PDA

View Full Version : the effects of the economy on riding

dReWpY
01-29-2009, 04:03 PM
so we know that everyone, for the most part is feeling a pinch.

what about the states budget?

do you think that the state will reduce the amount of patrol cars on the road in order to cut costs?

I think that the LEO's will be less lenient when it comes to letting ppl off for speeding, and more likely to view speeding tickets as revinue generating ventures

i heard there is rumor that the budget is so bad that the post office might not run on saturdays now

shmike
01-29-2009, 04:12 PM
I have no doubts that tickets are increasingly being used as revenue generators.

My taxes (tickets) have gone up considerably as of late.

Mr Lefty
01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
I have no doubts that tickets are increasingly being used as revenue generators.

that's what I was thinking... they may reduce patrols to cut the overhead... but fines may go up... and the amount of warnings may go down...

:idk: I haven't really experienced the crunch being out of the states... and my pay doesn't change

dReWpY
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
it sucks

Mr Lefty
01-29-2009, 04:36 PM
yeah I'll feel it here soon... but I am lucky in that my pay doesn't change really... my allowances for housing and food do... but I'm usually a couple hundred under those anyways...

one benifit of the military

JARVIS518
01-29-2009, 05:46 PM
down here in florida i heard they are requiring them to be on foot or bike more often then normal

psychochild28
01-29-2009, 05:50 PM
If the post office decides to cut a day it will be Tuesdays......they are the slowest mail days.

Well the money that the state of tennesse will see from the bailout will not even come close to helping they're debt.

Cutty72
01-29-2009, 09:23 PM
They are already having more cops sit and wait rather than driving around looking.

dReWpY
01-29-2009, 09:45 PM
i noticed an abundance of motorcade police compared to what i am use to seeing, i know i am new to the area, but its been a 1:1 ratio and its cold as fuck out, poor guys

TN is fucked, they are talking about cutting tenured track prof's at the college, thats insane

Rider
01-30-2009, 09:18 AM
There might be less cops on the roads but they are handing out more tickets. And the tickets fines are ridiculous now. $150 for 5mph over the limit.

Smittie61984
02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
First off Cops are government workers. Government workers are usually the last to get laid off in a pinch. But with tax revenue down cops are going to be out in bigger force taking tickets. Maybe less street patroling and more sitting on the side of hte road. Cars use less gass idling than they do moving.

But I have seen cop patrols up big time lately. Infact if you are coming into Atlanta. On I-285 near Doraville that town lost a GM manufacturing plant. Major loss for that town. But they control a 1/4mile stretch of I-285 on the inside lanes. They patrol that badboy full force everyday. Don't even go the speedlimit. Go either 200mph or 40mph.

marko138
02-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd say cops, while less on the streets, will definately be issuing more tickets. Watch your back.

tommymac
02-03-2009, 03:57 PM
up here they are talking all sorts of job cuts and in nassau they may let go about 100 cops (cops in my county make 100k a year) so i am sure enforcement may go up. they will stick it to the taxpayer any other way they can to.

Tom

marko138
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
A local community here laid off the POLICE CHIEF. :wtf:

smileyman
02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
The only times I have heard patrols drop is when gas is extremely high or they have a shortage of officers. The States budget would have to fall significantly from the year prior before budget adjustments and then it would cut back equipment before it does patrols or officers...

Curb
02-03-2009, 06:02 PM

stop tailgating the police and you'd be fine.

i think this past weekend they did a sting on I95 in Pompano Beach for like a 3-5mile stretch. One bike cop on an over pass with about 15 officers on the side of the road pulling the cars over...all of the proceeds were going to their budget...gotta love it. i think a ticket for 20 over down here is something like $235...Welcome to Florida, now give me your wallet - FHP

buzzcutt2
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Every morning on my way to work there are 2-5 cops busting single riders in the car pool lane.

marko138
02-03-2009, 09:12 PM
The only times I have heard patrols drop is when gas is extremely high or they have a shortage of officers. The States budget would have to fall significantly from the year prior before budget adjustments and then it would cut back equipment before it does patrols or officers...

Those are the days of old, my friend. It used to be that Law enforcement and public safety where recession proof....but not anymore. Cuts to Police departments are being made all across the country.

TrackRider54
02-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Speeding fines (aka hurry taxes) will be a good source of income for governments. You can bet that police will be out writing tickets. They will be trying to offset their salary by bringing in income.

Trip
02-06-2009, 12:10 PM
TN is fucked, they are talking about cutting tenured track prof's at the college, thats insane

tenure is fucking ghey anyway, that should be erased from our universities.

umairhashmi
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
The good thing for you as a customer is that we are willing to sell new bikes at much less than what we would be willing to do in the past. So if you are in the market for a new bike and live in sofla hit me up. Umm sorry for the shameless plug but i need to make a living too :didntdo:

dReWpY
01-23-2010, 11:38 PM
i saw a bunch of LEO's out today, but all were playing nicely for the most part

was92v
01-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I went riding in So-Central Ky (I live close to the state line) and didn't see any ST or local at all, except parked at the Police stations I passed. TN was a different story. I rode a little over a 100 miles yesterday PM.

marko138
01-25-2010, 10:26 AM
I haven't seen many cops out lately. There are usual spots where they used to be all the F'n time.

wildchild
02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
around here the new game is instead of one ticket you get three. the old way you could deal one ticket down a little. now you have to go to court and deal one or two tickets dropped but still pay full price for the last. warnings are not happening as much.

dReWpY
02-16-2010, 10:43 PM
What the hell are they hitting you with to give you three tickets?????

tommymac
02-17-2010, 07:52 AM
What the hell are they hitting you with to give you three tickets?????

Anything they can find. They can get real creative and write you a bunch of tickets when they want to and i would bet some municipalities are getting orders from above because it can generate revenue.

marko138
02-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Anything they can find. They can get real creative and write you a bunch of tickets when they want to and i would bet some municipalities are getting orders from above because it can generate revenue.
Yeah, its shitty.

dReWpY
02-17-2010, 09:43 AM
one could argue thats a good reason to keep your bike stock, nothing like a sideways plate and clear bulbs to send a cop into heat

marko138
02-17-2010, 10:25 AM
one could argue thats a good reason to keep your bike stock, nothing like a sideways plate and clear bulbs to send a cop into heat
Yeah, but who wants a stock bike?

tommymac
02-17-2010, 10:27 AM

The only thing that helps is some cops arent totally up on whats leagal and whats not for motorcycles esp if they dont deal with them too often.

dReWpY
02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah, but who wants a stock bike?

not me, but im not normal

marko138
02-17-2010, 11:19 AM
The only thing that helps is some cops arent totally up on whats leagal and whats not for motorcycles esp if they dont deal with them too often.
That is true.