PDA

View Full Version : Budget Pistol

Amber Lamps
01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Ok,I was thinking of getting this hand gun because it's cheap,$150 otd,it's American made,and it has a lifetime warranty. I know that I'm opening myself up to a lot of crap here but I promise I won't get in an argument about this because I'm sure I'm gonna get a TON of posts about how I should spend more money for something better... I just wanna know what the gun nuts here think of this brand,etc. BTW it's brand new from a dealer with an extra clip and a holster (nylon cheapo). Alright fire away!

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/45acp/hi_point_45acp.html

Ninjakel
01-14-2009, 08:23 PM
I wouldnt buy it, it looks cheap. I wouldn't trust it not to jam,etc.

Corey
01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm not a gun nut in any way, but the reviews of Hi-Point fire arms tend to be pretty positive. With a lifetime warranty on it and a cheap price, it couldn't hurt to put a few rounds down range and get an idea of any issues or characteristics the gun may have.

came across this review of the 45. The 9mm owners seem to like them a lot too. (http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/)

Amber Lamps
01-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I wouldnt buy it, it looks cheap. I wouldn't trust it not to jam,etc.

Oh it is cheap...:idk: hopefully that's where the "Lifetime Warranty" comes in...

Oh and

"Our scars remind us that the past is real"-Papa Roach

tallywacker
01-14-2009, 08:29 PM
www.gunbroker.com to look for deals on used and new guns. Also travel to gun shops and see if they have any deals. That handgun right there is garbage. Post up again if you have any questions. Remember if you going to take this step in self defense for yourself you want to make damn sure its going to fire every single time.

tallywacker
01-14-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.defensivecarry.com/ is a forum I use to find information about pistols. Check it out

ericr
01-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi-points are not the worst gun you can buy. I would do some test firing with different types of ammo to see if there are any feed problems with particular brands and bullet types in particular (some soft nose or hollow points cause jams in some cheaper guns). Make sure you keep a known brand and bullet in the gun for self defense situations any time you're not target shooting.

I do know a few people that have hi-points and have no problems with them so I won't warn you off. You know its not the best so just don't expect more from it and you're good to go! :dthumb:

Amber Lamps
01-14-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm not a gun nut in any way, but the reviews of Hi-Point fire arms tend to be pretty positive. With a lifetime warranty on it and a cheap price, it couldn't hurt to put a few rounds down range and get an idea of any issues or characteristics the gun may have.

came across this review of the 45. The 9mm owners seem to like them a lot too. (http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/)

Thank you buddy!!! This may be the best response I've ever gotten to a post! I'm buying this bad boy Fri,I don't see how I can go wrong.

Amber Lamps
01-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi-points are not the worst gun you can buy. I would do some test firing with different types of ammo to see if there are any feed problems with particular brands and bullet types in particular (some soft nose or hollow points cause jams in some cheaper guns). Make sure you keep a known brand and bullet in the gun for self defense situations any time you're not target shooting.

I do know a few people that have hi-points and have no problems with them so I won't warn you off. You know its not the best so just don't expect more from it and you're good to go! :dthumb:

Thanks,I mean for $150,how can I go wrong?

ericr
01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks,I mean for $150,how can I go wrong?

Exactly. Since you know it "might" have a dependability issue at some point, it's still better than a rock in a bad situation. If it jams...you've already got a rock in your hand and don't have to look for one :lol:

Amber Lamps
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
www.gunbroker.com to look for deals on used and new guns. Also travel to gun shops and see if they have any deals. That handgun right there is garbage. Post up again if you have any questions. Remember if you going to take this step in self defense for yourself you want to make damn sure its going to fire every single time.

Yeah,I haven't shot anyone in my house since I was 16....or otherwise for over 15 years... Hey I found this deal on that site....it's only $1800... seriously,thanks for the info,for the price,I don't think I can go wrong. Heck,the dealer even does repairs and handles any warranty issues himself so I don't even have to deal with Hi point myself.

Dave
01-14-2009, 09:04 PM
id place that pistol all the way up there with lorcin. look around for a used fn fortynine. i got mine for $225 carried but never fired

Amber Lamps
01-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Exactly. Since you know it "might" have a dependability issue at some point, it's still better than a rock in a bad situation. If it jams...you've already got a rock in your hand and don't have to look for one :lol:

Shit just the sight of that big ugly thing would probably scare off most home invaders...I know a lot of people will put these guns down but everything I've read from people that have used them seems positive. I mean Corey posted an article where the tester popped off 200 rounds without an issue,I'll probably never fire that many rounds.

tallywacker
01-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah,I haven't shot anyone in my house since I was 16....or otherwise for over 15 years... Hey I found this deal on that site....it's only $1800... seriously,thanks for the info,for the price,I don't think I can go wrong. Heck,the dealer even does repairs and handles any warranty issues himself so I don't even have to deal with Hi point myself.

Haha

'73 H1 Triple
01-14-2009, 09:12 PM
The Hi Point is a blowback design. What that means instead of a spring to absorb the recoil of the fired cartridge, it uses a heavy slide. It's going to behave differently when fired.

Pros- inexpensive to manufacture

Cons- very top heavy ( you may have a hard time quickly getting on target)

Another option in that price range would be a good used revolver.

Jeff

Dave
01-14-2009, 09:14 PM
or a makarov, cant go wrong with a mak

Amber Lamps
01-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Okay where can I get a Makarov in Greenville,NC? A gun is one thing that I don't want to buy online...I might wait for the gun show in a few weeks...I really don't want to spend over $200,so....

Corey
01-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Okay where can I get a Makarov in Greenville,NC? A gun is one thing that I don't want to buy online...I might wait for the gun show in a few weeks...I really don't want to spend over $200,so....

Another one for ya. (http://www.gunweek.com/2006/feature0120.html)

Dova80
01-14-2009, 10:18 PM

I would check with the pawn shops that have military shit and carry guns. The mak when first started being imported was cheap, seemed like a POS but was actually a very solid fire arm.

Also know the mack does not shoot 9mm it shoots 9x18 makarov which is different than 9mm luger (just an fyi if you didnt know, this is not meant to be insulting just informative)

Oh and I am not a fan of high point... they make "fun" guns but not something I would place in as home defense I would rather have the mak for that.

Dave
01-14-2009, 10:21 PM

gunbroker isint bad at all, but yeah you can sometimes find them in pawn shops and the like

Amber Lamps
01-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Another one for ya. (http://www.gunweek.com/2006/feature0120.html)

Thanks Corey,I found an article where a tester claimed to have fired over 1000 rounds without a single problem and even stated that the Hi Point performed better than his personal 1911 as far as jamming and misfires go.

Rider
01-15-2009, 08:37 AM
There are 2 brands I stand behind. Heckler & Koch and Sig Sauer but the Springfield XDM line is growing on me.

RACER X
01-15-2009, 08:54 AM
a gun is like your helmet, your last line of defense, you have how many lids? and are they cheapy's?

tallywacker
01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
There are 2 brands I stand behind. Heckler & Koch and Sig Sauer but the Springfield XDM line is growing on me.

Exactly, my USP is my CCW.

RACER X
01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
i likey my current Kimber and all the Glocks i've had in teh past.

marko138
01-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Tigs....there was just a post about Hi Point gun on a Buell board. Alot of positive reviews...but people say they jam up really easy if you fire in rapid succession.

Amorok
01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
My buddy's hi-point locked up completely and had to be sent in after 43 rounds fired. To dissassemble it you have to pull out pins, there's no takedown levers, and the pins aren't very durable. I know four people who bought them, every one has since gotten rid of them. They're very maintenance intensive and won't fire if dirty.

I would recommend a Ruger GP-100, you can get them used for $250, they're reliable as hell, accurate, and powerful without a lot of felt recoil. Try one out, you'll be glad you did.

I mean Corey posted an article where the tester popped off 200 rounds without an issue,I'll probably never fire that many rounds.Then you're not shooting enough. You need to fire enough to where you're familiar with the wepon, putting two magazines through and sticking the gun in a drawer won't help you.

Lino
01-15-2009, 10:52 AM
a gun is like your helmet, your last line of defense, you have how many lids? and are they cheapy's?

plus one :dthumb:

RACER X
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
^ thats if he's using it as a CCW or home defense, if it's plinker get whatever.

Adeptus_Minor
01-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I would recommend a Ruger GP-100, you can get them used for $250, they're reliable as hell, accurate, and powerful without a lot of felt recoil. Try one out, you'll be glad you did.

He could look for a lightly used Ruger P89, actually.
Though they are now discontinued, they're very solid, reasonably accurate, and less than $300 at any decent gun store.

unknownroad
01-15-2009, 11:50 AM

Field-tested on the backs of more heads than any other gun in history! :dthumb:

High-Point is generally considered to be far superior to Lorcin/Jennings. They are not known for long-term (5000+ rounds) durability, but they are considered capable enough for what they are.

Revolvers are generally recommended for the infrequent shooter, because they are much simpler to operate and less prone to jamming. If you haven't used a pistol in two years, you could lose vital seconds fumbling with the safety on a semi-auto when you do need it. Likewise, if an inexpensive semi-auto jams as you're firing it, you're fucked. If you get a dud round in a revolver, just pull the trigger again.

I'd recommend going to a gun show to get the best range of options. Most shows will have a couple of dealers who specialize in high-volume, lower-cost trade-in guns.

fnfalman
01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Field-tested on the backs of more heads than any other gun in history! :dthumb:

Sorry, but the Tokarev takes that honor. The Tok was put to good use during the Stalin purge.

As far as $150 goes, I'd try my damndest to find a used revolver before I'd buy a Hi-Point.

dReWpY
01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
dont buy a .45, too expensive to shoot

Amber Lamps
01-15-2009, 07:57 PM

Some are actually,I have Sparx,HJC,Icon and Scorpion helmets as well. If someone made a helmet that was as good as my Shark RSR2 for $100,I would buy it in a heartbeat. Only a fool buys expensive things JUST because they are expensive. If generic cheese tastes the same as Kraft cheese,I'm buying. Besides,I'm not fending off the galloping hordes,it's just a toy really. If you break into my house carrying a gun,you can have anything you want-I have insurance. If you are breaking in without a gun,best call 911 before hand.

Amber Lamps
01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
dont buy a .45, too expensive to shoot

Hmmm...good point. I considered a 357 revolver,maybe a Taurus or something. How about the 40,380 or 9mm?

Amber Lamps
01-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Sorry, but the Tokarev takes that honor. The Tok was put to good use during the Stalin purge.

As far as $150 goes, I'd try my damndest to find a used revolver before I'd buy a Hi-Point.

Do you have personal experience with Hi Point that makes you say that? Just asking,it just sometimes feels as if people don't like particular brands without any concrete reasons...no offense meant btw. I really do appreciate the input.

OneSickPsycho
01-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Hmmm...good point. I considered a 357 revolver,maybe a Taurus or something. How about the 40,380 or 9mm?

Exactly... You'd spend more in ammo the first few times at the range than you did buying the gun itself!

ericr
01-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Exactly... You'd spend more in ammo the first few times at the range than you did buying the gun itself!

I'd go with the .40 but that's just my personal preference. 380 ammo is usually more than .9mm and as much or more than .40 and the .380 is not a very hard hitting round. If you want cheap ammo too then go with the 9mm but get some decent brand with good hollow points and test them for reliability before keeping it loaded w/ them. Buy full metal jacket rounds for target shooting, they're the cheapest. If you have gun shows in your area, look for Georgia Arms, they sell ammo. They have good inexpensive full metal jacket loads and they have real good defense loads with Speer Gold Dot hollow points. I like their stuff and have never had a misfire in thousands of rounds.

nhgunnut
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
I have handled and shot the Hi Point. The best I can say about it is it went bang. It was extremely heavy in weight as well as VERY hard to cycle, and it had a vauge aproximation of sights. If I were buy a semi automatic on that budget I would lean toward eastern block Tok's great CZ 52 is fine and the Makarov is great. If it has to be 45 one of the phillpine 1911's or a balasta molina woudl be worth saving for

Rider
01-16-2009, 09:31 AM

How about a .357 Sig semi auto? Very nice round if you ask me. Better than any .40 S&W.

fnfalman
01-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Do you have personal experience with Hi Point that makes you say that? Just asking,it just sometimes feels as if people don't like particular brands without any concrete reasons...no offense meant btw. I really do appreciate the input.

No. I don't have personal experience with Hi-Point. Nor do I have personal experiences with Davies, Jennings and Ravens. There's a reason for that: they're craps that you cannot rely to trust your life to.

Does this mean that everybody has to buy a custom tuned Les Baer? No. Does this mean that everybody has to own an HK or a SIG? No. But there are plenty of used revolvers from decent (if not spectacular) manufacturers like Taurus and Rossi that should fit the $150 budgets.

Amorok
01-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Not true at all, you can find most rounds in packs of 100 for surprisingly low prices at Wal-Mart of all places. Look, you might be able to get a cheap gun and cheap bullets, but that's like buying a cheap car or a cheap whore, you might luck out but more likely you'll regret it. And since you probably won't shoot that much you'd be better served buying something reliable that can sit for long periods of time without a lot of attention. Leave that hi-point in your drawer for a few weeks and it'll jam on you, and you won't be concealing it at all. It's too big and besides, the lint from your clothes will turn it into a paperweight when you need it to shoot. If you're serious just pick up a used Glock. They're much more reliable, you can get them in loads of good calibers as well as pussy 9mm, and they'll fix it for you as well. If you do buy this lug let me know so I can be there to fix it when it breaks on you.

Amber Lamps
01-16-2009, 04:27 PM
How about a .357 Sig semi auto? Very nice round if you ask me. Better than any .40 S&W.

Sig? I would definitely be down for a 357 semi!

Rider
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Sig? I would definitely be down for a 357 semi!

Yeah, it's a 40 S&W necked down to fit a .355 bullet(.357 magnum). Developed my Sig Sauer. It has the same characteristics of a 357 magnum round in a semi auto cartridge. Since it's a bottle neck design, they are far less susceptible to jamming than standard rounds. Most 40 S&W's will convert to a .357 SIG with a simple barrel change. You need to however get a gun of good quality to handle the extra pressure of the .357 SIG round.

Amber Lamps
01-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Not true at all, you can find most rounds in packs of 100 for surprisingly low prices at Wal-Mart of all places. Look, you might be able to get a cheap gun and cheap bullets, but that's like buying a cheap car or a cheap whore, you might luck out but more likely you'll regret it. And since you probably won't shoot that much you'd be better served buying something reliable that can sit for long periods of time without a lot of attention. Leave that hi-point in your drawer for a few weeks and it'll jam on you, and you won't be concealing it at all. It's too big and besides, the lint from your clothes will turn it into a paperweight when you need it to shoot. If you're serious just pick up a used Glock. They're much more reliable, you can get them in loads of good calibers as well as pussy 9mm, and they'll fix it for you as well. If you do buy this lug let me know so I can be there to fix it when it breaks on you.

I totally understand what you mean but this isn't that important to me. I'm really not trying to defend my castle from the Hotentots or anything. I was just going to play around and go shoot with some of the boys around here... The thing that draws me to the Hi Point other than price is the simplicity of it's design. I don't see how it could jam,given proper ammo,of course. There's a Gun Show in a couple weeks,so I'm to wait until then and see what I can find. Besides,maybe I can get some money/trade for the 4 true switch blades that I have. :whistle: Three of which are American made!:pat:

Carolina
01-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I have the 40 and 380 from highpoint and yes the cheap price attracted me. They do jam when fired rapidly with cheap wally world rounds. when you are actually targeting and firing sensibly they are pretty good. the 40 and 45 are def too damnnn biggggg, you don't want them for personal carry. but for a range toy when your bored it would be cool my 380 is perfect and she never really jams even when firing rapidly. i am keeping both of mine but plan on getting that taurus 24/7 pro soon or prob some type of revolver.

nhgunnut
01-19-2009, 08:00 AM
I am saying it again, having shot the High Point for sumilar money you can have a proven relaible semi. Makarov

Amorok
01-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I totally understand what you mean but this isn't that important to me. I'm really not trying to defend my castle from the Hotentots or anything.And I'm not trying to race my bike or anything, but I still wear a helmet. I was just going to play around and go shoot with some of the boys around here...And if you bring a Hi-Point they're all gonna laugh at you. The thing that draws me to the Hi Point other than price is the simplicity of it's design. I don't see how it could jam,given proper ammo,of course.Trust me, it wall surprise you. The things are jam-o-matics. And once those pins get stuck or bent the gun's finished. Want something simple? Get a Glock, and HK USP or a 1911. Want something simple and cheap? Get a Glock. There's a Gun Show in a couple weeks,so I'm to wait until then and see what I can find. Besides,maybe I can get some money/trade for the 4 true switch blades that I have. :whistle: Three of which are American made!:pat:Good call, check your local shows first. A couple of manufacturers have new lines coming out so there will be some good guns for cheap over the next few months. As for the switchblades, what kind of condition and how much you want?

Amber Lamps
01-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure if I feel comfortable selling something with potential federal charges over the forum...:sorry:

Adeptus_Minor
01-21-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm not sure if I feel comfortable selling something with potential federal charges over the forum...:sorry:

Someone is offering to buy or sell a gun here?

Mr Lefty
01-21-2009, 03:30 AM
Someone is offering to buy or sell a gun here?

no switchblade

Adeptus_Minor
01-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Oh, yeah.. wouldn't suggest that either unless you're active military or law enforcement.

Mr Lefty
01-21-2009, 03:45 AM
don't think active military can have one either... but :idk:

Adeptus_Minor
01-21-2009, 03:47 AM
Perhaps not, or maybe it depends on your particular job :idk:
I just remember back when EDGE company sold automatic knives, they were labeled "For military or law enforcement only"

From Jax Knives' website:

AUTO LAW FORM

IN COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL STATUTES: Read carefully all of the conditions set forth below. By placing an order with Jax Knives, you agree that you meet any or all of the following criteria. PROOST ENTERPRISES/JAX KNIVES can only ship Automatic knives to customers who meet one or more of the requirements below. Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, exempting Florida, with the following exceptions:

(1) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such organization;

(2) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;

(3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;

(4) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).

Mr Lefty
01-21-2009, 03:55 AM
ahh intresting... wonder if only certain jobs are authorized to.... and I know when I went to the desert I was issued a bench made knife that was spring loaded... fuck'n bad ass knife... too bad they were accountable and had to be returned...

Adeptus_Minor
01-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Well, iirc, you can own "assisted opening", which has a tension spring that makes opening it one-handed easier.
You just can't have the true autos.

Mr Lefty
01-21-2009, 04:35 AM
thses weren't spring assisted... they were spring loaded... good amount of force when they opened too... if you didn't hold them tight they'd fly out of your hand...

but good to know

Adeptus_Minor
01-21-2009, 04:38 AM
Yeah, I figured your issued knives were either McHenry or Pardue designs.
Did they open out the front or flip open from the side?

Mr Lefty
01-21-2009, 04:42 AM
flip from the side... like a normal pocket knife...

Adeptus_Minor
01-21-2009, 04:45 AM
Ok, then probably a Mel Pardue design.

But we've veered way off course... but who cares.
I have more respect for a man who owns a good knife and knows how to use it than for one with a closet full of guns and no clue.