PDA

View Full Version : Gear Navigator Tailbag

derf
01-21-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/3/5/1/600pix/35160049.jpg

Ok, christmas came late for me this year, and it arrived on what is possible the coldest day of this year. If it was warmer I might have spent more time trying to figure out how to attach it to my bike, being freezing cold and dark I just gave up for the night and took it off to go back into the house. But I do have some initial impressions.

It's huge, I can easily carry a weeks worth of clothes, with room to spare, and places to strap other stuff down on top of it. This bag is 52liters, with one large main compartment that is accessible from the top. The top flap has a mesh compartment that is perfect for carying smaller electronics, important documents, stuff like that. I think that I could fit anything that I might need for a very long trip in just the main compartment.

To each side of the main compartment are smaller and slightly less accessible compartments. Each side could easily hold a pair of sneakers or two. They are decent size and shape, and look like they could be perfect to hold enough personal hygene items to satisfy the most demanding woman.

The top of the bag looks like when it's fully packed it would be fairly flat, and there are some straps on top so that you can strap down anything else you can think of. Another bag or a tent, sleeping bag, and air matress come to mind as the firts things to get strapped to it.

The bag also comes with a handy dandy carry handle and a shoulder strap to transport it easily at the end of the day. Bungee chords are all over this thing, and they look like they woul be perfect to use to either hold the bags contents from shifting or to hold something on the bag. There is a small pouch at the front of the bag that holds the rain cover. The rain cover looks like it would fit over the full bag perfectly, but I have my doubts as to how waterproof it would really make the bag, especially since I expect a decent amount of water to splash from the tires into the under side of the bag which faces the bike.

The attachment look very solid if properly done, but...

And to the negatives.

1 - I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to put it on the bike before I got too cold and gave up. The front straps look very easy to attach to the rear foot pegs. There is also a very robust velco strap that goes under the seat. But I couldn't find an easy spot to attach my rear straps. the instructions just say "a secure place" and teh picture shows them wrapped around turn signals. I have flushmounts, and even if I had stalk turn signals I dont think I would use them as an attachment point for a bag. I need to spend more time looking at the back of the bike so that I can figure out a good way of attaching the straps.

2 - The attachment straps use aluminum buckles, which look like they are strong enough to hold me down. The down side is that they are aluminum and can easily scratch or gouge the bodywork, there are nifty little pads that sit under the buckles, but they also look like they might easily slip out from under the buckle letting it rest directly against the plastic.

3 - The straps aren't permanently attached, to take the bag off the bike you would need to remove all four straps plus the seat strap. And it would also be very easy to leave them on the bike and then the strap get cought in a moving parts and torn apart.

Other than those negative the bag looks huge, strong, and ready to go for a long ride with lots of gear. I will update this after I take the bag out for a ride, and after I figure out how to attach it to the tail.

tommymac
01-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Looks good fred. I would like to get a tail bag but need something I can mount when the hard bags are on there. even getting bungee cords on there are a pita.

tom

OneSickPsycho
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Looks solid.

Mr Lefty
01-22-2009, 04:29 PM
your rear strap problem is one I had with my cortech saddle bags... what I ended up doing is looping the two parts that are supposed to attach to the bike together... make'n them one... and then clipping the bag to it...

so in a since you have each side secured to the other... it's not gonna hold the bag down... but it'll hold it from flapping in the wind.

this is the best pic I have

Sixxxxer
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Sounds good...I ordered the same one.

My only concern is I have undertail exhaust so the rear mounting points I might need to figure out how to secure it down...I have my Factory turn signals but I am with you I dont feel comfortable strapping down my luggage to the Turn signal stalks...

We'll see when I get it...

Cant wait for the Rally!!

derf
01-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Tommy, From the looks of it you could probably lay this bag down over the back seat and across a set of hard bags, it would probably work well too.

Ebbs, I don't think I can do the same thing, the bag won't sit lower than my tail, and the way the bag sits over the tail, it wouldn't allow me to run the strap down, instead the strap would slide out from under my tail. I do have a plan though, but I am waiting for a warm day to try it out

Mr Lefty
01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
ahh ok... yeah it was hard to explain so hope that pic helped :lol:

intresting... post up a pic of what you do... when you do it...

tommymac
01-23-2009, 02:59 AM
Sixxer I def wouldnt mount the bags or secure them to the signal stalks.

Fred I guess I would have ot look at your bag and my bike when I have the hard bags on there to see what I can figure out. When the bags are off the tabs that the bags mount to are good for attatching the cords to, but when theyre on its tough finding mounting points.

Tom

derf
01-23-2009, 04:58 PM
So I put the bags on the bike and went for a quick ride. I did find some places to mount the rear part of the bags, though I'm not too keen on running the straps under the seat and to the subframe, I have a feeling that the stress on the seat will eventually break it. For now it's begining to look like I will have to fabricate something to strap it to, just a small bar going across the tail, maybe an inch past the body on each side, might even be a good place to mount my plate so it doesn't look too out of place. I have a small design in my mind that would just clip in place when the bag is on and unbolt when I take it off. I will do some work on it when it gets a little warmer out and I have the time.

I also tried to do what ebbs suggested, but the bags dont come down enough to strap each side to eachother without putting alot of extra pressure on the tail bodywork, and I can easily see a few hours of riding cracking the tail to pieces from the stress of that thing on it. Not from moving around, just the small shifting of weight from every bump it would hit.

But teh bag is very secure, and when it is full the metal buckles don't get anywhere near the plastics. The only down side is that if I need to use the bag with a small load I have to watch how I mount them. I was able to easily fit 2 weeks worth of dirty laundry into it, with room to spare, and when I took it out for a ride it didn't move at all.

If there was a grab handle it would solve all the problems.

I have some pictures that I took, I will put them up later tonight, but I'm heading out to dinner in a few.

derf
01-23-2009, 10:11 PM
From the right side, Plenty of room for me, and I could adjust it further back if I want to.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1003/1000681kt8.jpg

In this one you can see where I attached the front strap, the other side is the same. I would prefer to attach it a little further down, but it keeps up and I think it might come loose if i try to strap it anywhere but as tight as I can.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8102/1000680hr0.jpg

In this exquisite photo you can see how it sits on top of my seat, and the cigs are there for size comparrison. The bag is packed with a few days worth of dirty laundry. Plus there is room left. Also if you look closely you can see where the buckles just miss going under the seat, and where I have the rear straps routed.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6136/1000683os6.jpg

You can see in this photo how far off the buckles are away from my body work, my early fears of the buckles rubbing were not founded.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4521/1000689mh0.jpg

The picture under the seat. I tried to hook to the small hooks under the seat, I eventually decided that they are good for small trips holding down a light load, this is just too big and requires a sturdy tie down. This one also shows the large velcro strap that goes under the seat.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4373/1000691ix9.jpg

This last picture is where I wound up attaching the straps to, a cross brace between the two sides of the subframe. I dont know how strong the metal is that it is wrapped around, that bracket holds the rear lock in place, and I dont want that thing moving around which means that I wont be able to open the seat, like when I first bought the bike.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4899/1000690nc1.jpg

Mr Lefty
01-24-2009, 06:38 AM
WOW that bag is alot shorter on the sides than I thought... no wonder you couldn't fit the straps under... but I think you found a very good place. I looped my ratchet straps on that cross brace on my bike to hold my sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, and rain gear as well as a secondary strap for the tail bag... never had a problem.

Sixxxxer
01-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Looks good Derf...I'll be running into the Same problems for the rear tie downs...But that thing looks like it fits nicely on there...lets hope it fits just as nice on the 6R...My seat is smaller tha yours.

rogue
01-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Bah! Get a nice size bungee net and bungee that bitch! :D

I need to find a bag.....

derf
01-31-2009, 10:40 AM
I got a few bunggee nets, they are for the booze and the birds

ZUKIMON
02-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice looking bag. ;) I've thought about getting one myself, but the one thing that I see being a problem for me is my foot hitting it and either getting it nasty or knocking it off alltogether. I would like to have the extra space sometimes though.

rogue
02-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Nice looking bag. ;) I've thought about getting one myself, but the one thing that I see being a problem for me is my foot hitting it and either getting it nasty or knocking it off alltogether. I would like to have the extra space sometimes though.

Learn to throw your leg over higher.

Seriously.

I'm 5'1" in a good day. My bike is at stock height and I can throw my leg over my hard case. :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/SVRogue/jacketbike.jpg

ZUKIMON
02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
You're right, I'm lazy when it comes to putting my leg over. I'm 6' and overweight, but man this 929 is crazy tall. I plan on dropping the preload on the rear a notch or two as it's on the next to last click from the top. It also makes it super stiff. I figure that the PO did this for better wheelies, but who knows? lol

Mr Lefty
02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
what you do is not throw your leg over... you kinda kick over.... even at 6'3 if I try throw'n my leg over my bags I'll catch my foot about 50% of the time...

tommymac
02-12-2009, 11:47 PM
I am kicking around these 2 since they work on th efutura with the hard bags on.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=204%2DCL150&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=00ED69E20480C466396B32AC5EB3126C

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/921/340/

Obviously price may become a factor in all this, but will see in a week or 2 when I get paid again.

Tom

rogue
02-13-2009, 12:52 AM
what you do is not throw your leg over... you kinda kick over.... even at 6'3 if I try throw'n my leg over my bags I'll catch my foot about 50% of the time...

Kick...throw over...same thing to me. As short as I am I have to make a conscious effort anytime I *throw/kick* my leg over regardless if I have a something on back or not. Otherwise I'll kick my bike. :lol:

tommymac
02-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Kick...throw over...same thing to me. As short as I am I have to make a conscious effort anytime I *throw/kick* my leg over regardless if I have a something on back or not. Otherwise I'll kick my bike. :lol:

Dont have those problems at 6'4 :nee: but with the hard bags and a tank bag it should be interesting. It was interesting getting on and off goldwings at the bike show.

tom

derf
02-13-2009, 01:09 AM
I thought you just had to step over the bike and sit down?

tommymac
02-13-2009, 01:19 AM
I thought you just had to step over the bike and sit down?

maybe on a litlte 250 but my priller is made for us larger folks :lol:

Tom

tommymac
02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
I just bought myself this for the trip and to help with commuting

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...6B32AC5EB3126C

rogue
02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
I just bought myself this for the trip and to help with commuting

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...6B32AC5EB3126C

I got a "page cannot be found" error :(

tommymac
02-20-2009, 07:12 AM
I got a "page cannot be found" error :(

Me too I guess thats a fail for me.

let me go to the site and link up the page

Tom

tommymac
02-20-2009, 07:15 AM
ok see if this works

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=204%2DCL150&gift=False&0=assets%2Fhtml%2Fd%5Fstreet%2Easp%2CnavId%3Dd%5Fs treet%2A0%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CStreet&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D432%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tr ee%3D0%2CStreet%20Bags%20%26%20Luggage&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D505%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tr ee%3D1%2CNelson%2DRigg%20Bags%20%26%20Luggage&3=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D284%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tr ee%3D2%2CNelson%2DRigg%20Tail%20Bags&HSLB=False&mscssid=D7DDDB1B25014267BCA940687171216A

Tom

rogue
02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
ok see if this works

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=204%2DCL150&gift=False&0=assets%2Fhtml%2Fd%5Fstreet%2Easp%2CnavId%3Dd%5Fs treet%2A0%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2CStreet&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D432%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tr ee%3D0%2CStreet%20Bags%20%26%20Luggage&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D505%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tr ee%3D1%2CNelson%2DRigg%20Bags%20%26%20Luggage&3=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D284%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tr ee%3D2%2CNelson%2DRigg%20Tail%20Bags&HSLB=False&mscssid=D7DDDB1B25014267BCA940687171216A

Tom

That's one of the bags I was looking at and cheaper than what I had found it for too! :dthumb:

Amorok
02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Man, you guys go all out! I just strap my old duffel bag to my sissy bar, it lays over my saddlebags and I'm good. If I have a passenger I strap it behind the sissy bar to my LUGGAGE RACK. Cruiser FTW.

rogue
02-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Man, you guys go all out! I just strap my old duffel bag to my sissy bar, it lays over my saddlebags and I'm good. If I have a passenger I strap it behind the sissy bar to my LUGGAGE RACK. Cruiser FTW.

I *was* going to get a bag, but looks like I'm just going to get another big backpack and a new bungee net.....

It's not like I haven't done that before. Every trip I've taken on the bike has been with a backpack and a bungee net. :lol:

Amorok
02-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Eww, backpack. I've got enough heavy crap on me, with my helmet, jacket, jeans, boots, gloves, iPod, earphones, beer... No thanks. I'll take my overstuffed fat guy bike, you kids can scream past me and my cooler as fast as you want.

rogue
02-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Eww, backpack. I've got enough heavy crap on me, with my helmet, jacket, jeans, boots, gloves, iPod, earphones, beer... No thanks. I'll take my overstuffed fat guy bike, you kids can scream past me and my cooler as fast as you want.

*ahem* I don't wear the backpack. I bungee net it down to the back seat. I can carry about 3 days worth of clothes, etc in a backpack. :D Besides, I need my back free for my camel pak. :lol:

the chi
02-26-2009, 12:17 PM

And then you ride by and knock your friends over with your gigantic luggage racks! :lol:

Rogue, I'll have to see if I can find the set I bought last year for the Indy trip. It was about $100 i think, had everything, (tail, tank and 2 saddlebags) and while not as big as some or expensive, it was more than enough for my little self and worked very well. Then I strapped the backpack with raingear and laptop for a back cushion, it worked GREAT! What silly person WEARS a backpack for long trips? That equals instant backache no more than a bit into a trip, been there, done that, learned lesson!

Dont forget folks, if theres a Post Office nearby, you can also save yourself some trouble of repacking for the return trip (if you buy things) and mail some of your stuff back home before you leave!

rogue
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Dont forget folks, if theres a Post Office nearby, you can also save yourself some trouble of repacking for the return trip (if you buy things) and mail some of your stuff back home before you leave!

And then there's that option. I may do that too. I'll have to see how much shipping would be.

the chi
02-26-2009, 12:29 PM
And then there's that option. I may do that too. I'll have to see how much shipping would be.

CHEAP. For 3 days worth of dirty clothes and some miscellaneous stuff, it was like $6.

rogue
02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
CHEAP. For 3 days worth of dirty clothes and some miscellaneous stuff, it was like $6.

That's it? Wow. I just may go ahead and do that then. :D

Mr Lefty
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
And then you ride by and knock your friends over with your gigantic luggage racks! :lol:
I will get you yet! :whistle:

the chi
02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I will get you yet! :whistle:

Im waiting for the "and your little dog too" line...

Mr Lefty
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I would... but it was dorthy who had the dog... not the munchkins :rofl:

the chi
02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I would... but it was dorthy who had the dog... not the munchkins :rofl:

ASS.

:lol:

Mr Lefty
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
hey you walked into it! :lol:

get your gear ready... I'll be over next week to ride

tommymac
02-26-2009, 01:54 PM
To go back on topic for a sec, I got my bag in the mail the other day. Looks realy nice. May have 2 mounting choices, one witht he bungee hooks attatched or with clips if i can attatch it directly to the seat. A few guys have tabs for that so I may look into it.

Tom

ZUKIMON
02-27-2009, 10:37 PM

Now that's one of the coolest things that I have ever heard of! :dthumb: Damn, I wish I could think of this shit!! :D

I'm with Rogue, I simply use a backpack and bungee net to hold my stuff on the tail/rear seat and then I can carry it pretty easy when I get where I'm going. I do have what has to be the largest trunk on the 929 though, so that pack will be doing a lot more staying at home now. ;)

ericr
02-28-2009, 10:37 AM

Hell Rogue, you could probably mail yourself back for $12 bucks :lmao:

the chi
02-28-2009, 10:39 AM

Welcome to the site Ebbs #2.

rogue
02-28-2009, 06:41 PM

redflip

But my bike would cost a fortune to ship back!!! :panic:

ericr
02-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Thank you :D :lol:

Mr Lefty
02-28-2009, 08:18 PM

damn... that's some high praise!

Amorok
03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I've mailed clothes back on TDY's and stuff, but I usually just wash my shit and pack it back in. Hell, ebbs if you're driving your truck I'll just throw some crap in there. I'm only bringing a small backpack's worth of clothes, and that'll get knocked out at a laundrymat. The only thing I don't like carrying around is dirty underwear and socks, but I'll just throw them away and buy new.

I am seriously thinking about putting a hitch on my bike. I can get a good deal on a trailer, and a hitch makes it easier to mount parade flags. Might have to happen.

rogue
03-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Wait...did I miss a post where Ebbs said he's trailering the bike? :scratch:

Mr Lefty
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I may... Dunno. Still gotta get leave approves. Then ill decide, but it'd be nice to have a way home encase I come upon a red light and wanna do 12o'clocks

rogue
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Gotcha. :dthumb:

Amorok
03-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Ebbs, the motorcycle ballerina.

the chi
03-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Ebbs, the motorcycle ballerina.

If only he was so graceful! :lol:

Mr Lefty
03-05-2009, 04:59 PM