PDA

View Full Version : cush drive removal

Dnyce
03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
how? ive seen it done on a gsxr racebike, but the shop closed done like a year ago, cant find any1 else that has it done. personally i have a honda cbr f4 wheel, does anyone make a kit or adapter, or has any ideas?

maybe a new sprocket hub, idk.

otherwise new wheel time

wheel isnt damaged btw, but i have my reasons

dReWpY
03-13-2008, 05:38 PM
can u explain, im confuzled :ws:

DLIT
03-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Not sure about the F4, but my cush drive is easy as fuck to remove. Just take the rear wheel off, remove the sprocket/hub and the cush drive's right there. The only bolts I need to remove is the ones to take the wheel off. And the ones to take the sprocket off the hub.

dReWpY
03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
thats what i was thinking, mine just comes right about

Dnyce
03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
didnt mean to befuddle ya, let me explain-i wana take it off. no more cush drive, not take it off and look at it, i want wheel/sprocket-no cush setup

DLIT
03-13-2008, 05:47 PM
What, is there a kit out there that eliminates it? You need the cush drive.

Dnyce
03-13-2008, 05:53 PM
no i dont lol-and thats what im looking for, a kit or just directions-the gsxr i saw had the wheel drilled tapped and safety-wired and the sprocket bolted directly to the wheel-no cush. racebike

DLIT
03-13-2008, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't waste your time/money.

dReWpY
03-13-2008, 05:58 PM
whats the benefit, again, knowing your a drag racer, im asking open minded :lol:

DLIT
03-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I would think immediate response, but it's not like the cush drive takes forever either, you know? What's the reason behind this madness?

Dnyce
03-13-2008, 06:03 PM
true-the way the gsxr was done it wouldnt cost much-but the wheel i have is built different. time for a new wheel setup if it gives me trouble i guess

DLIT
03-13-2008, 06:04 PM
What's true? My theory?

Dnyce
03-13-2008, 06:07 PM
two things-lil thing is immediate response thru each gear, big thing is i can perfect line up the wheels, sprockets, etc. its kinda give and take-either the wheel is perfectly straight, and the sprockets are a lil off, or vice versa. faster u go, the more the lil gremlins rear their ugly heads. just looking ahead

im looking into milling down the carrier, but i figured id try and kill two birds with one stone if i could

yea-true it would probably cost too much with the wheel i have.

DLIT
03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Are your times that competetive, you need to do that? Or is it for safety?

No Worries
03-13-2008, 06:22 PM
The ones in my Suzuki are 29 years old. Stress cracks and hard, but still a fairly tight fit. I think they mostly keep other parts from breaking. You could take them out, trace them on aluminum and cut them out, but like the others say, why bother.

Dnyce
03-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Are your times that competetive, you need to do that? Or is it for safety?

just looking ahead-havent had any issues yet, handling wise. dont wana fight the bike to go straight tho

tranny is backcut, billet gears, clutch is strong, wont break anything

Amber Lamps
03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
just looking ahead-havent had any issues yet, handling wise. dont wana fight the bike to go straight tho

tranny is backcut, billet gears, clutch is strong, wont break anything

Nobody cares about my 2 cents but...PM used to sell wheels without cush drive. I've seen a few people use them and break chains,sprockets(especially alum ones),crack rims,rotate the tire on the rim. Btw if you have the stock front sprocket it may also incorporate a "cushion" as well. A track only bike takes off hard once a day,two or three times a week(hopefully). A street bike takes off from stop dozens of times a day, 7 days a week(again,hopefully). Plus,you will introduce more vibration into your life as well. If you are having trouble lining op your rim or it "changes" on you,you may have other issues like the wrong spacer(s) or a missing spacer. No offense,I've seen experienced shops/riders do it. Heck,a buddy of mine whose Grandpa owns Villiage Motorsports back in Mi and who now is the general manager. Showed up at my house to go riding. He had new tires so I was looking at them and noticed his sprocket nuts were cutting into his swingarm because they had forgotten a spacer. I've seen spacers flip/flopped and the spacer behind the sprocket carrier go missing. Regardless of your problem,I doubt the cush drive is at fault. If you're serious,3/8 ss bolts,nylock nuts,spot weld end thread or drill and safety wire. Be precise for balance. Set carrier to "front" of rim so it starts at the leading edge. Good luck.

Carolina
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
yeah what tigger said

OneSickPsycho
03-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Silly bikes with their cush drives and radiator fluid and shit...

Amber Lamps
03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Silly bikes with their cush drives and radiator fluid and shit...

Whatever,"belt-boy"!:eatatthey:

OneSickPsycho
03-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Simple is good.

Rider
03-14-2008, 10:29 AM

Hey so you are good friends with Brad??

Amber Lamps
03-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey so you are good friends with Brad??

Yea,me and Rusty used to teach him how to wheelie! Why do you need something?

Simple is good.

Actually,I lke that setup and don't understand why the Japs haven't adopted it,except maybe because they own all the chain companys too! I'm not sure what the tensile strength of your belt is,so I don't know if it could handle 160-200hp at the front spocket but I know a guy who has a Buell with Nos that doesn't seem to have probs...:idk:

Rider
03-14-2008, 11:00 AM

Maybe a friend price on a new bike.. I know Mike(Sales Guy) and I have talked with Brad before. He let me take his SuperDuke for a spin, but I dont know him well enough to ask for a special deal other than one he'd give to any joe walking in off the street.

Amber Lamps
03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Maybe a friend price on a new bike.. I know Mike(Sales Guy) and I have talked with Brad before. He let me take his SuperDuke for a spin, but I dont know him well enough to ask for a special deal other than one he'd give to any joe walking in off the street.

Sure,shoot me the specifics and I'll call him for you!

OneSickPsycho
03-15-2008, 11:16 AM

Actually,I lke that setup and don't understand why the Japs haven't adopted it,except maybe because they own all the chain companys too! I'm not sure what the tensile strength of your belt is,so I don't know if it could handle 160-200hp at the front spocket but I know a guy who has a Buell with Nos that doesn't seem to have probs...:idk:

Part of the problem, IMO is width... The other part of the problem is the inability to play around with gear ratios at will... And the belts are plenty strong... HP isn't the real biggy, it's torque that would be the problem... and my bike has more torque than 3/4 of the Jap bikes... And check out the 1125R... It's got a belt.

Cutty72
03-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Part of the problem, IMO is width... The other part of the problem is the inability to play around with gear ratios at will... And the belts are plenty strong... HP isn't the real biggy, it's torque that would be the problem... and my bike has more torque than 3/4 of the Jap bikes... And check out the 1125R... It's got a belt.

And a lifetime warranty on it no less!
Never have to change anything! :whistle:

Would you regear (pully) your buell if it was easily available?

OneSickPsycho
03-15-2008, 03:30 PM

I think I'm going to do the primary swap sometime after the Cali trip... The XB9's primary on the XB12 gives an 11% difference... I don't really need 9 more ft-lbs of torque, but it'd be sweet!

Cutty72
03-15-2008, 03:40 PM
I think I'm going to do the primary swap sometime after the Cali trip... The XB9's primary on the XB12 gives an 11% difference... I don't really need 9 more ft-lbs of torque, but it'd be sweet!

How much can you change w/o changing belts?

OneSickPsycho
03-15-2008, 03:48 PM
How much can you change w/o changing belts?

You misunderstood... You cannot change ratios via the belt... it's through the primary...

Like so:
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/155801.jpg

Cutty72
03-15-2008, 03:50 PM
You misunderstood... You cannot change ratios via the belt... it's through the primary...

Gotcha... i was thinking wrong.
I was thinking primary = drive pulley. :lol:

Dnyce
03-18-2008, 12:02 AM
i just wrote a detailed reply and for some reason the fuckin comp logged me out when i went to hit submit reply and it got erased so fuck it.

long story short-cush drive never was a problem, but getting rid of it would be a easy solution to a geometric problem.

Amber Lamps
03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
i just wrote a detailed reply and for some reason the fuckin comp logged me out when i went to hit submit reply and it got erased so fuck it.

long story short-cush drive never was a problem, but getting rid of it would be a easy solution to a geometric problem.

Cool! and that log out thing has happened to me too...a couple times!

Gas Man
03-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Seroiusly... belts can do more than you will give them credit for....

I run both a primary belt and a final drive belt..

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day14061.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day14032.jpg

DLIT
03-18-2008, 01:21 AM

Would you gear it for more pull? The top end sucks on those things now. Gearing it that way would have you getting smoked by 250s on a long stretch.

OneSickPsycho
03-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Would you gear it for more pull? The top end sucks on those things now. Gearing it that way would have you getting smoked by 250s on a long stretch.

That's probably what I'm going to do... I rarely hit triple digits anyway... If I did the XB9 primary swap it would make my top speed approximately 120MPH... I've only had the bike faster than that probably 3 out of nearly 8k miles...

DLIT
03-18-2008, 08:22 AM
That's probably what I'm going to do... I rarely hit triple digits anyway... If I did the XB9 primary swap it would make my top speed approximately 120MPH... I've only had the bike faster than that probably 3 out of nearly 8k miles...

If you don't plan on any track days, have a blast. That shit would suck for me. Street or track.

OneSickPsycho
03-18-2008, 08:25 AM
If you don't plan on any track days, have a blast. That shit would suck for me. Street or track.

I do plan on track days, but I also plan on a track bike! The reason being is that my bike does not crash well... I got real lucky my lowside was on the right side... Otherwise I would have surely punched and ground out holes in the primary cover... Not to mention the fuel in the frame... had I been going any faster, it might have eaten all the way through my frame pucks and into the frame...

Buell street only... Then something else for track days... A cheap beater project bike most likely.

Cutty72
03-18-2008, 01:16 PM

1125R is lookin at about 160 top end stock.
Don't know many 250's that can touch that.

DLIT
03-18-2008, 03:39 PM
1125R is lookin at about 160 top end stock.
Don't know many 250's that can touch that.

What kind of bike does OSP have? I rest my case.

Cutty72
03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
What kind of bike does OSP have? I rest my case.

But you quoted me when saying that.
I'm looking at the 1125

DLIT
03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
But you quoted me when saying that.
I'm looking at the 1125

Yeah but you quoted OSP when you asked about re-gearing. I quoted you because you mentioned it. That's where the mix up was.