PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear US version

RACER X
02-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Cancelled!

no linky, but thank ya jesus, cuz that show woulda sucked!

Flexin
02-06-2009, 02:42 PM
You think it would have sucked, but I would have like to decide that for myself.

James

02-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Doesn't American TV always copy and butcher English shows?

Quick281
02-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't watch english tv, so I wouldn't know. I have enough gripes with normal Top Gear to not like it.

I had no idea bout the US version but I would assume they would have done an ok job of giving a US perspective of other cars.

derf
02-07-2009, 12:55 AM
I really thought that it was a bad idea. The thing that makes the UK top gear so great is the stoopid british dry humor,

Flexin
02-07-2009, 04:58 AM
I really thought that it was a bad idea. The thing that makes the UK top gear so great is the stoopid british dry humor,

That part isn't bad but what I liked most about it was they worked the fuck out of the cars. Here they drive around the city and maybe take it on the highway. On that show they will talk about the layout of the dash while sliding sideways with a big ass smoke cloud coming from the rear tires. Then they have crazy races to test the cars or themselves. Thats what I like about it.

James

thunderex
02-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Ha! I was seriously about to go to the taping of the pilot but I wasn't feeling well. I figured, eh, it'll be around for at least a couple more tapings. Guess not.

nhgunnut
02-14-2009, 07:15 AM
I would have loved to see it and decide for myself. I love the UK version . My only vetch is they do almost nothing with bikes. I would so love to see something with the same approach as Top Gear with motorcycles. I would watch that even if it came from Japan or some other place and I had to read the subtitles.

pauldun170
02-19-2009, 01:20 PM

That and they don't answer to advertisers.

Lamnidae
02-22-2009, 05:18 PM

Werd.

Yeah, I love the UK version and typically catch it about every other week on the BBC (shows at 7PM local)

I don't think it would have been the same w/ a "us version."

thunderex
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Exactly. What I can't figure out is why we can't have shows like this on our public television system. Seems like it would be a perfect show for PBS to update their image a big.

Homeslice
02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure if PBS could collect enough donations to do justice to such a show.