the photochromatic lens but went with the Akuma instead. Besides,the helmets are basically KBC helmets and I don't like KBC's fit. Also,WiKi doesn't even pretend to manufacture lids,they are using the sale of the helmets to promote their shield. In fact,as I understand it,the SHIELD costs well over $100 leaving the helmet in the under $100 range.....:idk: I definitely want a color change shield but the problem has always been longevity. They just don't last! No one can seem to manufacture one that'll last more than a year or so.:sorry:

Dave
12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
SURPRISE!!! I considered WiKi last year for the photochromatic lens but went with the Akuma instead. Besides,the helmets are basically KBC helmets and I don't like KBC's fit. Also,WiKi doesn't even pretend to manufacture lids,they are using the sale of the helmets to promote their shield. In fact,as I understand it,the SHIELD costs well over $100 leaving the helmet in the under $100 range.....:idk: I definitely want a color change shield but the problem has always been longevity. They just don't last! No one can seem to manufacture one that'll last more than a year or so.:sorry:

i kinda surprised you didnt get one anyway since we all know you are a lid whore ;)

Trip
12-31-2008, 09:18 AM
snell sucks ass...

smileyman
12-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Great review Thanks Ambly! I love the photochromatic idea. I wish someone would perfect the product. But even at that for street or touring it is real cool. I am looking at the Wiki or one of the other brands that offers teh drop down smoke lenses inside the clear sheild...

Amber Lamps
12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
i kinda surprised you didnt get one anyway since we all know you are a lid whore ;)

Yea I called them and they just didn't seem all that interested in selling a helmet,you know? Besides,I didn't want an all black lid and the other one is kinda ummm....you know?

Dnyce
01-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Why if no Snell you can't use?

They're DOT and ECE....

I've read over and over the differences between the ECE and Snell tests.... Here, read up a lil' yourself. I dig the ECE rules for testing, Snell testing IMHO doesn't quite make sense.

snell sucks ass...

i've read about the difs between dot, ece, snell as well, but i'm not buying a helmet i cant use at the track...so no snell, no thanks. i'm not a lid whore like tig :lol:

i heard way back when, that wiki was gonna make shields for other helmets....guess that never happened.

Amber Lamps
01-01-2009, 06:16 PM
i've read about the difs between dot, ece, snell as well, but i'm not buying a helmet i cant use at the track...so no snell, no thanks. i'm not a lid whore like tig :lol:

i heard way back when, that wiki was gonna make shields for other helmets....guess that never happened.

Yea I'm done with all of these "start-up" helmet companies... Akuma still hasn't come out with either their photochromatic or their T.O.D. visor...:panic:

Now thet are coming out with this...supposedly...http://akumahelmets.com/products_gator-glass.php

Dave
01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
glowy?

Lamnidae
01-02-2009, 06:32 AM

Ahhhh didn't realise that was the case w/ Snell.

Yeah they were supposed to, and I asked, they said they were still trying to work out some deals between the other manufacturers.

Oh and the whole "shield won't last a year." That's about how often I go thru shields, w/ all the rocks and stuff that get kicked up on the roads it scratches 'em up pretty good and pretty quick.

Amber Lamps
01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Ahhhh didn't realise that was the case w/ Snell.

Yeah they were supposed to, and I asked, they said they were still trying to work out some deals between the other manufacturers.

Oh and the whole "shield won't last a year." That's about how often I go thru shields, w/ all the rocks and stuff that get kicked up on the roads it scratches 'em up pretty good and pretty quick.

Heck,you should be happy then. I had the same bitch with Arai and their $70 iridium shield that scratched 5 min after install :panic:

Amber Lamps
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Oh and here's the latest Akuma Tint On Demand set-up.... this is interesting at least....http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/akuma-gemini-aegis-visor/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qetd0ahrIRk

Mr Lefty
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
humm... interesting... be nice if they'd make visors for other companies... till then I'll have to stick to the fogcity inserts...

Lamnidae
01-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Heck,you should be happy then. I had the same bitch with Arai and their $70 iridium shield that scratched 5 min after install :panic:

Had an Iridium on my Shoei wa sa similar situation, I think I had it a day though.... sucks for you Tigger.

Dave
01-03-2009, 11:18 AM
interesting, looks to me like you could separate the tinting part and slap it on another visor pretty easy

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 11:59 AM
interesting, looks to me like you could separate the tinting part and slap it on another visor pretty easy

That's my feeling too. It looks universal but I guess this one is the proto-type so we'll see what shakes out but it would go well with my Shark helmet. :)

Dave
01-03-2009, 01:14 PM
five minutes and some dental floss and that sucker is gone

Lamnidae
01-04-2009, 01:24 PM
five minutes and some dental floss and that sucker is gone

if i had read that post by itself I woulda thought you were trying to be MacGyver escaping from some Kommie prison camp.

Amber Lamps
01-04-2009, 02:19 PM
if i had read that post by itself I woulda thought you were trying to be MacGyver escaping from some Kommie prison camp.

FUCK!!! Dave they are on to us!!! ABORT ABORT ABORT!!!!!:panic:

Yamerhaw
01-05-2009, 07:52 PM
i'm a helmet whore myself(10 of them), never heard of this Wiki, so pretty sure i dont want it protecting my head because the shield changes colors, me thinks i'll stick with the Shoei

Mr Lefty
01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
From what I've heard they're quality helmets... just cause you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're just flashy graphics and gimics... there are a few helmet co. that sell primaraly overseas... but are considered some of the best... Shark, Xlite(nolan), Schuberth, ect...

Lamnidae
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
i'm a helmet whore myself(10 of them), never heard of this Wiki, so pretty sure i dont want it protecting my head because the shield changes colors, me thinks i'll stick with the Shoei

Passes a lot of safety checks. So wtf man?

Yamerhaw
01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Passes a lot of safety checks. So wtf man?

from what i've read, seems like they are more interested in selling their shields than helmets, so if you like it, good, all that matters

Rider
01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Looks like a low end AGV knock off. :idk: