View Full Version : Background checks for employment

CrazyKell
01-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Other than military and law enforcement peeps (who I assume go through extensive background checks) who here has had a background check and to what level have you had it?

It's relatively rare in Canada to do a credit reference as a background check but I was recently asked for one. It's in addition to a police check and other background checks. It's not so much that I have a problem with it (cleaning up credit as we speak) per se....it's just I've never seen it done up here. I hope it's not the only thing they consider when hiring someone. :scared:

Adeptus_Minor
01-08-2009, 09:40 AM
The company I work for is considered part of the 'critical infrastructure', and any company like that will certainly do some investigating to make sure they aren't hiring a security risk.

azoomm
01-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Most of my jobs I had a background check done. :idk:

Lucky3623
01-08-2009, 09:41 AM
I had to go through one with this job (I hold the record for fastest clean return... woo whoo... :| they obviously don't know me) and one for my last job.

Dnyce
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
any company affiliated with the airport digs into your shit some...

Rider
01-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I have had several background check but I also work in the commercial and military aerospace industry so I need to carry a security clearance. Full background check, credit check and a drug test have been required at every job I've had since college.

Trip
01-08-2009, 09:46 AM
government nuclear industry employee, I go through very through background checks every couple of years to get my security clearance. I also have to pee in a cup and blow in a tube on a regular basis.

Racerboy
01-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I applied for a postal position and they wanted EVERY job position I have held since I was 16 years old, every traffic citation I had EVER received as well as a laundry list of people I am friends with so they can interview them. All of these are things they claim they will find out on their own but they are looking to see how forthcoming I am about providing the correct information. They also pulled my credit bureaus. all three of them.

It reminds me of when I was in the US Army and going for a security clearance, they went back to my 1st grade teacher for info on what she thought of me....people called me over the years to tell me of the interrogations they went through about my trustworthiness.

HRCNICK11
01-08-2009, 10:04 AM
The FBI is pretty deep even for plain old jobs. They came and interviewed half my class when I was finishing up school. I got pretty close but a lawer friend of the family had some pretty shady dealings. In my last interview they asked me a lot of questions about the guy even though I told them I did not really like the weasel. I had gone to two interviews with a lie detector attached and they had talked with people I worked for in high school.

You also have to fill out a form and list any name of any person you can remember ever talking with and number them one to five of how well you knew them.

ontwo
01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
The banking industry requires them.

BICH
01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Most of my jobs I had a background check done. :idk:

me2:dthumb: and Credit check

CrazyKell
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I've never had anything more than a police clearance for working with a vulnerable sector (children).

I guess it's becoming more commonplace these days.

While I don't completely object to having it done (obviously not since I'm still hoping to get this job)....I don't think it's the best "measure" of a suitable candidate.

It's like hiring a teacher that got the highest grades. High grades aren't the mark of a great teacher. :shrug:

Homeslice
01-08-2009, 12:33 PM
I applied for a postal position and they wanted EVERY job position I have held since I was 16 years old, every traffic citation I had EVER received as well as a laundry list of people I am friends with so they can interview them. All of these are things they claim they will find out on their own but they are looking to see how forthcoming I am about providing the correct information. They also pulled my credit bureaus. all three of them.

Extreme waste of time for a postal job, IMO.

But, typical in today's intrusive Big Brother society.

ontwo
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Background check are a good tool. I've used them in the hiring process. Things like traffic tickets and other minor things are no big deal. But these days, you have no idea who you are really hiring. I had an applicant not disclose her arrest for domestic violence. I think things like that possibly have an explanation, but the fact that she didn't disclose it AFTER we told her we would run a background check eliminated her.

PiZdETS
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
10 years of residence, employment and education, an FBI, TSA and post office background check for the security badge at the airport.
It took two weeks to get cleared.

Papa_Complex
01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I've never had anything more than a police clearance for working with a vulnerable sector (children).

I guess it's becoming more commonplace these days.

While I don't completely object to having it done (obviously not since I'm still hoping to get this job)....I don't think it's the best "measure" of a suitable candidate.

It's like hiring a teacher that got the highest grades. High grades aren't the mark of a great teacher. :shrug:

I had to get a RCMP security check done years ago, when I applied for a job with Ministry of Transportation: Special Services. They deal with commo and computer gear around airports. Other than that, nothing.

fasternyou929
01-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Most of mine have required one. Criminal background check, 7 year residence history, full employment history, references. None have checked my credit record though; that one doesn't seem necessary for most jobs.