PDA

View Full Version : Full size truck reccomendations

SteveP
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
So I'm in the markety for an 07 or new full sized truck in the next month or so. I've been shopping around the dealership and I've inspected all the big players. My criteria is pretty straight foreword. It must have: leather, a V8, and four doors. Since all the manufactures offer some sort of these, it's coming down to looks.

Dodge Ram - Terrible interior, feels cheap and plastic ( like most Dodge/Chryslers). Rebates are lacking and the MSRP is about 10k higher then comparably equipped trucks from other manufacturers. Pretty much off the list.

Toyota Tundra - Again the interior turns it off for me. For such a big cab, it feels cramped and isolated. The gauge cluster looks like a spaceship, and I would be afraid to touch anything! Exterior seems like a solid truck.

Nissan Titan - Kinda of an opposite thing for this one. The interior is the biggest selling point. Very clean and organized inside with useful options. Not sure if I like the lines on the exterior though. Seems kind of odd.

Ford F150 - The 09's looked ridiculous so I concentrated on the 08's. I love the outside of these trucks. Good lines and it looks like a truck (does that make sense). The interior feels like a car ( much like the tundra) , which is a big turn off for me.

Chevy/GMC - This is the truck I'm having the hardest time with. The interior and exterior are the best looking in its class (IMO of course) But... I've owned both an S10 and a Tahoe in the past. Both of which had quality control issues. Handles breaking, interior plastic cracking, a/c failing. I loved the trucks, but reliability is an issue.

That all being said. Does anyone have any advice to offer about the trucks? Things I may have missed or overlooked? I've yet to drive any of these so all my observations have been on the lot.

Thanks! :rockout:

Rider
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
My pick would be the Tundra. 2nd pick would be the Chevy/GMC. It all comes down to looks and comfort. The Tundra will have a better resale.

shmike
01-20-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd pick the Titan, hands down.

The ford and Chevy are a toss up based on personal preference and how long you intend to keep it.

azoomm
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Toyota Tundra - Again the interior turns it off for me. For such a big cab, it feels cramped and isolated. The gauge cluster looks like a spaceship, and I would be afraid to touch anything! Exterior seems like a solid truck.

Huh?

They have two options on the four door. Are you sure you looked at the big one? I have the CrewMax which is the full front and back doors. The backseat can actually recline - and the back doors are larger than the front doors.

I drove the Nissan, Ford and Dodge in comparison and the Tundra won hands down... it drives better, has a better turning radius and the stopping power is incredible. That, and it drifts better when going through hairpins :whistle: I currently hold the track record for stock pickups at H2R in my Tundra:lol:

TitMouse77
01-20-2009, 03:46 PM
The SO and got a 06 F250 lariat/FX4 and it is pimp!

I love the F150 too but we needed to have a truck for toyhauler in the future.

SteveP
01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Huh?

They have two options on the four door. Are you sure you looked at the big one? I have the CrewMax which is the full front and back doors. The backseat can actually recline - and the back doors are larger than the front doors.

I sat in both the crew max and the smaller version. There was plenty of room, but with the center console and the gauge layout it just feels smaller. The backseat wasn't an issue in the crewmax at all.

fasternyou929
01-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I'd pick the Titan, hands down.

The ford and Chevy are a toss up based on personal preference and how long you intend to keep it.

Agreed. I have an '05 and still get compliments on the interior. Hell, it's where you and anybody riding with you spend most of the time, anyway.

It also rides far better than any other truck I've driven, tows smooth, and is much quieter inside than the Silverado.

I can't think of a better truck to get to track days with. And neither can most of my friends, which is why the odometer never seems to stop. :lol:

One last thing - the back seat is HUGE in the Titan. Large enough for 3 adults to sit comfortable for a 5+ hour road trip, even with the front seats all the way back.

Riceaholic
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Agreed. I have an '05 and still get compliments on the interior. Hell, it's where you and anybody riding with you spend most of the time, anyway.

It also rides far better than any other truck I've driven, tows smooth, and is much quieter inside than the Silverado.

I can't think of a better truck to get to track days with. And neither can most of my friends, which is why the odometer never seems to stop. :lol:

One last thing - the back seat is HUGE in the Titan. Large enough for 3 adults to sit comfortable for a 5+ hour road trip, even with the front seats all the way back.

My girl has an 06' Titan LE 4 door and that truck is the sheeeit. I've had some F 150's in the past and they were ok but the Nissan would be my choice hands down. The back seat is just as roomy as the rear seats in my Suburban.

fasternyou929
01-20-2009, 06:04 PM
My girl has an 06' Titan LE 4 door and that truck is the sheeeit. I've had some F 150's in the past and they were ok but the Nissan would be my choice hands down. The back seat is just as roomy as the rear seats in my Suburban.

That's what I have also, except an '05, with every option possible. Couldn't be happier with it. :)

Don't see too many girls driving full size trucks! :drool:

Bluestreak
01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Chevy FTW!

I own an 04 dodge. If I were buying today, I'd look at the F-150 and the Silverado as my primary choices. I was never a fan of the Titan or the Tundra.

I haven't driven the new F-150 but I love the 09 silverado.

Riceaholic
01-20-2009, 07:37 PM
That's what I have also, except an '05, with every option possible. Couldn't be happier with it. :)

Don't see too many girls driving full size trucks! :drool:

She loves it and the quad cab makes it so much easier with the baby seat. The dual climate control is sweet too...

azoomm
01-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I sat in both the crew max and the smaller version. There was plenty of room, but with the center console and the gauge layout it just feels smaller. The backseat wasn't an issue in the crewmax at all.

I know what you mean, I could fit my 11-year-old daughter in that console :lol:

But, that said... hmmmmmmmm I guess I just have had such good luck with Toyotas, or was it bad luck with Fords?

Cutty72
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm a Ford fan, so F150.
My next truck will be a F150 or F250, depending on what I do full time and how into track/racing etc I decide to get.

OneSickPsycho
01-20-2009, 08:53 PM
If I were looking for an actual truck, I'd be taking a hard look at the American offerings... They are just giving those fucking things away these days.

101lifts2
01-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Chevy is the best overall followed close by Ford and Nissan. Toyota is dead last lol.

The Titan is nice, the MPG sucks ass. You can get 21 in the Chevy with the 5.3

Ninjakel
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I have an F150. LOVE it!!!

shmike
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Chevy is the best overall followed close by Ford and Nissan. Toyota is dead last lol.

The Titan is nice, the MPG sucks ass. You can get 21 in the Chevy with the 5.3

BS

I hear all these crazy numbers coming from the GM guys but they never seem to pan out.

Every 5.3L GM owner that I know that drives in real world driving gets about 2-3 mpg better than my Hemi.

derf
01-20-2009, 10:29 PM
The titan is the best pick IMHO, it really is much better than the other trucks in its class, and it had the top performance numbers until ford came out with the new f150. fit and finish are friggin incredible for a truck too.

As far as chevy, their quality control has improved alot since the days of teh s10. I had an s10 and I loved it but I had teh same small issues with small stuff breaking over time. But I now own a colorado and it is 10x better than the s10 ever was. The interior is much better than the s10 ever was or could wish to be.

SteveP
01-21-2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to start test driving trucks in about 3 weeks. I'm in the middle of a move right now (Hawaii to Florida). Once that's done I have the OK from the wife to make the choice. Looking to be between the Titan and Silverado/Sierra.

fasternyou929
01-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm in the middle of a move right now (Hawaii to Florida).

Ouch, you have my condolences!!

R6Chick
01-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Since I've done many track days over the last few years and everyone I know owns a truck, I've driven all of those trucks you have listed except for the GM models.

My vote would be the Titan. Faster's Titan not only is comfortable on long trips in both the front and back, it drives pretty well.. especially while lost in south Miami. haha.

If not the titan, I like my boyfriend's 2006 F150. The interior is nice and it handles decent (for a full-sized truck). I'm just on the fence when it comes to reliability, his has an oil leak that began at 52,000 miles and no mechanics can seem to find it. Ford began offering much better warranties on the 2007 models that go up to 60,000/60 months, so this may not be as much of an issue.:idk:

fasternyou929
01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
My vote would be the Titan. Faster's Titan not only is comfortable on long trips in both the front and back, it drives pretty well.. especially while lost in south Miami. haha.

:lol: Saying the Nav was a life-saver that day may not even be much of an exaggeration. :panic:

R6Chick
01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
:lol: Saying the Nav was a life-saver that day may not even be much of an exaggeration. :panic:

Haha, except that it took Shmike 45 drunkin' minutes to figure it out. We took the senic route. Too funny.

101lifts2
01-21-2009, 02:41 PM
BS

I hear all these crazy numbers coming from the GM guys but they never seem to pan out.

Every 5.3L GM owner that I know that drives in real world driving gets about 2-3 mpg better than my Hemi.

I got 21MPG driving from LA to Phoenix...but 17 on the way back. Must of been downhill on the way there. lol

I got 18-19 city/highway with my 2007 with a 5.3L and I know a few that own Titans that get 13-15 all the time. 2-3 MPG more when you are in the teens is a huge advantage.

101lifts2
01-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Since I've done many track days over the last few years and everyone I know owns a truck, I've driven all of those trucks you have listed except for the GM models.

If not the titan, I like my boyfriend's 2006 F150. The interior is nice and it handles decent (for a full-sized truck). I'm just on the fence when it comes to reliability, his has an oil leak that began at 52,000 miles and no mechanics can seem to find it. Ford began offering much better warranties on the 2007 models that go up to 60,000/60 months, so this may not be as much of an issue.:idk:

Titans are nice minus the fuel consumption. They suck and for some reason the Japs know how to control fuel in 4cylinders, but forget everything in a 6 or 8.

shmike
01-21-2009, 02:48 PM
I got 21MPG driving from LA to Phoenix...but 17 on the way back. Must of been downhill on the way there. lol

I got 18-19 city/highway with my 2007 with a 5.3L and I know a few that own Titans that get 13-15 all the time. 2-3 MPG more when you are in the teens is a huge advantage.

I can get over 20mpg downhill too. :lol:

Don't forget, you are comparing a 5.3L to 5.7L's.

An extra 30-40 hp/tq makes a huge difference too.

The GM 6.0 has 20 more HP than my Hemi, makes the same torque and get worse mileage. But that's not a fair comparison, is it? :wink:

101lifts2
01-21-2009, 05:10 PM
I can get over 20mpg downhill too. :lol:

Don't forget, you are comparing a 5.3L to 5.7L's.

An extra 30-40 hp/tq makes a huge difference too.

The GM 6.0 has 20 more HP than my Hemi, makes the same torque and get worse mileage. But that's not a fair comparison, is it? :wink:

The Titan's 5.6L has 317HP.. http://autos.yahoo.com/nissan_truck_titan_crew_cab/

With a Rating of 13/17

Vs..GMs 5.3L at 315HP...
http://www.kbb.com/kbb/NewCars/2009_Chevrolet_Silverado%201500%20Extended%20Cab_P ickup.aspx

With a Rating of 14/20

Flexin
01-21-2009, 07:08 PM
I would see how you feel after the test drive. Myself It would think I would go with the Ford first. Then the Chev/GMC. But I would also like them in a 1 ton.

James

Flexin
01-21-2009, 07:09 PM
BTW I used to own a GMC Sonoma with the 4.3L. That was a good truck. Never had and interior problems that I can remember.

James

pauldun170
01-26-2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/26/video-mike-rowe-takes-on-dirty-job-of-comparing-full-size-picku/

shmike
01-26-2009, 11:16 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/26/video-mike-rowe-takes-on-dirty-job-of-comparing-full-size-picku/

Funny, they didn't include the Titan.

pickle.of.doom
01-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I know you said you like the 08 over the 09, but man, that new F-150 was the talk of the auto show. Which model got truck of the year, was it the 08 or 09?

fasternyou929
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Funny, they didn't include the Titan.

I noticed that too. I wonder why.

SteveP
01-27-2009, 02:54 AM

Interesting tests. I liked the comparison.

...but, it's paid for by Ford. I'm sure there was no bias :whistle:

nhgunnut
01-27-2009, 05:59 AM
I owned a 04 Extended Cab Titan with every available option (save Sun Roof) and the Extended Warranty for 4 years and 6 months. It was nightmare from start to finish. When the truck was operational it had a great ride and plenty of power. System Failures began the first week. With major issues occurring roughly once every 6 months. Now Since I had purchased the first year of a new model expected that there would be bugs to work out. What shocked me at first and turned into such a pattern that it turned to rage, is the absolute disdain that Nissan has for the customer after the sale. (if you would like details email me) I was forced to fight every time there was an issue to get them to honor their warranty. As a result I will never by a another New Nissan Product including their infinity line and anyone considering a Nissan truck should read the Titan forum and you are like to see a pattern of abuse by the company for your self

101lifts2
01-27-2009, 10:40 PM
I owned a 04 Extended Cab Titan with every available option (save Sun Roof) and the Extended Warranty for 4 years and 6 months. It was nightmare from start to finish. When the truck was operational it had a great ride and plenty of power. System Failures began the first week. With major issues occurring roughly once every 6 months. Now Since I had purchased the first year of a new model expected that there would be bugs to work out. What shocked me at first and turned into such a pattern that it turned to rage, is the absolute disdain that Nissan has for the customer after the sale. (if you would like details email me) I was forced to fight every time there was an issue to get them to honor their warranty. As a result I will never by a another New Nissan Product including their infinity line and anyone considering a Nissan truck should read the Titan forum and you are like to see a pattern of abuse by the company for your self

Sounds like typical Japanese when it comes to warranty.

All my vehicles have been GM. GM has never left me stranded and everything warrantied was always paid. Even a part out of warranty by 6 months was covered.

Chris S
01-27-2009, 11:17 PM
I currently hold the track record for stock pickups at H2R in my Tundra:lol:

I'd love to have a shot at that - my Ridgeline is underpowered by comparison, but the handling might just make up for it!

Chris S
01-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Have you thought about an Avalanche? I had an '05, and it was great. Rode a lot better than "normal" pickups, and the added versatility was nice. It was actually more reliable than my old '01 Tundra, which ate a couple of O2 sensors.

fasternyou929
01-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Doesn't sound like any warranty experience I've had, and I've actually OWNED Japanese made vehicles.

At least they'll be around in a couple years to warranty their stuff. :lol:

pickle.of.doom
01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I've had warranty work done on my Nissan Frontier and they were great about it, no problems at all. Maybe you have a shitty dealership nh?

Flexin
01-28-2009, 11:03 AM
My father in law has spent some big money at the Nissan dealer. For now he doesn't plan on buying another Nissan.

James

Flexin
01-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I would like to have something like this in Ford/Chev/GMC, 4x4 and diesel.

James

SteveP
01-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm very anxious to test drive the Titan. Beacuse, to be honest, I'm really only looking at domestic trucks. The imports are so new to the full size truck biz when compared to the domestics, and that worries me.

Porkchop
01-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Would most likely go with the Ford or Chevy.

If you don't like the new 2009 F150.... 2 of my buddies just bought leftover 2008 150's. One bought a two door basic ass truck, the other got the fully loaded four door. Drove both, and loved both of them. The 2009 interior is much better than the 2008 though.

I want to test drive the new Silverado. I think it looks better than the Ford. Interior isn't as nice as the new F150.

101lifts2
01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Doesn't sound like any warranty experience I've had, and I've actually OWNED Japanese made vehicles.

At least they'll be around in a couple years to warranty their stuff. :lol:

They fix stuff that is broke, but when it comes to tire flats, stuff out of warranty, scratches on interior components the Japs won't cover it, but GM always did for me. You give alittle to a customer out of the normal flow and you will earn him back for the next go around. Pretty smart IMO...

01-28-2009, 08:47 PM
FORD.

I'm a chevy guy, that hurts to say.

Where's that link to the shootout at Ford's testing grounds? They embrarrassed the shit outta the competition, for my money.

Edit:

Here is comparo (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/25/video-fords-silver-creek-truck-torture-test-track/)

More here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/26/video-mike-rowe-takes-on-dirty-job-of-comparing-full-size-picku?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_autoblog

fasternyou929
01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
They fix stuff that is broke, but when it comes to tire flats, stuff out of warranty, scratches on interior components the Japs won't cover it, but GM always did for me. You give alittle to a customer out of the normal flow and you will earn him back for the next go around. Pretty smart IMO...

Definitely, I'm a huge fan of customer service and gladly spend my money where I know I'll be taken care of. Even if it costs more for the same thing.

nhgunnut
01-28-2009, 10:44 PM

All my vehicles have been GM. GM has never left me stranded and everything warrantied was always paid. Even a part out of warranty by 6 months was covered.

By far my best experience to date has been Hyundai but saddly they dont make a pick up

midwesternerr
01-28-2009, 11:20 PM
i drive an 07 f150 and i absolutely love it, im a little biased but the f150 gets my vote!

101lifts2
01-30-2009, 02:03 AM
i drive an 07 f150 and i absolutely love it, im a little biased but the f150 gets my vote!

I test drove an 07 F150 with a V-6 and 5speed manual. I loved that truck with the manual...shifted very smooth.