PDA

View Full Version : Your definition of full gear

lauralynne
01-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Personally, I dont' care what you ride in. It's not my skin, it's not mine to protect. But I'm wondering what people here consider "full gear".

Apoc
01-03-2009, 11:44 AM
helmet, jacket,jeans, gloves and boots...

tached1000rr
01-03-2009, 11:47 AM
helmet, jacket,jeans, gloves and boots...

I'd agree, but I want to get some leather pants soon.

SoFlaSV
01-03-2009, 11:49 AM
As long as you're wearing a condom, you're SAFE!!!

azoomm
01-03-2009, 11:54 AM
boots, moto pants, moto jacket, gloves, helmet

Or full suit, boots, gloves, helmet...

:dthumb:

Papa_Complex
01-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Full gear means FULL gear. That means every part of you is covered with some purpose-made piece of protective clothing. Jeans and jean jacket just doesn't cut it, by my definition.

Ninjakel
01-03-2009, 11:57 AM
around town, i ride in jeans,either leather or mesh jacket, gloves, helmet and either my sidi's or doc martens.

at the track or mountain riding, i wear full leathers,sidi's and helmet and gloves

Hondahugger
01-03-2009, 11:58 AM
As long as you're wearing a condom, you're SAFE!!!its always when you think something is safe when you find out that it couldn't be further from the truth.

I feel that there are 2 different kinds of full gear. Track full gear and street full gear.

Track is obviously full leathers. Street is jacket, lid, gloves, jeans and boots. I don't even like riding with Nikes or other tennis shoes. I prefer some sort of leather boots. Not really sure its going to make THAT much of a difference when I go down but I feel safer and more protected with boots vs Nikes.

quackPOT
01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Full gear to me means a motorcycle riding suit (1 or 2 piece), moto boots like Sidi/Alpinestar/etc. not steel toe work boots, moto gloves, and a full face helmet.

Anything less is not "full".

cuttle
01-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Full gear means FULL gear. That means every part of you is covered with some purpose-made piece of protective clothing. Jeans and jean jacket just doesn't cut it, by my definition.

agree.

Going on "rides" I wear full gear (I wear pads under the mx-pants), however I do commute in jeans...

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't know if this is just for the new people as we've already had this kind of poll...

For me it all depends on where I am and what I am doing as to how much gear I wear if any but "full gear" on the street for me is;

1. Full-face Helmet
2. Leather Jacket
3. Riding Boots
4. Riding Gloves
5. Icon Field Armor Knee Guards
6. Riding Jeans

Papa_Complex
01-03-2009, 12:12 PM
agree.

Going on "rides" I wear full gear (I wear pads under the mx-pants), however I do commute in jeans...

My commute is in heavy traffic and 30 miles or so each way, but I still wear either an Aerostich suit, full leathers, or occasionally a JR mesh jacket and ballistic pants. The last is a rarity because I don't feel comfortable with that low level of protection.

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 12:14 PM
agree.

YOU wear MX gear on the street?....:whistle:

MILK
01-03-2009, 12:18 PM
My commute is in heavy traffic and 30 miles or so each way, but I still wear either an Aerostich suit, full leathers, or occasionally a JR mesh jacket and ballistic pants. The last is a rarity because I don't feel comfortable with that low level of protection.

Yup. I wear my leathers to commute in. 50 miles one way, all highway speeds. The only time I ride in jeans is around town in my small town.

Smittie61984
01-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I consider this guy waaaaaaaaay too geared up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtofbxmlv8Y

I consider the 1st option "Full Gear" but I don't always go out in full gear. It's usually atleast a Jacket, Gloves, Full Face Helmet, Jeans and most of the time Shift riding shoes. But sometimes tennis shoes.

If I was at the beach cruising down the strip from a Hotel to McDonalds it wouldn't be beyond me to go out Flip Flops, no shirt, swim trunks and a Helmet.

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I consider this guy waaaaaaaaay too geared up...

I consider the 1st option "Full Gear" but I don't always go out in full gear. It's usually atleast a Jacket, Gloves, Full Face Helmet, Jeans and most of the time Shift riding shoes. But sometimes tennis shoes.

If I was at the beach cruising down the strip from a Hotel to McDonalds it wouldn't be beyond me to go out Flip Flops, no shirt, swim trunks and a Helmet.

Yea I agree with you. (BTW will everyone please quit posting this douche,ugh!) I've gone to Daytona with a "Gear-Nazi" before and had to laugh while he suffered in almost 90 deg weather doing 5 mph parade laps down and around the strip or up the beach. Shit Lollipops was about 7 blocks from the house we were renting and this mofo had us waiting while he geared up to go to the strip club! I mean more power to him but yeesh!

Sixxxxer
01-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Fuck you all, I ride Naked

Ninjakel
01-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Naked is the way to go!!!

Sixxxxer
01-03-2009, 12:37 PM
I figure its easier when I'm in the Mood to Fuck, Just hop off the bike and Start attacking bitches.

Ninjakel
01-03-2009, 12:38 PM
wow. Your skillls amaze and dazzle me :lol:

cuttle
01-03-2009, 12:39 PM
YOU wear MX gear on the street?....:whistle:

I ride a dualsport and we take the twisties to the FS roads... it's a toss up

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I figure its easier when I'm in the Mood to Fuck, Just hop off the bike and Start attacking bitches.

THANKS!! I just about choked on my Raisin Bran you FUCKER!!!

Sixxxxer
01-03-2009, 12:40 PM
wow. Your skillls amaze and dazzle me :lol:

Razzle Dazzle!!!!

THANKS!! I just about choked on my Raisin Bran you FUCKER!!!

:idk: I'm just telling it like it is :)

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I ride a dualsport and we take the twisties to the FS roads... it's a toss up

Yea I figured just busting your chops...although it has been my experience that MX pants aren't very effective on asphalt.... I'm just sayin'..

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Razzle Dazzle!!!!

:idk: I'm just telling it like it is :)

ATTENTION Trip...SIXXXXER is NOT allowed on ANY TWF group rides....EVER!!! ;)

Sixxxxer
01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Lol...I'll be the Fucking Leader

The Females will enjoy themselves...The rest of you...well, your beat

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Lol...I'll be the Fucking Leader

The Females will enjoy themselves...The rest of you...well, your beat

Riiiiggghhhhttt.....if you EVER want to see a rough corner pass on the street,put a naked DUDE out in front of me....

JARVIS518
01-03-2009, 12:50 PM
speedo, flip flops and sunglasses
even at night

Ninjakel
01-03-2009, 12:54 PM
with socks???

JARVIS518
01-03-2009, 12:55 PM
thats a given

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 12:56 PM
with socks???

Kevlar reinforced Fruit of the Looms baby!!!

JARVIS518
01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
nope walmart cheapies
but they have to be no shows

Ninjakel
01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
You are so gay, jarvis!

SoFlaSV
01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
speedo, flip flops and sunglasses
even at night

Now if you can get Vicki to do the same, I'll ride anywhere with you guys.:whistle:

JARVIS518
01-03-2009, 12:59 PM
You are so gay, jarvis!

if thats the case then why wouldnt u tell me leon's cousins name?

cuttle
01-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Yea I figured just busting your chops...although it has been my experience that MX pants aren't very effective on asphalt.... I'm just sayin'..

I'm aware off that - most of the time I wear textile riding pants, but on hot days and "more difficult" destinations the MX pants come out of the closet (adding the padding isn't very flattering for my hips though :whistle:)

Sixxxxer
01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Do they make your ass look big??

marko138
01-03-2009, 01:05 PM

I agree. Sorry, but jeans aren't 'gear'.

Gas Man
01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
This is me in FULL GEAR (besides I do have a nolan full face modular... so maybe its 90% full)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/TWF%20WOS%20Ride%20Oct%208th%202006/WOSTWF002.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/TWF%20WOS%20Ride%20Oct%208th%202006/mixed_008a.jpg

Normal gear for me is this

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/Ride%20for%20Ross%202008/029.jpg

Dave
01-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Yea I agree with you. (BTW will everyone please quit posting this douche,ugh!) I've gone to Daytona with a "Gear-Nazi" before and had to laugh while he suffered in almost 90 deg weather doing 5 mph parade laps down and around the strip or up the beach. Shit Lollipops was about 7 blocks from the house we were renting and this mofo had us waiting while he geared up to go to the strip club! I mean more power to him but yeesh!

exxactly! that would be like wearing leathers to myrtle bike week

lauralynne
01-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm just asking what people's definition is - not what you actually wear. I define "full gear" as moto specific gear covering 100% of my body. I have ridden in jacket/jeans combo but not often. I'm paranoid. But it's paid off. So far.
someone wise once told me "don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash"

Dave
01-03-2009, 01:20 PM
ahh but your mental state is perhaps even more important. spend all day thinking about crashing and you're gonna make it happen

Dnyce
01-03-2009, 01:43 PM
full gear is ce armored leathers(1pc or 2pc), ce back/chest protector, helmet, full gauntlet gloves, m/c specific boots. the definition of "full gear" shouldnt change because its a hassle, or time consuming, so you can still be able to say you wear full gear when you ride.

i voted for taters ho cuz it was a funny choice:dthumb:

Angee
01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree with those who said armoured gear from head to toe. I have armoured jeans for riding that are just loose enough I can wear jeans underneath. I don't ride solo yet, so no track leathers (just a leather armoured jacket). I have all weather gear, cold weather gear and mesh gear...too bad we have all that gear and no bike... :lol:

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 01:58 PM
full gear is ce armored leathers(1pc or 2pc), ce back/chest protector, helmet, full gauntlet gloves, m/c specific boots. the definition of "full gear" shouldnt change because its a hassle, or time consuming, so you can still be able to say you wear full gear when you ride.

i voted for taters ho cuz it was a funny choice:dthumb:

I agree with you here...the "definition" of full gear is always going to be a full leather suit,riding boots,gloves,helmet,etc. "Full gear" is what racers wear at the track and then it goes down from there...Plus,with the OP stating that she doesn't care what we actually wear...well,I'm not sure what the point of this thread was anymore.... I mean,I don't think anyone has argued what full gear is,the only difference is in what you actually wear to ride.:idk:

Papa_Complex
01-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I agree with you here...the "definition" of full gear is always going to be a full leather suit,riding boots,gloves,helmet,etc. "Full gear" is what racers wear at the track and then it goes down from there...Plus,with the OP stating that she doesn't care what we actually wear...well,I'm not sure what the point of this thread was anymore.... I mean,I don't think anyone has argued what full gear is,the only difference is in what you actually wear to ride.:idk:

A lot of people seem to think that "full gear" equates to jacket, gloves, and helmet. Seemed like a reasonable question to me.

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 02:26 PM
A lot of people seem to think that "full gear" equates to jacket, gloves, and helmet. Seemed like a reasonable question to me.

ALRIGHT! I feel an argument brewing....... There has been a great deal of discussion on the subject of whether perception=reality but I can't agree that the "definition" of something can be changed just to accommodate the whim of an individual. It's similar in scope to how people will justify driving after "only" having a "few" drinks. There is a recorded limit to how much you are legally allowed to imbibe and still operate a vehicle that doesn't change with anyone's opinion of what's safe or okay.

BTW I agree that it was a reasonable question until the OP came back and stated that she doesn't care what we actually wear but only in what we consider to be "full gear". As I've and a few others have said,I don't think that anyone will argue what "full gear" is by definition but there will be a vast difference in what each individual actually WEARS when they ride. In a perfect world,with ideal conditions and if I only rode my bike on the track or canyon carving,I would also ALWAYS wear full gear when I rode. Unfortunately,this is not the case and I ride my bike to the store,the mall,to work,to friends,to games,the club,doing "parade laps" around town,when it's 90+ deg with 90% humidity,etc and I won't always be able or willing to wear a full leather suit w/a back protector,boots,full gauntlet gloves,full face helmet,etc. Like I also stated before this subject has been beat to death on this forum and every other motorcycle forum since the invention of motorcycle forums. There is only one correct answer to what is full gear and many answers for what we actually wear.

Papa_Complex
01-03-2009, 02:47 PM
ALRIGHT! I feel an argument brewing....... There has been a great deal of discussion on the subject of whether perception=reality but I can't agree that the "definition" of something can be changed just to accommodate the whim of an individual. It's similar in scope to how people will justify driving after "only" having a "few" drinks. There is a recorded limit to how much you are legally allowed to imbibe and still operate a vehicle that doesn't change with anyone's opinion of what's safe or okay.

BTW I agree that it was a reasonable question until the OP came back and stated that she doesn't care what we actually wear but only in what we consider to be "full gear". As I've and a few others have said,I don't think that anyone will argue what "full gear" is by definition but there will be a vast difference in what each individual actually WEARS when they ride. In a perfect world,with ideal conditions and if I only rode my bike on the track or canyon carving,I would also ALWAYS wear full gear when I rode. Unfortunately,this is not the case and I ride my bike to the store,the mall,to work,to friends,to games,the club,doing "parade laps" around town,when it's 90+ deg with 90% humidity,etc and I won't always be able or willing to wear a full leather suit w/a back protector,boots,full gauntlet gloves,full face helmet,etc. Like I also stated before this subject has been beat to death on this forum and every other motorcycle forum since the invention of motorcycle forums. There is only one correct answer to what is full gear and many answers for what we actually wear.

I don't see why. The question is about perception, not whether perception = reality. For that purpose it doesn't matter whether perception and reality are the same thing.

There are a lot of people down there who are legally able to ride without helmets. Their perception of what 'full gear' is can be skewed. There may be some who believe that they are wearing full gear when they have a leather jacket on, but no helmet. It makes for an interesting dichotomy.

Then there are those who do most of their riding on the track. To them my Aerostich suit might not be considered full gear, because it isn't legal wear for most track organizations. If you aren't using a back protector, then they might not consider you to be wearing full gear.

Amber Lamps
01-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't see why. The question is about perception, not whether perception = reality. For that purpose it doesn't matter whether perception and reality are the same thing.

There are a lot of people down there who are legally able to ride without helmets. Their perception of what 'full gear' is can be skewed. There may be some who believe that they are wearing full gear when they have a leather jacket on, but no helmet. It makes for an interesting dichotomy.

Then there are those who do most of their riding on the track. To them my Aerostich suit might not be considered full gear, because it isn't legal wear for most track organizations. If you aren't using a back protector, then they might not consider you to be wearing full gear.

*sniff* *sniff*...do I smell "LOGIC"? No fair sir,you have completely derailed my argument with your underhanded use of logic! Well played!

I will,of course,defer to your well put statements on what a person's "perception" of what full gear may entail but I must still vehemently maintain that any one person's perception of what proper gear consists of will not in any way abrogate what full gear actually entails by "definition".

HRCNICK11
01-03-2009, 06:49 PM
For the record I have seen a few people crash in jeans and they only last about a foot of the slide so if you slide more than a foot you might as well be in shorts. Cotton is not safety gear its for comfort and Q-tips.

At the very least you should ride in the ripstop nylon stuff.

rogue
01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I ride with helmet, gloves, armoured jacket(s), and boots. I wear jeans and take the chance. I'm fine with that. I also make sure the jeans I wear are thick jeans, not those thin ones like most women's jeans seemed to be made lately. I know it doesn't offer much protection, but it still something between my skin and the pavement, regardless how long it may or may not last.

Mr Lefty
01-03-2009, 09:15 PM

:lol: ahh Tigger... I was just gonna say pretty much the same thing...

Full Gear is just that... FULL GEAR head to toe... HOWEVER... if I'm runn'n a short distance I'll throw on Jeans and maybe tennis shoes... I have squided and worn shorts... and fuck that... not again.:panic:

lauralynne
01-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread - they announced they crashed but were relatively ok - and for that I'm grateful. But it was stated that he had rash despite being "in full gear". I truly don't care what other people wear when they ride - I'm not here to judge. I was more curious what other people consider to be full gear. plain curiosity. No judging.

Cutty72
01-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Full Gear is just that... FULL GEAR head to toe... HOWEVER... if I'm runn'n a short distance I'll throw on Jeans and maybe tennis shoes... I have squided and worn shorts... and fuck that... not again.:panic:

Good choice loopy. :lol:

Mr Lefty
01-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread - they announced they crashed but were relatively ok - and for that I'm grateful. But it was stated that he had rash despite being "in full gear". I truly don't care what other people wear when they ride - I'm not here to judge. I was more curious what other people consider to be full gear. plain curiosity. No judging.
I think we're talk'n about "verbage" here... the question, I think should have been, how much gear is enough for you... :2cents:

I'm not sure how FULL GEAR can mean anything other than just that... completely geared up... :idk:

some people choose to just wear Helmet, Jacket, and gloves for their gear and some Jeans and boots or shoes... my self included sometimes... and that may be enough for them to feel safe enough to ride... but it's still not full gear by definition.

I was wearing A* Cargo's when I went down , some knee armor, and A* SMX4's... had I been wear'n jeans and tennis shoes I'd have a broken leg/ankle... and some nice rash...

marko138
01-04-2009, 09:28 AM

I wore shorts one time. Right before I sold the Zuk last year. I had just cleaned it and needed to take it for a shake down ride. Grabbed the helmet and gloves.

It was the WORST feeling ever! I dont know how people can ride with shorts.

Yamerhaw
01-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Full gear to me means a motorcycle riding suit (1 or 2 piece), moto boots like Sidi/Alpinestar/etc. not steel toe work boots, moto gloves, and a full face helmet.

Anything less is not "full".

yep

Yamerhaw
01-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Dress for the fall, not the ride!

Corey
01-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Oakleys, Reef Sandals with the bottle opener on the bottom in case i need to get my drink on, and a jock strap. Gotta protect my junk. I might get to use it for its intended purpose one day.

Sixxxxer
01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
I wore shorts one time. Right before I sold the Zuk last year. I had just cleaned it and needed to take it for a shake down ride. Grabbed the helmet and gloves.

I agree...The heat from the Engine made my Fucking Shins Feel like there were getting Ripped off at the Skin

Mr Lefty
01-04-2009, 04:37 PM

I agree...The heat from the Engine made my Fucking Shins Feel like there were getting Ripped off at the Skin

I did it in Indy... and though I caught a few little rocks on the shins... it was more the unsettle'n feeling I had... I'll carry a back pack and wear my shorts under pants next time...

I've ridden around the block with out gloves... and THAT feels weird... I don't like that feeling at all..

Sixxxxer
01-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Def...no Gloves feels HELLA Weird...I cant do it.

And I'll never wear shorts again...Ever.

Amber Lamps
01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I did it in Indy... and though I caught a few little rocks on the shins... it was more the unsettle'n feeling I had... I'll carry a back pack and wear my shorts under pants next time...

I've ridden around the block with out gloves... and THAT feels weird... I don't like that feeling at all..

I know,I had those pants that the legs zip off....AND they had cargo pockets to keep the legs in.

Mr Lefty
01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
intresting... what brand?

most of the time I ride to ride... but being as I'll be moving to a year round riding climate... I'll probably be riding for errands... it'd be nice to have something like that... probably still wear my knee/shin guards under.. :2cents:

OneSickPsycho
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
intresting... what brand?

most of the time I ride to ride... but being as I'll be moving to a year round riding climate... I'll probably be riding for errands... it'd be nice to have something like that... probably still wear my knee/shin guards under.. :2cents:

Not riding pants... just regular pants you get at Kohls or whatever.

Mr Lefty
01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
oh... ok... nm then...

figured Icon or someone would make something like this... I know Icon made a few jackets that the sleves zipped off...

OneSickPsycho
01-04-2009, 07:17 PM
oh... ok... nm then...

figured Icon or someone would make something like this... I know Icon made a few jackets that the sleves zipped off...

Shit... maybe then.

JARVIS518
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
i remember looking on ebay and seeing a pair that did it cant remeber if they were shift or icon and of course i cant find them now

Amber Lamps
01-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Shift. They have kevlar inserts and double denim in critical areas.

Mr Lefty
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
got pics? how do you like them?

JARVIS518
01-04-2009, 08:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHIFT-SQUADRON-MOTORCYCLE-PANTS-BLACK-US-34_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q3a2Q7 c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1 Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem37 0127300621QQitemZ370127300621QQptZApparelQ5fMercha ndise3+

here they are ebbs

Mr Lefty
01-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Cool... I'll check'm out when I get home... military doesn't like e-bay :lol:

JARVIS518
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
even cheaper here and different color options
http://www.denniskirk.com/1/3/shift-squadron-pants

Mr Lefty
01-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Score... nice

mstrkoffee
01-05-2009, 12:18 AM
1) Helmet
2) Jacket
3) Pants
4) Gloves
5) iPod
6) A big shit eating grin.

Mr Lefty
01-05-2009, 12:19 AM
no boots?:lol:

deals gap dragon slayer
01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Where's the option for 1pc leathers, back protector, helmet, boots, gauntlet gloves??

Mr Lefty
01-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Where's the option for 1pc leathers, back protector, helmet, boots, gauntlet gloves??

oh come on Rich Christensen we all know how you ride anyways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjCEPF4HGo

Rider
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Helmet, leather jacket, leather pants, leather gloves, over the ankle moto boots, and a back protector is full gear to me. You could even goes as far as adding knee braces and a neck brace to the list.

Amber Lamps
01-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Helmet, leather jacket, leather pants, leather gloves, over the ankle moto boots, and a back protector is full gear to me. You could even goes as far as adding knee braces and a neck brace to the list.

I have honestly never seen a "knee brace" for street riding...I'm not sure I've even seen a neck brace per se'...

Mr Lefty
01-05-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't think he mean a riding specific knee brace :lol:

and actually they make a riding neck brace... lots of the young riders have to wear them
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/11/29/ktm-and-bmw-introduce-motorcycle-neck-brace/

http://thekneeslider.com/images/neckbrace.jpg

Yamerhaw
01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
for those that dont think they need gear if just cruising the strip or going to the store, or if you'll only be doing 20 or 30mph, try this: set on your buddies truck tailgate in your t shirt and jeans, have him maintain a constant 30mph and then, jump off.... this will give you a good idea as to how well your jeans and skin hold up to the pavement

Amber Lamps
01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
for those that dont think they need gear if just cruising the strip or going to the store, or if you'll only be doing 20 or 30mph, try this: set on your buddies truck tailgate in your t shirt and jeans, have him maintain a constant 30mph and then, jump off.... this will give you a good idea as to how well your jeans and skin hold up to the pavement

Have you ever...skateboarded,rode a bicycle,sledded,etc? Don't tell me you were one of those pansies whose mom made them wear full gear to cross the street....

Phenix_Rider
01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Have you ever...skateboarded,rode a bicycle,sledded,etc? Don't tell me you were one of those pansies whose mom made them wear full gear to cross the street....

And remember how fucked up your knees. hands, face, etc. got? Who honestly rides anywhere below 35 mph?

"Full Gear" means race level boots,1piece/2piece leathers, gauntlet gloves, full face helmet, back protector, and maybe even a chest protector.

"Acceptable Gear" means leather work boots, riding jeans, armored jacket (preferably leather), gloves (always leather- no mesh or mechanics or fingerless), and a helmet (3/4, modular or full face- no beanie BS). Basically, if you don't wear this level of protection, I won't ride with you. I don't need to deal with extra gore because of your laziness/stupidity.

Mr Lefty
01-05-2009, 09:54 PM

but how often were you going 30mph on a bike and bailed? usually if I wrecked my bike it wasn't a "high speed" wreck... ya know? 30mph on a bike is still a decent pace.

I used to rollerblade back in my early teens... I actually would grab on to cars and sketch... well got pulled along and a buddy decided to gun it... I let go at what he said was 35 or so... felt like 120... ate shit and had some nice rash... still have a scar on my leg from it... and I had long shorts two shirts a hoody and gloves on... wore a few holes in my hoody and one all the way down to the 2nd shirt. lucky I didn't hit my mellon though...

fasternyou929
01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Wow, 9 pages on this and still going?

Personally (and anyone that disagrees is just being stubborn :)) I think the definition of "full gear" changes with context, like damn near every other word in the English language.

Had Curb (the inspiration for this thread) been riding at the track or canyon carving when he had his accident and said he was in "full gear", I would assume he meant a 1 or 2 piece leather suit, gloves, boots, helmet, and maybe a back protector.

Since he was riding to or from dinner when he had the accident, I would assume he meant helmet, jacket, gloves, and riding boots/shoes.

Curb
01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Since he was riding to or from dinner when he had the accident, I would assume he meant helmet, jacket, gloves, and riding boots/shoes.and jeans dan, don't forget the jeans :D

fasternyou929
01-05-2009, 11:47 PM
and jeans dan, don't forget the jeans :D

I wouldn't be caught riding behind you without them!

Amber Lamps
01-06-2009, 07:49 AM
I know what you are saying...I just like picking with the "gear nazis" that purpose that I'm an "idiot" if I don't wear full leathers to run to the post office.:stirpot:

Dave
01-06-2009, 09:55 AM
I know what you are saying...I just like picking with the "gear nazis" that purpose that I'm an "idiot" if I don't wear full leathers to run to the post office.:stirpot:

you do wear deer furs though

xx CURVE xx
01-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Whats so confusing about "FULL GEAR"? :idk:

marko138
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I have honestly never seen a "knee brace" for street riding...I'm not sure I've even seen a neck brace per se'...

Me either.

Rider
01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Me either.

Their mostly for offroading.

marko138
01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Their mostly for offroading.
I am picturing those shits that Linebackers used to wear. :lol:

Rider
01-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I am picturing those shits that Linebackers used to wear. :lol:

http://www.renegaderacing.com/store/media/TLD08SignLeattneckbrace.jpg

neebelung
01-06-2009, 10:34 AM
....that I'm an "idiot" if I don't wear full leathers to run to the post office.:stirpot:

:dvrofl: But you are, don'tcha know? ;)

z06boy
01-06-2009, 10:35 AM
For me on the street it's a full face helmet...motorcycle gloves...riding boots...jacket with CE-rated armor and Draggin' Jeans with added CE-rated knee and shin armor.

smileyman
01-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Priorities!
Head first
Back
Fingers/hands
Feet/ankles

I just saw a wonderful photo in Fast Bikes this month of what happened to a guy who's MC drug over his foot some distance. Gnarly.

Granted I take into account what I am doing. I am guilty of commuting in Helmet, Jacket, Gloves with Docker pants begging for Karma to skin me like a raccoon.

I have done touring in the above with jeans and boots, risking some abrasion but trying to hedge my bet by keeping my pace down to 70% of my limit.

If I am forseeing any form of testerone and adrenaline riding I have the leathers and back protector and my best helmet.

Amber Lamps
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Priorities!
Head first
Back
Fingers/hands
Feet/ankles

I just saw a wonderful photo in Fast Bikes this month of what happened to a guy who's MC drug over his foot some distance. Gnarly.

Granted I take into account what I am doing. I am guilty of commuting in Helmet, Jacket, Gloves with Docker pants begging for Karma to skin me like a raccoon.

I have done touring in the above with jeans and boots, risking some abrasion but trying to hedge my bet by keeping my pace down to 70% of my limit.

If I am forseeing any form of testerone and adrenaline riding I have the leathers and back protector and my best helmet.

Good post BUT when you are "taking your chances" you don't consider yourself to be in "full gear" correct? That's my only point,I don't think anyone thinks flip flops and a skull cap with a dot sticker on it is full gear but I've worn that to go to the beach in Daytona.

Amorok
01-12-2009, 04:56 PM
The military says full sleeves, long pants, boots that go over the ankle, full-fingered gloves, and a helmet is full gear.

fasternyou929
01-12-2009, 05:46 PM
The military says full sleeves, long pants, boots that go over the ankle, full-fingered gloves, and a helmet is full gear.

They also use a manually powered fastener driving impact device to drive nails. I use a hammer.

Military definitions don't count! :lol: