PDA

View Full Version : Your philosophy on wearing gear

neebelung
02-25-2008, 03:05 PM
What's your overall philosophy on wearing riding gear? Do you believe in AGATT, or are there times you feel you don't need it (and if so, when/why?)?

marko138
02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
NEVER EVER EVER NEVER less than EVERYTHING. I'm talking full leathers, back protector, boots, helmet, and gloves. Thats my minumun. EVERY TIME I START THE BIKE.

Rider
02-25-2008, 03:09 PM
I wear all gear all the time. I don't have leather pants right now but that is next on my list as well as a back protector.

marko138
02-25-2008, 03:10 PM
I wear all gear all the time. I don't have leather pants right now but that is next on my list as well as a back protector.

I got my Dianese for $58 bucks shipped. It's not the top of the line...but it was a couple years ago. I can point you in that direction if you're interested.

neebelung
02-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Pants are all I'm missing as well, but the rest of it - EVERYTIME, without fail. I don't even like pulling the bike into the garage without gloves on (it just feels weird!)

Rider
02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I got my Dianese for $58 bucks shipped. It's not the top of the line...but it was a couple years ago. I can point you in that direction if you're interested.

Yeah I'm interested. :dthumb:

marko138
02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah I'm interested. :dthumb:

http://www.tenn2cycles.com/armor.html

Currently says he's sold out...but has a better deal coming. But thats the one I have. Can't even tell I'm wearing it when it's on.

dReWpY
02-25-2008, 03:16 PM
bare minimum is gloves, jacket, helmet, boots

Rider
02-25-2008, 03:18 PM
http://www.tenn2cycles.com/armor.html

Currently says he's sold out...but has a better deal coming. But thats the one I have. Can't even tell I'm wearing it when it's on.

Thanks, I'll check back in March.

NeonspeedRT
02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
All gear, all the time here as well. I don't have any good pants for riding (that I can currently fit into). However, I have a few pairs of Kevlar jeans that I try and wear most of the time i'm riding. But I always have on a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots.

Beefcake Morris
02-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Don't wear gear when pulling the bike in and out of garage.

Gas Man
02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Here's my 90% full geared... the only thing missing to make it 100% would be my nolan full face modular.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/mixed_008a-1.jpg

dReWpY
02-25-2008, 07:29 PM
everything is safe, except his ass...

neebelung
02-25-2008, 08:46 PM
everything is safe, except his ass...

Maybe he's wearing kevlar boxers. :lol:

psychochild28
02-26-2008, 12:50 AM
At the very least i'm in jeans my jacket, helmet, gloves and boots but most of the time if i'm not just going to the store or something I have my textiles on. prolly wont up grade gear until i upgrade the bike. :idk:

fpzx10
02-26-2008, 10:20 AM

That's my philosophy. I ride in jeans a lot. But, ever since the track, I don't push nearly as hard on the street. If I know I'll be riding aggressive, I'm fully suited. But not to work and back

marko138
02-26-2008, 10:21 AM
That's my philosophy. I ride in jeans a lot. But, ever since the track, I don't push nearly as hard on the street. If I know I'll be riding aggressive, I'm fully suited. But not to work and back

The track really changes how you approach riding on the street, doesn't it?

fpzx10
02-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Yep, it's just not worth it. I find that now I "save up" for when I'm in an environment with no cars, no gravel, no animals, etc. I have one road where I try to keep my skills sharp. Other than that, mostly just cruising the countryside

marko138
02-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Yep, it's just not worth it. I find that now I "save up" for when I'm in an environment with no cars, no gravel, no animals, etc. I have one road where I try to keep my skills sharp. Other than that, mostly just cruising the countryside

Exactly. I turn it up just a little bit on deserted roads.

Mr Lefty
02-26-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm with Drewpy on this one... Min. Helmet Boots, Gloves, Jacket... sometimes though I just wear jeans... I try to put my shin/knee protectors under but not always.

but yeah... Helmet boots gloves and jacket are mandatory IMO

marko138
02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
You guys do realize most injuries occur below the waist?

neebelung
02-27-2008, 02:53 PM

I actually didn't know that, and, thinking about the 6 friends involved in accidents over the last 18 months or so, it's not quite the case.

1 - died (helmet, full leathers)
2 - shattered face, broken ribs, two broken femurs, two broken ankles and I can't even remember what else (he's literally sporting about $2M in titanium now -- and yes, he's riding again) - helmet, textile jacket, jeans, Icon Motorhead boots (he came OUT of the boots on impact)
3 - dislocated shoulder
4 - Broken arm, clavicle, I think a couple cracked ribs (helmet, jacket with spine protector underneath, jeans, boots)
5 - died (no helmet, no leathers)
6 - broken arm & fingers (helmet, leather jacket, jeans, boots)

I'm not saying this to be argumentative; I honestly have never heard that most injuries occur below the belt, that's all.

marko138
02-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Of course, I have no factual evidence to back that up. Just something I heard. Makes sense to me....:idk:

dReWpY
02-27-2008, 03:07 PM
I actually didn't know that, and, thinking about the 6 friends involved in accidents over the last 18 months or so, it's not quite the case.

1 - died (helmet, full leathers)
2 - shattered face, broken ribs, two broken femurs, two broken ankles and I can't even remember what else (he's literally sporting about $2M in titanium now -- and yes, he's riding again) - helmet, textile jacket, jeans, Icon Motorhead boots (he came OUT of the boots on impact)
3 - dislocated shoulder
4 - Broken arm, clavicle, I think a couple cracked ribs (helmet, jacket with spine protector underneath, jeans, boots)
5 - died (no helmet, no leathers)
6 - broken arm & fingers (helmet, leather jacket, jeans, boots)

I'm not saying this to be argumentative; I honestly have never heard that most injuries occur below the belt, that's all.

makes me not want to be your friend, they have horrible luck...

neebelung
02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
makes me not want to be your friend, they have horrible luck...

:lol: Well when you take into account Florida has the highest number of motorcyclists per capita in the U.S., and that there's a REALLY active sportbike scene here, I guess it goes with the territory.

Add to that, Florida drivers... well... suck donkey ballz (the two that died, and the last one who broke his arm, were all hit by vehicles).

Mr Lefty
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM

never heard that before... :idk:

but when I rode it was EVERYWHERE... and I can't fit my riding pants over my uniform. so when I head to and from work I don't have riding pants on... and when I was go'n out with a friend there... I just wore Jeans... especially if she and I were going to a party or going to the bar.

:idk:

Rider
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
never heard that before... :idk:

but when I rode it was EVERYWHERE... and I can't fit my riding pants over my uniform. so when I head to and from work I don't have riding pants on... and when I was go'n out with a friend there... I just wore Jeans... especially if she and I were going to a party or going to the bar.

:idk:

Going to the bar on your bike? :skep:

Mr Lefty
02-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Going to the bar on your bike? :skep:

shit nothing else to do... and no not to drink... just to bs with friends... usually we'd start at the bar then end up at the pool hall... and most bar's in AK had Awesome and cheap food!

Rider
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
shit nothing else to do... and no not to drink... just to bs with friends... usually we'd start at the bar then end up at the pool hall... and most bar's in AK had Awesome and cheap food!

:dthumb: I'm just fucking with you. :twfix:

Mr Lefty
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
:dthumb: I'm just fucking with you. :twfix:

naw I know... :lol: :jump:

marko138
02-27-2008, 07:19 PM
I just always wear leather b/c I only get on the bike to hammer some twisties.

neebelung
02-27-2008, 08:23 PM

*sniffle, pout* if we had some twisties, I'd probably share that mindset.

Mr Lefty
02-27-2008, 10:05 PM

yeah then your right! AGATT

Gas Man
02-28-2008, 08:27 AM
This is my choppin full version of full gear
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/ME1.jpg

OneSickPsycho
02-28-2008, 10:08 AM
All gear most of the time... Used to be AGATT, but I won't wear boots sometimes when riding to work...

05svr650
02-28-2008, 11:38 AM
It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

the chi
02-28-2008, 11:52 AM

:iagree: If im going to be agressive, full gear, leathers and all...if commuting, not so much, typically pants and shoes are non riding gear...

I really dont care for street riding anymore, its just not worth my life if I get froggy and take out a guardrail or tree...commuting and bike nights I will do, just to get my bike fix and the Sunday stroll out to play, but not nearly as hard as i used to ride on the streets...and the only non riding gear i wear when playing is jeans...

Cutty72
02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Always a lid (unless just moving around the garage)
99% of the time jacket and gloves.

05svr650
02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5922/991277atgattot1.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=991277atgattot1.jpg)

marko138
02-28-2008, 03:14 PM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5922/991277atgattot1.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=991277atgattot1.jpg)

Beautiful.

vabarber2
03-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I usualy ride with timbs, jeans, leather jacket and helmet! But I'd like to find some pants (not leather) for the twistys! I recomend more, but am not big on leather pants, I feel like michale jackson or something!

Mrs. Colleen
03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
I occasionally don't wear my leather pants to work...but actually, the more I do it the less comfortable I feel.

Other then that I wear helmet, gloves, boots, back protector, leather jacket, and leather pants all the time. :beers:

02Gsxxr
03-01-2008, 03:31 PM
AGATT never anything less minimum jacket gloves helmet(of course)

ceo012384
03-10-2008, 01:34 AM
The only time I don't wear full gear is when I'm going from my apt to work, in which case I'll wear boots, jeans, jacket, gloves, helmet.

edit:... it's all in town, less than a mile, all sub-20mph.

AGATT never anything less minimum jacket gloves helmet(of course)
That's not all the gear, buddy.

Mr Lefty
03-10-2008, 01:45 AM
The only time I don't wear full gear is when I'm going from my apt to work, in which case I'll wear boots, jeans, jacket, gloves, helmet.

:lol: it's more than most gxr riders

ceo012384
03-10-2008, 01:51 AM
:lol: it's more than most gxr riders

True :lol:

02Gsxxr
03-10-2008, 02:16 AM

edit:... it's all in town, less than a mile, all sub-20mph.

oh i know thats not All gear i was just saying if your not going to wear a full race suit lol to the grocery store then at least have the helmet gloves and jacket

DIMford
03-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I put most gear most of the time for this reason. I will pull the bike in and out of the garage without my gear on. Also on the street I wear everything except leather pants. I will never go without a helmet. Especially after seeing what my crash at JGP did to my brand new one yesterday.

NeonspeedRT
03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I will never go without a helmet. Especially after seeing what my crash at JGP did to my brand new one yesterday.

You went down at Jennings? I'm sorry to hear that man. So how are you and the bike?

neebelung
03-10-2008, 09:20 AM
You went down at Jennings? I'm sorry to hear that man. So how are you and the bike?

+ 1 :no: Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that Ryan!!

fatburg
03-19-2008, 07:59 AM

:iagree:But most of the time I have on my Alter Ego overpants also which have atleast some knee, hip and kidney protection built in.

z06boy
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
All gear all the time for me...I didn't used to think this way and rode for years in helmet...gloves...sometimes fingerless...jeans...T-shirt and tennis shoes.

I got hit by a car in 2001 and the weather was perfect...I wasn't speeding or under the influence of anything illegal...BUT a car didn't see me and BAM I went sailing through the air and bouncing down the street. :zowned:

I did have a leather jacket on that day BUT the tennis shoes allowed my foot and ankle to get pretty much destroyed...they wanted to amputate at the knee but luckily one orthopedic surgeon on duty "thought" he could save my foot that was hanging and blowing in the wind...not kidding either.:whistle:

Well after 4 surgeries and two skin graphs (that was fun:panic:) I still have MY foot...even though I have a slight limp. :idk: My femur bone also snapped and was poking through my jeans...oh that was :drool:...NOT. :rofl::rofl:

Just for the record I wasn't on a sportbike...I was on a BigDog Bulldog similar to this but different paint...

http://www.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/NewVehicles/2005_25_bulldog.jpg

OTB
03-19-2008, 11:03 AM
JMHO....but:
as far as the philosophy "I don't wear gear if I'm just coolin' it, or just going for a short hop".

3/4 of MC accidents are caused by other vehicles, and occur within a mile or so of home. 2/3 of those accidents occur within 10 minutes of the beginning of the trip.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/hurt-report.html

If I knew when I was gonna be in an accident, THAT'S when I would wear my gear.....unfortunately.......

If you read the results of the report carefully, you may conclude that the shorter the ride with the more intersections and the lower the speeds, the more likely the case you would need your gear.......

.....and you'd be right.

fnfalman
03-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I wear AGATT. The least protection that I'd have on is a pair of riding jeans from either AlpineStar or Cortech. I wear those if I were to toot around the neighborhood and not hitting the freeways and highways. Any further than that at least a textile pants would go on and I never carve the canyons with anything less than my heavy textile, but usually all leathers.

LaFemmes
03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
AGATT - All gear, all the timeWe all know this the right thing to do.

However, I do wear blue jeans. :whistle: and not leather pants.

lauralynne
03-19-2008, 12:07 PM
AGATT - full leather from the neck down, full face from the neck up.
Back protector at the track, even in the "slow" group.

DLIT
03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
All/most gear, all of the time is not there, but that's what I'd pick. When running small errands or something, I'd just rock jacket, boots, gloves, helmet and jeans. Other than that, it's 1-peice all the time.

Amber Lamps
03-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Helmet,jacket,riding boots,gloves, Icon leg armor everytime!

JoJoYZF
03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
When I started riding last spring it was just helmet and gloves with a shirt, jeans and basketball shoes. I finally started to realize how retarded that was and bought a mesh/leather jacket that Ive been wearing since. Now this summer Ill finally be getting higher end gloves, a leather jacket and some good boots this summer. Hopefully some leather pants over next winter so I can hit th track the following summer.

jalaan1
03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
feel naked without my gear on when on the bike.

OneSickPsycho
03-20-2008, 09:46 AM

I know different. 'Tomato run'.

z06boy
03-20-2008, 09:56 AM
We all know this the right thing to do.

However, I do wear blue jeans. :whistle: and not leather pants.

I wear jeans too but they do have kevlar in the butt and knees and also CE-rated armor on knees and shins.

NeonspeedRT
03-20-2008, 10:11 AM
I wear jeans too but they do have kevlar in the butt and knees and also CE-rated armor on knees and shins.

I need to loose about 10 lbs so I can fit back into my Draggin Jeans. I feel much better in those then regular jeans.

Quick281
04-04-2008, 12:02 AM
My policy is currently evolving. My first parking lot sessions were in a t shirt and shorts, but as I begin to buy and collect gear the safer I feel with it on.

Just picked up my jacket, so at this point I am up to jacket, gloves and a helmet. Its about to get hot as hell here in Georgia, but I plan on wearing my (leather) jacket with gloves and a helmet every time I hop on.

WARputer
04-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Full suit, gloves, boots & lid 85 % of the time....the others % is jacket, gloves, lid & boots. Road rash at 60 mph SUCKS ! I know and have the scars to prove it.

nhgunnut
04-05-2008, 07:45 AM
I live in a no Helmet law state in the past 5 years I have had to twice make the decision to go down. ( In both case there was a cages "I didnt see you" involved I wear gear all the time, But I have to confess I use different gear on different bikes

marko138
04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I want some new gear. I dont need anything...but I want some. I just don't know what.

Phenix_Rider
04-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I want some new gear. I dont need anything...but I want some. I just don't know what.

I like your attitude:dthumb:

Come pay day, I'm buying another pair of riding jeans, and a back protector.

marko138
04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I like your attitude:dthumb:

Come pay day, I'm buying another pair of riding jeans, and a back protector.
I don't think I'll buy any gear...but who knows. I'm always looking. I want a new helmet...but I just bought one last season.

dReWpY
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
if i had to pick a new piece of gear it would def be some riding jeans, i just feel naked with only jeans on now, wonder if i can get some jeans with pucks....

marko138
I just have no interest in riding jeans. I won't wear them.

dReWpY
speaking of pucks, gotta get a new set this year, two trips to the draggon and these are toast

do they make jeans with armor?

Phenix_Rider
04-07-2008, 03:35 PM
speaking of pucks, gotta get a new set this year, two trips to the draggon and these are toast

do they make jeans with armor?

I think the best you'll find is either the Cortech Mod Denims I just got, or a pair of Draggin' Jeans with their CE knee armor. You want pucks? Sew some velcro to the outside!

Dnyce
04-07-2008, 03:52 PM
i grew up with my dad telling me always wear a fullface, jacket, boots, jeans gloves. he wouldnt even let me go around the block in a residential neighborhood at 11am with zilch traffic on his bike without it. he'd make me change my shoes, and id have to wear his jacket/helmet/gloves.

so thats how i am-cept the one time i didnt wear my jacket and was out riding around (went to eat, bout a hour of good riding b4 and after) was the one time i had a altercation with a tahoe. bike totaled, but i was fine. tahoe got towed away.

i work a split shift, and im close to the beach, so i do sometimes ride in just a tshirt and gloves, fullface, at around 1030am-no1 on the road, 15miles an hour, cruising in 2nd gear by the coast for about 20min. i think thats fine.

and at the track-no helmet, gloves, or jacket. my bike used to be the pitbike lol-racing im fully suited

i want a new custom leather 2pc suit, and some sidi boots. :drool: