PDA

View Full Version : Changinf chain and sprockets

Phenix_Rider
01-17-2009, 04:53 PM
I've tried a 1/2" breaker bar, mallet on the breaker bar, and a 1/2" air impact gun. Cannot get my front sprocket nut loose. I have someone holding the rear brake with it in neutral, so the rear wheel isn't moving. I made sure the washer is clear of the nut, sprayed it with WD40... I marked the nut with a permanent marker, and the SOB won't turn! With the breaker bar, I figured the suspension was compressing. With the impact, I can see the chain shaking. This thing is supposed to be torqued to 92 ft-lbs. The impact gun should have several hundred ft-lbs. I just tried again with a 3' length of pipe on the handle of my breaker bar, using a 6-point socket, with someone on the rear brake and the bike in first. That's a couple hundred ft-lbs at least. I turned the rear wheel, and turned the engine over! What is wrong here? Everything I've found, and my inspection of the threads says this nut is standard- left should be loose!! (counterclockwise)

:panic: What kind of king kong maniac with an impact wrench put this thing on?

Cutty72
01-17-2009, 05:19 PM
My guess would be it's a left handed thread, just cause of the normal direction of rotation.

is there a locking ring or key in it?

That's the ideas I have, sorry.

Gas Man
01-18-2009, 03:59 AM
Cutty is right... could be either.

Also try a higher gear in the tranny... higher gear=bigger gear.

Also consider that nut was probably put on with high strength loctite. Get a heat gun and heat it up then hit it with the impact gun. Make sure your air compressor is turned up!

mlkx3
01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
If its anyting like the 10r, use a slightly bigger socket to pound the washer away from the nut. Inspect and use a punch and hammer to do the same, it looks like its flat enough but its not, its a kawi thing.

Phenix_Rider
01-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Finally got the motherfucker loose. Had to go out and buy a 625 ft-lb impact, beat the snot out of the washer, and use a heat gun. After all that, it still took reversing the impact several times, then when it finally broke loose, the nut came flying off and skittered across the floor. The sprocket itself came off the shaft with two fingers.

Whatever prick put the thing on didn't know how to use a torque wrench. That was no 92 ft-lbs.

Phenix_Rider
01-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Damnit. Apparently all 520 chains are not alike. The stock rivet master link I got at the dealer doesn't fit the new RK chain. So I had to put the stupid clip master in that the chain came with. Now I have to order an RK rivet master. Other than that, no (more) problems to report. it's ridable.

bmblebee
01-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Don't forget to safety wire the clip master link, I have had them come apart. How did you compress the plate on the link before you installed the clip?

Gas Man
01-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah and I suggest you order 2 replacement links.. just in case you screw up the first one. Plus if you don't, you'll have a spare anyway.

Phenix_Rider
01-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Don't forget to safety wire the clip master link, I have had them come apart. How did you compress the plate on the link before you installed the clip?

I won't be using the clip link AT ALL. I've heard way too much to trust it. I've only found the rivet master at chaparral, and it looks like I'm going to get ripped on shipping for a $6 part. :panic:

bmblebee
01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
buy several, you will use them

marko138
01-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Chain and sprocket = teh suck.

Phenix_Rider
01-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Chain and sprocket = teh suck.

You still have pulleys (sprockets) to change.

Cutty72
01-23-2009, 11:47 PM

I don't think the pulleys are going to wear out. :idk:
I know the belt has a lifetime warranty... not too worried about the pulleys.

OneSickPsycho
01-24-2009, 12:11 AM

Negative. Lifetime FTW.

marko138
01-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm just talking about the act of changing that shit. Sucky. I'll worry about those pulleys when and if that comes up.