PDA

View Full Version : Its about time...

Crazy
03-15-2008, 01:40 PM
It took forever but I finally got the bike I want!!!

Test ride: this dealer has a policy/service of taking you on a test ride (as in you follow some other dude on a ducati). That was pretty helpful because I wouldnt have done as extensive of a test ride by myself. Took me through some twisties and hills, shifted fine, revved fine, so by the time I got back I was pretty convinced. after the test ride the bike had 6666 miles on it.
After the paperwork we loaded her up and brought her home. unloaded at a loading dock with the help of 3 other people.

first impression... obviously way faster than my 250 :lol:... riding around town I was surprised that I pretty much never got higher than 2nd or 3rd gear (I kept trying to down shift a few extra).
And it goes from 0 to illegal in no time flat. Its not the fastest bike out there but I'll be impressed with it for a long time.
I'm not sure i understand how the neutral finder works (not the same as the 250) but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.
It feels very light, very easy to handle, and its decently comfortable.
Also on my 250 I was used to revving it a little high (up to around 9-10K). When you are just riding around town when do you shift usually?

Also, they did not put a stock tire on it. any opinions on the battlax?
And, the chain was not rusted, it was a dirty gold chain. It also has a master link, so I might replace this for safety (apparently its not a good idea to have a master link if you are riding hard).

I have plenty of mods planned but for now, at least until I get some cash (read: next winter at the earliest) its gonna stay stock except for minor things like fender eliminator, flushmounts, etc.

I would have some nicer pics but its raining...:td:

I'm planning on riding a lot this week so hopefully the weather will clear up.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3317.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3319.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3322.jpg
my friends truck is BADASS!! :lol:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3324.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3325.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3329.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3333.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3332.jpg
(yes thats the price tag on the tire still)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3338.jpg

NONE_too_SOFT
03-15-2008, 01:44 PM
glorious day

Cutty72
03-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Congrats!

As for the neutral indicator. On the 250, it is idiot proof, anyone can find neutral. the SV takes a bit more, but it's still not hard, you'll get used to it.

Final price on the thing???

Crazy
03-15-2008, 02:35 PM
4475 Otd

marko138
03-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Nice man.

Cutty72
03-15-2008, 02:44 PM
good deal. :rockwoot:

pickle.of.doom
03-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Sweet ride :dthumb: Great choice.

1 tip: I would lose all the keychains you have on that key, they will fly around in the wind and scratch the shit out of your top triple. I had just one of those rubber dealer tags on mine and have a big circle of scratches from it. Now my bike keys are either just a key or a ring/keychain small enough to where it can't reach anything when in the ignition.

Crazy
03-15-2008, 02:48 PM

1 tip: I would lose all the keychains you have on that key, they will fly around in the wind and scratch the shit out of your top triple. I had just one of those rubber dealer tags on mine and have a big circle of scratches from it. Now my bike keys are either just a key or a ring/keychain small enough to where it can't reach anything when in the ignition.

trust me, I DEFINITELY am not gonna have those keys on my keyring when I ride. the only reason I had it on when I took that pic is because I only have one key for the bike, and I don't want to lose it (and I tend to lose things) so I stuck it with the rest of my keys. But thanks for looking out. :dthumb:

Cutty72
03-15-2008, 02:49 PM
trust me, I DEFINITELY am not gonna have those keys on my keyring when I ride. the only reason I had it on when I took that pic is because I only have one key for the bike, and I don't want to lose it (and I tend to lose things) so I stuck it with the rest of my keys. But thanks for looking out. :dthumb:

You need to change your ride in your user CP now too.

NONE_too_SOFT
03-15-2008, 02:49 PM

yea, take the rings and shit off. BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE KEEP SOMETHING ON IT THAT WONT SCRATCH.

i lost my key w/ drewpy at the gas station cause i dropped it down through my forks on accident. it ended up getting stuck underneath my gas tank cause i had nothing on it cept for a single key ring.

i have a deals gap dragon on it now.

pickle.of.doom
03-15-2008, 02:52 PM
yea, take the rings and shit off. BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE KEEP SOMETHING ON IT THAT WONT SCRATCH.

i lost my key w/ drewpy at the gas station cause i dropped it down through my forks on accident. it ended up getting stuck underneath my gas tank cause i had nothing on it cept for a single key ring.

Yeah, same here. I have one of those little 3/4" diamond shaped DG keytags on one bike, and a 1/2" rubber duckie on the other.

Cutty72
03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
i have just the dealers keytag on mine.

vabarber2
03-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Congrats and Good Luck!! Glad to hear you got it now knock the dust off of her and ride! I usualy shift around 6 when in town! Zuks are a little tricky for N when riding, but with time you'll get used to it! I have a buddy who rides battle axe, never tried them personaly!

Mr Lefty
03-15-2008, 09:56 PM
GORGEOUS! :dthumb:

congrats! now go out and ride... rain or not!

azoomm
03-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Congrats on the new ride!!

Phenix_Rider
03-15-2008, 11:23 PM
The BTO20 is a good tire. Good mileage and traction. I have 7,000 miles on my stock tires and they're just ready for replacement. The rear is pretty square, and the front is scalloped (might be from improper inflation- didn't check as often as I should). That deep tread is good for in the rain. They don't like gravel, but what tire does? Tar snakes and irregular pavement aren't too bad.

I'm moving up to Pilot Road 2s I'm getting a smokin' deal on, so I'll see how they compare. Those should be in and mounted next saturday. I'm only paying $135 for the front and $159 for the rear. Compare that to almost $200 each from Parts Unlimited. Kneedraggers is almost that low though.

As far as shift points... the 650R and SV have the same redline, but different dyno curves, but easy riding I usually shift at 5500-6000 RPMs. Harder I'll shift at about 9500-10000 because power drops off above there. Never really ridden an SV, but in the showroom it takes a little fishing to find neutral (not as much as a Buell though). The Kawi is the nicest bike I've ridden in that regard.

I have a 2" long rubber hotrod keychain I got at my insurance agent. Never had a problem with scratches, but sometimes it gets stuck between the handlebars and ignition making it difficult to remove with gloves on.

Crazy
03-15-2008, 11:29 PM
the only reason i ask about the shifting is that I want to make sure I'm not harming the engine by revving high like I'm used to. Honestly tho I just need to get out there and ride, I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Phenix_Rider
03-15-2008, 11:42 PM
the only reason i ask about the shifting is that I want to make sure I'm not harming the engine by revving high like I'm used to. Honestly tho I just need to get out there and ride, I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Long as you don't try to rev to 15,000 RPM, you won't hurt it.

Trip
03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
very nice, you will enjoy it.

fnfalman
03-16-2008, 04:15 AM
That sweet thang needs a Leo Vince exhaust. A first generation SV650 equipped with Leo Vince made me a believer. All of my bikes wit the exception of the Beemer are sporting Leo Vince exhausts, even the little scooter.

PS I got house key in a key chain with each of the motorbike's key set. I guess I simply don't give a shit about scratching the triple clamp.

marko138
03-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Don't constantly bounce it off the rev limiter and you won't hurt anything.

Mule
03-16-2008, 05:13 PM

you sir, are quite a fucking tool....what's with you and keys, g'dammit

vabarber2
03-16-2008, 06:19 PM
you sir, are quite a fucking tool....what's with you and keys, g'dammit
:lol: He has a point though! Its how most bikes get scratches! On the triple or the tank!

No Worries
03-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Nice SV. Here's my keychain story. In late 1985, Suzuki came out with the GSX-R, and I used to visit the Suzuki dealer often hoping for a test ride. While there, I received a leather keychain with the 650 Tempter logo stamped on it. I put the key to my GS on it. One day it went missing. I used my spare key until I cleaned out the porch area where my Samoyed always slept. There under her blanket was my key with the leather keychain neatly chewed off.

pickle.of.doom
03-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Haha, I wonder how many rides your dog took while you were out of the house :D

the chi
03-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Congrats!!! I am super excited for you!! I remember when you didnt even have a bike at all, and look at ya now, moving up!!! Good job, cant wait to hear the updates!! :dthumb:

Cutty72
03-17-2008, 11:55 AM

It's a V-twin... you can shift ANYWHERE and be ok.

Anyway... Redline is at 11K... Rev limiter is at 12K
Riding aggressively, I shift at about 10K
Putzin around town, shift about 5-6
Powerband hits around 3500-4000

LaFemmes
03-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Congrats.
Work those tires in carefuly.

t-homo
03-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Congrats on the bike man. Looks nice.

Crazy
03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
so everytime you start up the bike there is this "whirring" noise for a second or two, what is that? am I not supposed to start the bike until it stops?

another thing, I only got 1 key with the bike. What type of key blank do i need? should I just call a dealer and ask?

one more thing, is there any point in getting sliders? to protect the upper?

vabarber2
03-18-2008, 10:00 PM
The dealer should be able to make you a copy!

azoomm
03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
so everytime you start up the bike there is this "whirring" noise for a second or two, what is that? am I not supposed to start the bike until it stops?

another thing, I only got 1 key with the bike. What type of key blank do i need? should I just call a dealer and ask?

It's fuel injected, right? Let the pump prime, yes.

Go to the dealer, they should take care of the key.

They are called FRAME sliders for a reason... to protect the frame. Though, you will get conflicting opinions on them and whether anyone should have them or not. Personally, I don't care for them and wouldn't ever put them on my bikes - well, not the long straight ones... only the smaller mushroomed ones that go under the plastics that are designed to save the hard parts.

Phenix_Rider
03-19-2008, 09:41 AM

Electronics check and fuel pump priming. Let it finish. I've heard talk of bikes running rough and/or gauges acting up otherwise.

z06boy
03-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Nice bike man...congrats !! :rockout:

Cutty72
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM

The whirring is the fuel pump... you don't have to wait for it, but i generally give it a second before I hit the starter.

As for the key, any lock shop can cut you another one. Cost me $3 for a new one.

Crazy
03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
okay usually I'm not in a rush to get the bike started so I will wait but just wanted to make sure.

I'm thinking the dealer's gonna charge me way more than a locksmith.

Cutty72
03-19-2008, 11:32 AM
okay usually I'm not in a rush to get the bike started so I will wait but just wanted to make sure.

yes... yes they will

Trip
03-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Let me know if you need some parts, I still got some for that bike. I need to ebay these to pay for what I just spent on my bike.

Puig clear double bubble

R&G no cut lower fairing sliders, these are the best no cuts I have ever seen and I don't think they are anything like normal no cuts. Its a two point heavy duty bracket.

Watsen flush mount paint matched front flushmounts with oem hookups

I have some other pieces I don't remember right now as well.

Crazy
03-19-2008, 12:09 PM
can you PM me a pic of the flush mounts?

Trip
03-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Yeah, I have them at home though. So I will have to do it in a couple hours.

byron12
03-19-2008, 01:44 PM

AAA it pays for itself in one hundred mile tow or one locksmith visit i am a true believer. Very nice bike btw good work and congratualtions.

Cutty72
03-19-2008, 03:00 PM

They're gonna look like this... but the right color. :lol:

http://www.watsendesign.com/Suzuki_Products/SV/sv2.JPG

DLIT
03-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Damn. Nice find. Get rid of those Bridgestones ASAP. Congrats.

Phenix_Rider
03-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Damn. Nice find. Get rid of those Bridgestones ASAP. Congrats.

Nothing wrong with them unless you plan to ride hard on the track.

DLIT
03-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Nothing wrong with them unless you plan to ride hard on the track.

They look like hard plastic wheels found on kids toys.

Trip
03-19-2008, 06:40 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/reactortrip/IMG_4519.jpg

Phenix_Rider
03-19-2008, 06:48 PM
They look like hard plastic wheels found on kids toys.

Not everyone needs the stickiest tire or the most race-ready bike. :squid:

DLIT
03-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Not everyone needs the stickiest tire or the most race-ready bike. :squid:

Is there something wrong with opening somebody's eyes on something way better than what they have now?

Phenix_Rider
03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Is there something wrong with opening somebody's eyes on something way better than what they have now?

I've just heard enough wiseguy comments about one bike or tire being the be- all and end-all. Especially when The hot-shot rider is going to move onto something faster or stickier in two months.

DLIT
03-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I've just heard enough wiseguy comments about one bike or tire being the be- all and end-all. Especially when The hot-shot rider is going to move onto something faster or stickier in two months.

That's not me. There's far better tires out there. Far better.

Phenix_Rider
03-19-2008, 07:28 PM
That's not me. There's far better tires out there. Far better.

My point is the Bridgestones will work until he's used to the bike. Why throw out or try to resell a brand new tire? Plenty of time for new rubber later.

DLIT
03-19-2008, 07:30 PM
My point is the Bridgestones will work until he's used to the bike. Why throw out or try to resell a brand new tire? Plenty of time for new rubber later.

I see your point, don't get me wrong. I'm the type that will take off the stock tires at 500 miles and replace 'em with Powers. That's what I did on my current bike.

Crazy
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
well the main difference is that I'm still a newb and you are already dragging knee on the track. I'll ride these out for a while and then when the front wears out I'll probably replace both of them. I plan on having this bike for a long time...
Tires, suspension, brakes...all of these performance mods don't make any sense until you are a good enough rider that you can notice the difference. Which I'm not. Yet.

DLIT
03-19-2008, 10:13 PM
well the main difference is that I'm still a newb and you are already dragging knee on the track. I'll ride these out for a while and then when the front wears out I'll probably replace both of them. I plan on having this bike for a long time...
Tires, suspension, brakes...all of these performance mods don't make any sense until you are a good enough rider that you can notice the difference. Which I'm not. Yet.

Your rear will wear out first. I see your point. You don't have to be fast to rock good tires though. Certain tires will handle certain conditions better. That's all I was saying. I'm not saying to get those tires because I use them and I'm fast and drag knee. I'm saying it because they're a very solid tire with good life-span and excellent traction, simple as that.

Phenix_Rider
03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Your rear will wear out first.

Should be interesting to see the results. My front and rear each have 7,000 miles on them and they're evenly matched for wear. Since the front is used already, it's a race to the belts for Crazy:lol:

marko138
03-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd replace stockers with zero miles with a set of Pilot Power. Bottom line. Once you ride a sticky set of tires...you will never ride shitty tires again.

Cutty72
03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm anxious to see how the Corsa III's handle on the 1125, especially after Trips little ordeal

marko138
03-22-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm anxious to see how the Corsa III's handle on the 1125, especially after Trips little ordeal

I can tell you, in dry conditions, they handle excellently.

Mr Lefty
03-23-2008, 12:33 AM

he went down in a corner... since there are none in ND... you'll be good... shit you could ride that shit in the snow

ceo012384
03-23-2008, 03:21 AM
Awesome dude... looks to be in great shape. Glad you finally got it!

Cutty72
03-24-2008, 01:04 AM
he went down in a corner... since there are none in ND... you'll be good... shit you could ride that shit in the snow

FYI, 250's don't do very well in the snow :whistle:

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 01:27 AM
FYI, 250's don't do very well in the snow :whistle:

:lol:

Dave
03-24-2008, 02:13 AM
congrats crazy! looks like a nice one