PDA

View Full Version : Who has heated equipment?

Quick281
01-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Who here has experience with heated grips/gloves?

I have heard many good things about heated grips and now I am looking into some heated liners for my gloves/jacket in order to deal with the cold on my long trip up north.

Will I be able to power all of this on my bike or am I going to run into electrical issues if I pull too much power?

Curb
01-31-2009, 06:57 PM
talk to Thridgenxli...he has all the cold weather riding gear

CrazyKell
01-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Heated grips were a godsend for me. I don't know I how I rode without them.

Quick281
01-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Heated grips were a godsend for me. I don't know I how I rode without them.

Did they only heat up the inner parts of your palm or were the outside of your fingers warm too? Meaning the parts that would be facing the cold ass wind.

the chi
01-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Being in FL I have no need for the heated equipment, but something I use when its cold out that may be helpful are the little heatpads you can find. Hunters use them in cold weather, you can get ones for hands and feet, Ive actually tucked them into my gloves, boots and jacket and stayed comfortable on super chilly days.

Mr Lefty
01-31-2009, 07:16 PM
they only heat the palm... but the heat is enough to radiate through your fingers... or at least the ones I used on my friends snow machine were (motorcycle ones he installed on the snowmachine)

if your riding in really severe cold weather or lots of rain... check out these...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/hippo-hands/

I think no worries has something similar on his CBX

Mr Lefty
01-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Being in FL I have no need for the heated equipment, but something I use when its cold out that may be helpful are the little heatpads you can find. Hunters use them in cold weather, you can get ones for hands and feet, Ive actually tucked them into my gloves, boots and jacket and stayed comfortable on super chilly days.

the only thing about those is try'n to adjust them at speed.... when your hunting and they get too hot (and they get REALLY HOT) you can just switch hands... or set it down... if you've got one in your glove... or boot... you'd be stopp'n every 5 miles to switch it...

the chi
01-31-2009, 07:20 PM
the only thing about those is try'n to adjust them at speed.... when your hunting and they get too hot (and they get REALLY HOT) you can just switch hands... or set it down... if you've got one in your glove... or boot... you'd be stopp'n every 5 miles to switch it...

If you set them just right you dont have to adjust, but you cant put them directly on the skin, I wrapped mine in a thick paper towel, like a lil pocket, on my palm and they worked great!

Mr Lefty
01-31-2009, 07:21 PM
If you set them just right you dont have to adjust, but you cant put them directly on the skin, I wrapped mine in a thick paper towel, like a lil pocket, on my palm and they worked great!

and you did this while riding? :wtf:

then again... being a midget wearing normal people sized gear... you have space to fill. :idk:

the chi
01-31-2009, 07:24 PM
and you did this while riding? :wtf:

then again... being a midget wearing normal people sized gear... you have space to fill. :idk:

Yes ass...actually I did it on part of the indy trip too...hey, when you are as cold natured as I am, you do whatever it takes to stay that little bit warmer!

Mr Lefty
01-31-2009, 07:32 PM
it wasn't cold riding up to indy! :wtf: I don't think it got below 70.

derf
01-31-2009, 07:42 PM
I had a few electrical goodies on my old ninja, and if I ran ecerything the bike didn't put out enough power.

The most I had going was a radar detector, grips, vest, and charging my gadgets. It was too much for the electrical system, and I wound up having to shut the grips off to run the vest, and vica versa. It wasn't as bad as it sounds because they did stay warm for a while anyway

Mr Lefty
01-31-2009, 07:48 PM
I had a few electrical goodies on my old ninja, and if I ran ecerything the bike didn't put out enough power.

The most I had going was a radar detector, grips, vest, and charging my gadgets. It was too much for the electrical system, and I wound up having to shut the grips off to run the vest, and vica versa. It wasn't as bad as it sounds because they did stay warm for a while anyway

that would be the only thing stopping me from doing full on touring on a sport bike...

I wonder if you went to an alternator/battery shop if they could make the stator put out more power... like they can for an alternator :idk:

Quick281
01-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks, I was thinking that maybe with the hippo hands and heated grips I will be fine.

For the chest I can just layer way the hell up.

I hope to have have a gps unit, heated grips and that may be it beyond my HID light.

Mr Lefty
01-31-2009, 08:01 PM
one thing to REALLY pay attention to is your neck... your neck gets cold YOU GET COLD. you'll be amazed how warm you'll be if you can keep your neck out of the wind and warm.

Quick281
01-31-2009, 08:07 PM
one thing to REALLY pay attention to is your neck... your neck gets cold YOU GET COLD. you'll be amazed how warm you'll be if you can keep your neck out of the wind and warm.

I have been getting a pretty good idea of this with several of my 30 degree runs around Atlanta I learned the neck part real fast.

I have some glove liners and a face mask I wear under my helmet. I also where long underwear and a turtle neck to deal with the wind.

Mr Lefty
01-31-2009, 08:10 PM
there's some stuff called cold killers by knox... it's wind proof under lining... they make socks, gloves pants, shirts, onesies...
http://www.planet-knox.com/coldkillers.htm
I'd thought about getting some... may still... but will hold off until my trips up north are closer to reality

njchopper87
01-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Some of Gerbing's gear runs on 7v battery packs. If your concerned about draining the battery on the bike you could always go that route. Some of their shit is fairly expensive though.

http://www.gerbing.com/index.php

L8 Braker
01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Widder.com has been doing heated gear for a long time...The gloves are wireless, which would rock...

But I just went to their site, and the header says thanks for the memories, and you can't click on any of the stuff...So I'm guessing, they wen't out of business :(

OneSickPsycho
02-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I had heated equipment once... turns out it was herpes.

FT BSTRD
02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
The best heated grips I have used are the Polly Heaters:

http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph400.htm

They heated great and were easy to install.

I also run heated vest. Makes all the difference in early/late and off season riding.

tommymac
02-01-2009, 09:45 PM
You should find out how much wattage your alternator can handle, that will determine what you could use. For a sport touring bike the futura isnt all that good, it strains a bit when I run a heated jacket and gloves. I should be able to handle that and have about another 30 to 40% to use.

I have a gerbings jacket and gloves with a dual control thermostat. The thermostat is def key here so you can adjust the tems on the fly.

Tom

Mr Lefty
02-01-2009, 09:50 PM
if you switch to HID you'll also save yourself some wattage... 35w instead of 55w... PER BULB... so that's 70w on high rather than 110w or 130w (if your using 65w bulbs)

just remember when you fire up the bike and the lights... HID draws more power during ignition so make sure all other accessories are off during the time the HID's ignite.

tommymac
02-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Dont the hid's pull more wattage than regular bulbs anyway?

When I start the bike up I make sure the heated gear is off too.

Tom

Mr Lefty
02-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Dont the hid's pull more wattage than regular bulbs anyway?

When I start the bike up I make sure the heated gear is off too.

Tom

no... only during ignition... HID's while running are only 35w.

during ignition though they pull a lot more (don't know how much) that's why they make the delays that stop the lights from trying to ignite while your starting the bike... instead they delay 10 seconds...

Quick281
02-02-2009, 02:02 AM
I have the 55w upgrade on my ballast but I would assume that after initial pull my bike isn't still at a slight advantage. I do have the relay/delay hooked up to it as well.

Well after looking it up, I think I equaled out no? h7s are showing at 55w.

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 02:07 AM
well i was quote'n numbers from my H4's... thought (read assumed) all the HID's were the same wattage... :idk:

Quick281
02-02-2009, 02:15 AM
Sorry to be unclear as usual.

I looked up a regular h7 bulb and I found wattage to be 55w. I know that my HID kit came with a 35w ballast but I upgraded it to a 55w, so I was trying to make the conclusion that maybe my bike wasn't at any advantage after all?

I am pretty worthless when it comes to electrical stuff.

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 02:23 AM
ahh ok... didn't know they made an upgrade... yeah stock headlights... as far as I know... are all 55-65w. if you made the upgrade then yeah no advantage for you...

just wondering... but why the upgrade? I had the 35w on my ZZR and they're fuck'n bright as all hell. figure the upgrade would provide minimal light advantage but a lot more heat... :idk:

Quick281
02-02-2009, 02:33 AM
ahh ok... didn't know they made an upgrade... yeah stock headlights... as far as I know... are all 55-65w. if you made the upgrade then yeah no advantage for you...

just wondering... but why the upgrade? I had the 35w on my ZZR and they're fuck'n bright as all hell. figure the upgrade would provide minimal light advantage but a lot more heat... :idk:

http://www.sharphid.com/

Under reference you can see the chart which shows the difference in lumens between the 35w and 55w upgrade on the 6000 kit. It is a difference of 3140 and 4800.

At time I literally figured the brighter the better. I don't want there to be a single fucking excuse for anyone to pull out and say they couldn't see me. That was my logic at the time.

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 02:42 AM
interesting.... the ones I had were 4500k and 3400 lumins... but were bright as fuck... can't imagine yours...

what company is yours made by? I see apexcone... that's the same as mine... I ordered mine directly from Apexcone though... got a 15% discount for being military. talked to the owner directly via e-mail because of the fuckups with Xenonexpert.com (stay the fuck away from xenonexpert.com IMO)

Quick281
02-02-2009, 02:54 AM
interesting.... the ones I had were 4500k and 3400 lumins... but were bright as fuck... can't imagine yours...

what company is yours made by? I see apexcone... that's the same as mine... I ordered mine directly from Apexcone though... got a 15% discount for being military. talked to the owner directly via e-mail because of the fuckups with Xenonexpert.com (stay the fuck away from xenonexpert.com IMO)

It is Apexcone.

I got referred to that website from Apexcone if I recall correctly. I knew to stay away from Xenonexpert based on what you said so I went directly to Apexcone and just ended up at sharp somehow.

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 03:09 AM
ahh ok... well when I talked to Apexcone I was pretty heated... so they probably didn't wanna give me the run around...

glad you got what you wanted though!

Quick281
02-02-2009, 03:15 AM
Looks up what my alternator would be cranking out and I was a bit confused as to which one is my alternator. I assume my "generator"?

Mr Lefty
02-02-2009, 04:37 AM
yeah I'd assume generator is what your talk'n about