PDA

View Full Version : tire plugs

FuryThree
01-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Any shop down there plug tires?

LOZ
01-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Any shop down there plug tires?

I rode my gixxer with a 2 tire plugs, never gave me problems.

go to any random mom&pops tire shop and ask them to plug it. $5 make u holla.

:dthumb::rockwoot:

Moto Phil
01-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Not recommended for sport bike tires. :nono:

FuryThree
01-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I just need it to ride around sofla a bit while i'm there, then the bike is going up for 6 months and will get new kicks when i get back

JARVIS518
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
i have a plug in my bike dont even notice a difference
just do it urself

Dnyce
01-03-2009, 09:10 PM

psssht lol

Mudpuppy
01-03-2009, 11:04 PM

i agree

i would never plug a motorcycle tire.. little different in a car when you have several thousands pounds and 4 tires..

LOZ
01-03-2009, 11:06 PM
sometimes you just dont have $$$ to get a new tire so you gotta do what you gotta do :idk:

doug5336
01-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Bubble gum would work just as well.

Moto Phil
01-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Bubble gum would work just as well.

Well if your riding a Harley, just keep riding on the flat....... You'll never notice the difference.

FuryThree
01-04-2009, 11:15 AM
so anyone know any specific shops that do it.

Amber Lamps
01-04-2009, 02:33 PM

From Dunlop,

Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an innertube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair.

Only a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle tire dealer should perform repairs. Inspection of the tire and adequacy of repair becomes the responsibility of the person actually performing the repair and Dunlop does not warrant the results of a repair in any way. Combination patch/plug repair kits for use by the repair shop or dealer are available with accompanying instructions from companies such as:

Remarco Inc.
200 Paris Ave.
Northvale, NJ 07647
(201) 768-8100

Technical Rubber Co.
P.O. Box 486
Johnstown, OH 43031
(740) 967-9015

Tip-Top/Moto Combi Kit

Tech Uni-SealĀ® Repair Kit (Also has been marketed by Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha with their own part numbers.)

NOTE: There may be suitable repair kits and materials provided by manufacturers other than those listed above.

Before any repair should be attempted, however, a tire must be removed from the wheel and thoroughly inspected. The following are minimum guidelines for the repairer:

Tires should not be repaired if any of the following conditions exist:

1. A tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer.
2. The puncture is larger than 6mm (1/4") in diameter.
3. The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass.
4. The puncture is in the tire sidewall.
5. Separation of plies, tread separation, separation of any other components.
6. Cut or broken ply cords.
7. Broken or damaged bead wires.
8. Cut or damaged chafers (bead area).
9. Deterioration of the carcass inside the tire due to "run flat" or underinflation.
10. Cracks or other damage to the integrity of the inner liner.
11. Excessive wear - tire should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread depth, excluding tread wear indicators.
12. Cracks in sidewall or tread.
13. Impact breaks, cuts, snags or gouges that penetrate the surface.

NOTE:

1. There should be no more than one repair in any quarter of the tire and no more than two repairs per tire.
2. The wheel itself must be in good condition. Any cracked or bent wheel, however slightly, may allow the loss of air and cause subsequent deflation of the tire.
3. Following repair, the valve assembly should be replaced and the tire/wheel rebalanced.
4. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair.

In summary, NO form of temporary repair should be attempted. Motorcycle tire repairs leave no room for error and any doubt as to inspection or adequacy of repair should be resolved by discarding the tire.

Be sure to consult our Motorcycle Tire Limited Warranty, Care and Maintenance brochure for additional information regarding the use of Dunlop tires. Seek a qualified motorcycle tire repair center for more details. NEVER ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A DAMAGED TIRE WITHOUT THE AIDE OF AN EXPERIENCED TIRE MECHANIC.

Amber Lamps
01-04-2009, 02:36 PM
so anyone know any specific shops that do it.

If you bring the tire in off the rim,a lot of car tire places will do the repair. Some can even get the tire off the rim for you. Most cycle shops won't do the repair citing "liability" but I have ridden on many plugged tires and have seen them used and have never seen a failure.:idk:

Mudpuppy
01-04-2009, 11:06 PM
sometimes you just dont have $$$ to get a new tire so you gotta do what you gotta do :idk:

hey that's cool - if you life is only worth $5 to repair a tire go for it - just drop your insurance just before you ride on the plugged tire on the street so you don't jack my rates up when you become a fucking statistic.. if you don't have the $$$ then don't fucking ride.. imo plugging a motorcycle tire is fucking stupid..

JARVIS518
01-04-2009, 11:45 PM
does anyone have any first hand experience with a plug not working?

Ninjakel
01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Nope, I have had a few a few years ago. never ad an issue.

Leon won't let me ride with one now though....But he's OCD about my tires and their condition

fasternyou929
01-05-2009, 12:01 AM
I've ridden with plugged tires before (picked up a screw with 10 miles on a new set of Pilot Powers... plugged it out of spite). But I have seen them fail first-hand, more than once. One time was on a drawbridge, about the last place I'd ever want to drop a bike and hit the "ground".

LOZ
01-05-2009, 07:25 AM
hey that's cool - if you life is only worth $5 to repair a tire go for it - just drop your insurance just before you ride on the plugged tire on the street so you don't jack my rates up when you become a fucking statistic.. if you don't have the $$$ then don't fucking ride.. imo plugging a motorcycle tire is fucking stupid..

http://wasteddomain.com/gallery/d/568-1/picard-sigh.jpg

Amber Lamps
01-05-2009, 07:43 AM
I've ridden with plugged tires before (picked up a screw with 10 miles on a new set of Pilot Powers... plugged it out of spite). But I have seen them fail first-hand, more than once. One time was on a drawbridge, about the last place I'd ever want to drop a bike and hit the "ground".

You've seen a tire fail after using a proper inner patch/plug? Or are you talking about those from the outside tire plug kits that clearly state that they are for "temporary/emergency use only"? I have never even heard of a patch failing on a semi-truck tire much less a motorcycle tire. Plus the worst case scenario is that the tire goes flat again not that it explodes or something.

fasternyou929
01-05-2009, 09:06 AM
You've seen a tire fail after using a proper inner patch/plug? Or are you talking about those from the outside tire plug kits that clearly state that they are for "temporary/emergency use only"? I have never even heard of a patch failing on a semi-truck tire much less a motorcycle tire. Plus the worst case scenario is that the tire goes flat again not that it explodes or something.

No, that's why I only said plug. The kind you slather with glue and use a roughed up T-handle tool to insert, then clip the excess material off.

I've never seen a properly patched tire fail.

Tmall
01-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Imo opinion telling people what they should or should just because you're worried about your insurance premium is fucking stupid.

Ps, Motorcycling isn't an elite sport. If I can't afford something, I'll do without the best way I can, Ie: plugging a tire.

If you don't like that, write your congressman, because I'll sleep fine tonight regardless if I'm soon to be a fucking statistic, or if I'm "fucking stupid" for plugging a tire.

Tmall
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
No, that's why I only said plug. The kind you slather with glue and use a roughed up T-handle tool to insert, then clip the excess material off.

And I've never seen a plugged tire fail. Ever, car or truck or bike..

I'm not saying it's impossible, just not guaranteed to happen.

If you don't like it, by all means, don't do it. But, a couple bucks an maybe I'll get another flat, or I can drop 300 for a new one.

Also, they wouldn't explosively decompress. They'd lose air just like a normal flat..

shmike
01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
i have a plug in my bike dont even notice a difference
just do it urself

Yep.

$3 at your local gas station.

Also, they wouldn't explosively decompress. They'd lose air just like a normal flat..

Truth.

Horrific sceanrio:

Plug fails, tire goes flat.

Insert new plug (most kits come with two).

Not the end of the world. (Except for the inevitable skyrocketing of insurance rates due to the "failed plug statistic".) :whistle:

FuryThree
01-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I appreciate the fact that I am apparently a catalyst for such a heated debate, but honestly I asked a specific question and have gotten no specific answer. LOL.

shmike
01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I appreciate the fact that I am apparently a catalyst for such a heated debate, but honestly I asked a specific question and have gotten no specific answer. LOL.

You have.

About three times, maybe four.

FuryThree
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
You have.

About three times, maybe four.

Nope, I got plug it yourself, go to a car shop, and dont do it.

My question was for a specific motorcycle shop that would do it A to Z.

:P

shmike
01-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Nope, I got plug it yourself, go to a car shop, and dont do it.

My question was for a specific motorcycle shop that would do it A to Z.

:P

That is two, I'm sure there are others.

If it has to be a MC shop go to Gary at http://www.extremecustomsportbikes.com/

Extreme Custom Sport Bikes
4911 Lyons Technology Parkway Ste. 5
Coconut Creek, FL 33073
954-421-6766

Tell him I sent you and he'll take care of you. Also tell him to charge you double the going rate for being a lazy pain in the ass.

FuryThree
01-05-2009, 12:35 PM
That is two, I'm sure there are others.

If it has to be a MC shop go to Gary at http://www.extremecustomsportbikes.com/

Extreme Custom Sport Bikes
4911 Lyons Technology Parkway Ste. 5
Coconut Creek, FL 33073
954-421-6766

Tell him I sent you and he'll take care of you. Also tell him to charge you double the going rate for being a lazy pain in the ass.

Why are you so mean to me :(

I'm not lazy, just short on time and ill equipped. Jerk. :P

fasternyou929
01-05-2009, 12:49 PM
And I've never seen a plugged tire fail. Ever, car or truck or bike..

I'm not saying it's impossible, just not guaranteed to happen.

If you don't like it, by all means, don't do it. But, a couple bucks an maybe I'll get another flat, or I can drop 300 for a new one.

You must've missed my previous post where I said I plugged a new Pilot Power that had 10 miles on it. ;) I wasn't berating anybody for doing it, just commenting that I saw them fail more than once.

It was like a scene out of a horror movie, too. There was the sound of air coming out of a tire, then we stopped at the next gas station and repaired the tire and continued our ride.

JARVIS518
01-05-2009, 05:59 PM
gary wont do it at extreme
not for someone he doesnt know at leaste

dReWpY
01-05-2009, 06:08 PM
i plugged one that had a hole after putting it on 100miles ago, i had a full life outof it and it never leaked or anything, cant say that it was the smartest thing to do, but on a college budget it worked well enough and yes it was a patch plug combination, went to teh gap and it felt like everyother pp i have ever ran

Amber Lamps
01-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Oh thanks! I was wondering...I've known of guys running patched tires at the track.

Cutty72
01-06-2009, 12:10 AM
There was a plug patch in the back tire of my SV when I bought it (dealer repo, still sold as "new") Didn't notice at time of sale. Hell, didn't notice till about 4K later when it started leaking. Only hold air for a couple days. They sold me a new (OEM) rear at cost, N/C for M&B.

Amber Lamps
01-06-2009, 07:44 AM
There was a plug patch in the back tire of my SV when I bought it (dealer repo, still sold as "new") Didn't notice at time of sale. Hell, didn't notice till about 4K later when it started leaking. Only hold air for a couple days. They sold me a new (OEM) rear at cost, N/C for M&B.

An inside installed patch leaked? Well,I guess there is always user error to take into account. :idk: but what I do know is this ungrounded fear of a catastrophic failure is ridiculous.