PDA

View Full Version : Stupid helmet question time....

ZUKIMON
02-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I've got two Shoei's and I am curious how to tell what model they are. I've looked almost everywhere on them short of pulling the damn liner out. I simply don't see a model number on it, but all the DOT/Snell stickers are there.

:idk:

Trip
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
post pictures of them and we will tell you

Mr Lefty
02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
or pull the lining out... probably behind a cheek pad if the full liner isn't removeable.

buzzcutt2
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Mine is on the strap.

ZUKIMON
02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Here's the sheild that it takes:

http://www.amazon.com/SHOEI-SYNCROTEC-RF-900-SPECTRA-SHIELD/dp/B000JCSF3S

I looked at the sheild just now, and I looked in the helmet again, and I cannot find any number on it anywhere. It looks as if all the original stickers are still there too. I'll try to post a pic when I get home. ;)

azoomm
02-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Shoei has it stamped on the leather on the strap...

Here's the sheild that it takes:

http://www.amazon.com/SHOEI-SYNCROTEC-RF-900-SPECTRA-SHIELD/dp/B000JCSF3S

I looked at the sheild just now, and I looked in the helmet again, and I cannot find any number on it anywhere. It looks as if all the original stickers are still there too. I'll try to post a pic when I get home. ;)

Sorry, but all Shoei I've ever owned have taken the same shield... from RF700 to today...

JoJoYZF
02-09-2009, 05:12 PM

Sorry, but all Shoei I've ever owned have taken the same shield... from RF700 to today...

I was gonna say, I think theres only one or two kinds of shields that shoeis use.

ZUKIMON
02-09-2009, 10:58 PM

to today...

Yep, you're right. This is also bad news for me too.........It would appear that I have two very nice, very expensive (at one time), very comfy and much enjoyed...........paper weights. :( The two Shoei's that I have are RF-800's, and they were built in the last part of '97. :panic: This really sux, as I very much like the fit and feel of these helmets and was glad that I had two identical in case of an accident. I guess it's back to my Fulmer which is only about 5 months old, but simply doesn't feel the way these do.

Amber Lamps
02-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Yep, you're right. This is also bad news for me too.........It would appear that I have two very nice, very expensive (at one time), very comfy and much enjoyed...........paper weights. :( The two Shoei's that I have are RF-800's, and they were built in the last part of '97. :panic: This really sux, as I very much like the fit and feel of these helmets and was glad that I had two identical in case of an accident. I guess it's back to my Fulmer which is only about 5 months old, but simply doesn't feel the way these do.

Ha I had an X-8 (I think) and my GF had the RF-800 with Odie from Garfield on it... It always gave me headaches and I gave it away or something...anyway,I'm not sure I understand the problem,why can't you use the helmets?

ZUKIMON
02-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Everything that I have heard over the years, and a few posts that I have read say to replace helmets after 5 years of use due to aging styrofoam and deteriorating shells due to UV rays. ???

I'd very much like to prove this myth busted, as I LOVE these helmets and they are like new. I got them from a one owner and he took very good care of them and rarely had them out/on.

Amber Lamps
02-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Everything that I have heard over the years, and a few posts that I have read say to replace helmets after 5 years of use due to aging styrofoam and deteriorating shells due to UV rays. ???

I'd very much like to prove this myth busted, as I LOVE these helmets and they are like new. I got them from a one owner and he took very good care of them and rarely had them out/on.

Well...you can ship them to Shoei for a free inspection,if I'm not mistaken. They'll let you know if they are ok to use,heck they may offer to refurbish them for you for a fee. I don't know if any company does that anymore though...

ZUKIMON
02-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I thought about that. I would love for them to tell me that the helmet is OK, or at least the shell is and they could refurb the liner for little $$. I'm up against it right now with work being slow and bills keep coming in, but I'm not compromising my safety either. I may be able to swing a little cash towards a new helmet when I get my taxes back, but I wouldn't have too much to spend and would like a nice looking helmet that is quality too. What would you suggest in a lower price range?

Mr Lefty
02-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Shark has some reasonably priced ones... As does scorpion. Doubt they'll compete with your shoie for comfort... But they will for price

Amber Lamps
02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I thought about that. I would love for them to tell me that the helmet is OK, or at least the shell is and they could refurb the liner for little $$. I'm up against it right now with work being slow and bills keep coming in, but I'm not compromising my safety either. I may be able to swing a little cash towards a new helmet when I get my taxes back, but I wouldn't have too much to spend and would like a nice looking helmet that is quality too. What would you suggest in a lower price range?

Well.....

I can find you a Shark RSR2 for about $250 or I posted a sale on Arai helmets that puts a couple model under $300. A lot of people love Scorpion and they go for under $200. If you were a GSXR /Ben Spies fan I'd steer you to the HJC AC12 Carbon "Elbowz" edition for about $200... heck,just check with Competition Accessories they are having a huge blow out sale,I'm sure they can help you out!

http://www.compacc.com/s/Bargains_Specials_Helmets_Street_Helmets_Full_Face .cfm

BTW what size do you wear?

Corey
02-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Man, I know where you're coming from, having an RF800 from '99, but seriously, if your helmets are from '97, it's time to retire them. Unless you're storing them under some seriously optimal conditions, the years of build up and disipation of sweat in the liner as well as environmental wear is probably starting to comprimise the safety off your helmets. I loved the way my RF800 fit. It was like wrapping my head in a pillow. But through the years of wearing it, the padding has gotten less resilient and the fit isn't as good as it used to be. It may protect you in an accident, but for 12 years your helmet has more than done its job.

Amber Lamps
02-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Shark has some reasonably priced ones... As does scorpion. Doubt they'll compete with your shoie for comfort... But they will for price

maybe but honestly,a RF800 wasn't that great of a lid and IMHO would get blown away by most medium to high end current helmets in every category. No offense to the OP here but I sense that he doesn't have a lot of experience and is used to a FULMER so most any other helmet would be an upgrade,again no offense meant.

ZUKIMON
02-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the links Tigger. I wear an XL. I know, I know......I've got the "Big Head!!" :D

You're right Corey, they do feel like a pillow next to anything else that I have ever put on. They are quite too.

While we are talking about helmet, and I don't care to make another thread about this if need be, has anyone ever made their own homebrew speaker setup for an MP3/4 player? I can't justify the cost of an aftermarket setup, but I can't figure out what speakers would work well and mounting for them. ??

Corey
02-10-2009, 12:01 AM
maybe but honestly,a RF800 wasn't that great of a lid and IMHO would get blown away by most medium to high end current helmets in every category. No offense to the OP here but I sense that he doesn't have a lot of experience and is used to a FULMER so most any other helmet would be an upgrade,again no offense meant.

You may be right. The RF800 was a great helmet at its release. It was comfortable as hell, and near top of the line. But it's a heavy helmet with god awful ventilation that would fog up completely if a mosquito farted within 10 miles of you. The Shoei X11 and RF1000 has better comfort, is lighter, and doesn't seem to have as bad a fogging problem. Hell, the Scorpion EXO-200 and EXO-700 I tried out have a damn near identical feel and weight to the RF800 without the fogging problems. Plus, they're considerably cheaper. I'd rock one of those lids without any fear for my safety. And New Enough seems to blow those helmets out at some seriously nice prices.

Mr Lefty
02-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Very true tig.

ZUKIMON
02-10-2009, 12:04 AM

No offense taken, and you're right, I have usually worn a Fulmer as that was all that my money would allow for. I have tried on a few different ones here and there, and borrowed a few to test for fit and sound levels, but the Shoei is where it's at for me. I can honestly say that I have not tried a Shark or Scorpion either.

Corey
02-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the links Tigger. I wear an XL. I know, I know......I've got the "Big Head!!" :D

You're right Corey, they do feel like a pillow next to anything else that I have ever put on. They are quite too.

While we are talking about helmet, and I don't care to make another thread about this if need be, has anyone ever made their own homebrew speaker setup for an MP3/4 player? I can't justify the cost of an aftermarket setup, but I can't figure out what speakers would work well and mounting for them. ??

Are speakers a requirement for you? There are quite a few simple and relatively cheap setups for some earbud setups. I used to ride around with the Koss/Foam earplug setup that made its way around the various forums. It was $10 for the earbuds and under two bucks for the foam ear plugs. with a little patience and a little bit of work you could have the combination of noise isolation from the foam ear plugs with the option for music. And the whole mess fit under a helmet without any problems. There are quite a few noise isolation earbuds on the market that can help to eliminate wind noise and give you nice clear sound while fitting under a helmet without having to trim away foam or rig up some speakers.

ZUKIMON
02-10-2009, 12:11 AM
I've tried numerous types/brands and styles of earbuds, they don't work well with me. They actually cause pain, and that ain't cutting it on the bike. I figure that I could do a simple add-on setup inside the earhole and not have the issue of pulling out while putting on or taking off the helmet.

Point me towards this earbud setup that you talk of and I will give it some thought or may even try it out.

Corey
02-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Speaking of:

EXO-400 for $109.00 (http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/all_types/scorpion/)

My buddy had the EXO-400 Octane in red. It was a comfortable helmet with excellent build quality that held up remarkably well when he crashed his bike. And $109 is a steal. If you can sneak a test fit on at a dealer that stocks them, I think you'll be surprised at the similarty in fit and quality to your RF800. And New Enough kicks massive ass in their customer service.

Cass
02-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Are speakers a requirement for you? There are quite a few simple and relatively cheap setups for some earbud setups. I used to ride around with the Koss/Foam earplug setup that made its way around the various forums. It was $10 for the earbuds and under two bucks for the foam ear plugs. with a little patience and a little bit of work you could have the combination of noise isolation from the foam ear plugs with the option for music. And the whole mess fit under a helmet without any problems. There are quite a few noise isolation earbuds on the market that can help to eliminate wind noise and give you nice clear sound while fitting under a helmet without having to trim away foam or rig up some speakers.

Etymotic ER6i - check Amazon, they keep pretty good prices on them.

Corey
02-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Etymotic ER6i - check Amazon, they keep pretty good prices on them.

Those are way better than the Koss I was sporting. :lol: But Cass is right, if you wanna do it right, spend a little extra cash now on the Etymotics and never look back.

ZUKIMON
02-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Those look slick. Thanks Lola. I just don't know if I could justify that kind of coin on something that I doubt I would be able to wear comfortably.... It's kind of hard to try on a set of buds for fit. They kind of frown upon that like asking to try on undies. :D

Corey
02-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Ahem...Exo 700 $109 shipped

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=527

Oh and these speakers work for me..about $25 from a stealership.

Damn that's a good price. Glad they don't have it in my size or I'd be $109 poorer. :lol:

ZUKIMON
02-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Damn that's a good price. Glad they don't have it in my size or I'd be $109 poorer. :lol:

That is a good price, but they don't have my size either. :idk:

Love the speaker kit. I haven't seen anything quite like that. Could that be had at a Honda or Suzuki dealer? I have a buddy that worked for the local Suzuki shop and now owns his own shop. He can get me a good price if I can get him some part #'s or names/model #'s.

Amber Lamps
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
That is a good price, but they don't have my size either. :idk:

Love the speaker kit. I haven't seen anything quite like that. Could that be had at a Honda or Suzuki dealer? I have a buddy that worked for the local Suzuki shop and now owns his own shop. He can get me a good price if I can get him some part #'s or names/model #'s.

IMC-200 and these guys carry them but I got mine at Ron Ayers,
http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=4987

Guy on another forum selling used Shoei...

http://www.gixxernation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5081

Amber Lamps
02-10-2009, 11:54 AM
And it goes on from here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Helmet-Shark-S800-XLarge-Silver-White-Gold_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q 3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m350162049019QQitemZ350162049019QQptZApparelQ5fMer chandise

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Helmet-Shark-S800-XLarge-Silver-White-Gold_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q 3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m350162049019QQitemZ350162049019QQptZApparelQ5fMer chandise

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__shark-helmet_W0QQSizeZXQ2520LargeQ2520QQ_dmptZApparelQ5f MerchandiseQQ_flnZ1QQ_ssovZ1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2 em282#item350162049019

Quite frankly,I'd take an older model Shark over a Scorpion any day,but that's just me. Note the Red Foggy Legend for $279 or the Red Duhammel for under $300! Oh and I've actually purchased from Moto-head zone in New York,they were good people to deal with and took good care of me when there was a minor problem. Figure out the MAX you can spend and what color/style you want and I'll find you a helmet at a good price from a reputable dealer,this I promise you!

Yamerhaw
02-10-2009, 01:05 PM

have to disagree about the RF 800, was an awesome helmet in the day, probably one of the best, quiet, comfortable, well made, etc, i still wear mine occasionaly and it feels better than all of my other 10 helmets, maybe except for the Shoei x-11

but i've got a "shoei" shaped head, never really worn much other than Shoei or Arai, they're time tested and proving, so i'll probably stick with those, almost 20 years of riding and i've bounced a few down the pavement with my head in them, so .....

Amber Lamps
02-10-2009, 06:18 PM
have to disagree about the RF 800, was an awesome helmet in the day, probably one of the best, quiet, comfortable, well made, etc, i still wear mine occasionaly and it feels better than all of my other 10 helmets, maybe except for the Shoei x-11

but i've got a "shoei" shaped head, never really worn much other than Shoei or Arai, they're time tested and proving, so i'll probably stick with those, almost 20 years of riding and i've bounced a few down the pavement with my head in them, so .....

Hmmm... I can respect that,I've owned 3 Shoei helmets and I didn't like them much-wrong head shape,I guess- I then went to Arai for a decade or so,played with middle ground helmets for a while and now I'm into Shark. I'm willing to bet you have not ridden any distance in a RSR2 yet have you? Come down here and I'll let you try one of mine...it's a life changing experience!

Mr Lefty
02-10-2009, 06:23 PM
hey Tigg... is that top vent a pain for you to close in gloves... when I tried it in the store I could open it fine (spring loaded obviously) but closing it I had to take the helmet off and even then it was insanely hard to close. but it was the only RSR2 they had so couldn't tell if was just that helmet or not.

Amber Lamps
02-10-2009, 06:26 PM
hey Tigg... is that top vent a pain for you to close in gloves... when I tried it in the store I could open it fine (spring loaded obviously) but closing it I had to take the helmet off and even then it was insanely hard to close. but it was the only RSR2 they had so couldn't tell if was just that helmet or not.

Umm...hmmm...hold on a sec...

Amber Lamps
02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
No not really...it's not the easiest vent to use but like you said opening it is super easy.

Mr Lefty
02-10-2009, 06:33 PM
ok... the dealer wants $700! :lol: Duhamel rep black and orange... :rofl:

Amber Lamps
02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
ok... the dealer wants $700! :lol: Duhamel rep black and orange... :rofl:

Haha! Did you tell him that you could get it for $250?

Mr Lefty
02-10-2009, 06:44 PM
it was the gloss version.. but I did laugh in his face... REALLY loud when he told me the price... and commented that Motorcycle-Superstore.com has it for less than $600... he started to say shipping and I said yes... shipping of one of the lightest helmets on the market is $100+ :lol:

that's one thing I will NOT miss about ak... ok... one of the MANY things... but they always have prices 20%-60% higher and claim it's shipping... what ever...

Amber Lamps
02-10-2009, 06:51 PM
it was the gloss version.. but I did laugh in his face... REALLY loud when he told me the price... and commented that Motorcycle-Superstore.com has it for less than $600... he started to say shipping and I said yes... shipping of one of the lightest helmets on the market is $100+ :lol:

that's one thing I will NOT miss about ak... ok... one of the MANY things... but they always have prices 20%-60% higher and claim it's shipping... what ever...

Oh and note...the $250 includes shipping...just FYI mind you.

Mr Lefty
02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Just went and tried another.. they had a medium RSR2 in the back... fuck I love the fit of the Sharks... and the vent wasnt nearly as hard to work on that one... think the first may just need some graphite powder or oil.

I really liked the RSI though... think that may be the ticket.

wasn't that $250 a single large helmet?

Amber Lamps
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Just went and tried another.. they had a medium RSR2 in the back... fuck I love the fit of the Sharks... and the vent wasnt nearly as hard to work on that one... think the first may just need some graphite powder or oil.

I really liked the RSI though... think that may be the ticket.

wasn't that $250 a single large helmet?

No he HAD all sizes from XS-XXL...what he has now :idk:

Mr Lefty
02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
oh... I thought he just had one helmet at that price... damn... well I'm hold'n off buy'n anything right now... wanna make sure I get Trips bro paid for the bike first... but fuck... expenses for this trip from AK are mounting...

Thanks for the tip off to that deal though...