PDA

View Full Version : Sales Tax

Crazy
03-08-2008, 10:30 PM
If i buy a bike at a dealer in Indiana, since I'm out of state, they won't charge sales tax.

So when do I pay sales tax, and how much? or is it like when u buy things online and they ship from another state, u don't pay sales tax?

:idk:

Captain Morgan
03-08-2008, 10:43 PM
If i buy a bike at a dealer in Indiana, since I'm out of state, they won't charge sales tax.

So when do I pay sales tax, and how much? or is it like when u buy things online and they ship from another state, u don't pay sales tax?

:idk:

You'll pay sales tax when you register the bike in your state.

Crazy
03-08-2008, 11:00 PM
okay thats what I figured. but a friend of mine paid only $25 in sales tax, although she bought from a private seller. do they charge you full sales tax (6%) if you buy from a dealer and a smaller value if its private seller?

Okay I think i figured it out... it basically means that I pay 6.25% if I buy from a dealer (which is like $250), or $25 if I buy from an individual. that BLOWS donkey balls.

Captain Morgan
03-08-2008, 11:37 PM
okay thats what I figured. but a friend of mine paid only $25 in sales tax, although she bought from a private seller. do they charge you full sales tax (6%) if you buy from a dealer and a smaller value if its private seller?

Okay I think i figured it out... it basically means that I pay 6.25% if I buy from a dealer (which is like $250), or $25 if I buy from an individual. that BLOWS donkey balls.

Most likely, the private seller and your friend worked out a deal where they put a lower amount on the title, thus lowering the taxes. Happens all the time. Not that it's legal, but it happens all the time.

Crazy
03-08-2008, 11:51 PM
nope... i checked the documentation myself and it actually says its just a flat $25 for a private seller if its a motorcycle

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Publications/Sales/STS76.PDF
(page 20, bottom right)

well that kinda sucks cuz the bike i wanted is at a dealer. not a complete deal breaker....

Captain Morgan
03-08-2008, 11:59 PM
nope... i checked the documentation myself and it actually says its just a flat $25 for a private seller if its a motorcycle

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Publications/Sales/STS76.PDF
(page 20, bottom right)

well that kinda sucks cuz the bike i wanted is at a dealer. not a complete deal breaker....

Wow, you guys have some nice laws when it comes to licensing your vehicles.

Crazy
03-09-2008, 12:29 AM
heh... yeah its wierd I've never heard of sales tax being one small flat fee.
would be nice if i was buying from private. now I'm considering abandoning the bike i found. but it might be worth the extra to buy it frmo a reputable dealer.

Captain Morgan
03-09-2008, 01:07 AM
heh... yeah its wierd I've never heard of sales tax being one small flat fee.
would be nice if i was buying from private. now I'm considering abandoning the bike i found. but it might be worth the extra to buy it frmo a reputable dealer.

That's an oxymoron.

vabarber2
03-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow, you guys have some nice laws when it comes to licensing your vehicles.
Yup! Cause in VA its 10% no matter who you buy it from! $100 for every $1000! Such a fuking rip!