PDA

View Full Version : BCS Antitrust

Trip
01-08-2009, 10:19 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bcs-coordinator&prov=ap&type=lgns

Never knew SEC tried to get a 4 team playoff setup last year. Interesting...

Mudpuppy
01-08-2009, 10:32 PM
god damnit why won't they just do brackets like college basketball, pro football, hockey, etc. It's so simple it's stupid - 16-20 teams start and 1 team remains. The BCS is a fucking joke.

Mr Lefty
01-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah but I don't like they're plus one model. I say play the bowls all before Jan 1. THEN take the top 4 teams and play a semi final and championship.

as it is... Utah wouldn't have gotten in with the SEC's version. and with a plus one model... there's no reason an undefeated team shouldn't get a chance at the title. :2cents:

that'd mean they'd just have to be ranked in the top 8 or so going into the pre-jan bowls

god damnit why won't they just do brackets like college basketball, pro football, hockey, etc. It's so simple it's stupid - 16-20 teams start and 1 team remains. The BCS is a fucking joke.

it'd extend the season way to long...

the only reason the BCS still is.... is $$$$$$

Mudpuppy
01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah but I don't like they're plus one model. I say play the bowls all before Jan 1. THEN take the top 4 teams and play a semi final and championship.

as it is... Utah wouldn't have gotten in with the SEC's version. and with a plus one model... there's no reason an undefeated team shouldn't get a chance at the title. :2cents:

that'd mean they'd just have to be ranked in the top 8 or so going into the pre-jan bowls

it'd extend the season way to long...

the only reason the BCS still is.... is $$$$$$

yes and Utah doesn't have too many alumni like all the big schools do making the decisions for the BCS and guiding the direction it heads.. you're right it's all about money and therefore the fundamental problem.. at least they could be honest and just say listen these schools are second fiddle and just won't ever get a shot because we sell more commercials and tickets with the big names.. but then that would ruin the facade of the BCS now wouldn't it?

Mr Lefty
01-08-2009, 11:16 PM
well that and the fact that the BOWLS will produce more money than a tournament will...

tommymac
01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
these bcs bowls generate a ton of money for these schools. The other thing is the smaller schools would get pinched worse if they got rid of all the second and 3rd teir type bowls. They get some money for that and since almost everyone goes to a bowl teams can use it as a recruiting pitch too.

Tom

Rider
01-09-2009, 08:33 AM
The big 10 is against any kind of playoff system. Fuck the big 10 and the BCS.

marko138
01-09-2009, 08:34 AM
The BCS fucking sucks. They're just playing a bunch of exibition games a month after the season. Stupid.

And lets no kid ourselves...Utah didn't deserve to be in the National Championship any more than Penn State did. Until they schedule solid teams and beat them handedly they won't get any consideration (Utah).

Rider
01-09-2009, 08:37 AM
The BCS fucking sucks. They're just playing a bunch of exibition games a month after the season. Stupid.

And lets no kid ourselves...Utah didn't deserve to be in the National Championship any more than Penn State did. Until they schedule solid teams and beat them handedly they won't get any consideration (Utah).

Penn St, Michigan St, Wisconsin and OSU proved how week the big 10 was this year. Pathetic.

marko138
01-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Penn St, Michigan St, Wisconsin and OSU proved how week the big 10 was this year. Pathetic.
No shit. They just can't hang. They schedule shit teams all fucking year, get to a bowl and get throttled.

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM

but Utah stomped Alabama... who was praised all year till they lost to Florida. but yes... they need some more strength in schedule but they played Oregon State, TCU, and BYU...

they had Michigan, Utah State, and Weber state to round out their non conf. opp. trade Weber and shitigan for a decent 20ish ranked team and they'd have been in the top 5 I think.

I just think it's weird... how everyone claims the SEC and Big 12 are so much better than any other conferences...

lets see...
USC stomped tOSU
Texas barely beat tOSU
Texas Stomped Oklahoma
Texas Tech barely beat Texas
Mississippi barely beat Florida
Mississippi stomped Texas Tech.
Florida beat Alabama
Utah stomped Alabama
Utah barely beat Oregon State
Oregon State barely beat USC
USC stomped Oregon
Oregon stomped Oklahoma State

I'd say at least the pac10, SEC, and Big 12 are on equal ground. the SEC getting the nod in my book for a bit more depth.

I'd like to see (and I hear rumors one is in the works for USC) the Pac10 and the SEC to do a home and home.

marko138
01-09-2009, 09:09 AM
The SEC is far superior to just about every conference, IMO.

Trip
01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
but Utah stomped Alabama... who was praised all year till they lost to Florida. but yes... they need some more strength in schedule but they played Oregon State, TCU, and BYU...

they had Michigan, Utah State, and Weber state to round out their non conf. opp. trade Weber and shitigan for a decent 20ish ranked team and they'd have been in the top 5 I think.

I just think it's weird... how everyone claims the SEC and Big 12 are so much better than any other conferences...

lets see...
USC stomped tOSU
Texas barely beat tOSU
Texas Stomped Oklahoma
Texas Tech barely beat Texas
Mississippi barely beat Florida
Mississippi stomped Texas Tech.
Florida beat Alabama
Utah stomped Alabama
Utah barely beat Oregon State
Oregon State barely beat USC
USC stomped Oregon
Oregon stomped Oklahoma State

I'd say at least the pac10, SEC, and Big 12 are on equal ground. the SEC getting the nod in my book for a bit more depth.

I'd like to see (and I hear rumors one is in the works for USC) the Pac10 and the SEC to do a home and home.

Pac 10, lol you are dreaming. Big 12 is closer than the Pac 10 to the SEC and that's not close.

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
The SEC is far superior to just about every conference, IMO.

FAR superior? no... I'm sorry.

they don't play big out of conference games but maybe one or two a year...

they are the best conference imo by pure depth... but not far superior...

top team in each conference order would be imo
USC
Florida
Texas
Penn St.

2nd
Oklahoma
Oregon
Alabama
Ohio St.

3rd
Texas Tech
Georgia
Oregon St.
Michigan St.

4th
Mississippi
California
Iowa
Missouri

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Pac 10, lol you are dreaming. Big 12 is closer than the Pac 10 to the SEC and that's not close.

I think the big 12 is pretty evenly matched with the Pac10... and the SEC is better... but not that much better. sorry.

Rider
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
The Pac-10 went 5-0 in their bowl games. No other conference could do that.

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM

because of that... and the SEC going 6-2

Pac 10 also has the highest bowl winning percentage over the last 10 years (I think that was the time frame) just edging out the SEC

Trip
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
FAR superior? no... I'm sorry.

they don't play big out of conference games but maybe one or two a year...

they are the best conference imo by pure depth... but not far superior...

top team in each conference order would be imo
USC
Florida
Texas
Penn St.

2nd
Oklahoma
Oregon
Alabama
Ohio St.

3rd
Texas Tech
Georgia
Oregon St.
Michigan St.

4th
Mississippi
California
Iowa
Missouri

The thing is the 2nd team in the SEC if they showed up could play with and beat the first team in every other conference. The 3rd team could hang and possibly win against the first team. The top 10 SEC teams could beat anyone listed in the 3rd-4th position. We don't need high caliber out of conference games because we beat the fuck out of each other all year as a high caliber conference. The pac 10 either has to play shitty or good ooc because they are middle caliber and only have up or down to go. Big 12 and Big 10 can't say shit about SEC's ooc games.

Depth is superiority, we are a good conference all around and that's the entire point.

Trip
01-09-2009, 09:42 AM

We did go 5-0 if we throw out 3 teams, but we had 8 freakin bowl eligible teams most playing quality opponents and not mid majors.

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
you could say the same thing about the pac 10. had the same team that beat USC played Penn State... or Oregon... or Utah... or stanford Oregon State would have gone undefeated and could have given the best in the SEC a good game...

I conceeded the point that the SEC is deep... but they're not FAR superior. sorry... if they'd play a tough out of confrence schedule... you'd see that.

We did go 5-0 if we throw out 3 teams, but we had 8 freakin bowl eligible teams most playing quality opponents and not mid majors.

who played NO ONE out of conference to build up that record

Trip
01-09-2009, 09:47 AM
who played NO ONE out of conference to build up that record

We play each other, that more than qualifies us, because we won a national championship 3 years in a row and have winning bowl records.

Let's do something, let's take out Florida and USC. Compare the conferences. Yeah, the Pac 10 is a joke in comparison to the SEC.

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
We play each other, that more than qualifies us, because we won a national championship 3 years in a row and have winning bowl records.

Let's do something, let's take out Florida and USC. Compare the conferences. Yeah, the Pac 10 is a joke in comparison to the SEC.

All on their best days...

Oregon would beat the best of the SEC
Oregon State would beat all but AL and MS
Call would beat all but AL and MS
Arizona would beat all but AL and MS and Georgia

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
as I said... on their best days...

Trip
01-09-2009, 09:57 AM
nvm that was ucla, cal was a few years ago.

Rider
01-09-2009, 09:58 AM

The number of bowl eligible teams don't mean shit. ACC had 10 bowl teams and that conference sucked almost as bad as the Big 10.

Mr Lefty
01-09-2009, 09:58 AM
yeah UCLA was horrible this year...

Trip
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
The number of bowl eligible teams don't mean shit. ACC had 10 bowl teams and that conference sucked almost as bad as the Big 10.

Would we be having this discussion without Florida and USC in the mix? No.

Rider
01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Would we be having this discussion without Florida and USC in the mix? No.

No, but then the Big 12 would be top dog.

Trip
01-09-2009, 10:17 AM
No, but then the Big 12 would be top dog.

You would have to throw out Oklahoma as their top team and I am not sure Texas could beat an Alabama (that actually shows up for a game, that was the worst I have seen them all season) after almost getting beating by an ok but not good tOSU team. Texas Tech got manhandled by Mississippi. God knows what Georgia would do to Missouri.

Basically it's still the PAC 1 + 9. I got mad respect for USC, but I don't think the rest of the conference is anywhere close to where they are at, even though OSU beat em. Anyone can have bad games when other teams have great games.

Rider
01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
You would have to throw out Oklahoma as their top team and I am not sure Texas could beat an Alabama (that actually shows up for a game, that was the worst I have seen them all season) after almost getting beating by an ok but not good tOSU team. Texas Tech got manhandled by Mississippi. God knows what Georgia would do to Missouri.

Basically it's still the PAC 1 + 9. I got mad respect for USC, but I don't think the rest of the conference is anywhere close to where they are at, even though OSU beat em. Anyone can have bad games when other teams have great games.

Well if you throw out the top team from every major conference then yeah I'd have to agree, the SEC is stacked like no other conference.

marko138
01-10-2009, 09:18 AM
The thing is the 2nd team in the SEC if they showed up could play with and beat the first team in every other conference. The 3rd team could hang and possibly win against the first team. The top 10 SEC teams could beat anyone listed in the 3rd-4th position. We don't need high caliber out of conference games because we beat the fuck out of each other all year as a high caliber conference. The pac 10 either has to play shitty or good ooc because they are middle caliber and only have up or down to go. Big 12 and Big 10 can't say shit about SEC's ooc games.

Depth is superiority, we are a good conference all around and that's the entire point.

I'm with Trip on this one. The Pac10 is not a great conference. I fucking hate the SEC...but they are a good conference. Pound for pound the Pac10 doesn't have it compared to SEC.

Mr Lefty
01-10-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm with Trip on this one. The Pac10 is not a great conference. I fucking hate the SEC...but they are a good conference. Pound for pound the Pac10 doesn't have it compared to SEC.

I agree... the SEC is deep... but I would argue that the top 5 teams from the Pac 10 would do just fine agains the top 5 from the SEC. I think the SEC MIGHT win the searies... but it would be a close over all record. :2cents:

unfortunatly we'll never know... not with the fuck'n BCS.

though like I said... I've heard USC is going to be playing a home and home against someone in the SEC next two years... not sure who... but there's a connection at Tenn with the new coach... I for one hope not as Tenn sucks... it'd be nice if it was FL or AL... but why would they do that and risk ruining a chance at the title when they don't NEED it to be considered good... :idk:

Trip
01-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Lane Kiffin is the new ut coach. I think he was the oc at usc a few years back. He was the raiders coach. His wife is hawt.

Mr Lefty
01-10-2009, 09:01 PM
:lol: that's why I think it'll be Tenn that USC picks up... they're supposed to announce it in the next few weeks...

Porkchop
01-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Screw you, i dont call bringing a better team down to the last 26 seconds with a true freshman weak....

Mr Lefty
01-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Screw you, i dont call bringing a better team down to the last 26 seconds with a true freshman weak....

who the fuck you talk'n about?

marko138
01-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Lane Kiffin is a decent coach I think. The Raiders gig was doomed from the start. He's be fine in Utah.

Trip
01-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Lane Kiffin is a decent coach I think. The Raiders gig was doomed from the start. He's be fine in Utah.

he's not at utah he is at tennessee

who the fuck you talk'n about?

the texas ohio state game

marko138
01-11-2009, 12:29 PM
he's not at utah he is at tennessee

Oh....thats right. I'm a retard.

Mr Lefty
01-11-2009, 02:10 PM

ahh... then what happened in the USC game?

Trip
01-11-2009, 02:15 PM
ahh... then what happened in the USC game?

Or the last two BCS championship games, heehehehhehehehee