PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Pickups(Hilux...TR4... the old rust buckets that run forever...whatever)

Mr Lefty
02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Zukimon... I saw your profile on another forum...

83 Yota Hilux
Rebuilt 22R with cam, Weber, Thorley header. Rears up front, dual cases with Marlin adapter and crossmember. Welded rear and 35x12'50's

nice... pics?

I've got an 87 I need to do a solid axle swap on... it's pretty lame right now... just cranked the torsion bars and 2" shackle... so I could fit my 33x12.50x15's...

I wanna go SAS... front and rear lockers... dual cases... and of course gears! :panic: :lol:

http://ebbs15.smugmug.com/photos/470391750_BaC7U-XL.jpg
just thought I'd make a thread for the toyota truck owners... POST'm UP!

101lifts2
02-13-2009, 01:53 AM
I'm assuming thats u in the pic? LOL

Toyota motors run long if you do the periodic maintenance.

Riceaholic
02-13-2009, 04:50 AM
22r's don't need maintenance...just keep putting gas in it.

Mr Lefty
02-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah that's me... and the only real thing you gotta watch for on the 22r(e) motors is after about 120 the timing chain can fail... replace that and your good for another 120... but it's not even a guarentee... I've had several toyota pickups... only changed the timing chain on 2... all had over 130k... one 500k+

derf
02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Trying to kill one, it doesn't quite work out as well as they had hoped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk

derf
02-13-2009, 12:48 PM
http://b6.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00322/64/41/322651446_l.jpg

This is my old truck, that I shouldn't have sold a few years back. I sold it to a buddy for $500 after I thought it was gonna die (yes I told him I didn't have any faith in it). He has since replaced the trans and the rear axle and it runs super strong now.

PhiSig1071
02-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I always liked those older trucks. My buddy has one sitting in his backyard. :lol:

OneSickPsycho
02-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I always liked those older trucks. My buddy has one sitting in his backyard. :lol:

My neighbor has one in his driveway... hasn't run in who knows how long...

PhiSig1071
02-13-2009, 06:36 PM
My neighbor has one in his driveway... hasn't run in who knows how long...

The one in my buddies backyard is owned by the landlord. Not sure if it runs but I really doubt it.

OneSickPsycho
02-13-2009, 06:59 PM
The one in my buddies backyard is owned by the landlord. Not sure if it runs but I really doubt it.

See if it has the solid front axle... Ebbs seems to think it's worth something...

was92v
02-13-2009, 07:34 PM
I picked up a Toyota about a month ago to use for a Bike trade. It turned out to be nice enough that I might hate to see it go. But if I find someone that wants to trade for something I like I would send it on down the road.

One owner, all stock, everything works, drives good.

PhiSig1071
02-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Damn 92, that thing is very clean.

I'll take a look at the truck the next time I go over there. I think it's only a 2wd though.

PiZdETS
02-13-2009, 10:22 PM
I have an 89, 5 speed. 270,000 miles.
http://www.E-Imagesite.com/Files/100_26238456517.jpg

JARVIS518
02-14-2009, 02:45 AM
i'm gunna try to find one in may if i can save up enough
but down here that the damn things are so over priced

Cutty72
02-14-2009, 04:01 PM
I picked up a Toyota about a month ago to use for a Bike trade. It turned out to be nice enough that I might hate to see it go. But if I find someone that wants to trade for something I like I would send it on down the road.

One owner, all stock, everything works, drives good.

damn, i've never seen one with no rust before :lol:

ZUKIMON
02-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey man, sorry I didn't see this until now. :D

Yeah, I've got an '83 Hilux that I use for rock crawlin'/general wheeling. I have been into Suzuki Samurai's for as long as I can remember and have lost count on how many I have owned. :idk: I honestly thought that I would keep a Zuk forever but after I broke down and made the trade for the Yota.........I'm not so sure that I will ever wheel anything else now. ;)

My '88.5 Samurai tintop on 33's with YJ springs front and rear, missing link shackles front and rear, Arizona Drivelines d-shafts with 1/2 ton u-joints, Trail Tough front bumper, Shrockworks rear bumper, MM 8k winch, ZOR shifter sheet for t-case and Low Range Off-road 6.5-1 t-case gears.

My '83 Yota Hilux on 35's, stock axles and components, welded rear diff, dual Marlin t-case adapter, budbuilt crossmember, tourqer cam, Weber, Thorley header, rebuilt 22r that hauls ass for what it is, rear springs up front, modified rears in the rear, longer rear shackles and boomerang front shackles to accomodate the rears up front. When I got the truck the engine only had 5000 miles on it with a hellofa rattle in it. I tore it down and found the timing chain tensioner had failed and the long side guide was wore the fuck out. It had all new parts put in it when it was built and the timing set came from DOA Racing in Mooresville, NC. Since I was not the original purchaser of the part, they would not replace it even though it had a lifetime warranty. :rant: I went with a kit from Carquest as they have good stuff and I have used it before with very good results. I plan on building front and rear bumpers for it this spring when it warms up enough to get out at night and do a little fabbing. I also plan on putting in some 5.29 R&P's with a Lock Right up front. I put an Optima red top in it about a month ago and I kept the winch from the Sammy to put on it as well.

I also had a '90 Geo Tracker, aka, Suzuki Sidekick that I messed with for a while. I put on some coil spacers and ran some 235's on it completely stock otherwise. That thing would go anywhere and did it nicely. I should have kept that truck, but at the time I had a '98 Accord, '98 Z-71, '88.5 Sammy and my Radian............insurance loved me. :whistle:

PhiSig1071
02-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Nice Pics!

Mr Lefty
02-15-2009, 11:09 AM
yeah those little zukes are fun! a friend swapped in all toyota shit... motor, axles, trany and transfercase... fuck'n thing rides on 35's... goes ANYWHERE...

but alas... my truck is gone... :panic:

ZUKIMON
02-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I just couldn't see swapping over the entire driveline from a Yota. That little 1.3 in the Zuk had a cam and rebuilt engine and it would haul with Zuks that had the 1.6 conversion on smaller tires. :D I have some extra '85 axles that I planned on putting in, but decided against it as I never had any problems with breaking birfs or shafts. ;) I wheel hard but I know the limits of axle parts and what the truck should and should not be able to do. I have been really lucky not to break much over the years but there will always be unforseen issues that you cannot control.

Mr Lefty
02-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah never understood all the guys braking berfs... :idk: ill be looking for 89 and older runner when I can get the xterra paid off. I love runners

ZUKIMON
02-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Runnah's are kewl. I had an '86 carbed, IFS. It was pretty well stock, 2 door that I did nothing with. I should have kept the thing and sold it now. They pull a good price if they're in good shape.

It's easy enough to break a birf if you set the condition for it. I've been in a few stucks between rocks that I could have popped the darned thing if I hadn't been cautious about it. I've also seen guys get in the same place as me and end up killing one by simply trying to power their way out instead of finessing it. :D

Mr Lefty
02-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Runnah's are kewl. I had an '86 carbed, IFS. It was pretty well stock, 2 door that I did nothing with. I should have kept the thing and sold it now. They pull a good price if they're in good shape.

It's easy enough to break a birf if you set the condition for it. I've been in a few stucks between rocks that I could have popped the darned thing if I hadn't been cautious about it. I've also seen guys get in the same place as me and end up killing one by simply trying to power their way out instead of finessing it. :D

yeah exactly... ya can't be lead footed about it. but who knows... my 85 had 33's and blew a head gasket on the trip UP to ak and I had to trade it in on my 92 before I could do anything wheeling with it... :idk: