PDA

View Full Version : Clean Chains

azoomm
03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
OK, I'm a bit fanatic about cleaning my chain. By a little... I mean, REALLY crazy about it. It's just one of my OCD things I guess. What I used to do was after each ride, I'd wipe down the chain with a rag that has been sprayed down with either kerosene or WD-40. Never spraying WD-40 directly on a chain... it will seat in the O or X rings and eat the rubber.

But, now I've found a new product. Motorex Chain Clean. :dthumb: It's FANTASTIC. I mean, spray on... wipe of. It is tested safe for X and O rings, and evaporates rather quickly, so I can see it doesn't stay anywhere. But, the grease wipes off easily. So easily that I cleaned the gunk in front of the front sprocket, on the motor, fling on the wheel, even the spray on my arm from using a grunge brush.

I was amazed.

To show how fanatic I am about it... here's a pic of my friend's chain that I cleaned on her SuperHawk. It was black and gooped when I got it... after are the pics below:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/azoomm/CleanSprocket2RS.jpg

dReWpY
03-13-2008, 05:46 PM
grunge brush is worth its weight in gold

Trip
03-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Everytime I use the grunge brush all it manages to do is wipe the lube to some other part of the chain. I wipe clean.

NONE_too_SOFT
03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
oh god you should see my chain right now it makes me want to ralph.

Vettezilla (Impala Balko)
03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
But, now I've found a new product. Motorex Chain Clean. :dthumb: It's FANTASTIC.

where did you purchase this stuff did you buy it on the internet or can you get it in a parts store. I wanna check this stuff out.

JoJoYZF
03-13-2008, 08:13 PM
where did you purchase this stuff did you buy it on the internet or can you get it in a parts store. I wanna check this stuff out.

Yeah my chain is filthy right now. Its on my spring break list so Id love to pick up some of that stuff by then if possible.

Amber Lamps
03-13-2008, 08:14 PM
OK, I'm a bit fanatic about cleaning my chain. By a little... I mean, REALLY crazy about it. It's just one of my OCD things I guess. What I used to do was after each ride, I'd wipe down the chain with a rag that has been sprayed down with either kerosene or WD-40. Never spraying WD-40 directly on a chain... it will seat in the O or X rings and eat the rubber.

But, now I've found a new product. Motorex Chain Clean. :dthumb: It's FANTASTIC. I mean, spray on... wipe of. It is tested safe for X and O rings, and evaporates rather quickly, so I can see it doesn't stay anywhere. But, the grease wipes off easily. So easily that I cleaned the gunk in front of the front sprocket, on the motor, fling on the wheel, even the spray on my arm from using a grunge brush.

I was amazed.

To show how fanatic I am about it... here's a pic of my friend's chain that I cleaned on her SuperHawk. It was black and gooped when I got it... after are the pics below:

I've used the Motorex and the Mogul stuff both work fantastic with a grunge brush especially! Altho' I admit I got tired of running to buy it so I went back to pen oil.

azoomm
03-13-2008, 10:16 PM
I got it at our local Honda/Kawi/etc dealer. CycleGear carries it as well :)

marko138
03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Thats the cleanest chain I've ever seen. Nice job. I also use WD40 and the grunge brush...but I spray that shit right on.

NeonspeedRT
03-14-2008, 09:11 AM
But, now I've found a new product. Motorex Chain Clean. :dthumb: It's FANTASTIC. I mean, spray on... wipe of. It is tested safe for X and O rings, and evaporates rather quickly, so I can see it doesn't stay anywhere. But, the grease wipes off easily.

Thas what we use also. We buy it at Cycle Gear.

z06boy
03-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah my chain is filthy right now. Its on my spring break list so Id love to pick up some of that stuff by then if possible.

Same here x 2 I need to clean both chains on my bikes. :idk:

Amber Lamps
03-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Thats the cleanest chain I've ever seen. Nice job. I also use WD40 and the grunge brush...but I spray that shit right on.

Me too! Except I use Miracle Oil.Then I dry it off with a rag and apply chain lube. I'm not sure how the method of a application has any bearing on oil seal life....:idk: I once had a long conversation with a tech from EK,I had issues with their "zero stretch" ZZZ chain,and he told me that you don't have to lube your chain at all,just keep it clean. That's the whole point of "O" rings he said.Whatever,I still lube mine anyway, necessary or not,old habits die hard! Damn,I'm still waiting for someone to tell what the hell they put on chains at the factory,'cause that shit lasts longer than any product I've ever found in 25+ years of riding!

Gas Man
03-14-2008, 01:03 PM

:iagree: when I had a chain... not I roll belts.. 3 inchers at that!

Katherine
03-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Durn, azoomm! I took a look at my chain after this. YIKES.

Anyhoo...pretty gold wheel.

dubbs
03-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow, I don't even think my chain looked that good when I bought it with 2 miles on it..

Damn, how much time does it take you to get it that clean? Please post your method..

If all you do is spray on and wipe off, I need to be getting some of this shit..

marko138
03-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Me too! Except I use Miracle Oil.Then I dry it off with a rag and apply chain lube. I'm not sure how the method of a application has any bearing on oil seal life....:idk: I once had a long conversation with a tech from EK,I had issues with their "zero stretch" ZZZ chain,and he told me that you don't have to lube your chain at all,just keep it clean. That's the whole point of "O" rings he said.Whatever,I still lube mine anyway, necessary or not,old habits die hard! Damn,I'm still waiting for someone to tell what the hell they put on chains at the factory,'cause that shit lasts longer than any product I've ever found in 25+ years of riding!

He's sorta right. All the lube is doing is keeping the o-rings from drying out.

Cutty72
03-14-2008, 06:00 PM
i soooooo can't wait to have a bike with out a chain

NONE_too_SOFT
03-14-2008, 06:04 PM

they sacrifice a virgin and use her bowel juice as lubricant. food for thought.

vabarber2
03-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Looks good! Thanks for the share!

Amber Lamps
03-14-2008, 07:51 PM
they sacrifice a virgin and use her bowel juice as lubricant. food for thought.

Where am I gonna find a virgin?!? I live down south now and there isn't an elementary school for miles!

NONE_too_SOFT
03-14-2008, 08:02 PM
make one!

ceo012384
03-14-2008, 11:55 PM
But, now I've found a new product. Motorex Chain Clean. :dthumb: It's FANTASTIC. I mean, spray on... wipe of. It is tested safe for X and O rings, and evaporates rather quickly, so I can see it doesn't stay anywhere.
+1 for the motorex chain cleaner. I've been using that ever since I got my bike. I'm a couple cans deep now.

I also use the grunge brush. Works like a charm.

I also use motorex chain lube. Good stuff as well. I bought a kit at first, actually... see below:
I got it from kneedraggers when I was ordering some other shit.

They had a kit with chain lube, chain clean, a cleaner rag, and a mini can of chain lube to throw in your rear cowl:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Motorex_Street_Bike_Chain_Clean_Lube_Kit--616849.html

OneSickPsycho
03-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I clean my chain every 7 seconds...

fnfalman
03-16-2008, 04:24 AM
i soooooo can't wait to have a bike with out a chain

I have a bike with shaft drive. Given my druthers, I'd rather have it chain driven. A lot easier to maintain. Yes, Frances, you do have to maintain your shaft drive or otherwise you're gonna kill it. And when it's time for shaft drive maintenance, we're taking about boocoo times and efforts. It's a lot easier to just spend five or ten minutes every thousand miles to clean or lube a chain.

Mudpuppy
03-16-2008, 09:47 AM
i use simple green on my chain and a grunge brush... works pretty good.. i am fanatical about keeping the chain lubed every 500 miles.. not so fanatical about keeping it or the bike so clean you could eat off it.. that picture of the clean chain is insane.. that is fucking clean.. might have to try some of that shit..

vabarber2
03-16-2008, 06:37 PM
i use simple green on my chain and a grunge brush... works pretty good.. i am fanatical about keeping the chain lubed every 500 miles.. not so fanatical about keeping it or the bike so clean you could eat off it.. that picture of the clean chain is insane.. that is fucking clean.. might have to try some of that shit..
Yeah, thats what I've ben using, but someone tryed to tell me simple green wasnt good for it!

Mudpuppy
03-16-2008, 11:11 PM
i used to use brakecleaner but i would use the brakecleaner then wash the bike immediately after.. but i know for a fact brakecleaner will dry up o-rings so alot of people convinced me to switch to simple green... but i do the same thing, rinse, clean with simple green, then rinse thoroughly, then take a 10-15 minute ride to heat up the chain and dry it out real good, then lube it..

marko138
03-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Also....when I lube...it's always after a ride and when I'm putting it away for the night. So as the lube doesn't fling off.

azoomm
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
i used to use brakecleaner but i would use the brakecleaner then wash the bike immediately after.. but i know for a fact brakecleaner will dry up o-rings so alot of people convinced me to switch to simple green... but i do the same thing, rinse, clean with simple green, then rinse thoroughly, then take a 10-15 minute ride to heat up the chain and dry it out real good, then lube it..

OK, brake cleaner sounds like a REALLY bad idea.

I used to use Simple Green... it's just more work and not as thorough as the product I just tried. :)

Cutty72
03-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I have a bike with shaft drive. Given my druthers, I'd rather have it chain driven. A lot easier to maintain. Yes, Frances, you do have to maintain your shaft drive or otherwise you're gonna kill it. And when it's time for shaft drive maintenance, we're taking about boocoo times and efforts. It's a lot easier to just spend five or ten minutes every thousand miles to clean or lube a chain.

I was thinking more belt drive...

t-homo
03-17-2008, 02:40 PM
I was thinking more belt drive...

No joke. Bad part is that the next bike will most likely have a chain.

marko138
03-17-2008, 02:42 PM
No joke. Bad part is that the next bike will most likely have a chain.
Not if you get the 1125R.

Cutty72
03-17-2008, 03:19 PM

Exactly

marko138
03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Exactly

I think the 1125 could take over the world.

Cutty72
03-17-2008, 04:07 PM

quite possible

azoomm
03-17-2008, 04:09 PM

:skep:

ceo012384
03-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Right after it breaks down.

t-homo
03-17-2008, 04:48 PM

In my wildest dreams maybe. If you can find me one for 3 Grand call me.

Amber Lamps
03-17-2008, 05:51 PM
In my wildest dreams maybe. If you can find me one for 3 Grand call me.

And if you can find one that doesn't look like is has elephantitis on it's right side!

Gas Man
03-18-2008, 12:59 AM
could also use carb cleaner... not suppose to harm rubber...

marko138
03-18-2008, 09:40 AM

Intelligent post.

dubbs
03-21-2008, 01:28 PM

:whistle:

ceo012384
03-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Intelligent post.
If you're being sarcastic, fuck yourself.

If not, carry on.

Mr Lefty
03-23-2008, 01:32 AM

I was amazed.

so just how long did it take you to get it that clean? mines not nearly that clean and I spent a good amount of time on it... :idk:

I'll re do it when I get home in sept...

azoomm
03-23-2008, 12:45 PM
so just how long did it take you to get it that clean? mines not nearly that clean and I spent a good amount of time on it... :idk:

I'll re do it when I get home in sept...

I don't know... I don't time myself. But, when I REALLY clean the bike the whole thing takes me about an hour. I spot clean here and there, then REALLY clean once a week.