pauldun170
02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/11/3-big-trucks-crash-hard-in-iihs-tests/

Homeslice
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Sheep.

RACER X
02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
i'd like to see a truck get broadsided by a car height sled vs truck height.

Chris S
02-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Ridgeline FTW!!! :rockwoot:

Mr Lefty
02-12-2009, 12:12 AM

Yeah I was thinking that too... I'm sure they'd be much better... but then again... when they're testing it's probably better to go with a truck... as it'd inflict more damage than a car so when gearing safety... better to over shoot it I guess... :idk:

Phenix_Rider
02-12-2009, 06:09 AM
And what happens when they hit a little car with the truck sled?

RACER X
02-12-2009, 08:18 AM
And what happens when they hit a little car with the truck sled?

i think they hit all the veh. w/ the same sled. and most cars fare better.

fasternyou929
02-12-2009, 08:36 AM
i think they hit all the veh. w/ the same sled. and most cars fare better.

You mean a car fares better when it's hit with a smaller sled? Whoa. Who'da thought?!

ceo012384
02-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Glad I'm getting a tundra.

MILK
02-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Hmmm... that Silverado looks good. Might hafta buy the hubby one. :lmao:

RACER X
02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
You mean a car fares better when it's hit with a smaller sled? Whoa. Who'da thought?!

UM no, i think they hit the car/truck w/ the same sled (truck sized). cars generally get a passing grade whereas these trucks didn't, but got a "poor" instead, even w/ side airbags.

fasternyou929
02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
UM no, i think they hit the car/truck w/ the same sled (truck sized). cars generally get a passing grade whereas these trucks didn't, but got a "poor" instead, even w/ side airbags.

Yeah, I completely misread that. I thought it said something to the effect of them using a "car" sized sled for cars and a "truck" sized sled for trucks.

That's what I get for waking up a 3:00am to catch a flight...

101lifts2
02-12-2009, 08:49 PM

The problem isn't that the truck isn't stronger than cars, but rather the trucks do not move at all. Watch a car get hit from the side and it will move a foot, which in turn dissapates some of the energy.

Phenix_Rider
02-13-2009, 06:51 AM
What I got was that they hit the truck with a "car" and it passed. More structure in the rocker panel means it's stronger. Then they hit the truck with a "truck" and it didn't do so well.

A "truck" would hit a car higher in the door, where there's less structure. (higher even than the "truck" hitting the truck) It follows that a car would be worse off in a collision between a truck and a car.

OneSickPsycho
02-13-2009, 10:18 PM

:iagree:

Ridgeline FTW!!! :rockwoot:

No... Ridgeline FTMFW. :dthumb:

What I got was that they hit the truck with a "car" and it passed. More structure in the rocker panel means it's stronger. Then they hit the truck with a "truck" and it didn't do so well.

A "truck" would hit a car higher in the door, where there's less structure. (higher even than the "truck" hitting the truck) It follows that a car would be worse off in a collision between a truck and a car.

Exactly. I think this just exposes the weakness in utilizing this sort of testing.

Phenix_Rider
02-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Exactly. I think this just exposes the weakness in utilizing this sort of testing.

It's definitely not perfect, but you need some kind of testing- otherwise you have nothing but marketing gimmicks. A lot like helmets. BSI, Snell, DOT, ECE... Who's right?

OneSickPsycho
02-13-2009, 11:03 PM
It's definitely not perfect, but you need some kind of testing- otherwise you have nothing but marketing gimmicks. A lot like helmets. BSI, Snell, DOT, ECE... Who's right?

Not debating right, wrong, needed or not needed... Just saying this points out the weakness in the test.

Homeslice
02-13-2009, 11:40 PM

BSI/ECE, because their helmets are lighter :dthumb:
Who gives a fuck if they are "less safe" than Snell/DOT

ZUKIMON
02-15-2009, 12:19 PM
I want to be a crash test dummy! :D

unknownroad
02-16-2009, 02:52 PM

I think the main issue for the trucks is the center beam dividing the front and back halves of the cab. It's a long piece of metal, and since they're trying to keep it as slim as possible to shorten the overall cab length while providing a large opening, it's fairly narrow.

I remember similar tests a few years back, done on extended-cab trucks with suicide rear doors and NO center column... they were really ugly :zowned: