PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: GM disbands High Performance Vehicle Operations

pauldun170
02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/breaking-gm-disbands-high-performance-vehicle-operations/

Homeslice
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Exactly the opposite of what they should have done. Except for those cars, nothing else in GM's lineup is very interesting. Furthermore, if you were an engineer, you would put out your best work when you're allowed to work on interesting vehicles.

Adeptus_Minor
02-19-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm sure our resident GM backer will have some insight as to why they made this decision, but to me it looks like the same sort of bad decision making we've been seeing from them for a long time.
They get a model 'right', and then they axe it.
The company is marketing a whole line of bland vehicles and then they axe the division that provided some spice.
:idk:

MikeSP1
02-19-2009, 05:13 AM
This is just what GM is good at, killing off a good thing. Keep the rigs that they just axed, and pitch the rest. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm ok with buying a bland pos from a bland manufacturer. Have they axed the Corvette yet? I'd expect that out of them, follows with the logic.:whistle:

Homeslice
02-19-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm sure GM will issue a press release claiming that people aren't interested in performance cars anymore due to the economy. :rolleyes: So we'll get a repeat performance of the late 70's/early 80's where the imports dominated the performance market for 10 years and America didn't recover until about 84/85.

RACER X
02-19-2009, 07:52 AM
damm the reality, HiPO cars make up a tiny picture of GMs big picture, wonder what cobalt SS sales are compared to reg.cobalts. what less then 5%

while i hate to see it go. it's a sign of the times.

hoping the camaro comes out next yr. they've cancelled the RHD drive version for europe

then there's these issues:

"The Cadence-and-Camaro saga continues. Cadence, which makes interior parts for the Camaro, declared bankruptcy last August. GM sued the supplier to recover the specialized tooling machines it could need in order to continue Camaro production - or will it need to have the machines made again. GM also refrained from paying Cadence $4.9 million that Cadence says it is owed for "parts, labor, and equipment."

Cadence has now countersued The General, not just to get the money, but because that money is an integral part of Cadence's liquidation plans. Without it, Cadence maintains there will be "substantial harm to Cadence's bankruptcy estate." The pre-production Camaros are already in the works, and we have no idea how this development will affect the production version of the car. This battle can't be good for either company, but it's especially bad news for all of the Camaro faithful who are patiently awaiting the return of their king.

All contents copyright © 2003-2009, Weblogs, Inc. All rights reserved"

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/camaro-supplier-sues-gm-right-back/

pauldun170
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks to every idiot and their mom saying "GREEN GREEN GREEN", planners figure that XFE editions of every car is the way to go.

Glad Ford labelled all there turbo engines "ecoBoost".

Makes idiots feel all squishy inside that they hare being "green".

Adeptus_Minor
02-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks to every idiot and their mom saying "GREEN GREEN GREEN", planners figure that XFE editions of every car is the way to go.

Well, if they'd hurry up and develop Mr. Fusion we could all go green and have hover drive.

Dave
02-19-2009, 09:27 AM

yup just another corporate designed fad that makes people (morons) feel trendy, hip, and good about themselves. doesnt really matter. i expect this will give a nice boost to aftermarket suppliers

z06boy
02-19-2009, 09:50 AM
I think it sucks.

unknownroad
02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Exactly the opposite of what they should have done. Except for those cars, nothing else in GM's lineup is very interesting. Furthermore, if you were an engineer, you would put out your best work when you're allowed to work on interesting vehicles.

Can you imagine being an engineer working on the V-series Caddies, and being moved to BUICK! :panic:

Ugh. I can't believe GM's upper management gets paid at all, never mind the seven-figure salaries + bonuses they draw. It's like they all graduated from the Special Needs School of Business.

smileyman
02-19-2009, 11:30 AM

They shoulda been saying "boogity, boogity, boogity boys!"

Sad really. Nothing will save your Corp if you cannot attract buyers, the only way to "catch up" to the rest of the world is thru engineering and development which happens best in racing. Damn NASCAR and their carbuerated V8 mantra. Chevy should have been working on dual OHC, variable timing, turbo and super charging, traction and stability controls, ECU timing and fuel management. Instead they throw millions and millions at making sure Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr's faces appear all over America in front of shit SS Badged Impalas and Monte Carlos:panic:

Dave
02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
umm so whats wrong with buick? Thats the brand that gave us the gs gn and all the supercharged l67s. Plenty of fun stuff there. I'd actually see this as a good thing for buick maybe they'll get back to performance

Dave
02-19-2009, 11:39 AM
They shoulda been saying "boogity, boogity, boogity boys!"

Sad really. Nothing will save your Corp if you cannot attract buyers, the only way to "catch up" to the rest of the world is thru engineering and development which happens best in racing. Damn NASCAR and their carbuerated V8 mantra. Chevy should have been working on dual OHC, variable timing, turbo and super charging, traction and stability controls, ECU timing and fuel management. Instead they throw millions and millions at making sure Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr's faces appear all over America in front of shit SS Badged Impalas and Monte Carlos:panic:

true story!

Adeptus_Minor
02-19-2009, 09:36 PM
umm so whats wrong with buick? Thats the brand that gave us the gs gn and all the supercharged l67s. Plenty of fun stuff there. I'd actually see this as a good thing for buick maybe they'll get back to performance

There's an enlightened man. :dthumb:

Don't confuse their current lackluster offerings with what they've contributed to automotive history.

OneSickPsycho
02-20-2009, 09:35 AM

Yeah, but like most of the HO car lines, they don't pay for themselves... Therefore, it's a great move.

damm the reality, HiPO cars make up a tiny picture of GMs big picture, wonder what cobalt SS sales are compared to reg.cobalts. what less then 5%

while i hate to see it go. it's a sign of the times.

hoping the camaro comes out next yr. they've cancelled the RHD drive version for europe

then there's these issues:

"The Cadence-and-Camaro saga continues. Cadence, which makes interior parts for the Camaro, declared bankruptcy last August. GM sued the supplier to recover the specialized tooling machines it could need in order to continue Camaro production - or will it need to have the machines made again. GM also refrained from paying Cadence $4.9 million that Cadence says it is owed for "parts, labor, and equipment."

Cadence has now countersued The General, not just to get the money, but because that money is an integral part of Cadence's liquidation plans. Without it, Cadence maintains there will be "substantial harm to Cadence's bankruptcy estate." The pre-production Camaros are already in the works, and we have no idea how this development will affect the production version of the car. This battle can't be good for either company, but it's especially bad news for all of the Camaro faithful who are patiently awaiting the return of their king.

All contents copyright © 2003-2009, Weblogs, Inc. All rights reserved"

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/camaro-supplier-sues-gm-right-back/

Exactly. Keep the revenue generating lines, dump the fluff. Sounds like a good decision to me.

bmblebee
02-20-2009, 10:00 AM
What do you expect from the company that brought us the Vega?

OneSickPsycho
02-20-2009, 10:11 AM
What do you expect from the company that brought us the Vega?

Vega fucking ruled.
http://ui07.gamespot.com/678/vega_2.jpg

Homeslice
02-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah, but like most of the HO car lines, they don't pay for themselves... Therefore, it's a great move.

Exactly. Keep the revenue generating lines, dump the fluff. Sounds like a good decision to me.
Don't pay for themselves in terms of margin? Maybe. But just because a car doesn't provide much or any margin to the company doesn't mean it's valuable. GM needs vehicles that attract younger buyers into its brand.

smileyman
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I believe kinda the opposite. Yes the HO cars are produced at a smaller quantity and with probably a smaller profit margin for the manufacturer, HOWEVER, to the dealers they generate floor traffic and their sales bring margins closer to the markups since they are a passionate, special interest, buy. I mean you can really talk the sales manager down on the F150 or Impala, or Taurus. But no way are you going to cut the same kinda bargain on the one per dealer Camaro SS or Cobra SVT Mustang...Those things bring a premium.

101lifts2
02-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Don't pay for themselves in terms of margin? Maybe. But just because a car doesn't provide much or any margin to the company doesn't mean it's valuable. GM needs vehicles that attract younger buyers into its brand.

Specialty models rarely make money for the simple fact the volume is too low. But...the point of an OEM is to attact buyers of all types so they don't jump ship to another OEM...nearly all OEMs understand this. But Homeslice you and others just do not realize the crisis GM is going through. I deal with GM people in MI a few times a week and when you hear GM turned OFF all voicemail, laid off ALL contract workers, denying payments to suppliers you know shit is bad.

I can see GM doing this...axing Saturn/Medium Duty/Saab/Hummer and maybe GMC, only if they file Chapter 11.

101lifts2
02-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Can you imagine being an engineer working on the V-series Caddies, and being moved to BUICK! :panic:

Ugh. I can't believe GM's upper management gets paid at all, never mind the seven-figure salaries + bonuses they draw. It's like they all graduated from the Special Needs School of Business.

There is little difference to engineers IMO. When I worked at GM in their Powertrain group in the diagnostic group, there were four groups: Big Block, Preimium V engines, 60/90degree and the line 4 engines. I was in the 60/90 degree engines and we got anything we needed because those were GMs bread and butter. The line 4's didn't get shit and the Premium guys were treated like they each had PHDs (for some reason), but their budgets were curtailed.

GM has been loosing billions of dollars for a long time now, has been around for over 100 years and STILL has not declared Chapter 11 whereas most companies couldn't go 3 months in the red without BK. GM has a strong desire to survive and the only reason I see why it is still around because they built it so structurally solid, that it is taken so long to bring it down.

Homeslice
02-21-2009, 12:10 PM
But if a young person buys a Cobalt SS, he has a higher chance of "graduating" to other GM vehicles in the future. Think about it, GM needs vehicles like that to prevent the youth market from assuming that only imports make cool vehicles.

101lifts2
02-23-2009, 01:10 AM
But if a young person buys a Cobalt SS, he has a higher chance of "graduating" to other GM vehicles in the future. Think about it, GM needs vehicles like that to prevent the youth market from assuming that only imports make cool vehicles.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying GM is bleeding waaaaay too much and it had to go.

Besides, the young guy buys a truck first then an SS Cobalt.

Adeptus_Minor
02-23-2009, 06:09 AM
And rental companies are still buying fleets of plain cars.

bmblebee
02-23-2009, 08:07 AM
General Motors made bad decisions that have now put them in this position. People stopped buying their cars because they weren't the quality of other manufacturers.

yes, GM has made great strides in improving the quality of their vehicles, My 2006 Saturn is my second Saturn. But, I will also say, it is not as good of car our '01 was, and will be our last, rather GM closes them or not.

Like all mega corporations...and governments...their massive size creates real problems with efficiency and fosters an "I don't give a shit about my job except getting paid" attitude, which drives customers away

Rsv1000R
02-23-2009, 05:06 PM
I wonder if the Car Czar has anything to do with this?

101lifts2
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
General Motors made bad decisions that have now put them in this position. People stopped buying their cars because they weren't the quality of other manufacturers.....

Yeah that is why GM sold more cars than any other OEM in the U.S. since like....1930. LOL

Rsv1000R
02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Chevy should have been working on dual OHC, variable timing, turbo and super charging, traction and stability controls, ECU timing and fuel management.

Um, they already have all of these, some for decades.

pauldun170
02-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Crappy parts, crappy advertising, crappy bean counters, crappy marketing teams, crappy contracts with labor.

GM has put some entertaining cars on the road. They have also put some lookers on the road.

It's that history of building crap that bites the dust after warranty that bites them in the ass.

Toyota builds great appliances...they're day of building entertaining cars are WAY behind them. Unfortunately GM is chasing the Toyota model.

Rsv1000R
02-24-2009, 12:58 PM
... crappy bean counters,

.....Unfortunately GM is chasing the Toyota model.

Just what the bean counters and the Car Czar wants.