PDA

View Full Version : Mirror extenders

Mr Lefty
01-31-2009, 03:27 AM
I had a pair on my ZZR for my indy trip... they fuck'n rocked. the mirrors weren't horrible before... but I was amazed what an 1" extension could do...
They'll be one of the first things I put on my new bike.

I got them from Twisted Throttle... they make some for many different models of bikes...

I know Smilie was interested... here's what the ones for his 636 looks like
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2526/563/
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/10042-350x350.jpg

The ones for my new bike... 600RR
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2512/223/
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/7241-350x350.jpg

what the ones on my ZZR looked like
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2518/223/
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/7255-350x350.jpg

here's them on my bike
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/381872412_tVHS7-L-2.jpg

Gas Man
02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Definately a good mod for a sportbike for sure!!

OneSickPsycho
02-01-2009, 08:23 PM
This was my idea for my mirrors...

http://www.thetrashcan.org/trashcan.jpg

JARVIS518
02-01-2009, 11:36 PM
do these make it easier to collapse the mirror?

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 12:10 AM
no... they don't make it any harder... but I'm only speaking for my ZZR... the RR it looks as though it creates another joint... so who knows...

I don't know how the mirrors are for the RR... but I really liked the extra range of my ZZR's extensions...

JARVIS518
02-02-2009, 12:13 AM
no... they don't make it any harder... but I'm only speaking for my ZZR... the RR it looks as though it creates another joint... so who knows...

I don't know how the mirrors are for the RR... but I really liked the extra range of my ZZR's extensions...

on my 06 RR the mirrors are very stiff which make it hard to fold them, but by looking at the pics the joint should make it a lot easier

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 12:21 AM
you could try looseing the bolt and get some graphite powder and spray in there... should help.

these are more just to allow you to not have to move your elbows or head to see behind ya...

Quick281
02-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Great link, I find that I usually have to move my body or arms around in order to check my mirrors. I think a small extension could make a big different. Thanks for posting up Ebbs. :D

Cutty72
02-02-2009, 01:56 AM
If it ever warms up enough to ride ever again i'll know how they work on the buell...

thanks ebbs

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Great link, I find that I usually have to move my body or arms around in order to check my mirrors. I think a small extension could make a big different. Thanks for posting up Ebbs. :D

no prob... they'll help out a lot! I was really pleased with them

If it ever warms up enough to ride ever again i'll know how they work on the buell...

thanks ebbs

not a problem... hope they help... and don't add to much vibration

Cutty72
02-02-2009, 02:04 AM
no prob... they'll help out a lot! I was really pleased with them

not a problem... hope they help... and don't add to much vibration

:idk: the image was just a blur in the mirror already, so it really can't get worse.

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 02:09 AM
well as long as you can pick out a car... you should be good... if you add some rubber you might be able to reduce the vibes... :idk:

mine were pretty clear... but they were before too

Cutty72
02-02-2009, 02:14 AM
well as long as you can pick out a car... you should be good... if you add some rubber you might be able to reduce the vibes... :idk:

mine were pretty clear... but they were before too

it's the lens inside the housing that vibrates. That is the prob of having the turn signals in the mirrors.

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 02:21 AM
humm... wondering if you could somehow get to the mount of the glass in the frame... it probably just needs tightening... :idk:

or... it's a buell

Cutty72
02-02-2009, 02:43 AM
humm... wondering if you could somehow get to the mount of the glass in the frame... it probably just needs tightening... :idk:

or... it's a buell

can't. it's one piece, and those that have tried have ended up breaking it.

the one solution i've seen work is to fill the gap between glass and frame with silicone. :idk: i guess it works.

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 02:48 AM
can't. it's one piece, and those that have tried have ended up breaking it.

the one solution i've seen work is to fill the gap between glass and frame with silicone. :idk: i guess it works.

but doesn't the mirror adjust independently from the frame? or do you adjust the whole thing? if the whole thing then yeah... just some silicone... if not... well try going though the signal side :idk:

marko138
02-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Bar end mirrors. Problem solved and your bike looks cooler.

Rider
02-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I put Buell Firebolt mirrors on my Kawi.

z06boy
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Luckily the R1 and even the R6 have "decent" mirrors for a sportbike and I don't have to worry about this. It does look like a good idea though since most sportbike mirrors suck.

Cutty72
02-02-2009, 03:53 PM
but doesn't the mirror adjust independently from the frame? or do you adjust the whole thing? if the whole thing then yeah... just some silicone... if not... well try going though the signal side :idk:

There is nothing that can be taken apart on the mirror/signal.
The mirror moves inside of the "frame" similar to the mirrors on your cage. A bead of silicone connecting the mirror to the frame takes out 90% of the vibes (so i've read)
The stalk and housing really don't vib much.

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
There is nothing that can be taken apart on the mirror/signal.
The mirror moves inside of the "frame" similar to the mirrors on your cage. A bead of silicone connecting the mirror to the frame takes out 90% of the vibes (so i've read)
The stalk and housing really don't vib much.

but if you silicone inside... you won't be able to adjust your mirror... :idk:

Cutty72
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
but if you silicone inside... you won't be able to adjust your mirror... :idk:

that's why you set it before you silicone it.
and with just a bead around the edge, you could always cut it and readjust it.

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
ehh... I adjusted my mirrors alot on long trips... depending on how I'm riding... laid on the tank... sitting up... ect... also when I had my bags on I had them turned out a bit more as I couldn't really see behind me so I turned them out to get a wider FOV...

up to you though... but you might try just stuff'n some foam under one edge... see if that helps... not as pretty... but easier to adjust

Cutty72
02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
i don't plan on doing anything. i just deal with the blur.

marko138
02-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Are the CR turn signals in the mirrors? I'm guessing yes. Shitty.

Cutty72
02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Are the CR turn signals in the mirrors? I'm guessing yes. Shitty.

Yes.
and i've heard they are as bad w/vibes as the R's

marko138
02-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Super Shitty. I like bar end mirrors. Much cooler....and you can actually see whats behind you.

Mr Lefty
02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
yeah... I hear ya Marko... but with the extensions... I had no issue seeing behind me... and I like the signals being up higher.

I'd rather be forced to tuck an elbow or look over my shoulder and have better visibility for those dumb fuck's who are about to turn out in front of me.

marko138
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
yeah... I hear ya Marko... but with the extensions... I had no issue seeing behind me... and I like the signals being up higher.

I'd rather be forced to tuck an elbow or look over my shoulder and have better visibility for those dumb fuck's who are about to turn out in front of me.
I assume ppl won't see me anyway...so I dont care about the signals being up high.

Mr Lefty
02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
fair enough.

Cutty72
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Shitty. I like bar end mirrors. Much cooler....and you can actually see whats behind you.

Never ridden with bar end mirrors, so i have no idea. Thinking about getting throttle meiser bar ends, for the cruise control. :dthumb:

marko138
02-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Never ridden with bar end mirrors, so i have no idea. Thinking about getting throttle meiser bar ends, for the cruise control. :dthumb:
I never did until I got this Firebolt. It had them when I bought it. I didn't like them at first...I even bought a set of stock mirrors. Then I got used to them...now I love them.

It takes some time getting used to looking down to see the mirrors.